Menu

hardwood floors or laminate?

We need to replace our floors to make them more wheelchair friendly. We can "afford" hardwood and are considering it because we want something that will last as long as the house lasts. It will need to be durable and easy to fix since having a wheelchair in your home is like having a bike going through every day. We are open to laminate but its got to last us at least 30 years. We're here to stay.

Beth

I don't think there is any laminate that is made to last 30 years. I remember one nicer kitchen showroom wtih laminate and its finish coat had been worn off. it looked horrible. You would probably have to refinish hardwood once or possibly twice (depends how clean the wheels are inside) - but you can do it. I'd have a swedish finish-on-site as it is much more durable than the water based finishes.

(when doing our hardwoods, I asked around. One woman, very green eco-friendly, did a water-based finish. Her comment - "get the toxic one".)

eta: my swedish floors (including the entry) have been in for 10 years - and they're doing great. I don't forsee them needing to be refinished for a long time. I did one room prefinish aluminum oxide self-installed - in the kitchen - and it has been beaten up with chips out of the finish.

Edited by gardenmom5

I have hardwood, it is not easy to fix, but it is not easy to damage either. Some things, like dents from dropping a heavy pan just aren't "worth it" to fix and you just live with the character. I can't speak to wheelchair use on them.

Wood is really wonderful. ETA - yes like pp said, get the long wearing finish, I think it is polyutherane or something like that.

My mom has laminate and it has not held up well, I believe she had to replace it within 8 years, but she has 3 large dogs and I am sure she does not keep their nails short, so that is the source of her damage.

I would pick option three and recommend ceramic tile.. I have a high end laminate with a 25 year warranty and don't like it. Scuff and scratch resistance wise it is holding up marvelously to my four kids. No scratches that I know of and it is a year old. My complaint is the water resistance. The laminate I have is supposedly highly water resistant compared to cheaper variations yet, we had damage where one little ice cube chip melted in the seam of the floor :(

My mother in law and father in law put in hardwood and had MAJOR scratches from moving in alone...

I have had maple hardwoods in my great room, kitchen, and upstairs hallways for 20 years. They just now probably need to be refinished. We have raised three kids and two cats on them. About two months ago, we put in a high-end laminate in our daylight basement. I am very happy with it and people often think it is real wood, but it is noisier than hardwoods. How will it stand up? I don't know, but I would do the maple hardwoods again in a heartbeat.

We have oak and maple hardwoods and tile.

I HATE the tile for the feel of it. It's HARD on feet and backs. DH and I laugh about gel matting the entire kitchen. I can tell when I stand in front of the stove or sink too long.

The tile is tough though!! I finally chipped a tile the other day by dropping a glass jar on it. Hate the chip and need to figure out if I can have that tile replaced.

Now, the oak floor is my most fragile. That could just be the finish but it scratches the easiest of all my floors. I do love the look of it (it's glossy and so pretty when it's eprfect and clean!!)

My bedroom is maple. That seems to be the toughest wood in the house and I love that floor.