Menu

Parties and soda

What to do with soda stash  

1. 1. What to do with soda stash

• A. Hide the pop, serve your planned menu
    • B. Offer the pop, you have it you should share
    • C. Neither, you have no obligation to hide it or offer it, and they shouldn't ask for it either

You have no obligation to share it, but if you choose not to offer it, as a thoughtful hostess you should remove it from sight.

See, I don't think she'd be thoughtless if she left it out.

A hostess doesn't have to serve everything she has in her pantry.

I do think it is a good idea that if the in-laws offer to bring anything you say pop.

I think since you know that they like pop, a good hostess would have what they like. I think the key is you know what they like.

If you didn't know, then it would be okay to plan a menu without it - hide it or not hide it.

It's your in-laws; let them drink whatever they like. Sorry, I just don't understand not offering something you know they like that you have.

I agree. Whenever we have people over, if we know that they like a particular beverage...we try to have it on hand. Our Pastor loves Dr. Pepper. He would never expect us to buy it just for him, but I like having something here that I know he likes. Same thing with a friend and Big Red. I have friends who buy Pepsi when they know I am coming over. It is a small way to bless someone.

I voted to serve it before I saw that it was 22 people. I did think you meant just your dh's parents at first.

So, I'd say fine not to have soda, but would you consider adding something like Kool-aid? A pretty high percentage of people, especially kids, don't like iced tea or lemonade. It's a party, so I'd want the kids to have a fun choice in drinks. Kool-aid is super cheap.

And I would move the soda.

I agree. Whenever we have people over, if we know that they like a particular beverage...we try to have it on hand. Our Pastor loves Dr. Pepper. He would never expect us to buy it just for him, but I like having something here that I know he likes. Same thing with a friend and Big Red. I have friends who buy Pepsi when they know I am coming over. It is a small way to bless someone.

:iagree:

See, I don't think she'd be thoughtless if she left it out.

A hostess doesn't have to serve everything she has in her pantry.

Oh, "thoughtless" sounds so harsh! OP, I sure didn't mean to imply that! I really just meant to eliminate the source of the conflict/drama.

I think it's also too hard to say the soda is only for certain people.

And Catwoman, I also disagree. Water, tea and lemonade are absolutely sufficient, and sound delicious. Heck, no guest should complain as long as they are offered a cool glass of water, and no hostess should be ashamed to offer only that if she does so with a generous spirit.

I can't vote. I don't know what this soda is that you speak of. ;)

Hide the cans and go buy some 2 liters. $10 should get you enough, with sales, for everyone to have a glass or two. Then they can drink the tea and lemonade when the pop runs out.

ETA- I don't think it's thoughtless to not serve your whole pantry. But people see pop and assume party=pop. Hiding it prevents anyone from accidentally drinking it or awkward momments if someone asks. You don't need to worry about someone assuming your bananas or bread is on the menu, but if you don't want people eating "party food", best to just hide it.

Edited by Scuff

D.

Pop is crap that I'd never serve loved ones (or even the enemies I should endeavor to love). Dump it down the drain.

Bill

I try to serve healthy, tasty foods that will nourish my guests' body and tastebuds. Usually for me that means water, lemonaid, and (unsweetened herbal) tea. We don't buy soda for ourselves, and we don't usually buy it for guests.

On the other hand, I am also grateful when others bring things to contribute, and often that is soda.

Water, tea and lemonade are absolutely sufficient, and sound delicious. Heck, no guest should complain as long as they are offered a cool glass of water, and no hostess should be ashamed to offer only that if she does so with a generous spirit.

You can't serve something to just one or two people at a party and not to the others. If 22 of the guests are family and there are other guests besides, then if you give soda to family you must give it to all.

If this is a family holiday gathering and your house is just the venue, then I'd be likely to assign someone else the job of bringing soda. If this is your party (your child's birthday or graduation, etc.), then it's your menu and I'd stick with your menu and hide the soda to prevent any negativity.

I'd think that it's just pop, pop is cheap, and I'd be happy to serve it in 2 liters, or generic as suggested. I might encourage my own kids to make other choices though, or tell then it's just for the grownups.

If you buy off brand, it's about 1.25 a 2 liter. Is the goal to have a party where even pop drinkers enjoy themselves, or to avoid cost?

If you buy off brand, it's about 1.25 a 2 liter. Is the goal to have a party where even pop drinkers enjoy themselves, or to avoid cost?

Wow! $1.25 is what we pay for brand name, Pepsi or Coke, around here, most of the time. Sometimes a little less. Off brand is usually around 75 cents.

Wow! $1.25 is what we pay for brand name, Pepsi or Coke, around here, most of the time. Sometimes a little less. Off brand is usually around 75 cents.

yes, you are right... :-) whoopsie. :-)

I've had that many people over before, and I just buy about 5 big bottles, and also offer water / juice. We usually have some leftovers, whole bottles.

I often serve water, lemonade, and tea (or water, lemonade, coffee/hot chocolate in winter).

If we're being totally honest, I tend to think of serving soda as a tiny bit tacky, and a sign of someone who just didn't take the time or effort to prepare something special for their guests! :D

I guess the moral here is that you can't please everyone, huh? :001_smile:

I think it would be tacky if soda was the only beverage option, too! :001_smile:

In all honesty, our family parties tend to be a little over the top, to the point where if there's no valet parking, people might talk. So we usually have a full bar set up with a bartender, several different wine and bottled water options, plus a coffee/espresso/tea option for after dinner. The kids usually drink soda or some kind of juice. Truthfully, I think it's overkill, but it's what everybody does, and it keeps everyone happy.

I was thinking that the OP was having a very casual party for around 20 people and that it was essentially a kid's party, so that's why I figured soda would be pretty much expected by most of the guests, because in my experience at least, kids seem to like soda, and it sounds like the OP's ILs also drink it. If she has to buy the bottled water, anyway, soda might even be cheaper than that.