Menu

Preschool Math

I would like to know what you have used for math in preschool (3-4 years old). I know a lot of people don't really do anything or buy anything at this age, but I would like something that I can do with DS as he has been asking for "school work" and I don't want him to feel left out.

I want something that is already pre-made. I don't want to have to print a ton of stuff. I already do plenty of printing with the older 2. I don't want anything religious. I already have lots of manupilatives.

What have you bought for your preschooler? :bigear:

I would like to know what you have used for math in preschool (3-4 years old). I know a lot of people don't really do anything or buy anything at this age, but I would like something that I can do with DS as he has been asking for "school work" and I don't want him to feel left out.

I want something that is already pre-made. I don't want to have to print a ton of stuff. I already do plenty of printing with the older 2. I don't want anything religious. I already have lots of manupilatives.

What have you bought for your preschooler? :bigear:

Singapore Essential Math has worked for us at that age. Book A is more of a preschool level than K.

Well I wanted to use RS A with my ds, but he's just not ready for it. I just ordered the tm for Saxon K5 (yes, you heard right, SAXON!), so we'll see how that is. It looks like it uses the manipulatives I already have from RS, and it sounds adorable. Money, tanagrams, just lots of basic stuff. Like you, I need some structure, not wishful thinking and a puddle of ideas. And the price used was quite affordable (amazon marketplace).

I haven't seen the Saxon essentials stuff to have an opinion on it. My boy is pretty wiggly, so I figured playing with manipulatives was about right for us.

Though I agree with Singapore Essentials, I bought the Earlybird Activity book for my small girl to work in. I think she will like the cut and paste stuff and I chose only the activity book because I think the "A" material will be a bit easy.

Well I wanted to use RS A with my ds, but he's just not ready for it. I just ordered the tm for Saxon K5 (yes, you heard right, SAXON!), so we'll see how that is. It looks like it uses the manipulatives I already have from RS, and it sounds adorable. Money, tanagrams, just lots of basic stuff. Like you, I need some structure, not wishful thinking and a puddle of ideas. And the price used was quite affordable (amazon marketplace).

I haven't seen the Saxon essentials stuff to have an opinion on it. My boy is pretty wiggly, so I figured playing with manipulatives was about right for us.

:iagree: Us too. I started RS A and hit major walls. He just wasn't ready for it at all. We did Saxon K, which was FUN! After that we easily moved into RS A. Saxon K is very heavy on manipulatives, and each lesson is just like playtime. FWIW we didn't always follow their schedule or do the Meeting Book.

I agree with Singapore Essential Math. Almost every page has a suggestion for expanding the lesson with manipulatives. It's nice to have that all spelled out for you, but also to know that the program can stand on its own without the manipulatives, for days when your child either doesn't need it or you're just not interested.

Though I agree with Singapore Essentials, I bought the Earlybird Activity book for my small girl to work in. I think she will like the cut and paste stuff and I chose only the activity book because I think the "A" material will be a bit easy.

:iagree:

I used early for my DD when she was 3 also, She loves the cut/paste

A couple of questions regarding the Singapore Early Bird Math books....do you need both the text and activity books? After looking at the samples, they both have questions to answer (and it looks like you write in the text). I noticed in the textbook that it gave teaching suggestions...am I missing something else?

Also, my almost 4 yo is taking off...she just taught herself to count to 100 last week and understands simple addition/subtraction as well as all her shapes. Would books A and B be worthwhile to pursue? She doesn't have the muscle strength yet to do much writing and I don't know if these books require lots of independent writing.

Thanks!

Edited by EastTNmom
Typo

A couple of questions regarding the Singapore Early Bird Math books....do you need both the text and activity books? After looking at the samples, they both have questions to answer (and it looks like you write in the text). I noticed in the textbook that it gave teaching suggestions...am I missing something else?

Also, my almost 4 yo is taking off...she just taught herself to count to 100 last week and understands simple addition/subtraction as well as all her shapes. Would books A and B be worthwhile to pursue? She doesn't have the muscle strength yet to do much writing and I don't know if these books require lots of independent writing.

Thanks!

SM Essentials and Earlybird have directions to the parent / instructor at the bottom of each page, indicating how to concretely introduce a topic.

If your 4yo is already that advanced, I definitely would at least go with SM Essentials, and not Earlybird. However, have you looked into Miquon at all? She might be able to find her own pace more easily there.

Last year the Hive gave me a brilliant solution for the student who can add and count, but can't yet write: the child can use Cuisenaire rods or number cards to show her answers! It worked like a charm.

SM Essentials and Earlybird have directions to the parent / instructor at the bottom of each page, indicating how to concretely introduce a topic.

If your 4yo is already that advanced, I definitely would at least go with SM Essentials, and not Earlybird. However, have you looked into Miquon at all? She might be able to find her own pace more easily there.

Last year the Hive gave me a brilliant solution for the student who can add and count, but can't yet write: the child can use Cuisenaire rods or number cards to show her answers! It worked like a charm.

:iagree: Earlybird was terrible for my mathy boy at 3.5. We are sticking with Essentials from now on but Miquon and Cuisenaire Rods are fantastic.

My current preschooler really enjoyed MEP Reception. I only printed the teachers pages, one group at a time. For the most part DD pointed to the "posters" on my monitor. There were some pages that wanted her to draw directly on them. I cut and pasted them over to Paint and she drew on them with the computer mouse.

:iagree: Us too. I started RS A and hit major walls. He just wasn't ready for it at all. We did Saxon K, which was FUN! After that we easily moved into RS A. Saxon K is very heavy on manipulatives, and each lesson is just like playtime. FWIW we didn't always follow their schedule or do the Meeting Book.

Thanks for sharing that! Sounds like I'm on the right track! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought slow and steady get me ready for my soon to be 3 year old. It has activities from birth to age 5. after looking though it is seems like there are lots of activities that are considered math for that age. It looks like a lot of fun and we just did our second week of activities. For that age lots of activities are considered math. shapes, simple counting. I haven't seen anything that would be like a curriculum for that age. You might want to check out that book. It's fun.