Menu

if it was one of you, well, you're not my friend anymore!

Not that it could possibly be one of you, my dear friends. None of you could be capable of something this dastardly. I mean, we're talking truly heinous.

Last March I bought through Amazon a used copy of Suzanne Strauss Art's Story of the Middle Ages. I looked through it, was tickled, and put in on the shelf. Today I was planning out our lessons for next year and realized this book is missing the last 50 pages! Gone! Who the Sam Hill would sell a text book for crying out loud, claim it's in "very good" condition even, with 50 pages missing!?

This just gets my knickers in a twist. I'm kicking myself for not checking sooner - can't return it because it's past the 90 day expiration date for complaints and returns. I have learned my lesson, folks. And as a public service, I am sharing this story so that none of you are duped in this shameful way.

When ordering used books online, check those books, ladies and gentlemen, right away!

Not that it could possibly be one of you, my dear friends. None of you could be capable of something this dastardly. I mean, we're talking truly heinous.

Last March I bought through Amazon a used copy of Suzanne Strauss Art's Story of the Middle Ages. I looked through it, was tickled, and put in on the shelf. Today I was planning out our lessons for next year and realized this book is missing the last 50 pages! Gone! Who the Sam Hill would sell a text book for crying out loud, claim it's in "very good" condition even, with 50 pages missing!?

This just gets my knickers in a twist. I'm kicking myself for not checking sooner - can't return it because it's past the 90 day expiration date for complaints and returns. I have learned my lesson, folks. And as a public service, I am sharing this story so that none of you are duped in this shameful way.

When ordering used books online, check those books, ladies and gentlemen, right away!

Oh man, that is a big bummer! (It wasn't me, I promise.)

Perhaps I'm super disappointed because this book was sold by a homeschooler. Well, I assumed, because this seller had homeschool in their bookstore "name", that s/he was one of us, one of the good and beautiful. And, of course I'm old enough to not make assumptions. But! I just thought we were above that kind of thing, ya know? I mean, it's like being betrayed by your own people.

Ooh! And something else. Every part of the book that mentions the church has hearts drawn in the margins. Ha! It is simply not Christian to mutilate and then sell said mutilated books. I'm just sure there has to be something in the Bible prohibiting that...!

Why would anyone draw hearts in an art book? I cannot understand. I can understand the ripping things out part. Maybe they took out all the art with nudity. :glare: It wouldn't be much of an education but maybe it made them feel better.

Sorry for your loss. (Wasn't me. I've never sold a thing on line)

You guys are the best. I had to really dig, but I finally figured out how to contact the seller. And I practiced compassion, too, you'll be happy to know. I did not accuse the seller of any evil intentions, though that was difficult for me...! We'll see what happens.

Were the pages ripped out? I bought a brand new almanac from Barnes and Noble and discovered that it was missing about 100 pages right in the middle of the book. They weren't ripped out, the book just hadn't been printed correctly. I took it back, and the manager told me it happens all the time! It's the first time it's ever happened to me though.

That happened to me when I ordered a used book from Amazon Marketplace also. I know it's not Amazon's fault, but I've had trouble with almost every order so I just use eBay now. I haven't had any problems on eBay.

Nicole, if you don't get anywhere with the seller, I have this book, and I would pass it along to you for just the shipping cost. I purchased this used. It has a *very* faint smoke smell in it. (I wasn't told that by the seller) I have a pretty sensitive nose, so you may not notice it at all.

Anyway, it's yours, if you want it. :001_smile:

all pictures of Jesus had duct tape over them. Luckily duct tape came off easily without doing damage.

:001_huh: that is strange.

Not really. :) We don't like any images of God or Jesus either. We don't go that far though. We just sort of cover them up and try to ignore them if they are in something we are reading. Just in case we do sell or give away the book later.

I needed the reminder of this thread to check books when we buy them though. I often do the same thing, of just sticking them on the shelf for later. Sometimes waaaayyyy later.

Contact the publisher. They may have had a bad run and are aware that there are books like that in circulation.

I purchased Bartlett's quotations book from Amazon Marketplace, and after a while noticed that a section was missing from the middle of the book. The publisher replaced the book for free after I contacted them.

It is worth a try!

What a huge disappointment that must have been. I'm glad you contacted the seller. I think sometimes people who sell online just pick up books at library and garage sales and only skim the first few pages and assume it's good. I purchased a book last year that looked fine until I skimmed the last half of the book. At least half of it was underlined in pen. The seller apologized, refunded my money and told me that she had never checked the book beyond quickly flipping the pages.

Ooh! And something else. Every part of the book that mentions the church has hearts drawn in the margins. Ha! It is simply not Christian to mutilate and then sell said mutilated books. I'm just sure there has to be something in the Bible prohibiting that...!

Well, it's not in the Bible per se; it's one of the more questionable texts that didn't meet the cannon standards, but:

Bookiticus 4:12--When thou ist sellingith a book of previous usage, thou shalt NOT devalueth the place of the Church in art by drawingeth insipid little hearts in thine margins. I AM THE LIBRARIAN.

There you go. :D

I agree with some others saying perhaps the seller did not realize the pages were missing. I used to sell a lot of books on Amazon, many of which I picked up myself used. I was about to ship a book that I had listed in Very Good condition when I looked at it more closely and discovered a section of the book was heavily underlined and highlighted. I ended up buying another copy of the book to ship. Anyway, hoping the seller will make this right for you.

Well, it's not in the Bible per se; it's one of the more questionable texts that didn't meet the cannon standards, but:

Bookiticus 4:12--When thou ist sellingith a book of previous usage, thou shalt NOT devalueth the place of the Church in art by drawingeth insipid little hearts in thine margins. I AM THE LIBRARIAN.

There you go. :D

I actually did laugh out loud! I'm printing that and putting it on the frige. Or better yet, I'll tape it into a Bible! Ha!

And just to update y'all, this book was heavily used and the binding is the glued kind. It looks like the binding "broke" and the pages fell out. It's clearly a use issue, not a publishing error. Once I bought a book that had the first chapter of one title and the remaining chapters were from a totally different book, same author. I know publishing errors happen. Also, this book is heavily marked and highlighted just at the end. Well, at the end right up to the last missing 50 pages.

Oh! And the duct tape on the pictures of Jesus cracked me up. Every once in a while I feel an urgent need to remind my children that Jesus was actually Jewish and was probably not blond and blue eyed. And then I feel a wicked urge to get out the colored pencils and give the blond Jesus a little makeover. But I never have done that. Or resorted to duct tape.

OHHHH, Book mutilation is a real crime in my house. There is not even a chance to speak your case with that offense. It is very punishable here. No toys two days, no computer two days, no life other than your bed again two days!!! There is no I'm sorry either and we will not discuss it. I learned very early on that you will not tear up books.

Oh! And the duct tape on the pictures of Jesus cracked me up. Every once in a while I feel an urgent need to remind my children that Jesus was actually Jewish and was probably not blond and blue eyed. And then I feel a wicked urge to get out the colored pencils and give the blond Jesus a little makeover. But I never have done that. Or resorted to duct tape.

OH, this is a peeve of mine. Irks me greatly to find pictures of Jesus as if he were fair skinned and light-eyed. It irks me when it's done to Mary, too. I see the fair Mary a lot around Christmas time, in nativity scenes, etc.

Nicole, if you don't get anywhere with the seller, I have this book, and I would pass it along to you for just the shipping cost. I purchased this used. It has a *very* faint smoke smell in it. (I wasn't told that by the seller) I have a pretty sensitive nose, so you may not notice it at all.

Anyway, it's yours, if you want it. :001_smile:

Lisa! Thanks so much for the offer. I just PMed you about this.

I'm so glad I posted about my pages, because it turned out the seller was perfectly willing to give me a refund. It simply would not have occurred to me to ask, goofus that I am, if it hadn't been for you folks. Thanks all!