Menu

What do tweens and teens enjoy ?

I would like to find out specifically, what kinds of things tween and teen kids like to do for fun when they get together socially.

Our kids are not this old yet and are still very happy just playing with friends at a park. But I am involved with a social group for homeschooled kids, and we are having a hard time getting the older kids interested and happy at group gatherings.

My husband and I have both recollected that the things we did with friends at this age are not the kind of things that would work for this. I would like to help contribute ideas for what kinds of options would be fun for the older kids, but I really don't know. I would appreciate any suggestions - thanks !

Our homeschool group does a barn dance about twice a year. They hire a square dance caller, and he teaches the kids some line dances and some square dancing. Last time, there were about 80 middle school and high school kids there, and they all seemed to have a good time. My 4 oldest enjoyed themselves. Oh, of course they had LOTS of food. That was a huge draw :)

They also do movie nights where a family that has a large yard sets up a screen and projector and they rent a movie. Everyone brings chairs and blankets and snacks. And they occasionally have park days where they play ball or have water balloon fights, and sometimes they have lunches at the local pizza buffet place. Oh, and there are roller skate nights and ice skating days. Those are usually for all ages, although there are lots of teens that attend.

Great ideas! I wanted to second the square dancing. It sounds kinda dorky but is really a LOT of fun! We had a family reunion several years ago and hired a caller. It was so much fun! Everyone enjoyed themselves - even the teens who thought they were "too cool" for it. :)

Our group has ballroom dancing every other Friday night; a once a month "teen night" with food and games and general socializing at a family's house, supervised by parents; ultimate frisbee in the park once a week as long as the weather is decent; smaller groups get together for movie nights, etc. The frisbee and the dancing are the highlights in our group.:D

Rock climbing at a local indoor rockwall gym

Bowling

Putt-putt

Kickball games

Field Day activities

movie nights

game nights

organized activities such as a chess club, running group, or other special interests

anything that involves snacks/foods tends to interest the teens/tweens that I know!

For the past 3 days, my house has been filled with tweens and teenage boys. My son hurt his foot and is in a black boot. To help him slow down, I have encouraged him to invite the neighborhood boys in our house instead of hanging out outside.

These boys are super noisy and tons of fun.

They have played every board game we own. They love to sit around and talk and laugh loudly.

It is almost 9 p.m. and there are still a few of the teens here playing X-box. They only get to play video games if it is a small group of boys and for limited amounts of time (actually my son has to read for an hour to play video games for an hour - so this is his video time).

Overall, I think they have the most fun just hanging out. They love being outside playing any and every sport. They love their Ripstiks, basketball, frisbee, football, soccer, playing with R/C cars ... anything as long as they are outside.:D

Mini golf around the yard

Spray bottle wars on swings or around the yard

Robotics

DS just got an RC helicopter that has been a hit in a small group--they got a big thrill out of sending each other raisins.

Nerf battles

Marshmallow roasts

Board games

Building catapults/rockets/flingers of all sorts

Eating

My teens still enjoy simple activities like blowing bubbles and using sidewalk chalk. They tend to develop their own games while using those types of things.

Frisbee Golf (Frolf) is huge here with teens and young adults. There are several cool courses around town.

Summer:

Shoot hoops

Baseball/Softball

Biking

Hiking

Winter:

sledding

skiing

video games

board games

D&D (or similiar role play games)

watch movies - especially things with zombies.

hang out and listen to music.

:lurk5:

I'm the incoming president of a local homeschooling group, and would like to get them more active socially, especially with the teens. There are lots of them in the group but only 4-5 of them show up for the youth events that have been scheduled this past year. Usually they do a movie, but they've done a game night and geocaching. Before my eldest was old enough to attend, they did a Nerf gun thing. They've also had a couple of barn dances, but I don't know how well attended they were.

Edited by joannqn

Some brainstorming . . . .

Both genders seem to love: sledding (winter), pools (summer), skiing (winter), bonfires (anytime), FOOD (anytime, junk food, junk food, junk food). Fondue parties and making s'mores are food-centered events that are also social. Movies are always a safe bet, but they are not very interactive. Water battles (with big water guns and/or water balloons) are fun. If you are going away from the home/church, then amusement parks are always a hit.

My teen girl and her friends enjoy: crafts (beading, glass fusing, clay, etc), just having sleep overs and gabbing, baking sweets, and feeding/playing with the animals (hens, goats, etc).

My tween/teen boy and his friends enjoy physical things like running around with foam swords (google "dagohir"), throwing footballs or frisbees, camping out, especially if they are "roughing it" and making their own shelters/etc, airsoft battles or target practice, etc. Wii and xbox are also always popular.

I would like to find out specifically, what kinds of things tween and teen kids like to do for fun when they get together socially.

Our kids are not this old yet and are still very happy just playing with friends at a park. But I am involved with a social group for homeschooled kids, and we are having a hard time getting the older kids interested and happy at group gatherings.

My husband and I have both recollected that the things we did with friends at this age are not the kind of things that would work for this. I would like to help contribute ideas for what kinds of options would be fun for the older kids, but I really don't know. I would appreciate any suggestions - thanks !

Hard to say for sure because different groups of kids will have of course have different "flavors", but when my teens and their friends hang out they listen to music, talk, watch movies, make noise :), act goofy, take pictures (we have some talented budding photographers in the mix), dance and jam - there are lots of musicians in the group as well.

Great thread as I'm listening too! Thanks.

Right now our "younger" teens are watching movies "teen movie night" at a friend's house about once a month or two and "supervised" all the way. Also, music and maybe karoke (sp?), cards - check out Quiddler (great card game).

Foosball, air hockey if anyone has those. Also, pool table.

Thank you all for the ideas. I do appreciate them. These will help to plan some events just for that age group.

I am also looking specifically for things the older kids can do at all-ages gatherings to help them be more comfortable and perhaps bond. They seem so unhappy and uninterested in being there. It seems to be so hard to get the older kids to come on the same day, bond, and then come up with some of their own ideas for activities to share so they aren't bored there. It seems like a difficult age for making friends. We would consider setting up almost anything they came up with.

Our homeschool group teen nights include Euchre Night, Monopoly Night, and Bunco Night. All of these are played tournament style so that the kids keep moving to different tables and interacting with everyone there. We also have a murder mystery night. That is a favorite with our teens. Everyone is assigned a role ahead of time and comes in costume.

I find that the teens are happiest when they have their own get-together; is that a possibility? We do a teen night monthly at my house, and the kids are quite happy as long as there is good food, no little ones around, and enough space that the adults aren't hovering. They generally spend the vast majority of time talking.

There's an organization that raises funds for our local public school district, and their main method to raise funds is for parents to host parties at this time of the year to celebrate the school year. I thought that some of the party ideas might provide ideas and inspiration:

* luau theme (come in Hawaiian wear)

* swim, ping pong, trampoline, BBQ

* bonfire, night games

Thank you all for the ideas. I do appreciate them. These will help to plan some events just for that age group.

I am also looking specifically for things the older kids can do at all-ages gatherings to help them be more comfortable and perhaps bond. They seem so unhappy and uninterested in being there. It seems to be so hard to get the older kids to come on the same day, bond, and then come up with some of their own ideas for activities to share so they aren't bored there. It seems like a difficult age for making friends. We would consider setting up almost anything they came up with.

I can tell you that my teen/tween do not want to attend any all age events. They do not want to be with all those little kids. They get miffed when we attend an event for teen and up and there are a bunch of little kid siblings tagging along. If it is a class or a field trip they feel like the siblings are a distraction. If it is a park day they don't want the little kids taking over their games. They don't want to have to always be careful or age appropriate. They just want to be themselves and feel they can't. Unless one of their best buds is also attending the event we don't go because I don't want to deal with the attitude that will come if they are the only tween/teens in attendance.