Menu

adult acne....gonna eliminate something in my diet

and wondering: how long after beginning elimination should i see a difference (if the food is actually what's causing my skin to break out so bad)?

i can't wait too long for results because it's chocolate. and if it is not the offender, i must return to consuming it multiple times a day to preserve my sanity.

i feel so ugly right now and i am SICK of acne. at 36 this should be over and done. i've been battling some level of breakouts since i was a teenager and i can't stand it anymore. it's on my face, neck, back, arms. yes, you read that right. my arms.

i started 50 mg of zinc about a week ago and see no difference. it's not chelated though, so maybe it's a waste.

this is such a downer.

I've done really, really strict elimination diets. You might want to read up on how to do one. It's basically going mono food and adding in one thing at a time and really focusing internally/externally for reactions.

Try some medicated Head and Shoulders shampoo, that can be really helpful. If I get something funky going on, I use it as a face wash also. I'm partial to the Ocean Breeze label.

The biggest offender of food related acne is gluten products. Can you try a Gluten Free diet without going insane?

Using a really strict routine for skin care is hard, but the results are worth it.

Are you having cystic acne? Or is it blackheads/whiteheads or a mix? Are you using any type of OTC type creams/lotions now? What have you tried in the past?

Try eliminating all forms of gluten: wheat, rye, spelt, barley, triticale, modified food starch ( unless it is from corn -- the label will say if that is the case), barley malt, barley malt extract, and vinegar made from fermented grains ( real apple cider vinegar is fine). This will be difficult, as gluten products are so widely available and so much cheaper than gluten free.

My sister stopped breaking out, I stopped breaking out, and my teenage children have stopped breaking out after cutting gluten out of their diets.

It will take at least a few weeks to see a difference, perhaps longer. It varies by person.

Hope this helps! Getting off of gluten is tough but you could not only see a major difference in your skin if you are intolerant, but you will feel better overall too.

Desiree

well, i've never tried to go gluten free. it certainly does not sound fun at all. i am vegetarian, so i already have eliminated a food group! however, since my early teens, i have, what i believe, is a carb "sensitivity" that has caused me to have auras and even full-blown seizures. this has not happened in years, because i am very strict about how i consume carbs in terms of 1) specific foods that seem to be worse for me 2) portion size and 3) speed at which i eat the carb - the faster i eat, the greater the potential for problems.

this has always baffled neurologists who claim that seizures can't be caused by carb intake, but it correlates exactly for me, so i know it is my case. so, with that in mind, all who have mentioned gluten sensitivity: would you be even more inclined to believe this given what i told you?

re: inquiries about my skin care regimen...i currently wash with clearasil 2% sal. acid wash. i've varied from virtually the most basic sensitive thing you can find to probably the harshest. i've used proactiv. i've used the oil cleansing method. currently, i have some sort of sulfur mask that i use too. sometimes, i swipe my whole face with alcohol when i get so frustrated i can't stand it anymore. i've swung from moisturizing to not. i've tried to be gentle. i've seen dermatologists. NOTHING WORKS. well, i think a round of antibiotics worked for a brief period in my late teens.

i'm breastfeeding, so docs have always been leery about giving me much of anything - topical or oral.

i have some blacksheads, whiteheads, and maybe what might be considered cystic (i don't know???) - they're bigger than others but i don't have any scarring (just post acne marks that take a while to fade.)

ugh...if you've read all this, bless you!

My oldest had a furious time wading through this. You find all your alcohol bottles and dump those right down the sink today. No! No! No!

What condition are your fingernails and hands in? That can make a huge and immediate improvement.

You might be dealing with both topical bacteria, food and shocked skin all at once. Vitamin D is very helpful also, and most ladies are highly deficient. Do you do any other supplementing at all other than the zinc?

Is your skin dry, oil, combo? How would you describe it?

My oldest had a furious time wading through this. You find all your alcohol bottles and dump those right down the sink today. No! No! No!

What condition are your fingernails and hands in? That can make a huge and immediate improvement.

You might be dealing with both topical bacteria, food and shocked skin all at once. Vitamin D is very helpful also, and most ladies are highly deficient. Do you do any other supplementing at all other than the zinc?

Is your skin dry, oil, combo? How would you describe it?

but the alcohol makes it feel so clean!

not sure what you're getting at, but my hands and nails look great.

i was just taking a regular prenatal vitamin, but when i started the zinc, i dropped the prenatal to make sure i didn't od on zinc. no other supplements at this time. i've always been just a multivitamin person, rather than tailoring it with specific vitamins. except the occasional vit.d during an illness.

i've never been tested for vitamin levels by a doctor.

i'd say my skin is overall oily? but i'm not sure about that. maybe combo? it only "feels" dry in winter. and of course i have the daily devil and angel on my shoulder thing with one saying "moisturize for wrinkles" and the other saying "swim in alcohol to get rid of your zits".

seriously? at 36. with three children. when i look in the mirror, all is see is a haggard teenager face. like a teen whose been living life a little too hard - zits and the signs of aging all at the same time. it's not a pretty picture, let me tell ya!

About the hands/nails...dry skin or hangnails...long fingernails...can all harbor bacteria and spread it if you are a "face toucher". I'm totally a face toucher. If I am having a problem, the first thing I go for is my hands and nails and be sure to wash and trim them well, see that they are in good shape. With a lot of home care, one can really get into some harsh chemicals over a simple day without thinking too much about it..and ...if you are a face toucher, whammo, it's a problem.

That alcohol is drying your skin and tightening your pores, basically frying the top and holding in any infection. You'd be way better off to get some very soft (Egyptian is nice) white face towels and keep them JUST for you, everyone else, hands off...and doing a skin care routine with even just Dove bar soap a few times a day with warm water. Even if you need to set a timer to remind yourself, do it. It sure can't hurt.

Is the problem area on your back and arms related in any way to your bra area? You might have some latex stuff going on there.

Are you okay with your water supply out there? You feel the quality is good? Sometimes we get things in our water that can irritate our face.

About the hands/nails...dry skin or hangnails...long fingernails...can all harbor bacteria and spread it if you are a "face toucher". I'm totally a face toucher. If I am having a problem, the first thing I go for is my hands and nails and be sure to wash and trim them well, see that they are in good shape. With a lot of home care, one can really get into some harsh chemicals over a simple day without thinking too much about it..and ...if you are a face toucher, whammo, it's a problem.

That alcohol is drying your skin and tightening your pores, basically frying the top and holding in any infection. You'd be way better off to get some very soft (Egyptian is nice) white face towels and keep them JUST for you, everyone else, hands off...and doing a skin care routine with even just Dove bar soap a few times a day with warm water. Even if you need to set a timer to remind yourself, do it. It sure can't hurt.

Is the problem area on your back and arms related in any way to your bra area? You might have some latex stuff going on there.

Are you okay with your water supply out there? You feel the quality is good? Sometimes we get things in our water that can irritate our face.

well, i am a face toucher and a picker. i know i know....scold me. i deserve it.

and i don't drink enough water. ever. there are days i get ready for bed and look at dh and say, you know the only thing i drank today was two cups of coffee. that in and of itself could be huge i'm sure. i don't take time for myself to do much of anything.

the face washing multiple times a day with dove is definitely something i could do.

water supply is a well. it's never been tested for anything, but we did add a softener a couple of years ago because it's rock-hard otherwise.

my arms and back are not related to my bra. it's more the top of my upper arms and then randomly across my upper back and chest. i shower immediately after getting sweaty (if i manage to workout).

my arms have always been bumpy and the doctors have always called it keratosis pilaris. but those bumps have something in them which is why i call it acne.

keep it coming....i really appreciate the help!

forgot to add that my fingernails are fairly short and well manicured (at home). i'm a frequent handwasher though. but probably not frequently enough to keep up with the face-touching.

I would recommend trying the paleo/primal diet for 30 days (you could do something like Whole30) and see if your acne improves. It's a pretty common side effect of paleo eating (clear skin). Basically you would be eliminating these foods: dairy, grains, sugar, legumes, vegetable oils (except olive oil/coconut oil). Dark chocolate (at least 85% dark) would still be ok. FWIW, grains/dairy/sugar are three top contributors to acne as they all lead to inflammation which underlies the issue.

Not eating those foods might sound restrictive but honestly it's not - the paleo/primal recipes are so satisfying and good. You eat meat/animal protein/vegetables/fruit/nuts/seeds and it's going to give you a lot more energy too which is a nice bonus as a mom.

Here's the food pyramid I follow: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/introducing-the-new-primal-blueprint-food-pyramid/

Here's an article about acne and paleo: http://thepaleodiet.com/dietary-cure-for-acne-book

but if one is opposed to meat eating, how could this work? i'm vegetarian.

i'll check out the links you posted. thanks!

I would recommend trying the paleo/primal diet for 30 days (you could do something like Whole30) and see if your acne improves. It's a pretty common side effect of paleo eating (clear skin). Basically you would be eliminating these foods: dairy, grains, sugar, legumes, vegetable oils (except olive oil/coconut oil). Dark chocolate (at least 85% dark) would still be ok. FWIW, grains/dairy/sugar are three top contributors to acne as they all lead to inflammation which underlies the issue.

Not eating those foods might sound restrictive but honestly it's not - the paleo/primal recipes are so satisfying and good. You eat meat/animal protein/vegetables/fruit/nuts/seeds and it's going to give you a lot more energy too which is a nice bonus as a mom.

Here's the food pyramid I follow: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/introducing-the-new-primal-blueprint-food-pyramid/

Here's an article about acne and paleo: http://thepaleodiet.com/dietary-cure-for-acne-book

In addition to whatever you decide to do with diet, get the Panoxyl bar of soap (Walmart, ~$6) to use in the shower. You will find it in the acne medication aisle. Wash your face and body with it 2x per day. You can even wash your hair with it if you have scalp acne. Let the soap suds stay on your skin for a minute or two before rinsing it off. If it drys your skin too much, start with once per day.

have you had good results with this? i'm pretty sure i used it years ago, but it's definitely been awhile.

In addition to whatever you decide to do with diet, get the Panoxyl bar of soap (Walmart, ~$6) to use in the shower. You will find it in the acne medication aisle. Wash your face and body with it 2x per day. You can even wash your hair with it if you have scalp acne. Let the soap suds stay on your skin for a minute or two before rinsing it off. If it drys your skin too much, start with once per day.

well' date=' i am a face toucher and a picker. i know i know....scold me. i deserve it.

and i don't drink enough water. ever. there are days i get ready for bed and look at dh and say, you know the only thing i drank today was two cups of coffee. that in and of itself could be huge i'm sure. i don't take time for myself to do much of anything.

the face washing multiple times a day with dove is definitely something i could do.

water supply is a well. it's never been tested for anything, but we did add a softener a couple of years ago because it's rock-hard otherwise.

my arms and back are not related to my bra. it's more the top of my upper arms and then randomly across my upper back and chest. i shower immediately after getting sweaty (if i manage to workout).

[b']my arms have always been bumpy and the doctors have always called it keratosis pilaris. but those bumps have something in them which is why i call it acne.[/b]

keep it coming....i really appreciate the help!

I had keratosis on the backs of my arms and thighs all my life. When I went dairy-free (I'm a vegan), my arms cleared up completely and my thighs are at about 80% clear. I use Amlactin (from Costco) for the 20% that hasn't cleared up. The stuff in your bumps is keratin(protein) that is clogged in your pores, it's not acne. The Amlactin has acids in it that help exfoliate your skin.

As for the acne on your face, I recommend you read the information from the site acne.org. Many here have had success with their products. Using alcohol on your face is not recommended because it can dry out your skin and cause a "rebound effect" in which your skin produces even more oil to compensate for the dryness.

Good luck,

K

i used to use LacHydrin, but it didn't help. i've never tried vegan. i love cheese so much. dairy cheese.

i feel like i need to stop eating everything for awhile. fast for a few days and then start slowing adding back. this is so frustrating. i'll check out that website...thank you!

I had keratosis on the backs of my arms and thighs all my life. When I went dairy-free (I'm a vegan)' date=' my arms cleared up completely and my thighs are at about 80% clear. I use Amlactin (from Costco) for the 20% that hasn't cleared up. The stuff in your bumps is keratin(protein) that is clogged in your pores, it's not acne. The Amlactin has acids in it that help exfoliate your skin.

As for the acne on your face, I recommend you read the information from the site acne.org. Many here have had success with their products. Using alcohol on your face is not recommended because it can dry out your skin and cause a "rebound effect" in which your skin produces even more oil to compensate for the dryness.

Good luck,

K[/quote']

my arms have always been bumpy and the doctors have always called it keratosis pilaris. but those bumps have something in them which is why i call it acne.

I believe dairy is at least as much a culprit as gluten. I've shared here before about a friend whose dh had had acne since high school' date=' such that his nickname was Red. :-( My friend was cleaning up their diet in general, and that included eliminating dairy. Red's face cleared up such that long-time friends didn't recognize him.

So I'd say dairy. And isn't there milk in chocolate? There you go. It can take *at least* a month of being dairy-free to begin to see results.

Also, if you have keritosis pilaris, you might try using a lotion bar on your skin after every bath/shower. I have it on my upper arms; as long as I continue the lotion bar, my arms are smooth. If you do an Internet search you'll find suppliers/manufacturers of lotion bars. I bought some at Pike Place Market in Seattle. :-) Jordan Essentials sells lotion bars (their other products are nice, as well).

Have you been to a dermatologist? Or just your "regular" doctor?

have you had good results with this? i'm pretty sure i used it years ago' date=' but it's definitely been awhile.[/quote']

I started using Panoxyl bar for scalp acne a couple of months ago and it completely cleared it up. I can't believe I wash my hair with a bar of soap but my hair looks fine - not dull. It also works on the rest of the body -- worth a try. You have to use it for a few weeks to see the full effect. For acne on the face you would probably need to use an additional product that sticks around longer -- a 2% benzoyl peroxide cream (you can get this from Neutorogena or acne.org).

I believe dairy is at least as much a culprit as gluten. I've shared here before about a friend whose dh had had acne since high school, such that his nickname was Red. :-( My friend was cleaning up their diet in general, and that included eliminating dairy. Red's face cleared up such that long-time friends didn't recognize him.

So I'd say dairy. And isn't there milk in chocolate? There you go. It can take *at least* a month of being dairy-free to begin to see results.

Also, if you have keritosis pilaris, you might try using a lotion bar on your skin after every bath/shower. I have it on my upper arms; as long as I continue the lotion bar, my arms are smooth. If you do an Internet search you'll find suppliers/manufacturers of lotion bars. I bought some at Pike Place Market in Seattle. :-) Jordan Essentials sells lotion bars (their other products are nice, as well).

Have you been to a dermatologist? Or just your "regular" doctor?

multiple derms. i've gone so far as to sign the accutane wavers but didn't go thru with it. they are reluctant to really do anything for me now due to nursing. the only recommendation i got was to use glycolic acid toner. it didn't really help.

my 20 month old "stole" my mom's lotion bar i got her for Christmas the other day. i used it a few days before returning it to her and noticed my arms did improve in that time. maybe i'll buy myself one. i'm much more inclined to buy nice little things like that for others rather than myself. i'm very frugal with stuff for me.

well, for dairy, i consume cheese daily. probably always have. i rarely drink milk or eat yogurt. it's just cheese. but that of course doesn't take into account all the dairy that's masquerading in other products like chocolate! oh my, a month! well, it's been two days. :001_smile:

Any chance you have PCOS? (insulin/glucose issues, i.e., issues with carbs, would be the culprit there)

i'll have to look that up...

according to webmd, the only thing i have is the acne and possibly some insulin/carb thing (with re: to past aura/seizure issues and carbs). no fertility probs, no hair probs, no weight probs, no period probs...

Edited by jackson'smama
looked up pcos!

i'll have to look that up...

according to webmd' date=' the only thing i have is the acne and possibly some insulin/carb thing (with re: to past aura/seizure issues and carbs). no fertility probs, no hair probs, no weight probs, no period probs...[/quote']

PCOS can have lots of mix and match types of symptoms because it is a syndrome.

There was a study presented at a dermatology conference maybe a year ago where they had success with patients reducing sugar and carbs. If you are insulin resistant, I would be inclined to experiment with reducing those first. I realize it is challenging to do as a vegetarian though (I'm a former veg who stopped eating that way a bit before my PCOS diagnosis. I've been eating LC ever since my diagnosis, not for weight but for my health).

If you are hyperinsulenemic, I'd be more inclined to try this first since I'd say there's a better chance of success than for someone without insulin related issues.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/news/20110808/low-carb-diets-may-improve-acne

I would also maybe consider paleo to cut out dairy too, but as a veg, that would be really restricted and challenging. It could be done though, it would just be tough.

Cystic acne is brutal. I had it as a teenager and it didn't go away until I did a round of accutane at 18. My skin was great for 5 years after that and from then until now I still get blackheads on my nose and the occasional pimple.

When you are done nursing I highly recommend going the accutane route. So many people will want to scare you away from it, but as long as you are being monitored by a good dr., you will be fine. It's only for 5 months and your skin will finally be clear! Good luck to you!

whew, there's alot of food stuff here that i need to think about. obviously, the fact that i'm vegetarian weighs heavy in my decision. i'd rather not add meat to my diet to compensate for things that i may be removing in order to clear my skin (and help other health issues i'm sure too). eliminating dairy would be somewhat hard because it's at least a minor source of protein for me. further, eliminating gluten sounds REALLY difficult because i do eat bread and pasta weekly, though not every day. but who knows what else i consume that contains gluten?!!?!?

i have never been concerned about some underlying metabolic disorder. i've attributed the seizure thing to some reaction i'm having to carbs - just not sure what or why, but otherwise, i'm very healthy. i have a good weight, good cholesterol, good blood pressure, etc...and as i mentioned above, i've never had probs with infertility, periods, or anything that would indicate high testosterone other than my skin.

sometimes, i think there's just some level of "toxicity" in me that isn't getting cleared by sufficient hydration. i think it is further aggravated by a highly stressful life in which i rarely get a break and never get sufficient uninterrupted sleep. in a nutshell, i'll freely admit i'm burned out on sahm/homeschool/household mgt/parttime RN work. and my skin is showing the effects in a very obvious manner. i just don't take the time to address is as i should. i will REALLY look into overall diet, increasing my water intake, and trying to be better about not picking and being so aggressive in my face care.

i only change the pillowcase once, maybe twice a week...so i'll up that.

dental i'm fine!

Get yourself a couple of really really thick pillowcases also. Change those daily, especially if you are a face sleeper.

Acne can also stem from poor dental health. Been to the dentist and gotten an all clear?

whew' date=' there's alot of food stuff here that i need to think about. obviously, the fact that i'm vegetarian weighs heavy in my decision. i'd rather not add meat to my diet to compensate for things that i may be removing in order to clear my skin (and help other health issues i'm sure too). eliminating dairy would be somewhat hard because it's at least a minor source of protein for me. further, eliminating gluten sounds REALLY difficult because i do eat bread and pasta weekly, though not every day. but who knows what else i consume that contains gluten?!!?!?

i have never been concerned about some underlying metabolic disorder. i've attributed the seizure thing to some reaction i'm having to carbs - just not sure what or why, but otherwise, i'm very healthy. i have a good weight, good cholesterol, good blood pressure, etc...and as i mentioned above, i've never had probs with infertility, periods, or anything that would indicate high testosterone other than my skin.

sometimes, i think there's just some level of "toxicity" in me that isn't getting cleared by sufficient hydration. i think it is further aggravated by a highly stressful life in which i rarely get a break and never get sufficient uninterrupted sleep. in a nutshell, i'll freely admit i'm burned out on sahm/homeschool/household mgt/parttime RN work. and my skin is showing the effects in a very obvious manner. i just don't take the time to address is as i should. i will REALLY look into overall diet, increasing my water intake, and trying to be better about not picking and being so aggressive in my face care.[/quote']

YOu may not have PCOS, but some experts think it is kind of a continuum, and it is also intertwined with metabolic disorder/syndrome X.

I am not and have never been overweight (BMI was 19 when I was diagnosed, and is 21 now 9 years later), am not hairy, never had acne after my teen years, but do have pcos. No cholesterol issues, hypertension, etc. either although some family history of syndrome X/metabolic syndrome stuff on both sides of my family.

YOu may not have PCOS, but some experts think it is kind of a continuum, and it is also intertwined with metabolic disorder/syndrome X.

I am not and have never been overweight (BMI was 19 when I was diagnosed, and is 21 now 9 years later), am not hairy, never had acne after my teen years, but do have pcos. No cholesterol issues, hypertension, etc. either although some family history of syndrome X/metabolic syndrome stuff on both sides of my family.

well if you don't mind me picking your brain....:D

if you don't have the symptoms, how was it that you knew to go to the doctor and what are they basing your diagnosis on? i'm a worrier and this is gonna get to me! you can pm me if you prefer.

Edited by jackson'smama
added info

I used to be mostly vegetarian (eating meat infrequently). I have now changed my stance on that as I have done more nutritional education and seen what a huge difference it makes for my body to have animal protein regularly and to eliminate grains/dairy completely from my diet. Scientifically and nutritionally, I don't see a good argument for avoiding meat as our bodies are literally designed to absorb the nutrients in it several TIMES better than from grain/beans/dairy/etc... I no longer consider grains to be a healthy food for regular consumption. It might be necessary for people to consume from a budget standpoint, but they do not have enough nutrition for me to intentionally displace more nutrient-rich and healthful foods from my daily eating (fruits, vegetables, meats, animal protein, nuts, seeds, healthful fats).

I do realize people have ethical opposition to eating meat and that is a different issue - if you have a personal conviction against meat b/c of animal care/suffering then I'm not going to try and persuade you otherwise :). I would just encourage this - think through the research behind your philosophical position and ask yourself if it is working for your body and if it is congruent with human eating patterns throughout history.

FWIW, you can have all the dark chocolate you want b/c it's dairy free :). I would, at the VERY LEAST, go hardcore dairy free (read labels on everything, eliminate cheese, and give it a month to see how you do).

whew' date=' there's alot of food stuff here that i need to think about. obviously, the fact that i'm vegetarian weighs heavy in my decision. i'd rather not add meat to my diet to compensate for things that i may be removing in order to clear my skin (and help other health issues i'm sure too). eliminating dairy would be somewhat hard because it's at least a minor source of protein for me. further, eliminating gluten sounds REALLY difficult because i do eat bread and pasta weekly, though not every day. but who knows what else i consume that contains gluten?!!?!?[/quote']

There are gluten-free breads and pastas.

Vegans don't eat dairy, and they manage to get enough protein. I'm not saying it would be easy (or even pleasant!) but if there's a chance that eliminating dairy could clear up your skin, wouldn't that be worth it?

Besides, you could still eat eggs. Yum. :)

Have you considered if the acne is hormone related? Hormonal imbalance is a big contributor to adult acne in women. Make sure to use a toner (colloidal silver toner is great) and then to moisturize after you wash your face. The use of alcohol dries your pores out and in response they produce even more oil.

well if you don't mind me picking your brain....:D

if you don't have the symptoms' date=' how was it that you knew to go to the doctor and what are they basing your diagnosis on? i'm a worrier and this is gonna get to me! you can pm me if you prefer.[/quote']

I was not ovulating or cycling once I stopped BCP in an effort to ttc our first baby. Some women with PCOS do cycle though, or don't necessarily have infertility. It is common to have some wonky cycling (heavy periods or light periods or long cycles or missed periods, or trouble TTC...or taking longer than typical to TTC, but that's not true of *all* women with PCOS). IN fact, my first OB/GYN insisted I did not have PCOS because I didn't have a lot of external symptoms.

I used to be mostly vegetarian (eating meat infrequently). I have now changed my stance on that as I have done more nutritional education and seen what a huge difference it makes for my body to have animal protein regularly and to eliminate grains/dairy completely from my diet. Scientifically and nutritionally, I don't see a good argument for avoiding meat as our bodies are literally designed to absorb the nutrients in it several TIMES better than from grain/beans/dairy/etc... I no longer consider grains to be a healthy food for regular consumption. It might be necessary for people to consume from a budget standpoint, but they do not have enough nutrition for me to intentionally displace more nutrient-rich and healthful foods from my daily eating (fruits, vegetables, meats, animal protein, nuts, seeds, healthful fats).

I do realize people have ethical opposition to eating meat and that is a different issue - if you have a personal conviction against meat b/c of animal care/suffering then I'm not going to try and persuade you otherwise :). I would just encourage this - think through the research behind your philosophical position and ask yourself if it is working for your body and if it is congruent with human eating patterns throughout history.

FWIW, you can have all the dark chocolate you want b/c it's dairy free :). I would, at the VERY LEAST, go hardcore dairy free (read labels on everything, eliminate cheese, and give it a month to see how you do).

You said this very well and graciously. It's what I wanted to say, but I couldn't have said it as nicely as you did. :)

I had keratosis on the backs of my arms and thighs all my life. When I went dairy-free (I'm a vegan)' date=' my arms cleared up completely and my thighs are at about 80% clear. I use Amlactin (from Costco) for the 20% that hasn't cleared up. The stuff in your bumps is keratin(protein) that is clogged in your pores, it's not acne. The Amlactin has acids in it that help exfoliate your skin.

Good luck,

K[/quote']

Me, too. I went GF and dairy free (almost). I wondered if the clearing up was diet related and having someone else experience the same thing is affirming. My arms aren't totally clear but I sneak in some dairy every now and then.

This might not be the answer you're looking for, but I got a prescription topical gel (Clyndamiacin) and it fixed my skin 100% in ONE month. This was after years and years of trying different food eliminations and natural methods. Nothing made a difference until I used that antibiotic gel. It fixed me 100%. Now I'm sorry I spent so many years feeling badly about my face when the solution was so very simple. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Well, now that I see you've been to a dermatologist, so maybe this is not the solution for you, but perhaps someone else reading this.

Edited by Quill