Menu

Baby therapy ideas?

Little pepsi baby (pb) is 2 months delayed (OT screening). She told me what areas to try and work on, but i need some ideas to do this.

I am trying to get the mom to get early intervention involved and/or just take him to ot (close to her house). In the meantime, he is more than likely environmentally delayed, so i am doing what i can. Working with pb is also helping my ds with patience and veing calm. Plus, i can get ds lower level toys and pretend they're for pb.

I have him at my house every saturday night, so i should be able to get at least 2, 1 hour "therapy" sessions.

We need to work on getting both of his hands to midline. Right now he can only slightly control one at a time. He really fights bringing his hands together.

He also needs to work on head control, but vomits so much that extended tummy time is not a good idea.

I got lucky and found a baby carrier at the salvation army and i hope that carrying him more will help the head control. I also found instructions for a homemade moby-like wrap and was going to give that a try.

I am going to make a little swing for him, but i cant find the right design to encourage sitting. I also cant afford to buy much of anything.

Anyone who had a child in EI at a young age, what things did you do?

My goal is to keep him off his back as much as possible since most of his time is spent strapped in his stroller.

I think a carrier is a fabulous idea.

Tummy time on an incline might be easier on his little tummy.

I took a child (not my own) to multiple therapies each week starting at a little under 1 year. One of the many things he worked on was crossing the midline. For us, it boiled down to practice. Dangle interesting things in his mid-line for him to practice grasping for. You can start in an area he will reach for, say off to the side, and move it to the middle. Get dark and interesting toys to move slowly back and forth. If any back time is ok, you can use a string or elastic to hold a toy suspended above him to bat at.

Like this: http://thefullmontessori.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/as-easy-as-a-ribbon-a-bracelet-and-a-bell/

(scroll down for a picture) (also, not my blog...I googled what I was looking for to illustrate what I was talking about)

Thank you all!

He is 5 months, 2 weeks.

His head control is odd (to me, never seen it before). His head does not lag backwards, when upright, his chin is always tucked to his chest. The only time he picks it up is when on his belly. The ot we talked to said a bumbo, or exersaucer, with me sitting right there to support him would be great. The salvation army wants $30 for the exersaucers and they're a bit gross. This is where i thought carrying could help.

He is not yet interested in toys. I got him some links because they're easy to hold, and will try tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you for the links! :)

I would have a physical therapy eval as well. If he is on medicaid, they would pay for therapy most likely. In some areas there are specialized preschools that can provide therapy and day care for the child if he needs it.

The chin tuck sounds like low tone, or it could be that there is muscular damage of some sort. My dd's PT is seeing a baby that only moves his head in one direction and back to midline. The PT is working with him to stretch those muscles before he loses them.

When dd was small and showing early delays, a boppy pillow was great at helping her be on an incline but on her tummy.

My son born at 25w has been in EI since birth. I would encourage you to bring his hands together to his mouth at every nappy change just holding his hands and bringing them in so he can suck and look at them. Swaddle him for sleeping with his hands up by his mouth. Encourage play on his side bringing his hands up to his face together. With the tummy time roll a blanket up to put under his chest and under arms bringing his arms forward like to rest on his elbows to take some pressure of his tummy. You can also do that over your knee. Sit him up in your knee and gently and slowly move him side to side, back and forward so that he has to continually adjust his head position.

As a PP said getting a PT evaluation would be good. We started with PT and have only added other therapies as he's gotten bigger.

-You can try simply carrying him with your hand under his belly/chest so he is prone when being carried around. In this position you can raise his head more so he is inclined. He will like looking around while you walk around which will make him want to lift his head.

-Only do tummy time before a feeding rather than after and raise his upper body to an inclined position either over a Boppy or other kind of pillow or let him lay prone on your chest while you lay on the couch.

-I like to use a booster seat (the kind you can get for $15-$20 that straps to a chair but has a tray) on the floor with towel rolls on the sides to position for sitting practice and the tray is good for placing toys on for fine motor skill development.

-Sit on the floor and bend your knees up then sit him on your knees and tilt your knees slowly side to side giving him time to right his head and upper body to strengthen his trunk.

-To encourage both hands to come to midline, try laying him on his back on an incline under a baby gym or with toys held over him. Bringing both hands up against gravity may be difficult at this point but being on an incline will lesson the effects of gravity a bit and may help him be more successful. You can also roll a towel for each side and place it under each arm so his arms are closer to midline.

I am a physical therapist for Early Intervention...if you'd like to PM me, I can give you more to do. But the ideal situation would be for her to get EI for the baby (either PT or OT...at his age they would be doing a lot of the same things) and then the therapist can show you what to do with him more specifically and how to progress.

-Towels rolled up under him (or a boppy) for tummy time. Lay on the floor with him and dangle toys in front of him and to the side while talking to him.

-I would go with a bumbo and not an excersaucer, which can increase tone in a way you don't want. Some bumbo seats have a tray that attaches in the front, it can be annoying but good for putting toys on

-I wouldn't work on sitting up just yet. He really needs to work on the head control first

-Figure out what toys he likes or interest him. Music, lights, vibration? Use those toys to work on midline. Place them to the side and encourage him to reach them. SLowly move them more towards midline

-Play games like patty cake or finger plays like Wheels On The Bus

Early Intervention in most states (if not all) will come to your home for the therapy sessions, covered by Medicaid. I would work on getting mom to agree to that program. That way the therapists can work with mom directly, at home, using the materials she already has to teach her how to interact with him.

The only reason i got an OT to see him was because she knows me and has worked with my kids for almost a year. My son's PT would not likely participate in an informal screening an unknown baby without mom's permission (rightfully so). The mom knows i stole him to go to ot with my daughter and that the ot played with the baby, but this was not an official eval.

When i bring up EI the mom says "im gonna" but never does. She really does not see any problems, and the baby's ped thinks all is wonderful. Im going to call EI and see if i can refer him myself, but i doubt it.

The mom will do things with a hand holding, like taking him to the ER for wheezing. Another friend of hers and myself convinced her to go and the other friend went with her, and was ready to call me if the baby was in the ER longer than she could stay.

I can "steal" the baby anytime i want, like yesterdays OT, and taking him to the library, and tomorrow's health and safety fair. I just cant get her to change anything she does with him alone like muxing the formula correct, or calling the dr about reflux.

Im keeping my eyes peeled for a stroller under $20 because hers is a bit nasty (im being nice). I washed the cover but nothing came off. I may just get an umbrella stroller since he is always supervised with us.

All of these ideas are great! Thank you. Im going make him a play bar and a strap to the bath seat (because its inclined).

If i can get the mom to join the baby at my house more, maybe she will transfer some play to home.

Thank you all!

He is 5 months, 2 weeks.

His head control is odd (to me, never seen it before). His head does not lag backwards, when upright, his chin is always tucked to his chest. The only time he picks it up is when on his belly. The ot we talked to said a bumbo, or exersaucer, with me sitting right there to support him would be great. The salvation army wants $30 for the exersaucers and they're a bit gross. This is where i thought carrying could help.

He is not yet interested in toys. I got him some links because they're easy to hold, and will try tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you for the links! :)

I vote carrying indeed! People always comment on my babies' head control, and I really think that being in a supported upright position (none of mine like being in a carrier lying down) helps them develop the head control. It will also help him to be interested in what's around him, while allowing him to put his head down against you when he's had enough stimulation.

Good for you, mama!

Okay I missed something along the way. You took someone else's baby to the OT for an assessment without their permission?

As for ideas, it sounds like you have a very limited time to actually do anything with baby. I would definitely carry baby, and even being carried you can do midline help. I like to carry a baby of that age forward facing and then I often am holding hands of the baby and playing pat-a-cake, or gently bringing them to midline and back out, or we "dance" and I bring the hands in to midline individually and together etc. In addition to the midline and neck support the benefit of using the carrier is the help with attachment, and language skills because you can talk constantly to the baby about what you are doing etc which is less likely to happen if baby is in a holder or on the floor. In addition from what you have said about the mom, baby likely spends a lot of time in various contraptions and very little being held so the carrier would be ideal for so many reasons.

Okay I missed something along the way. You took someone else's baby to the OT for an assessment without their permission?

It was technically just a play session, and the mom knew i was taking him over there.

As for ideas, it sounds like you have a very limited time to actually do anything with baby. I would definitely carry baby, and even being carried you can do midline help. I like to carry a baby of that age forward facing and then I often am holding hands of the baby and playing pat-a-cake, or gently bringing them to midline and back out, or we "dance" and I bring the hands in to midline individually and together etc. In addition to the midline and neck support the benefit of using the carrier is the help with attachment, and language skills because you can talk constantly to the baby about what you are doing etc which is less likely to happen if baby is in a holder or on the floor. In addition from what you have said about the mom, baby likely spends a lot of time in various contraptions and very little being held so the carrier would be ideal for so many reasons.

Since its nice, i see and play with him daily. Ds's park behavior is coming along great. Im limited in the time i have him here, but its increasing all the time.

I hope mom will want to do what im doing (carrying and such) and will start to see a bit more.

Thank you for the ideas!

The only reason i got an OT to see him was because she knows me and has worked with my kids for almost a year. My son's PT would not likely participate in an informal screening an unknown baby without mom's permission (rightfully so). The mom knows i stole him to go to ot with my daughter and that the ot played with the baby, but this was not an official eval.

When i bring up EI the mom says "im gonna" but never does. She really does not see any problems, and the baby's ped thinks all is wonderful. Im going to call EI and see if i can refer him myself, but i doubt it.

If the pediatrician doesn't see a concern, you may not be able to do anything.

Our very much loved and played with baby is delayed (she JUST started sitting up at 9 months, 2 weeks! A HUGE relief) and our doctor was concerned as far back as 4 months old. Every appointment he's watched her (and she even had a 7.5 month appointment to keep an eye on it) and she's improved just enough that he holds off on referring her to therapy. But as it got to 8 months I got concerned and called EI and just from the questions they asked they determined she is not delayed Enough for EI yet.

BTW, what did the trick? (we did EVERYTHING we could think of trying to convince her to sit up, including holding her sitting as much as we could.) A week ago or so my husband started putting her in a standing up position in the crib, with her hands on the side. She LOVED it. And just a few days later started sitting up on her own. So somehow that practice was what was necessary to strengthen the right muscles to sit up -- I guess. I'd NEVER have thought standing up would do that!

1 hour is way too much!!! Our DD (17 months old) is in Birth to Three receiving OT services for atypical oral motor skills. We spend 5 minutes a day doing a parent directed activity. The rest of the time in child led with minor modifications, for example she was feeding herself with a spoon. We held the spoon so she had to use her tongue to get the maccaroni and cheese off. She wants a snack we feed her on her right side so she has to use her tongue. We make funny faces using our tongues and hope she mimics us.

Instead of looking at two - 1 hour sessions of therapy. I would look into various activities frequently.

Edited by sparkygirl

I used the wrap with him today and was amazed! I had him forward facing, and i guess he felt more secure with the pressuse, but he kept his head up! He was looking all over the place, and talking like crazy. Once he started rubbing his eyes, i flipped him and he was sound asleep. Even facing me, his head was up more.

As for the hour session, i dont mean anything intense. Just playing with him on purpose, pulling his hands together, getting him interested in toys, etc. ill only do ball, and other "workouts" for a few mInutes at a time. Now i know wearing is huge. Between dd and i, there is no reason for him not to be held 99% of his time here.

Do you have a freecycle group to which you can post wants such as the excersaucer? I found one in someone's trash for pickup and I took it home and posted it on Freecycle. It was in excellent shape. I just washed it and I had 8 people inquiring about it.

I used the wrap with him today and was amazed! I had him forward facing, and i guess he felt more secure with the pressuse, but he kept his head up! He was looking all over the place, and talking like crazy. Once he started rubbing his eyes, i flipped him and he was sound asleep. Even facing me, his head was up more.

As for the hour session, i dont mean anything intense. Just playing with him on purpose, pulling his hands together, getting him interested in toys, etc. ill only do ball, and other "workouts" for a few mInutes at a time. Now i know wearing is huge. Between dd and i, there is no reason for him not to be held 99% of his time here.

That's the important thing -- that you flipped him when he was rubbing his eyes. Good paying attention to his cues! I'm a huge babywearing advocate, so I'm excited to see that it was helpful. One of the things I like about wearing a baby is that it makes interaction so effortless. I kiss on my little guy's head, make goofy noises and faces at him, tickle his toes, play with his hands, etc., and I barely realize I do it. I wonder if just wearing him will let you do those sorts of things easily, which will provide gentle stimulation that will help him get used to having people play with his hands and all.

Also, if the knit fabric gets to be too stretchy for him, there may be a babywearing group in your local area, or close to you, and they may be able to help you find a different carrier. Feel free to PM me if you do find yourself at that point, and I'll see what I can do.

I did not think to check freecycle, thank you!

I will call EI on Monday since the mom has unlimited minutes on her phone this month.

Happypamama- what type of fabric would hold up? There's another baby at the park and his mother is always holding him, but he is a big boy. I doubt the knit would last him very long. I could make her one and if she dudnnt want it, just keep for PB.

I've not made a non-stretchy wrap, but I asked a few friends who have. One woman has a linen blend wrap that she made, and several people recommended Osnaburg fabric, which is available at JoAnn Fabrics. I know people have used a bedsheet in a pinch. I think the trick is that it needs to be a woven for support, but it should ideally have a bit of "give" to it.