Menu

Would you buy this book?

I'm looking at used copies of a book that is hard to find new to use as a spine for one of our subjects next year (how's that for vague ;)

Here's the description of the book:

Light shelving wear with minimal damage to cover and bindings. Pages show minor use

It's listed as being in good used condition.

I typically only buy if books are in very good or like new condition but I'm wondering if I should get this. It sounds more used than I would like a book that we'll use every day to be, but on the other hand, it doesn't sound so bad. :001_huh:

Would you get it?

I would (and have) provided the feedback is good, etc. Whenever I've bought a book described like that, it has arrived in great condition. My experience has been that some sellers are more thorough and don't describe a book that's been shelved for some time as new. That's only my experience; YMMV.

To me, it sounds like the seller is doing her best to be really honest. She doesn't want you to get the book, thinking it looks absolutely brand-new, and be disappointed because it is apparent the book has been on her shelf for a while. I'd actually respect that over a breezy "looks brand-spanking new" description because, unless it is still wrapped in original packaging, there *will* be some wear.

… Light shelving wear with minimal damage to cover and bindings. Pages show minor use

It's listed as being in good used condition. …

Would you get it?

If I trusted the description to be accurate, and were ok with the price, I would get it.

My main question is, what exactly does "Pages show minor use" mean? If that includs writing, highlighting, etc., I mght not get it, unless the price was very, low.

Good luck.

If it was a book I felt I had to have and couldn't be sure that I could get elsewhere, I probably would order it. But, I would probably be ready to purchase new if the opportunity came along. I guess it depends on your budget and the costs of the book.