Menu

*The* List

fraidycat

Can I get some help, please? I plan to piece together my own Health, Safety, and Lifeskills theme "weeks" or "months" to focus on raising productive, self-sufficient young adults. Some are sort of school-ish in nature, most are just life but I don't want to forget important ones (and I very likely will, without a written list!). I don't plan to do it all in one year, some will be done annually, and some will be on-going but I'd like to get a list going so I can stop the swirling in my head and focus on one at a time and start searching for resources. Some will also be outsourced (such as First Aid). Here is what I come up with off the top of my head:

Health:

Hygiene (not just because Mom says you need to have a bath!)

Dental Hygiene (again, not just because Mom says so!)

Puberty

Sex

Having an Attitude of Gratitude

Character Training (Virtues/Values/Morals)

Safety:

Fire Safety

Bike Safety

Stranger Danger

First Aid

What to do if/Who to call when: (please fill in the blank for scenarios here)

Self Defense (will outsource to DH or a class)

Lifeskills:

Kitchen safety/cooking

How to:

~ do laundry

~ clean a bathroom

~ clean a bedroom

~ organize a fridge or pantry

Managing Finances

Tools (the difference between a Philips and a flathead, or a wrench and plyers) :001_smile:

I KNOW there are a lot more I'm missing, so hit me! Let's get the list of all lists going. I will update this post so when anyone stumbles across it, they'll have a lot of food for thought.

I would add “and prevention†to fire safety

Additional safety topics include:

Weather

Electricity

Water

Technology

At home

Away from home

Personal safety – everything from being aware of your surroundings to bullying/threatening behavior and distinguishing between appropriate and inappropriate touching

What to do/how to:

When and how to call 911

What to do if you get lost – both in populated places and in wilderness

Lifeskills:

Home maintenance and repair

Auto care and maintenance

I would include Basic Infant/Toddler Care under Life Skills; they should know how to change a diaper, how to recognize a choking hazard, etc.

I would also add Basic Firearms Safety; even if you don't have guns in the home, all children should know what to do if a friend shows them a gun or something.

Under Life Skills, I would also include How To Ask For Help, which may, at times, include asking for help from a stranger.

I'd include Internet/Facebook Caution for teens/preteens -- what should and should not be put on the internet. Show them how a bunch of innocent things can add up to a lot of information being put out there by them.

Water Safety too. The Army Corps of Engineers has a program that looks good for this, with a DVD; I am still trying to get ahold of it though.

Edited by happypamama

Emergency Preparedness (fire, tornado, hurricane, earthquake, etc.--whatever is likely in your area). You can put together a 72 hour kit, which is a great thing for young children to participate in. You can do drills.

Ettiquette

Gardening/preserving

I highly recommend the life skills book linked in my siggy. The TOC is viewable on Amazon (unless it recently changed). I originally found it in my public library but bought it because it was so helpful to me. It covers social skills, conflict resolution, money management, household chores, health/safety, etc., etc. I'm not a natural teacher, and this really guides me on what to teach and how to do it. I make a list for each of my children every year, and we do as much as we can. Then I re-evaluate the next year. Life Skills has an official time slot for us.

We're part of Frontier Girls (like Girl Scouts, but we don't sell cookies, and there is a certain amount of volunteerism required).

Frontier Girls has an award called Life Skills. You could mine these lists for ideas:

For K-2 (Otters)

For 3-5 (Dolphins)

ETA: My links above didn't work. You may just need to go to the Frontier Girl website and poke around to find the Life Skill Award lists. Sorry!

As my kids grow, I also hope to require them to:

--Learn to drive a stick shift vehicle

--Learn to rewire a lamp; rewire an outlet

--Swim (I didn't learn until I was an adult!)

--Write Cursive (some schools don't teach it anymore!)

--Set up and maintain a website/blog

--Write a check, balance a checking account, how to online bank

--How does interest work, compound interest work, and what are good or bad choices for borrowing money

--How to fill out a job application

--How to write a resume

--How to confirm information (by checking 2-3 sources); what is a reputable source (Wikipedia, CNN, Government website vs. Cousin so-and-so's blog or "Someone said on FB."

--How to navigate an airport (finding gates, reading screens, finding baggage

--How to read a map; how to plan a trip with a map without using Mapquest or GPS; how to use a map when you are lost!

--How to write a letter of request (requesting information or clarification); how to write a letter of complaint

--How to deal with unsatisfactory customer service on the phone (keep a record of who you spoke to, when, about what, and what is their title/contact info)

--How to check and change oil in car, and other fluids; how to change a tire

Of course, my oldest dd is 5, so we won't be working on a few of these for a while......:D

I've been gone all day and am just finally checking this thread for the first time. Thank you all so much for your help and ideas. I will look at everything closer tomorrow and edit my list.

If anyone still has anything else to add, please do.

I haven't decided which resources I'll be using, yet. I have to research that next. I imagine it will be bits and pieces of whatever I can find, but I will try to remember to update this thread as I find stuff.

Terrific thread!!!

Some pretty random thoughts:

If you don't have easy access to public transportation -how to ride a bus/subway/etc (I had a heck of a time figuring out the trolley overseas as a 17 yr old...). By this I mean - reading the map, finding out how much/where to pay, and signaling that you need off.

Basic food preparation.

Figuring out direction based on the location of the sun. We assume we'll always have a cell phone or GPS... I have a feeling they're just about gone, but how to use a pay phone/call collect.

We were taught that if we get lost from each other (eg in a mall or park) to return to the place where we were last all together and wait there. This applys to older kids and adults - the littles should know how to find a trustworthy adult.

One thing my brother told my Dad - he said the single most important thing he learned was not to be afraid to try something even if you're not exactly sure of what you're doing. He specifically was referring to DIY large scale remodeling/repairs in that case, but I think we need to teach our kids not to be afraid to fly by the seat of their pants in some instances. And to know their limitations and choose wisely ;).

Edited by pgr
Cell phone typing :P

Gun safety? Even if you don't have guns at home, have you instructed your kids not to touch guns if they see them at other people's houses?

Weather safety? Head to the basement for tornadoes; don't take shelter under a tall tree in a thunderstorm; if you are above treeline in the mountains, head back down if it starts to cloud up; that sort of thing?

Do they know who to ask for help if they ever get lost/separated from you?

• 2 months later...

Summer got in the way...but now that life is settling down a bit, I might have a few minutes to update the list and start looking at some of the resource recommendations (Thank you for those BTW). :D

My *after the kidlets are in bed* project for tonight will be to compile and organize *The List*.

I highly recommend the life skills book linked in my siggy. The TOC is viewable on Amazon (unless it recently changed). I originally found it in my public library but bought it because it was so helpful to me. It covers social skills, conflict resolution, money management, household chores, health/safety, etc., etc. I'm not a natural teacher, and this really guides me on what to teach and how to do it. I make a list for each of my children every year, and we do as much as we can. Then I re-evaluate the next year. Life Skills has an official time slot for us.

Is the book religious at all? I couldn't tell from the description.

Aaaaaagh! I typed the whole thing out, then did....something and lost it. So, we'll try this again.

Apparently there is a time limit on when we can edit posts and I can no longer edit the original post, so I'll have to put the updated list here. Some items fall into more than one category but I only listed them in one. Here is The List:

Health

~ Hygiene (why & how)

~ Dental Hygiene

~ Puberty

~ Sex

~ Attitude of Gratitude (very important for mental health, IMO)

~ Character Training

~ Nutrition

~ Disease Prevention

~ Drugs/Alcohol

Safety

~ Fire Safety & Prevention

~ Bike Safety, Road Rules

~ First Aid/CPR

~ Weather Safety:What to do in the event of... (lightning, tornado, etc.)

~ Electricity

~ Water Safety

~ Internet/Technology

~ Personal Safety

~~~~ ~ Stranger Danger (and not so Stranger Danger)

~~~~ ~ Appropriate/Inappropriate Touch

~~~~ ~ Self Defense

~~~~ ~ At home and home alone

~~~~ ~ In public - awareness of surroundings

~~~~ ~ How/Who to ask for Help

~ Firearm Safety

~ When & How to call 911

~ What to do when you're lost: populated areas, wilderness

~ Where to go if we're separated in public (make a plan!)

LifeSkills

~ Kitchen safety/cooking/menu planning/food budgeting

~ Gardening & preserving food

~ Laundry

~ How to Clean: Kitchen, Bathroom, other rooms

~ Organizing: Why & How (books, papers, clothing, room, home)

~ Organizing a Fridge & Pantry

~ Manage Finances: Balance checking account, emergency fund, insurance, etc.

~ Household Tools: Identification & Safety

~ Basic Infant/Toddler care/safety - Identify choking hazards, how to touch/handle, what they can and cannot eat, etc.

~ Etiquette

~ Basic sewing (button, hem, etc.)

~ Identify direction using the Sun

~ How to ride Public Transportation

~ Emergency Preparedness (72 hr. kit, important docs, where to go)

Resources TBD.

Edited by fraidycat

Is the book religious at all? I couldn't tell from the description.

The "look inside" on Amazon shows that it does have quite a bit of religious content, including scripture passages. Might be worth checking that out to see if it works for you.

* How to light a fire without lighter fluid, etc. It is so much harder to do than movies would have you believe, and there are various approaches that are useful in various circumstances.

* Kitchen knife skills -- I took a basic cooking class on this topic once and it changed my life. Defining the different knives, how to maintain and clean and sharpen, what to look for in a quality knife and how to use without danger will lead to huge confidence in the kitchen!

* How to write a check -- an old-time skill to be sure, but useful just the same

* How to touch-type -- Is this a life skill? Maybe, maybe not, but I have personally know more than one tough guy who had a lot of real-world skills but who couldn't get a job with a government agency (FBI, Secret Service, et al) because he couldn't type at least 50WPM! (This will take longer than a week, but SOOOO worth it!)

* Car maintenance: How to replace an air filter. I've read (and experienced) that is the number-one thing that they "upsell" at quick-change oil-change places, and it is really QUITE easy to do it yourself! (I am not handy AT ALL and I can do it!)

* How to sew on a button -- You don't want to be the guy in college asking all the ladies in the dorm to help you with this. I mean, it might be "a move" but the modern feminist young lady will not appreciate it!

* How to wash a car. We were always automatic car wash people and I remain unsure of how to do this myself!

* How to use the broil function on a oven.

* How to throw a party. No, really. What's the invite-to-acceptance ratio like in your area? Do people RSVP? How much food and drink do you need? What kinds? How do you prepare it? Where can you buy bulk ice? What happens if people do or don't arrive on time? How do you get them out when the party is over? When is a party over?

Great thread!

Edited by kubiac