Menu

I cannot kill the weeds in my flower beds or the edge of my driveway! It's hot and

we are SO dry here and I just don't have time to pull weeds. I sprayed the infamous Roundup almost two weeks ago and they are STILL living!!! Roundup used to work for me. I'd spray in the spring and in the fall and never have to pull weeds. I've tried both the premixed one and the one you mix yourself. I've tried other products from Lowes for killing weeds. I feel like I'm spraying Koolaid on these #*#*# weeds. Urrgh! So, please tell me what do you use to kill your weeds.

Many thanks!

Molly

What KIND of weeds?

Round-up only works on certain kind (broadleaf), so you probably don't have that kind now....

But you have to make sure you are using the right stuff for the plant. If you have nut grass - well, that is resistant to about everything. There is a new product they developed to treat it - but i think it's still for professionals only.

DH pulled weeds yesterday :D

We use plain old vinegar. Works every time, and it isn't toxic (well, that's debatable. I mean, the STENCH!) LOL

I do the same. Vinegar works especially well on a sunny day. Spray them in the morning, and the weeds are usually dead by the time the sun goes down.

I do the same. Vinegar works especially well on a sunny day. Spray them in the morning, and the weeds are usually dead by the time the sun goes down.

I'll add a third voice to the Vinegar Chorus. If regular household white vinegar proves ineffective, get some 20% Acetic Acid Vinegar from a garden supply store. Works like magic. *evil laugh accompanied by pinky held to the mouth*

I feel your pain, and I'm taking notes!

Last year I planted about 8 celosia plants in one little area, and they have taken over my flower bed. I've pulled and pulled and pulled, and those nasty plants still keep coming back.

This afternoon, I'm going after them with vinegar!

What KIND of weeds?

Round-up only works on certain kind (broadleaf), so you probably don't have that kind now....

But you have to make sure you are using the right stuff for the plant. If you have nut grass - well, that is resistant to about everything. There is a new product they developed to treat it - but i think it's still for professionals only.

DH pulled weeds yesterday :D

I agree about using the proper stuff on the proper weed, but I want to point out that RoundUp is a GRASSY weed killer. If you have broadleafed weeds, Roundup is simply a cooling mist on their leaves. Also, the grass has to be actively growing. For example, I've heard folks use RU in the the dead of winter. Ahhh, no. That won't work. So find out what you've got, then plan your attack.

What kind of weeds do you have and where in the beds are they? Mixed with other flowers?

I find a hoe, not-too-dry-soil, and a little time are great eliminators. THEN cover the cleaned area with several layers of newspaper and two inches of mulch. Your weeds will be greatly reduced, as will your water consumption.

We do a lot of our gardening early in the morning when its relatively cool, but I know several passionate gardeners who pull weeds and do garden chores by flashlight at night.

Edited to add....pulling weeds is a dandy kid project. Pay them a nickel for every complete plant and root system they pull up.

I won't use toxic chemicals and one of my top priorities in life is to NOT support Monsanto. So I second all the advice as far as using vinegar and/or hot water is concerned, but must admit that sometimes it just doesn't work. As far as the drive in front of my house is concerned, for example, it looks absolutely atrocious. I've done it all over the years, and nothing works. Some of this stuff is extremely difficult to pull out, so handing the job over to kids isn't realistic, either. I've come to the conclusion (drumroll, please) that it...doesn't matter! Ta da! Yep. There's a whole wide world of suffering going on out there; I just can't get in a dither about weeds in the driveway.;)

Any-hoo, try the vinegar. It does work on a lot of the common weeds that tend to pop up in gardens. But some of the really tricky stuff might elude you.

My father has Parkinson's disease. Several studies have linked Round-up type products to Parkinson's disease as well as prostate cancer. I would never use Round-up. The stuff kills more then weeds.

Also, Round-up needs rain to work. It does not work during dry periods.

I use vinegar or a acid based product. If you really want to get them quick. Pour a mixture of boiled water and vinegar on the weeds.

I agree about using the proper stuff on the proper weed, but I want to point out that RoundUp is a GRASSY weed killer. If you have broadleafed weeds, Roundup is simply a cooling mist on their leaves. Also, the grass has to be actively growing. For example, I've heard folks use RU in the the dead of winter. Ahhh, no. That won't work. So find out what you've got, then plan your attack.

Oops. I mixed them - sorry! LOL!!! It's been a few years since i worked in that business ;)

But i'm going to have to try some of the others. If i go dump the gallon of vinegar i have out there maybe i can get to the pool ladder?????

Oops. I mixed them - sorry! LOL!!! It's been a few years since i worked in that business ;)

But i'm going to have to try some of the others. If i go dump the gallon of vinegar i have out there maybe i can get to the pool ladder?????

The vinegar will go farther if you use with boiled water. The water melts the wax on the leaves then you can kill with less vinegar.

You do not want to change th ph of the soil. Do you?

You do not want to change th ph of the soil. Do you?

Frankly i don't CARE.... i'm just tired of the weeds! LOL!!

Someday the spot will have an in-ground pool so i'm not worried about what is or isn't able to grow. The weeds are alive and thriving, the sod we put down died..... :tongue_smilie:

Frankly i don't CARE.... i'm just tired of the weeds! LOL!!

Someday the spot will have an in-ground pool so i'm not worried about what is or isn't able to grow. The weeds are alive and thriving, the sod we put down died..... :tongue_smilie:

That happened to us after we put our pool in. It was a mess. Scotts wasn't working. Nothing would grow until we found the corn gluten. But, that won't help you now.

When do you get your pool?

That happened to us after we put our pool in. It was a mess. Scotts wasn't working. Nothing would grow until we found the corn gluten. But, that won't help you now.

When do you get your pool?

DH scalped it with the mower - why he thought he could mulch it the first mowing i'll never know, and then the FL draught got really bad - we couldn't water enough to get it back up :( I'm so sick of looking at what we have though.... grass.... i want green grass.....

We have the above ground one for the foreseeable future.... we are talking about the in-ground since DH found out he can do some of it himself a whole lot cheaper than we thought. SOOO, as soon as we hit the lotto - we are good to go :D