Menu

Music and Movement Curriculum

carriede

I'm looking for any music and movement class rescourses you all might know of. Something for PreK - 2nd grade. I remember from school going to music class once a week and learning songs, playing rhythm instruments, that sort of thing.

Books, websites, or curricula are welcome! I've been looking at Making Music Praying Twice (yes, we're Catholic), but I haven't been able to find anything else and I feel like there should be SOMETHING out there!

And I know I could just dance to silly songs with my kids, but I'd like to see what formal instruction options are out there. Thanks!

Guest Miss Friday

I agree with Terabith, a music & movement class would be much more enjoyable than activities at home.

If you are musically inclined need something for home use, I would recommend John Feierabend's "First Steps in Music" materials. The whole curriculum is expensive (I bought it for teaching classes), but I always recommend the CD's and DVD to parents for home/car use. Feierabend uses traditional folk songs of the type our grandparents and great-grandparents grew up with. It is strictly singing and moving, no music literacy.

There are a couple of nifty books that are more practical for home use: "Can You Hear It?" and What Great Music!.

I would honestly look for a program like Musikgarten or Music Together. Music is a communal activity, and it really works better, I think, when it is done in community. I'm a music teacher, and I had my kids in classes.

:iagree: Good courses and both my sister and my best friend who are music teachers like them, and both would say that music is best in a group when it's small children. My children all did their first year of music in a group, I was lucky enough that my friend was offering lessons.

I would honestly look for a program like Musikgarten or Music Together. Music is a communal activity, and it really works better, I think, when it is done in community. I'm a music teacher, and I had my kids in classes.

am following this thread ... one challenge I have with classes is accommodating both children. Next year I'll have a 7yo and a 2yo, and while separate classes are conceivably _possible_ it wouldn't be easy and would make our lives less peaceful. A local homeschooling group tried to put a multi-age music class together but the space was acoustically awful and Button was overwhelmed by the clamor (several other children were, too, I learned later). So enriching at home seems the best idea for our family as a whole, even if it's not musically optimal.

When my kids were younger (and closer together in age), we did Music Together and loved it. They still remember a lot of the songs. From what I remember, it was a 5 years old and younger course.

We had a DVD of Mommy and Me songs that they loved. They all had movements that you could follow along with. DS3 is now enjoying it as well.

My older kids have taken up recorder and love it. It's pretty easy and there are good, cheap recorders on Amazon as well as teach yourself books. Your 7 year old might also enjoy Suzuki violin or piano.

Music Together is designed for multi-aged kids, although at seven, he is technically above their age group. My kids still love the Music Together music, however, and I think most instructors would be willing to have an older child. Might even get older child's tuition for free!

Musikgarten is really neat, but it is age divided. At seven he wouldn't be in a mommy and me class, however: either Musik Makers Around the World (which is SO SO cool.....geography, literature, culture, music, composers, orchestra) or piano.

Kindermusik has a Family Time which is for families with one or more children below age 5, and most Kindermusik teachers would be fine accommodating a 7 yr old, since their oldest age group goes up to 7. (I was a KM teacher until January). I want to say that Musikgarten now has a similar program, and it wouldn't surprise me if a teacher could accommodate both of your children as well. Same with Music Together.

Lynn Kleiner has DVDs for her "Kids Make Music" curriculum, which might be an OK at home option-but it wouldn't be as much fun as a class.

My DD 7 went through Kindermusik until she finished Young Child 4, and then moved to piano lessons, and very much misses the class. I've considered offering a Homeschool Orff class in the area for elementary aged students who are too old for programs like KM, but aren't ready for homeschool band and don't want to do church choir. The problem is time and space.

Kinderbach is a homeschool music program w/DVDs that does what you are asking, plus starts them in beginning piano. We did it at co-op and the first year the kids did all of the movement, singing, rhythm stuff that you are talking about, plus they each brough a toy keyboard that year and learned some notes. Eventually they moved to the real piano with it.