Menu

Please help me figure out a History/Lit/Bible curriculum!

I have been all over this board and the web to figure this out. I was/am considering TOG, but a few things holding me back are the expense, the planning I will have to do, and I don't know that I really care for the selections all that much. BUT, the thing I like about it is it keeping all the dc in the same period of history at their own levels. Plus, the biblical worldview commentary. Though, I read in the sample that the sample answers given to the student questions in the Teacher's notes (I have a feeling I butchered that sentence grammatically, lol) would be slowly phased out as the unit progressed. Umm, that's is exactly why I would WANT that curriculum. :001_huh:

Ok, so here is some more info:

* I have a 15yo and 11yo that would be doing history.

* We own MOH 1 & 2. We really like it but know that it really isn't enough for HS history. I don't like the options it gives on the website to beef it up for HS. I like the Biblical worldview included. But, it has no lit included. And the geography isn't laid out for me. I want to be able to print out a map and they tell them what to do and they give me an answer key.

* I thought it would be nice to get my dd15 a Kindle and download most of the free and cheap classic books like those listed at AO. BUT, I would really love some biblical commentary/worldview to go along with this.

* My ed. philosophy seems to be a mix of Classical/CM, leaning more toward CM because of the gentle approach.

*I have been pretty lax on history because I figured they would pick it up through historical fiction and the MOH we have read. But, I have not been consistent with MOH, we have spent about 2-3 YEARS on vol. 1 and are just now almost through. I just have not been consistent. I am going to seriously be stepping it up and I want a program to guide me through that process.

* We are definitely more reformed in doctrine so something that is heavily Arminian or giving bible book suggestions that are is really not my preference. This one reason why TOG appealed to me. I do NOT like Omnibus though. The book selections are so heavy and NOT what my dd wants to read. But, TOG's rhetoric selections seem only a little less heavy.

* Oldest has read all Jane Austen & Elizabeth Gaskell books and many G. A Henty & Charles Dickens books. This is more her interest level, she does not want to read things like "The Iliad, Landmark Thucydides, The Bacchae and Other Plays, Lysistra and Other Plays, The Republic, and Introduction to Aristotle " ( reading list for 10th grade from Omnibus).

* 11yo still prefers books with pictures and not a lot of small type. Her favorites are things like Hank the Cowdog and Sarah Plain and Tall.

I like the idea of having a spine type book of history to read aloud to them, or a combo of a commentary with a spine (that is interesting, not dry). Then a list of living books that go along with the time period/subject, *ideally* with notes of anything that might be objectionable or possible worldview issues/conversation. There would be different options for different levels. I would like to be able to get most of them from the library, even better would be free online/kindle versions. And I would really like it if it gave sample schedules or even scheduled it out for you. Oh, and I would love for it to include geography. Not just "find this in an atlas" but give me the answer to whatever they are doing.

We aren't big on things like tests, or writing essays (writing is a whole other issue we have here).

Does this exist?

Edited by datimasa

Just a little more info:

* I am not confident in teaching/grading writing (it is my worst subject). I am going to have my oldest going through WWS to get a grasp on writing basics. My 11yo will do WWE and then move to WWS.

* They are not college bound. It is not in their interest at all and it is not within our beliefs to send them to college. If they want to do long distance learning in something that is fine. But, I want them to be literate in things of history and literature. I want them to have a good foundation with which to teach their own dc one day. I want them to be able to converse with fellow homeschoolers and feel comfortable.

* They do not have a basic overview of history. This is my fault for being so uncertain and hesitant on a history program so I just did almost nothing. I did the same with writing. I am wanting to correct that and have learned for my younger dc.

Last year, I was in the same place you are now. I, too, was worried about the planning. It really is not bad at all. I have the DE version, so during the summer I copied all of the pages my DS would need for the first half of the year (i can't be exactly sure how long it took, but it was a few hours). Each week I print out the teacher's notes and read through them, which takes about an hour (I also try to keep up with the literture assignments, which takes a few hours each week......but you would not have to do this). I too was worried about the answers being phased out, but all of the information you need is in the teacher's notes. The notes are invaluable. Also, at least for Year 1, all the answers for the literature assignments are included each week (it is just the history questions that do not have word for word answers...but trust me, all you need is right there). I am so happy we went with TOG. My ds loves it. I love that it is a soild program with bible/history/literature/geography integrated (and of course art, philosophy, and government are scheduled as well!!!)

As far as heavy reading, TOG Year 1 is not "heavy" in subject matter, but I do think it increases significantly in year 2. As for writing, I think for a student to prepared for college they need to write a lot, and I love the writing assignments, although the instruction is somewhat lacking (we have been using The Lively Art of Writing as a supplement).

I think some of your other ideas would work, but pulling together a program is a lot of work (and with a 4 year old running around, I just don't have time :D). Hopefully someone else can give you advice on other options. Blessings!

Would you believe I have never even looked at the WTM plan? Does anyone have a link? :)

I too was worried about the answers being phased out, but all of the information you need is in the teacher's notes. The notes are invaluable. Also, at least for Year 1, all the answers for the literature assignments are included each week (it is just the history questions that do not have word for word answers...but trust me, all you need is right there).

Thanks for this info! I would love to hear from anyone who has used Yr 2 to know if this is still the case.

See if your library has the book by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer, The Well Trained Mind.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I have used every d@MN program out there....and come back to TWTM every single time. Seriously....much easier to put together and my kids love it.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I have used every d@MN program out there....and come back to TWTM every single time. Seriously....much easier to put together and my kids love it.

:lol:Still need the "coffee sputtering" icon.

Faithe, I have looked at that high school plan for years and thought "hmm hmm, too tough, too complicated - I'll just write my own stuff." :tongue_smilie:

How can one home school mother have a "moron moment" that lasts for years? Honestly!

I decided to do the ancient part of the Great Books for myself this summer since Swimmer Dude is off to public high school. I finally read TWTM Great Books part thoroughly and thought, "Is that all there is to it? I can do that!" The best part is Swimmer Dude decided to join me for the reading and discussion over the summer as he loves the ancients. I give him two weeks at ps. Call me evil.

OP- at least take a look at the book if not from your library, you can pick it up cheap online and it's a great resource. You can adapt to your needs if there is no interest in the Greeks and Romans.

I have never used the Notgrass curriculum but am very curious about it. You could do a year of world history, another for American, then finish with government and economics( most likely state graduation requirements) . I am not sure what perspective the bible portion of the curriculum is. I do think the books could be found for the kindle or used.

Another one for you to look at Ambleside.

I hope these ideas help. We use the kindle for free books. It is great!

Faithe, I have looked at that high school plan for years and thought "hmm hmm, too tough, too complicated - I'll just write my own stuff." :tongue_smilie:

How can one home school mother have a "moron moment" that lasts for years? Honestly!

I decided to do the ancient part of the Great Books for myself this summer since Swimmer Dude is off to public high school. I finally read TWTM Great Books part thoroughly and thought, "Is that all there is to it? I can do that!" The best part is Swimmer Dude decided to join me for the reading and discussion over the summer as he loves the ancients. I give him two weeks at ps. Call me evil.

OP- at least take a look at the book if not from your library, you can pick it up cheap online and it's a great resource. You can adapt to your needs if there is no interest in the Greeks and Romans.

The more different things I dabble with, the more I think that there really is a simplistic beauty in WTM. If you really want boxes to check, then make something like:

Read 2-6 pages in Spine ABC (insert name of grade appropriate history encyclopedia here).

Write down 3 things that are significant, or outline the history presented (depending on grade).

Pick someone or something cool from the readings to research.

Get library books or research online.

Write a paragraph on what you learned.

File outline and paragraph in a notebook.

Fill out a map if appropriate.

Read something else interesting.

Repeat next week.

That's a huge oversimplification of what we ended up doing for a couple years of middle school. I have an older edition Tapestry of Grace schedule. And I use it sometimes to get ideas for areas of concentration. But as often as not, it's to say that we're doing something different.

It seems like TWM does not include Biblical worldview or commentary since it is just kind of a guide or recommendations, right?

I looked at AO, but again, no guided Biblical commentary.

I'm going to look at Biblioplan. But, I am thinking I might just go with TOG. How have you found using Kindle versions of books works, esp. if they say to read certain pages? Is it hard to adapt? If I can truly use Kindle, I think I will definitely go with TOG. Unless anyone has any better ideas. :D

From what I can see, you're looking for My Father's World. :hurray:

:iagree: This is my plan for HS this year with my 9th grader. My others will be using MOH 1 (and 2 for my 7th grader) with the youngers so they will still be in the same time period. I am still unsure about the writing in MFW AHL so will have IEW for backup just in case I am not happy with it.

You might like Biblioplan, but Year 2 is in revision and won't be complete until summer. You can get a free 3 week sample of ancients or modern at the website.

If you want a spine that is a textbook to give your high school student some preparation for college textbooks, I highly recommend Glencoe World History. It is a very interesting book that is secular but very balanced. Oak Meadow has a syllabus for it as well.

To throw something else into the mix, I am kind of liking the look of SCM :P I can't find any definite info on what their beliefs are though. And, I don't think they provide commentary or worldview.

I looked at Biblioplan, but their website is hard to navigate and their samples are just one page and some of them make my computer freeze. The website is so unappealing it makes me wonder about their curriculum. I just can't really "see" how it would work, yk? I also saw that year 2 wouldn't be ready till later this year and it didn't have samples for it.

I really appreciate everyone helping me think this out. :)

To throw something else into the mix, I am kind of liking the look of SCM :P I can't find any definite info on what their beliefs are though. And, I don't think they provide commentary or worldview.

I looked at Biblioplan, but their website is hard to navigate and their samples are just one page and some of them make my computer freeze. The website is so unappealing it makes me wonder about their curriculum. I just can't really "see" how it would work, yk? I also saw that year 2 wouldn't be ready till later this year and it didn't have samples for it.

I really appreciate everyone helping me think this out. :)

What about Sonlight? Maybe Core W? They are less expensive than TOG, and include history/Lit/Bible, and have a payment plan if you qualify. I was happy to find out we did, and the 9 month payment plan is going on until the end of the month. Then in June there is a 6 month payment plan. Lots of historical fiction, since it seems that is what you want. Otherwise I do agree Notgrass might be the level you are looking for as well.http://www.sonlight.com/core-w.html

Edited by ktgrok

Biblioplan now includes a textbook, which isn't difficult reading but enjoyable. The history work includes mapwork, which is excellent, a timeline, which is easy peasy, and a two-page worksheet; i.e. fill-in-the-blank, short answers, short essays, and one research essay per week. History usually takes 2-3 days. Bible is integrated with assigned readings. After history is complete, the student spends the rest of his week studying suggested literature. Biblioplan does not include the guides for the lit work. You can use anything you want. BP is flexible. We add reading about art, architecture and historical economics as well as the assigned reading in "Victor Journey." We study full literature selections. BP includes history and geography tests. It is flexible, and the cost is reasonable.

Edited by 1Togo

It seems like TWM does not include Biblical worldview or commentary since it is just kind of a guide or recommendations, right?

I looked at AO, but again, no guided Biblical commentary.

I'm going to look at Biblioplan. But, I am thinking I might just go with TOG. How have you found using Kindle versions of books works, esp. if they say to read certain pages? Is it hard to adapt? If I can truly use Kindle, I think I will definitely go with TOG. Unless anyone has any better ideas. :D

I love TOG because the biblical worldview is interwoven throguhout the program, and it is not in the student's notes (only the teacher's notes). TOG does ask questions to make the students think and form their own opinions.

As far as books on Kindle, I have found that most of the books are not on Kindle, but they can be found used for much less than ordering through TOG. The most expensive book is generally the Norton Anthologies, but I just bought mine for next year used on Amazon for $25 (and it is a hardback :D). Norton is a great deal for the ancient literature, even if you don't go with TOG, because most of the works are complete. Also, I buy my books gradually over the year as we need them to spread out the cost.

:lol: and :party: (I'm stalking your posts this evening, lol!)

The more different things I dabble with, the more I think that there really is a simplistic beauty in WTM. If you really want boxes to check, then make something like:

Read 2-6 pages in Spine ABC (insert name of grade appropriate history encyclopedia here).

Write down 3 things that are significant, or outline the history presented (depending on grade).

Pick someone or something cool from the readings to research.

Get library books or research online.

Write a paragraph on what you learned.

File outline and paragraph in a notebook.

Fill out a map if appropriate.

Read something else interesting.

Repeat next week.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: This is what I do - figure out the principles outlined in TWTM, and then make a list pretty much like this. It keeps my week organized, the kids know what to expect, and it is very flexible with whatever reading we do (within my chosen theme for the year, for ex. ancient history and literature). I love that we are learning HOW to study.

As you study and discuss the material, though, you can discuss it through your own lens such as Biblical worldview.

I really like the overall point/goal of TOG. I like that it comes from a reformed perspective (even if it doesn't show up much in the notes). I believe someone's worldview WILL show up in a curriculum even if they try to be neutral. I can even get over all the planning :D

Here's what I am wondering:

* How important do you think it is to have the exact editions of the books that they say? I was really thinking of getting a Kindle for my oldest and getting a lot of the books free or for less. I know some assignments give page numbers, but how often is this and would it be easy to know where to read in an e-book form? Or even just a different edition of a paper book. It would be cheaper to buy that way, or borrow from the library. (Though, someone just said that they don't carry very many of the books on Kindle, I'll have to look into that).

* I don't like some of the Rhetoric level literature books. I thought about doing Dialectic for some things, BUT is there a huge difference in how you teach/discuss with them on these different levels? One of the main things I want is for her to learn how to view these materials through a biblical worldview. It's why I am attracted to this curriculum. Will she miss out on that in the D level? Or will it just be tamed down some?

* As I said earlier, she is not college bound. It seems that there is a big focus on having them ready for this and even using college level books. Would I be short changing her to do some or even most D level literature books and notes?

I looked at MFW but I really wanted something that includes all ages. I didn't see that as an option.

I did look at Biblioplan again like someone suggested, but from the sample I could see, they seem to have Catholic bias? The way they had several saints in the sample really gave that impression. Plus the teacher's guide seemed kind of, IDK, busy? cluttered? too packed with info that would not be easily translatable to the kids? Maybe it wasn't their best example.

I guess I want the biblical worldview and commentary interwoven in the way that TOG does, but much prefer the D level lit books. Though she has already read at least 3 of them. I also wonder if it is overkill? Why do SO many people talk about burning out, taking a break, etc.???

As you study and discuss the material, though, you can discuss it through your own lens such as Biblical worldview.

I've also found that many of the commentaries I read seem to already have a conclusion they then apply to the work, rather than taking the work, applying critical reading and historical and biographical information to form a conclusion. One example that struck me was a popular introduction to high school literature that panned Call of the Wild because Jack London was too much in the school of Naturalism and the work (according to this curriculum) spent to much time on the superiority of Nature over Man. I thought this so missed the point of much of the story, and even missed an opportunity (as a Christian curriculum) to discuss how the work demonstrated human tendencies to depravity.

I've seen this in so many different places from so many different worldviews. I try not to go totally deconstructionist, but it seems like a lot of experts come with an axe preground.

What's more, I think that relying too much on commentary can tend to make the reader dependent on this interpretation of the work, rather than building the mental discernment to make the connections on their own. I read The Annotated Pride and Prejudice recently. There were some really good sections, where things like entailing of property were deeply explained. But there were so many comments and asides that really seemed pretty evident from the context.

I just finished Jane Eyre this week, prepping to teach it in a Lit coop class starting in the fall. There are several sections where there is clearly a literary or Biblical allusion. You can see there is an allusion because there are quotations around the text or indentations for the quote. All it takes is googling a half dozen words to get to the Psalm or poem that is being referenced.

One of the allusions toward the end is to Scott's Lay of the Last Minstral. Yet the commentary to Jane Eyre that I found managed to take what I thought was exactly the wrong point from the reference. Instead of seeing it as the expectation on the part of the character quoting the poem that Jane will give way to his pressure to marry him, the commentary somehow read it as assurance from Bronte that there would be a happy ending for Jane and Rochester. I really thought this was literary malpractice.

But take this with a grain of salt. I argue with the commentary in my study Bible too.

All of this was simply to say that while you might not get every single nuance, I think most people are capable of getting a lot out of reading a book. Not least the skills of how to read. If you really think you need some support, there are lots of books out there, from How to Read Like a Professor to Invitation to the Classics to Gene Veith's commentaries on books, to The Well Educated Mind, to Spark Notes and Pink Monkey commentaries to the teacher guides that are available for many editions like the Penguin Classics.

I find that I disagree often enough with people who share my church home and agree often enough with people from other faith backgrounds that I don't want faith labels to be the limiting factor when I pick curriculum (with the caveat that I shy away from perspectives that I find I fight with too much or don't respect at all - faith or philosophical or political).

I guess I want the biblical worldview and commentary interwoven in the way that TOG does, but much prefer the D level lit books. Though she has already read at least 3 of them. I also wonder if it is overkill? Why do SO many people talk about burning out, taking a break, etc.???

I think that people get tired at the end of many types of school years. Spring is in the air and you want to go spend time gardening or at the pool, not inside doing worksheets and answering questions.

I also think that it is easy to let the curriculum become the master rather than the tool. If you think that dd has a better fit with the dialectic rather than rhetoric books, then use that column. If you get to something she's read, you could have her read something else (a related book or another book by the author), go up to the rhetoric level for that topic, go more in depth on other categories (like the fine arts or crafts) or even skip that whole week.

Sebastian, I really enjoyed reading your thread on "Books first, commentary second."

Oh, I didn't realize it was only in the book. :)

It's not. :D The following lectures were really helpful to me in feeling confident that I could pull together my own plan for my own family.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/great-books-history-as-literature.html (this is also available as a download)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/what-is-literary-analysis-mp3.html

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/educating-ourselves-as-we-educate-our-children.html

I think TWTM expects the parent to teach the study skills (yes, with help from recommendations) and then to help the student learn how to form his or her own opinions. Your own worldview opinions may naturally come through via discussion about the books, so you might consider not even relying on someone else's commentary.

I have been all over this board and the web to figure this out. I was/am considering TOG, but a few things holding me back are the expense, the planning I will have to do, and I don't know that I really care for the selections all that much. BUT, the thing I like about it is it keeping all the dc in the same period of history at their own levels. Plus, the biblical worldview commentary. Though, I read in the sample that the sample answers given to the student questions in the Teacher's notes (I have a feeling I butchered that sentence grammatically, lol) would be slowly phased out as the unit progressed. Umm, that's is exactly why I would WANT that curriculum. :001_huh:

I wanted to answer the bolded part clearly. I think you must have misread what they were saying because I've done all four years of redesign and this does not happen. It is possible that they were trying tell you that at first you'd have to do more leading and telling of the answer to your child, but that over time YOU should fade out on the answers and your child should take center stage.

I really like the overall point/goal of TOG. I like that it comes from a reformed perspective (even if it doesn't show up much in the notes). I believe someone's worldview WILL show up in a curriculum even if they try to be neutral. I can even get over all the planning :D

Here's what I am wondering:

* How important do you think it is to have the exact editions of the books that they say? I was really thinking of getting a Kindle for my oldest and getting a lot of the books free or for less. I know some assignments give page numbers, but how often is this and would it be easy to know where to read in an e-book form? Or even just a different edition of a paper book. It would be cheaper to buy that way, or borrow from the library. (Though, someone just said that they don't carry very many of the books on Kindle, I'll have to look into that).

It will depend on the book. Some of the older books they used are available in many editions. One in particular used at the D level, people often try to sub for, but it is used for 1 1/2 years and in some weeks they must use page numbers because they don't cover a full chapter. I've seen people pretty frustrated by that. Similarly some books they don't tackle the full work. As an example instead of reading 1400 pages of Les Mis in the third year plan they read an edited version of about 600 pages. Your student will probably thank you if you follow their lead.

I have successfully substituted earlier editions of the books they used (I had an earlier edition of Hakim's American history series) and I have been successful in substituting in replacement books from those I already owned.

* I don't like some of the Rhetoric level literature books. I thought about doing Dialectic for some things, BUT is there a huge difference in how you teach/discuss with them on these different levels? One of the main things I want is for her to learn how to view these materials through a biblical worldview. It's why I am attracted to this curriculum. Will she miss out on that in the D level? Or will it just be tamed down some?

Yes, the level difference between these is pretty big, especially in the first two year plans. They do provide cutting plans so if there is too much lit, you can reduce it. You could certainly sub out some works with ones at the D level if you wanted. You might have to juggle and think a bit but it could be done.

It might also help if you told us what Lit they do, you don't want to do.

* As I said earlier, she is not college bound. It seems that there is a big focus on having them ready for this and even using college level books. Would I be short changing her to do some or even most D level literature books and notes?

You're right Tapestry does expect a high level of work from high school level students. I'd like to think that even for a non-college bound student this could be a benefit because learning is always useful.

Especially for a ninth grader, you could certainly do D level work; many folk do that for ninth and tenth grade. Year Two is huge in terms of the R level lit and a lot of ninth or tenth graders would struggle with it. Tapestry even suggests this. Especially for someone new to Tapestry this might be a smart idea.

You guys have been so helpful! Thank you! I've been praying for wisdom and have talked things over with my dh. I decided to take the plunge for TOG! I bought Year 2 Unit 1 with Map Aids. I agree that some things make so much more sense when you can see it in front of you. I also got the Planning 101 video and watched it all last night, lol. I had already watched the planning video on Marcia's blog. I have been so blessed by some of Marcia's blog posts.

Ok, so I am determined NOT to let this curriculum rule me :tongue_smilie: Already I was thinking of a different book I could use instead of one of their Summer Reading catch-up books. I am usually a person that likes things laid out for me, but I think I have gotten a little more confident over the years. Also, I agree that I don't need to follow someone else's commentary blindly. I actually never do this, but I don't want to have to be swimming against the tide through the whole thing and constantly on guard for the tiniest little comment, yk? Knowing that the author is Reformed in background makes me feel much more at ease. But, I can't help but be critical in everything I read and watch (it kind of comes naturally, maybe from a cynical nature? :blush: ). I teach my girls to do the same thing. But, if someone who is older and wiser than me and has the same basic beliefs has taken the time to research something, I feel a little more comfortable in taking their word for it and not having to do all the research myself (otherwise why would I even buy a curriculum??).

Y'all are making me feel so much better about using D for her sometimes if I feel more comfortable with that! I have only looked at the first week and so far the history discussion seems almost exactly alike in the D & R levels, but I'm sure that will change as the weeks progress.

She has already read so many of the books on all the "lists" (AO, 1,000 GB, etc.), so I don't think she will likely be lacking in the lit department even if I skip some. I keep reminding myself that it is not only OK to pick and choose, but that is what they EXPECT me to do. :chillpill:

Thanks again!!

Edited by datimasa
clarification

You guys have been so helpful! Thank you! I've been praying for wisdom and have talked things over with my dh. I decided to take the plunge for TOG! I bought Year 2 Unit 1 with Map Aids. I agree that some things make so much more sense when you can see it in front of you. I also got the Planning 101 video and watched it all last night, lol. I had already watched the planning video on Marcia's blog. I have been so blessed by some of Marcia's blog posts.

Ok, so I am determined NOT to let this curriculum rule me :tongue_smilie: Already I was thinking of a different book I could use instead of one of their Summer Reading catch-up books. I am usually a person that likes things laid out for me, but I think I have gotten a little more confident over the years. Also, I agree that I don't need to follow someone else's commentary blindly. I actually never do this, but I don't want to have to be swimming against the tide through the whole thing and constantly on guard for the tiniest little comment, yk? Knowing that the author is Reformed in background makes me feel much more at ease. But, I can't help but be critical in everything I read and watch (it kind of comes naturally, maybe from a cynical nature? :blush: ). I teach my girls to do the same thing. But, if someone who is older and wiser than me and has the same basic beliefs has taken the time to research something, I feel a little more comfortable in taking their word for it and not having to do all the research myself (otherwise why would I even buy a curriculum??).

Y'all are making me feel so much better about using D for her sometimes if I feel more comfortable with that! I have only looked at the first week and so far the history discussion seems almost exactly alike in the D & R levels, but I'm sure that will change as the weeks progress.

She has already read so many of the books on all the "lists" (AO, 1,000 GB, etc.), so I don't think she will likely be lacking in the lit department even if I skip some. I keep reminding myself that it is not only OK to pick and choose, but that is what they EXPECT me to do. :chillpill:

Thanks again!!

Also-remember that Lit is only one component and you could quite easily drop TOG lit and do a separate literature program and not tie it to history at all. Reading the lit selections at the D & R levels isn't required for success with the history material. Or if you have a student who loves to read perhaps she will want full versions of books rather than the adaptations that TOG often uses or would like to read all the optional lit books as well.

Enjoy!

Also-remember that Lit is only one component and you could quite easily drop TOG lit and do a separate literature program and not tie it to history at all. Reading the lit selections at the D & R levels isn't required for success with the history material. Or if you have a student who loves to read perhaps she will want full versions of books rather than the adaptations that TOG often uses or would like to read all the optional lit books as well.

Enjoy!

Great idea! I will keep this in mind! :)

Also, I agree that I don't need to follow someone else's commentary blindly. I actually never do this, but I don't want to have to be swimming against the tide through the whole thing and constantly on guard for the tiniest little comment, yk?

What I love about TOG is the commentary is in the teacher's notes, not the student's notes, so you can lead the discussions. I also feel that TOG really emphasizes literture analysis and looking at a work based on its own merits :).

Blessings!!