Menu

Help a newbie pick curriculum?

mjtsmami

So we're in the process of pulling our oldest this year. The idea has been tossed around for awhile, but it kid of sealed the deal when the school he's currently in tells me he is a full grade level behind in Math and Reading-but he's ok to move on to 4th grade. :001_huh:

He has 2 more weeks of school left...but that's filled with a project this week based on a book they read, field day, desk cleaning, etc.

We purchased the Saxon Intermediate 3 kit and he's already completed a few lessons from that and seems to be doing ok with the review of the concepts, so we're sticking with that for now.

We're think we are going with SOTW Vol 1. They just started geography in the last few months and have been learning about ancient Egypt for the last few weeks, so we figured SOTW 1 would be a good place to start, for now.

Also we are looking at A Reason for Spelling and A Reason for Handwriting, based on the recommendation of a friend. He started cursive about halfway through the year this year and does ok, but isn't very confident with it.

I'm stuck Science, Grammar and Reading wise. His reading has improved from the beginning of the year, but he has little to no comprehension. I was looking at Reading Detectives to help him work on that.

Any help or advice you have we'll take it!

Adjusting to homeschooling is a challenge for a lot of parents and children the first year. While you're getting in the swing of things, you might want to consider not using curriculum materials (except, perhaps, for what you've already purchased) right away. Take some time to do lots of research. Work with your child and identify his learning style and your educational philosophy. In the mean time, take him to the library and let him read books on the topics that interest him. Make sure he chooses books from each subject for which you need to report. Then, as you progress, add in curriculum materials for each subject one at a time after you've had a chance to really evaluate what your needs are.

Do you know why he's behind in reading? Is it *only* comprehension or is it possibly due to the "glance and guess" method of learning to read taught in a lot of schools these days? I would do an evaluation to make sure of WHERE his reading issue is before moving forward with finding a curriculum regarding that.

One of the great things about homeschooling is being able to meet your students where they ARE and work from there. Another great thing is how much it teaches you about your own children. My own son was having "comprehension" issues in school; we pulled him after first grade. He had been diagnosed in the ps speech program with a language processing disorder, but had *graduated* that program... without being able to make simple inferences and conclusions. It took a lot of work to FIND where he was so I COULD meet him there and work forward. Wouldn't change it for the world. If we'd left him in the ps, he'd have been swept along easily, meeting and exceeding minimum appearances but never really "getting" it, and then falling behind in higher grades because of a lack of understanding. I'm so glad we pulled him when we did, and wish we'd pulled him sooner!

Anyway. Back to curriculum choices....

For grammar, we like Rod & Staff. Chances are a 3rd grader just coming out of the ps would need to start with the 2nd "level" book. It's very ahead of the curve, only goes through level 10 instead of 12, most kids taking 2 years through each of those last 2 levels. Very systematic, very thorough - but too much "as is" for just one homeschooling child as it was written for private schools. We do the oral drills and the worksheets, plus the composition exercises (which I allow a full week of working on), and skip the book's "written exercise" section. It's about finding your groove, and is an EXCELLENT program. Your child will KNOW grammar with this one.

Reading... good literature, plus a vocabulary program that will teach the comprehension basics such as context clues, antonyms/synonyms, main idea, etc. I'm actually still looking for something myself. :)

Science... also not my strong point. Recommendations will vary depending on if people prefer Christian or secular science, how much teacher involvement is needed, workbooks vs living books vs research vs mostly experiments... TONS available for science.

For our family: I don't want teacher-intensive, because I don't do science. My oldest didn't do crafty, NOR did he do read-and-regurgitate (regular textbook method). All that has worked so far has been SOS, Christian CD-ROM curriculum by Alpha Omega. My next two are more hands-on and visual, have asked for reading and worksheets as well as experiments and crafty - they want it ALL. We're doing CKE this year, and I think AiG God's Design series would work well also. Simple experiments, short lessons, coloring pages and reading lists to boot. :) We did love the Creation series by Media Angels, unit study style but limited on areas of study.

Our family's flops include Considering God's Creation (too teacher intensive, and too crafty for my oldest), AOP LifePacs (workbook method, crazy odd experiments with weird supplies), Great Adventures (WAY too crafty, cut and paste), WTM method (teacher intensive). And probably more that I can't remember. LOL

Àndrea has posted some wise advice. I second it. I tend to prefer diving in head first, going full speed ahead. Not the best course of action for a new homeschool Mom or child. First, cover the basics. Sounds like you have that and I would second Rod and Staff. We used it in the beginning, tried other programs and eventually came back to it. :)

Read lots of books together. Assess where he really is with reading. Get a copy of The Well Trained Mind. Read it through. Its a valuable resource. Take things slow this year and have fun. :)

So we're in the process of pulling our oldest this year. The idea has been tossed around for awhile, but it kid of sealed the deal when the school he's currently in tells me he is a full grade level behind in Math and Reading-but he's ok to move on to 4th grade. :001_huh:

He has 2 more weeks of school left...but that's filled with a project this week based on a book they read, field day, desk cleaning, etc.

We purchased the Saxon Intermediate 3 kit and he's already completed a few lessons from that and seems to be doing ok with the review of the concepts, so we're sticking with that for now.

We're think we are going with SOTW Vol 1. They just started geography in the last few months and have been learning about ancient Egypt for the last few weeks, so we figured SOTW 1 would be a good place to start, for now.

Also we are looking at A Reason for Spelling and A Reason for Handwriting, based on the recommendation of a friend. He started cursive about halfway through the year this year and does ok, but isn't very confident with it.

I'm stuck Science, Grammar and Reading wise. His reading has improved from the beginning of the year, but he has little to no comprehension. I was looking at Reading Detectives to help him work on that.

Any help or advice you have we'll take it!

I think you and/or we need more information.

For example, starting with reading because all other subjects are likely to be impacted by reading issues: What exactly does little to no comprehension mean? What can he read well in terms of decoding? What can he read in terms of comprehension (if anything)? How many words per minute can he read at a level of reading that still allows him comprehension (if anything fits that). How is his comprehension of auditory material (like read-alouds)? How is his comprehension of things like movies?

Does how he is doing seem to you to not fit with what you think he seems able to do--that is, are you trying to see how to get him up to doing material that fits his official grade? Or does he need to be moved down to the lower grade level and work from there consistently? Is he actually at the level of a grade behind, or does the idea of little or no comprehension actually mean that he is more than a year behind?

Did he fall behind this year after having been at grade level before this time, or has he consistently been "behind," or is he gradually catching up or gradually falling more and more behind? What is the school using, which seems not to be working for him? Do you suspect any issues such as dyslexia etc.? Especially for anything you can learn from the school and his teachers, you might want to do that before teachers leave for the summer. A talk with his teacher(s) about what you might work on over the summer and how might be helpful to get their perspective, even if you do not actually follow the suggestions. If you would be on good terms you might even be able to say that you will be homeschooling but would appreciate any insights that they might be willing to share.

ETA: For my son whom I pulled out of bricks and mortar schools because he was not learning, I used High Noon materials for reading. My son had almost non-existent decoding abilities rather than comprehension issues, but the program also has materials that are targeted to comprehension issues. I suggest you look at their materials in their catalog, and perhaps call them as they can be helpful by phone. They are well suited to your son's age group. Primarily because reading was an issue, we also ended up using Math U See as my son's main math program. We did SOTW mainly via audio recording. Science via National Geographic and BBC films since it was not accessible via written materials. We are working on grammar and writing now, after having gotten reading up to where it should be, but all work done on that before his reading was in place seems to have been a waste of time and energy.

However, Institute for Excellence in Writing materials say they (their outlining system) have been helpful for some children with increasing reading comprehension, so you might have a look at that. It uses grammar only as it comes up in the writing, no diagramming or grammar exercises per se in the materials I have seen.

Edited by Pen

I think you and/or we need more information.

For example, starting with reading because all other subjects are likely to be impacted by reading issues: What exactly does little to no comprehension mean? What can he read well in terms of decoding? What can he read in terms of comprehension (if anything)? How many words per minute can he read at a level of reading that still allows him comprehension (if anything fits that). How is his comprehension of auditory material (like read-alouds)? How is his comprehension of things like movies?

Does how he is doing seem to you to not fit with what you think he seems able to do--that is, are you trying to see how to get him up to doing material that fits his official grade? Or does he need to be moved down to the lower grade level and work from there consistently? Is he actually at the level of a grade behind, or does the idea of little or no comprehension actually mean that he is more than a year behind?

Did he fall behind this year after having been at grade level before this time, or has he consistently been "behind," or is he gradually catching up or gradually falling more and more behind? What is the school using, which seems not to be working for him? Do you suspect any issues such as dyslexia etc.? Especially for anything you can learn from the school and his teachers, you might want to do that before teachers leave for the summer. A talk with his teacher(s) about what you might work on over the summer and how might be helpful to get their perspective, even if you do not actually follow the suggestions. If you would be on good terms you might even be able to say that you will be homeschooling but would appreciate any insights that they might be willing to share.

He has struggled for the last few years. Originally, the school said it was because 1st grade he never got that "teacher attachment" he started the year with a long term sub that was supposed to be there until Nov, and then until after Christmas break, and then until after winter break...etc. Finally after Memorial Day they decided to let the sub finish the year with the kids, but I believe that's where he started to fall behind and slip through the cracks.

Last year in 2nd he was labeled "that" kid. The one who couldn't focus, wouldn't listen, wouldn't do his work. He unfortunately was assigned to a teacher that was retiring at the end of the year and I think she was just not happy that she had a difficult child for her last year. Even his teacher this year said that his 2nd gr teacher went in with one foot out the door.

He has been borderline grade level in reading and math for the last 2.5 years, and while I've pushed to get him help, they pushed back that he didn't need it-it's behavioral. They sent us at the end of last year to have testing done, and it came back as ADHD-mixed type. This was supposed (according to the school) to allow him to get an IEP or a 504 for his extra help. Once they had the diagnosis, they said they were going to "try" and help him without it and recommended we look into medicating him.

Currently this year, while he has been a struggle for his teacher, his teacher understands him and tries to help. Reading, if you go just by him reading and the mistakes he makes per min or page-he's where he should be. But when you add in the comprehension, it brings it way down. Reading aloud, it's better, but not as good as his brother who's 2 years younger. Movies though-he's great at remembering those.

For example, they are reading Caleb's Story in class. They had been reading the series over a few weeks, and they were supposed to write 5 predictions that they thought would happen in the next book. He had an extra few days to do the assignment, so we reread it together. I can ask him 5 seconds after he reads a section and he can't remember what he's read. When they did his testing last June, he did score low on the short term memory scale, and he told us that it would be a struggle and that DS would have to learn to overcome. I also suspect it's partly the way he learned to read. He struggled with it for awhile, so it seems like now he worries more about getting the words right than actually reading and getting the info.

Math has always been a struggle for him. Again, part of it is a memory issue. He has problems remembering simple addition facts. He, in school is testing at an entering 3rd grade level. We did a few placement tests at home when we were looking at Math programs and he placed at an entering 3rd. We've started a bit with Saxon, and there's been moments where he'll be like "Oh, NOW I get it."

He gets pulled for reading help every day/every other day. From January-March he was going into school 2x a week an hour early for an extra help program in reading and math, but once the NYS test came through, the program was over.

I want to kind of keep him on a similar plan as if he was going to public school. My ex isn't thrilled with the idea, but is willing to let us try it to see if there's improvement. Plus, while I want to focus on Math and reading, I want him to have fun subjects he likes, like science, history etc. My plan is to have a lot of his reading coming from books he chooses at the library, as well as books we use to "research" history. He loves reading about other cultures. I'm hoping that by getting more books that he is interested in the subject, will help him develop comprehension as well.

The one thing we have started with Math, and I've noticed it's helped, so I'm going to encourage it in reading is that he takes the words that are blue in his lesson (math vocab if you will) and looks up the meaning in the glossary and writes it down. We read it together in the lesson, then he rereads it in the glossary and then he writes it and he's actually remembering things. He loves sticky notes, so I'm thinking of giving him a pencil and a note pad and he can jot down things he find interesting/important to remember from what he's reading.

He works very well one on one. I've noticed it, and his reading and class teachers have said it as well. But they also admit they don't have the time to devote to him for everything.

I have mentioned that we might be pulling him at the end of the year, but haven't said anything concrete yet. His teacher feels it's best for him to be in school...you know, socialization and all that.:glare: I did said that we want to continue to work on math and reading this summer, so any suggestions would be great, and got no response.

I'm in NY and I've heard mixed reviews on my district and homeschoolers. There is a list of guidelines, so I'm trying to get the major stuff on the list filled to avoid any issues.

Edited by mjtsmami

Math has always been a struggle for him. Again, part of it is a memory issue. He has problems remembering simple addition facts. He, in school is testing at an entering 3rd grade level. We did a few placement tests at home when we were looking at Math programs and he placed at an entering 3rd. We've started a bit with Saxon, and there's been moments where he'll be like "Oh, NOW I get it."

RE: math facts I recommend something like "Times Tales". It uses a simple story to help kids memorize math facts. There may be other things like it. It's great for kids who don't pick up math facts through repitition.

I'll leave the reading issues to the more experienced hs families out there.

I also pulled my kids from ps. We started hs at 2nd and 4th grades, and just finished our second year of hs. What I learned was that the first year is a HUGE adjustment, both for me and the kids. Suddenly I had no free time and had to be the expert, the teacher, the superwoman, and the kids could no longer view home time as the goof off place (compared to behaving seriously at school).

For your first year, aim to be as simple as possible. Seriously. The first year is the transition year, the learning curve year. So make it easier on you and him by choosing as simple a program as possible. Your focuses are clearly math and LA, so let history and science just be fun. Go with with simple for science. You've been given some good curriculum ideas. You can even print off science stds for his grade level if you like, use that as a guide for topics and just do science 2 or 3 times a month. Make it hands-on and with as little book work as possible, if any. Just have a little worksheet that sums up what he learned in your lesson. The point of science in elementary is to show the kids that science is fun, not to have them memorize the periodic table and the laws of science. Do the fun, amazing experiments that'll catch his attention.

For history, SOTW1 is a great place to start. But don't go in feeling like you have to do all the activities, or even do one activity every time. Often, I just read through the lesson aloud, or let the kids take turns reading, they do a coloring sheet, and we may or may not do a timeline character. We always do the maps. And that's it. I only do the activities that look really interesting and that are easliy accomplished. I don't expect my kids to remember everything. They'll get that when they're older.

And aim to finish school each day before lunch time. Free yourself up to low key afternoons or put all your fun activities in the afternoon. Make your hs experience fun and low stress for the poor kid. Help him find that learning is fun and not torture. When you can get him to see that, half your battle is won.

Hope that helps!

-Melissa

Don't feel pressured to fix everything at once. There is time.

Bill Nye and Magic School Bus videos are all you need for science. Seriously.

Children often learn the most from the things we put the least money and effort into.

:iagree:

The most I had my dc do for science in the younger grades was read a few books now and then: Let's Read and Find Out Series, Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers, etc. I also got a sturdy, but not too expensive microscope and a few fun experiment kits and things like Snap Circuits. I just let my dc use the stuff when the interest hit them. I never directed any of it or even helped. When I had my oldest two dc tested for the first time, at grades 5 and 6, they both tested well over grade level in science. In fact, my ds' highest score was in science and it was several grade levels ahead.

Now, I have to say, we didn't plan to be that lax with science. I, too, am not a science person. My dh volunteered to teach science for me, but after only a week or two it got left by the wayside. My dh likes to joke that it was HIS unschooling method of doing science that worked so well. :lol: I'm following the same "method" with my younger two. Science will be interest-led and nothing formal until 7th or 8th grade.

I'm always amazed by the suggestions not to worry too much about history and science. I like the idea of following interests and doing things more on the fly. Magic School Bus and How Things are Made and such are great ideas. However, one of the benefits of homeschooling are the meaningful projects that makes the subject come alive, that helps them remember because they enjoyed it. Now, I do agree not to go haywire, running yourself into the ground by doing every activity possible for every topic. But I'd more likely skip the basics for now than the history/science. There is another reason for that, btw. You can find some fun materials (Pinterest!) to practice what he needs. But giving yourselves time will allow you to find out where he really is, what his learning style is, what materials will be best for him (interest, ability, etc). It may be just filling in a few gaps then you can jump in at a little higher level.

OH, and on that? School is SO spiral that a lot of times you can jump in at grade level and fill in gaps as you go rather than backing up. My own son was forced to do similarly as we tried the virtual academy. They made us start at his age-based grade level which he wasn't really close to ability wise. We had to work hard, but he was low side of average by the end of the year and fine after a few more months.

So....anyway, *I* would focus on the history and science as you take some time to learn more about how he learns as well as try to fill in some gaps as you see them. Then you can fill in curriculum as you go :)

He has struggled for the last few years. Originally, the school said it was because 1st grade he never got that "teacher attachment" he started the year with a long term sub that was supposed to be there until Nov, and then until after Christmas break, and then until after winter break...etc. Finally after Memorial Day they decided to let the sub finish the year with the kids, but I believe that's where he started to fall behind and slip through the cracks.

Last year in 2nd he was labeled "that" kid. The one who couldn't focus, wouldn't listen, wouldn't do his work. He unfortunately was assigned to a teacher that was retiring at the end of the year and I think she was just not happy that she had a difficult child for her last year. Even his teacher this year said that his 2nd gr teacher went in with one foot out the door.

He has been borderline grade level in reading and math for the last 2.5 years, and while I've pushed to get him help, they pushed back that he didn't need it-it's behavioral. They sent us at the end of last year to have testing done, and it came back as ADHD-mixed type. This was supposed (according to the school) to allow him to get an IEP or a 504 for his extra help. Once they had the diagnosis, they said they were going to "try" and help him without it and recommended we look into medicating him.

I suggest you crosspost this thread onto the special needs part of these forums, since you may be able to get more specific suggestions about working with a child who has ADHD-mixed type there.

Currently this year, while he has been a struggle for his teacher, his teacher understands him and tries to help. That is good, but sounds like too little, too late, alas.Reading, if you go just by him reading and the mistakes he makes per min or page-he's where he should be. But when you add in the comprehension, it brings it way down. Reading aloud, it's better, but not as good as his brother who's 2 years younger. Movies though-he's great at remembering those.

I'm glad to hear about the movies, since, if he understands well in addition to remembering, it seems to suggest the comprehension issue is just about reading, not a comprehension problem in general. It also gives another way to get some content learning with documentaries at the same time as you are working on the reading.

For example, they are reading Caleb's Story in class. They had been reading the series over a few weeks, and they were supposed to write 5 predictions that they thought would happen in the next book. He had an extra few days to do the assignment, so we reread it together. I can ask him 5 seconds after he reads a section and he can't remember what he's read. When they did his testing last June, he did score low on the short term memory scale, and he told us that it would be a struggle and that DS would have to learn to overcome. I also suspect it's partly the way he learned to read. He struggled with it for awhile, so it seems like now he worries more about getting the words right than actually reading and getting the info. This sounds like a good analysis of what is going on. I again think the special needs board may be of help...some of the people who post there seem to rarely read over here. Possibly at the same time as reading things that interest him, it would help to go back and review reading skills to just get that more easy for him so he can focus on the meaning not the words. And if reading aloud helps, you might want to have him do that a lot, with all sorts of material, but especially things that interest him, and then discuss it.

Math has always been a struggle for him. Again, part of it is a memory issue. He has problems remembering simple addition facts. He, in school is testing at an entering 3rd grade level. We did a few placement tests at home when we were looking at Math programs and he placed at an entering 3rd. We've started a bit with Saxon, and there's been moments where he'll be like "Oh, NOW I get it." There are games and so on that can be used specifically for memory work. Also Right Start math games might be worth your taking a look at as a fun way to practice math facts. Some people have been talking about a program called Learn Math Fast, which I don't have any knowledge about, but sounds interesting. OTOH, if Saxon seems to be helping, maybe that will do it for him.

He gets pulled for reading help every day/every other day. From January-March he was going into school 2x a week an hour early for an extra help program in reading and math, but once the NYS test came through, the program was over.

I want to kind of keep him on a similar plan as if he was going to public school. My ex isn't thrilled with the idea, but is willing to let us try it to see if there's improvement. Plus, while I want to focus on Math and reading, I want him to have fun subjects he likes, like science, history etc. My plan is to have a lot of his reading coming from books he chooses at the library, as well as books we use to "research" history. He loves reading about other cultures. I'm hoping that by getting more books that he is interested in the subject, will help him develop comprehension as well. That sounds like a wonderful plan.

The one thing we have started with Math, and I've noticed it's helped, so I'm going to encourage it in reading is that he takes the words that are blue in his lesson (math vocab if you will) and looks up the meaning in the glossary and writes it down. We read it together in the lesson, then he rereads it in the glossary and then he writes it and he's actually remembering things. He loves sticky notes, so I'm thinking of giving him a pencil and a note pad and he can jot down things he find interesting/important to remember from what he's reading. That sounds like his is able to be calm and focussed in his learning when engaged? This sounds like a wonderful discovery of something that will help with the memory issue--and a technique that he could use throughout his school years and maybe even beyond. If he likes stickies you can also use them as he reads to note words that need to be looked up, to copy interesting information, and so on. They could also be used to jot down things (key words, dates, quotes, outline notes) that then could be used to write from when he gets to that stage. My son doesn't like stickies for his schoolwork--I think you are lucky that yours does because they are very versatile tools.

He works very well one on one. I've noticed it, and his reading and class teachers have said it as well. But they also admit they don't have the time to devote to him for everything. Which means homeschool should help a great deal!

I have mentioned that we might be pulling him at the end of the year, but haven't said anything concrete yet. His teacher feels it's best for him to be in school...you know, socialization and all that.:glare: I did said that we want to continue to work on math and reading this summer, so any suggestions would be great, and got no response. Oh well. glad you tried. You'll find many ways get social contacts outside of school.

I'm in NY and I've heard mixed reviews on my district and homeschoolers. There is a list of guidelines, so I'm trying to get the major stuff on the list filled to avoid any issues.

If his age allows him to be registered as a 3rd grader rather than 4th grader, that could reduce a lot of pressure, and allow you to work with him at his level rather than feeling you have to do the things he is not ready to do.

Great Source, I think it is, has some materials that are meant to write notes in while reading, I think the idea is to help the child to think about things like predicting what will happen and so on-- that is, to engage critical thinking and active thinking while reading, rather than just reading words. I think they are called Daybooks, like Science Daybooks and Reading Daybooks. And I think they are available from Rainbow Resource. You could look at the sample pages and see if you think something like that would help him and also fit with the official guidelines--or just be something he can work with when you are not able to do 1 on 1 with library materials and so on. Spectrum's 3rd grade science workbook, which is really science based reading comprehension, is pretty good for giving some basic knowledge that one would like someone to have, such as what is an element, something about Pavlov's dogs, and so on, and is supposedly set to meet state standards. The 3rd grade Spectrum seems to be harder than the 4th grade Daybook. MUS, the math program that went well for my son, btw does NOT fit the scope and sequence for most states, so if you need to fit those that could be a reason to not use MUS. But I think people find a lot of ways to do what they discover their child needs in order to learn well, and then describe it in ways that fit the guidelines, rather than adhering to guidelines if those are not working for the child. Some people homeschool because that is just what they always wanted to do, but many of us left bricks and mortar schools because the usual approach was not working.

The book Bite Size Science is not a book that fits academic guidelines, but might be of interest to you as something to read in small chunks, picking whatever is of interest, and working on comprehension that way.

It sounds to me like your are on the right track with what you are doing!!!

Hi there,

I just wanted to say that pulling your child to homeschool is wonderful. These kids learn so much better when taught to their learning style by a parent that loves and understands them.

I'm going to suggest you locate a PhD Neuropsychologist and get a full NP evaluation. Try to locate someone that is experienced and enjoys working with children. The reports that the NP provide help tremendously by identifying your child's needs, strengths, and suggesting ways to teach him. NP reports also provide a paper trail for later, should you decide to place your child back in ps.

Secondly, consider visiting the SN board. The Moms there are incredibly helpful and can advise you more specifically. Also, whatever curriculum you select, teach to his strengths. Encourage him in areas outside of the classroom and if you can, find a support group of local homeschooling Moms for encouragement.

Edited by Heathermomster

:grouphug:

Most NY schools teach a lot of sight words. I have remediated a lot of students with problems from learning sight words and other whole language influences. (They now call it balanced literacy.) Nonsense words and spelling are key to overcoming the problems caused by sight words.

You can give the MWIA to see if there is a problem from sight words. I have reading grade level tests and the MWIA on my testing page.

My free online phonics lessons are helpful for many students. They are designed for children in the 2nd grade and older with problems from sight word teaching. They use the book of Romans. (they are linked below)

You can also work through the materials on my how to tutor page.

If his age allows him to be registered as a 3rd grader rather than 4th grader, that could reduce a lot of pressure, and allow you to work with him at his level rather than feeling you have to do the things he is not ready to do.

The NY regulations allow the parent to decide what grade the student is in, regardless of age, based on the student's needs and previous level of achievement.

See the Questions and Answers:

"39. Must the IHIP for a six-year-old indicate that the instruction is on the first grade level?

No. As with any age, instruction should be geared to the level appropriate to the student's needs and previous level of achievement." [bold is mine]

Also, reporting him at a lower grade allows you the most time to improve his skills before standardized testing is required (5th grade).

I recommend reporting at the grade level that is most appropriate to his ability and needs, even if you choose to keep him with his age-mates for all other grade leveled activities (sports, clubs, etc). Nobody but the district needs to know the grade level you put on his IHIP. :)

The NY regulations allow the parent to decide what grade the student is in, regardless of age, based on the student's needs and previous level of achievement.

See the Questions and Answers:

"39. Must the IHIP for a six-year-old indicate that the instruction is on the first grade level?

No. As with any age, instruction should be geared to the level appropriate to the student's needs and previous level of achievement." [bold is mine]

Also, reporting him at a lower grade allows you the most time to improve his skills before standardized testing is required (5th grade).

I recommend reporting at the grade level that is most appropriate to his ability and needs, even if you choose to keep him with his age-mates for all other grade leveled activities (sports, clubs, etc). Nobody but the district needs to know the grade level you put on his IHIP. :)

That was originally what I intended to do-but one of the moms in my district told me that if the school wasn't technically "holding him back" and my ex was on the fence about the issue, that in court, we could have issues if it came to that.

Since it is on record that he is behind in those subject areas, we're putting him in 4th grade for everything else, and 3rd grade for reading and math-which is similar to what his reading teacher said is on his school record currently.

NY, from what I can tell and have been told, doesn't necessairly have specific guidelines per grade, but has a set of guidelines for 1st-8th and 9th-12th regarding subjects per year, units/half units etc. I'm trying to make sure I'm dotting all my i's and crossing all my t's in case my ex does a 360 and we end up in court.

:grouphug:

Most NY schools teach a lot of sight words. I have remediated a lot of students with problems from learning sight words and other whole language influences. (They now call it balanced literacy.) Nonsense words and spelling are key to overcoming the problems caused by sight words.

You can give the MWIA to see if there is a problem from sight words. I have reading grade level tests and the MWIA on my testing page.

My free online phonics lessons are helpful for many students. They are designed for children in the 2nd grade and older with problems from sight word teaching. They use the book of Romans. (they are linked below)

You can also work through the materials on my how to tutor page.

Oh, the sight word lists. Yeah, my 1st grader had 120 for 1st grade-finished those and did the second first grade list...I can't remember the number of words he's memorized this year. Total opposite of his brother.

I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

Hi there,

I just wanted to say that pulling your child to homeschool is wonderful. These kids learn so much better when taught to their learning style by a parent that loves and understands them.

I'm going to suggest you locate a PhD Neuropsychologist and get a full NP evaluation. Try to locate someone that is experienced and enjoys working with children. The reports that the NP provide help tremendously by identifying your child's needs, strengths, and suggesting ways to teach him. NP reports also provide a paper trail for later, should you decide to place your child back in ps.

Secondly, consider visiting the SN board. The Moms there are incredibly helpful and can advise you more specifically. Also, whatever curriculum you select, teach to his strengths. Encourage him in areas outside of the classroom and if you can, find a support group of local homeschooling Moms for encouragement.

If I could get it covered by insurance, I'll definitely do that. I paid out of pocket for his ADHD eval last year and I'm still waiting on my ex to repay that. Money is kind of tight...I don't have a very helpful ex, if you cant tell by my posts.:D

That was originally what I intended to do-but one of the moms in my district told me that if the school wasn't technically "holding him back" and my ex was on the fence about the issue, that in court, we could have issues if it came to that.

Since it is on record that he is behind in those subject areas, we're putting him in 4th grade for everything else, and 3rd grade for reading and math-which is similar to what his reading teacher said is on his school record currently.

NY, from what I can tell and have been told, doesn't necessairly have specific guidelines per grade, but has a set of guidelines for 1st-8th and 9th-12th regarding subjects per year, units/half units etc. I'm trying to make sure I'm dotting all my i's and crossing all my t's in case my ex does a 360 and we end up in court.

It is true that you can use materials from various grade levels with your child, but you will have to report his grade level as one or the other on the IHIP. I've always assumed it's that way so the district can keep track of when testing is due.

See SECTION 100.10 OF THE REGULATIONS OF THE COMMISSIONER OF EDUCATION:

"(d) Content of Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP).

Each child's IHIP shall contain:

(1) the child's name, age, and grade level;"

And, yes, if your ex disagrees with holding your son back, it could potentially cause problems. You know your situation best. :)

Ah, my son has working memory issues. It can be such a struggle. I highly recommend Writing With Ease, once you get going. Or just dong narrations of everything the reads. Get him used to telling you about what he read. It may have to be after every sentence at first, then he may be able to hold longer thoughts in his head and do it after every few, then every paragraph, etc.

First Language Lessons also has dictation, which really helps with this. Just start wtih REALLY short passages...shorter than you think. When we started in 5th grade my son couldn't remember a 4 word sentence that was read to him. NOw he can do much longer passages.

Narration and dictation really were the secret to helping with my son's working memory issues. We also did a lot of Brainware Safari games...it's a computer program to help brain skills like memory.