Menu

Is it ok to pay my kids to read?

julie4

this mostly applies to my 12 yo dd who is an advanced reader, but is reluctant to read anything out of her comfort zone. I created a reading list for all my kids which includes some of their choices and some of mine. I was thinking of offering an incentive (like cash) if they complete their list this summer.

Bad idea? Curious of everyone's thoughts on this. We always read during the summer but have never really done a list and it's always been their choice, so not the best quality books. I really want to open their minds to all the great books out there and to encourage them to try different types of books.

Thanks.

The research on summer reading says letting kids pick the books improves their reading ability more than quality literature.

Rewards on that level make me personally uncomfortable... Whenever someone wonders if it's a good idea to do a reward system, I always think they should read just the introduction to Punished by Rewards if they never have. And then if you're not swayed or it doesn't make you think twice, then fine, but hear the other side out.

My default position is anti-incentive but I did try bribing my firstborn through phonics lessons because I just knew he would love reading once he could and that he could get there quickly if he applied himself and I was right - he did. He's had his nose stuck in a book ever since. He just didn't have my vision. That helped me realize that at times, having a more tangible and shorter goal to keep in sight enables forward movement until we catch the bigger vision. I'm still for their prudent, rather than liberal, use.

I have at times payed my kids to read. I did with both of my older kids to get them from that stage of fluently reading chapter books to fluently reading complex books (Verne or Alcott type books). I haven't regretted it either time, and both times the kids were happy for the extra push. Now my older dd asks me to assign her more complex non-fiction books because she wants to read them but has trouble making herself stick to them. She doesn't need the monetary reward to read them and knows that she'll be glad that she completed them. My ds attributes a good portion of his success in college to his ability to quickly read and comprehend complex material.

Both times I did this, I asked the kids if they wanted to be rewarded and let them choose the books. I'm keeping it as a valid option for when my youngest gets to the same stage. Right now, she's working on the fluently reading chapter books and is terribly proud each time she finishes a chapter.

I wouldn't. Not for a 12yo, at least. Maybe a 6yo, who needs an extra incentive to get passed the CVC stage.

For a 12yo, I'd start doing a once a month read with just her. Pick a book that the two of you can discuss and build on - use it for bonding time. Have you read Deconstructing Penguins? The thought process in that book would lend itself well to finding something the two of you could dissect together and really enjoy. Not only will it open her up to better literature, but it'll give her the skills to think critically about the books she reads on her free time. I wouldn't think about nixing the non-great literature she reads, however. Just open the door for her to think for herself.

For free reading, I dealt with this by having a pile of books that my kids are free to choose from. As I replenish the pile over time, I add books that are slightly more difficult.

I'd also assign harder books to read during school time. And be sure you read books with complex language aloud too.

All of this is to say that I wouldn't pay for reading.

I would not pay them to read. They are allowed to participate in the summer reading programs that offer prizes at the library thought.

Free reading they can pick the books from the library (we go at least once a week) but have to include one science and one history of choice in their selection.

Assigned reading is progressive and discussed as it becomes more difficult. I also read aloud almost daily during the school year and a few times a week on our summer schedule.

We as adults like to be rewarded for something extra. Our husbands get bonuses or a pay raise; why shouldn't children have the same.

While I don't believe in making everything a reward because a child should be able to challenge themselves with the end result being that they walk away feeling good about themselves. But rewarding something like summer reading is pretty harmless to me.

I only reward summer reading. Remember that all books are not created equal; so reward accordingly.

I say no harm done. At the same time they will be learning how to manage their money.

I have always been reluctant to "pay" my kids for anything. But my dd10 responds well to money. I really wanted her to strive to read a little more. $20 went a long way! I couldn't believe how excited she was to read. All she needed was a little incentive.

I would not pay them to read. They are allowed to participate in the summer reading programs that offer prizes at the library thought.

Free reading they can pick the books from the library (we go at least once a week) but have to include one science and one history of choice in their selection.

Assigned reading is progressive and discussed as it becomes more difficult. I also read aloud almost daily during the school year and a few times a week on our summer schedule.

I was going to mention that different businesses do summer reading programs. We are participating in Barnes and Nobles and Half Priced Books summer incentive programs. Mensa also has a book list and if you read all the books on the list and send it to them, they'll mail a t-shirt. We're using that list to participate in the other programs. :)

My little guy is not reading independently yet, so I'll be reading a lot too. :lol:

I think it's fine to pay them to read. I'd rather them read and save up some money than to get cheap prizes from the library. . . and there's really no difference - both are rewarding for reading.

I would challenge them, and the more challenging the book the more $$ it's worth.

I think it is fine to pay them also. Maybe not for every book, but as an incentive for extra books or to encourage attempts at more challenging literature. Whatever motivates is great and most kids don't have lots of opportunity to earn money so I know mine would love it.

My answer is no.

But I am allowing my son to participate in our library's summer reading program, which will give a free book for reading a certain amount. Possibly other prizes as well. I suppose in a sense that is the same thing, but it feels different.

I have paid my oldest to read before. She was reluctant to read a series I knew she would love and she just needed that extra push. She rapidly read the entire series, than used the money she earned towards buying another book ;)

Paying to read isn't something I'd do all the time, but I have been considering doing this for a time for my oldest son, too. He just needs a little push, too.

I have at times payed my kids to read. I did with both of my older kids to get them from that stage of fluently reading chapter books to fluently reading complex books (Verne or Alcott type books). I haven't regretted it either time, and both times the kids were happy for the extra push. Now my older dd asks me to assign her more complex non-fiction books because she wants to read them but has trouble making herself stick to them. She doesn't need the monetary reward to read them and knows that she'll be glad that she completed them. My ds attributes a good portion of his success in college to his ability to quickly read and comprehend complex material.

Both times I did this, I asked the kids if they wanted to be rewarded and let them choose the books. I'm keeping it as a valid option for when my youngest gets to the same stage. Right now, she's working on the fluently reading chapter books and is terribly proud each time she finishes a chapter.

Yes, I guess it would be more of an incentive to push them to the next level. They all read well, but get stuck in a rut & are reluctant to try something new. After ds read his first biography he was hooked, but getting him to just try it took some incentive. Maybe the incentive of gift cards for bookstores or kindle downloads would be a good idea. Thanks for all the responses.

I wouldn't. Not for a 12yo, at least. Maybe a 6yo, who needs an extra incentive to get passed the CVC stage.

For a 12yo, I'd start doing a once a month read with just her. Pick a book that the two of you can discuss and build on - use it for bonding time. Have you read Deconstructing Penguins? The thought process in that book would lend itself well to finding something the two of you could dissect together and really enjoy. Not only will it open her up to better literature, but it'll give her the skills to think critically about the books she reads on her free time. I wouldn't think about nixing the non-great literature she reads, however. Just open the door for her to think for herself.

I will need to look into that book, I have heard about it. So, by reading together do you mean me reading to her, taking turns reading aloud or just both reading the same book then discussing? Or maybe it doesn't matter? Thank you, great idea.