Menu

Help me with this room! Part 1

Ok, so the kids' bedrooms are in need of some help (for two different reasons). I'm going to make a separate post for the boys' room.

Pinkalicious' room isn't very big - maybe...9x11ish? 10x12ish? Anyway, it's small and kind of narrow, and there just isn't much room in there. I need to buy her a bookshelf of some kind (she had them all in a basket type thingy, and they're overflowing all over the floor now) but I have no idea where to put it or anything. So here is what the room looks like:

picture 1: looking into her room from the hallway. notice the toys and books (mostly books) overflowing on her floor there? Also, on the wall straight ahead I have a few of her 'dress up' type things hanging, and there is just not room for them there. They are laying all over her little crib thing for her baby doll and stuff.

picture 2: going around the room counter clockwise from first picture, her dresser in the corner and stuff. I can't put anything on the wall under the shelf because her bed is a trundle, and we use it when my grandparents come to visit - I don't know what we would do with anything we put there when they are in town. As it is, it's a stretch getting their stuff to fit in the room.

picture 3: her bed. Pretty self explanatory. Yes, she has to sleep with all those animals. :tongue_smilie: There isn't room under her bed for anything, since it's a trundle and all.

picture 4: basically just have this so you can have an idea of the basic layout of the room. Her toybox is there in front of the door, and there really isn't room for anything between the door and her bed - right now the empty diaper box is sitting there, but nothing permanent could sit there anyway. :)

So, any ideas? How to organize, arrange, what to buy, etc? I'm open to anything!

I'm not great at this stuff - but it looks like some rain gutter bookselves might help with the book problem. The could be any size, and go anywhere you want (like maybe between the window and dresser?).

Would a pet-net above the bed help with the stuffies?

For our dress-up clothes dh installed a bunch of hooks in the closet. I don't know if that's an option for you.

I'll be watching this thread since I'm currently trying to figure out how to make my kids' small rooms work too.

Can you put a bookcase where her dresser is and move her dresser between the closet door and bedroom door?

My dd has many stuffed animals and this Ikea unit is amazing. You can buy pull out bins that hold 15 stuffed animals each. They come in different colors, but I think the expresso brown would be cute in your dd's room. My dd has the 2 X 4 unit and we added 4 pull out bins, (Drona box in white). She keeps shoes in one and the other three are filled with stuffed animals. She keeps books and mementos in the open cubbies. The top of the unit is covered with her stuffed animals too.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=EXPEDIT+Shelving+unit

It might seem a little pricey but they are so versital and well made that she will be able to take it off to college with her and beyond.

Edited by Ferdie

I was also going to suggest rain gutter shelves. What about Command hooks on the back of the door or closet door for dress-up clothes? We love our Expedit cubbies. I'm not sure of closet space, but we keep our boys' dressers in their closet. It was partly because I didn't want them out taking up space, plus we have them positioned so that they can't tip over (the edge would hit the trim of the closet).

THESE are my favorite storage shelves EVER. You can get doors, aka shove and shut the door. Yes everything in me would love open shelving that looks beautifully organized, but it's not going to happen. You can also get interior organizers for them such as pull out drawers, etc. I have 3 wide in my living room with nice white doors, and in each of the kids bedrooms. At first I just got the units, and a couple drawer, and then just added on as budget allows. I store ALL clothing in the closet. I would move her dresser to the closet and get a double wide besta unit for where it is now. You could fit her entire room in that thing.

THIS is what I have to toss all of DD's stuffed animals in. And yeah, I get the stuffed animal zoo! You can just toss them all in, and dump on the bed for sleeping LOL. It is fabric but sturdy, so very lightweight and nothing to get hurt/bumped on and easily moved.

I have THESE in the closets for socks/under things etc except with all shallow ones instead of that huge bottom one. They have wire type drawers that are even cheaper. I meant for it to be temporary until I install a full closet system but it's working too well.

I'm organizing compulsive and I love IKEA:tongue_smilie:

I'm not great at this stuff - but it looks like some rain gutter bookselves might help with the book problem. The could be any size, and go anywhere you want (like maybe between the window and dresser?).

Would a pet-net above the bed help with the stuffies?

For our dress-up clothes dh installed a bunch of hooks in the closet. I don't know if that's an option for you.

I'll be watching this thread since I'm currently trying to figure out how to make my kids' small rooms work too.

I've seen the rain gutter bookshelves, but I've never been clear on just how many books they would hold. It always kind of looked like it would only hold maybe 1-2 deep, and just didn't seem like it would work unless a really long wall could be done.

I guess I didn't specify - she insists on sleeping with all the stuffed animals. ;) So those don't bother me... I had her sleeping with just 3, but she added a new one every few days til she was back up to this. So I figured, whatever, she sleeps well, and she likes them. :lol:

Can you put a bookcase where her dresser is and move her dresser between the closet door and bedroom door?

My dd has many stuffed animals and this Ikea unit is amazing. You can buy pull out bins that hold 15 stuffed animals each. They come in different colors, but I think the expresso brown would be cute in your dd's room. My dd has the 2 X 4 unit and we added 4 pull out bins, (Drona box in white). She keeps shoes in one and the other three are filled with stuffed animals. She keeps books and mementos in the open cubbies. The top of the unit is covered with her stuffed animals too.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=EXPEDIT+Shelving+unit

It might seem a little pricey but they are so versital and well made that she will be able to take it off to college with her and beyond.

If I put the dresser between the closet and the door, I don't know where I'd put her toy box... But it is a thought. I'll need to measure and see how everything would fit. Unfortunately, I really don't know where I'd put the expedit shelf, unless I got one of the smallest ones - and even then, I think I'd have to take some stuff out of her room to get it to fit. It's such a small space. :(

I added a picture of the closet wall so you can see into the closet. The half that's covered up is about 2/3 taken up by a big vent thing (I'm not finding the word for it in my mind) that runs right through there. So space is limited - I currently have 3 tubs in there, and shoes. :)

Lots of room in that closet. Put shelves or a short case unit below the clothes for some of that toy storage. Is the other half of her closet not available? Then when she is older you can do a double hang bar there or something.

Take the toy box and put it under the window so it will then be adjacent the closet with other toy storage. You can then use that space where it is now for either the dresser or a bookcase. This bookcase would look nice in there:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00176264/

Or hang shelves and save some money.

In the alternative you could put the dresser in the closet under the hanging bar and then create a toy storage corner by where the dresser is now and move the toy box there. You need more toy storage than is afforded by that box. Shelves for bins or something. The Expedit is nice or consider something like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/19027/ Then the bookcase can go where the toybox is or to the left of the window.

Maybe add a chair or some sort? Similar to this (check yard sales and stuff):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69897915/#/S89830491

From the pictures it seems like a nice sized room.

Unfortunately, I really don't know where I'd put the expedit shelf, unless I got one of the smallest ones - and even then, I think I'd have to take some stuff out of her room to get it to fit. It's such a small space. :(

What is the actual length between the bed and the corner where the dresser is? I think it would go there. I see it can't go on the wall with the window without covering her heating register.

This room seems a touch larger than the one my sons share but I have never thought of it as an especially small room. Maybe my view is jaded by usually sharing a room with my brother that was large enough for a bed and a small dresser and then no other room to walk around or play. :tongue_smilie:

What really makes my son's room work is that we make full use of the closet for toy and storage space so that all that they have on the floor is their bunk beds and their bookcases.

Is it possible to rearrange???

I'm wondering if you can turn her bed so that the headboard is where the dresser is now/the length runs along the wall with the shelf? That would (I think?) give you more room for pulling out the trundle. Then you can put her dresser & a shelf on the wall where her bed is now. Maybe get a coat rack for the dress up stuff? I'm no good with girl things, LOL! But maybe play with furniture placement and see if that gives you more wall space; it's such a shame to waste that wall because of the trundle. If the trundle pulled out to be in front of the window, then no wasted wall space.

Just a thought...

Lots of room in that closet. Put shelves or a short case unit below the clothes for some of that toy storage. Is the other half of her closet not available? Then when she is older you can do a double hang bar there or something.

Take the toy box and put it under the window so it will then be adjacent the closet with other toy storage. You can then use that space where it is now for either the dresser or a bookcase. This bookcase would look nice in there:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00176264/

Or hang shelves and save some money.

In the alternative you could put the dresser in the closet under the hanging bar and then create a toy storage corner by where the dresser is now and move the toy box there. You need more toy storage than is afforded by that box. Shelves for bins or something. The Expedit is nice or consider something like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/19027/ Then the bookcase can go where the toybox is or to the left of the window.

Maybe add a chair or some sort? Similar to this (check yard sales and stuff):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69897915/#/S89830491

From the pictures it seems like a nice sized room.

Half of the closet is unusable. :( It's unfortunate. On the part I can use, there is a little bit of spare room in there (especially once we are done with diapers - currently the diaper box usually is sitting in there!) but I'm not sure if there is enough for shelving. To the right of the one big gray tub that you can see, there are 2 stacked on top of one another. If my SIL has a girl this year (she's pg and finding out the gender Monday - but girls aren't the norm in DH's family) then I can probably get rid of one of them because it's all clothes I'm keeping for her. Then I could move the one tub and definitely have room for something there - shelves for toy storage or something. I did have the dresser in there for awhile, but the drawers didn't open all that well so I moved it.

The only problem with putting anything on the wall between the bed and the dresser is the trundle. There is just enough room to walk around the trundle when it's pulled all the way out - but we still have to step carefully so we aren't banging our legs into it. :tongue_smilie: And under the window is the vent.

Is it possible to rearrange???

I'm wondering if you can turn her bed so that the headboard is where the dresser is now/the length runs along the wall with the shelf? That would (I think?) give you more room for pulling out the trundle. Then you can put her dresser & a shelf on the wall where her bed is now. Maybe get a coat rack for the dress up stuff? I'm no good with girl things, LOL! But maybe play with furniture placement and see if that gives you more wall space; it's such a shame to waste that wall because of the trundle. If the trundle pulled out to be in front of the window, then no wasted wall space.

Just a thought...

That's an idea. I set it up like this back when we had her in a crib still, and haven't ever thought about rearranging the bed and stuff. Once she wakes up I'll have to go measure that out, too. :D

The first thing I would do is take the storage boxes out of the closet. If it's not in use put it in storage (garage) or get rid of it.

The next thing I would do is put the dresser in the closet. That will free up some wall space.

The third thing I would do is get rid of the toy box and find something with better storage. The box mostly takes up wall space and doesn't provide you with a lot of storage.

From there you should have plenty of space to add books shelves and toy storage to the room. I do like an Expedit for that because it will store books and toys. The fabric bins from target fit perfectly for toy storage.

I did double closet rods in my girl's closet. But you have lots of real estate in there under the closet rod...you could lower the rod so she could reach her own clothes, or you could put in some sort of organizing shelf underneath. I've had luck with both clear plastic boxes (so they can see what's inside) and cloth-sided bins (so they don't have to take the cover off and, more importantly, put it back on!

So here is what I've decided to do. I think. :tongue_smilie:

We are definitely going to switch her dresser with the toy dresser in the boys' room. It will go either where the dresser is currently OR on the wall where the bed is, depending on whether or not I can talk DH into trying to move the bed onto the wall below the shelf.

So, the bed may or may not be moving onto the other wall.

Once my SIL finds out (Monday) what she is having, I will move one tub of clothes out of the closet (either way - either pack them up in the attic to save for if she ever does have a girl, or give to her if this one is - kind of hoping for the latter ;) ), leaving two in there (one is clothes to be sold and the other is clothes she hasn't grown into yet - these I add to/go through relatively often, and would like to keep close at hand), which would open up half of the closet floor. I'm thinking shelves of some kind in there, or something to that effect, anyway, for toys and books. The toy box I'll probably move to the end of her bed and put her dress up stuff in it - and we may buy a pet net for her, as well. As it is, most of her toys are stuffed animals - she doesn't play with a whole lot of other stuff. Between her books and her stuffed animals and a select few toys, she's happy.

So anyway, that's the (tentative) plan as of right now. Thanks everyone for all the input! I'll post pictures when we get it done. :)