Menu

AAS or Spelling Workout??

I started my first grader with spelling workout, but I was not pleased with the workbooks. My daughter was still getting fustrated with having to write so much, so we switched to AAS where she could use the tiles instead of writing everything. She loves it and I absolutely love it. We are now on to level 2 and plan to stick with it:)

I have both and really just use AAS. I found that Spelling Workout went at an odd pace for us- it went from "write the letter that makes this sound" to "write this full word." It required more advanced reading than my son could do but simpler spelling. (We may be weird in this, as I'm realizing he's a far better speller than reader...) I also found that it really was just like Explode the Code, in terms of workbook and pictures and fill in the blanks- we just didn't need more of the same, you know? AAS made such a nice change of pace for us. My son actually writes more with AAS than he did in Spelling Workout, but he doesn't complain. AAS is sneaky like that. :001_smile:

Here's another thing I'll say about it first grade and writing- the inconsistency in paper and line styles is frustrating. For me and my kids. We went through HWOT K and 1st and I purchased a 1st grade writing notebook from them. I photocopy their pages and do all of our narrations and spelling tests on them. Spelling Workout uses the double line with a dashed line in the middle format that I grew up with. I have no objection to this, and HWOT 1 does introduce this format. But since ETC also uses that format, I found it all too much for my kids- handwriting on one set of lines, ETC on another, Spelling Workout on one like ETC but bigger... I feel like, while they're learning writing, I like as much consistency in the paper and lines as I can get. Because of this, we try to do as much as we can on HWOT style paper, and I'll even write for my kids something in ETC. I will even tell them that handwriting doesn't matter sometimes in ETC, although I expect them to do their best. So, for that reason, I like AAS as we can use our own paper.

I began using SWO and switched to AAS. My particular kids benefit from learning spelling rules and strategies.

Personally, I would be fine with SWO. I see a word once and then I can spell it, but some of my kids are not geared that way.

With a young one, I would use AAS just because it is such an aid to teaching reading.

I think that SWO A is too much writing for many 1st graders. I also don't think like that it doesn't actually teach how to spell phonetically. It just combines words that are spelled similarly and then has the child write them a lot, hoping that the child will just remember the spelling, as opposed to actually learning true phonics and spelling rules. I would not use it unless I could not be involved in teaching spelling and I needed a workbook style program. There are many, many better programs out there for spelling.

Well, I knew I would be in the minority :001_smile:, but we actually like SWO. I researched and debated between it and AAS for quite a while, and the deciding factor for me was that my dd seems to be a natural speller. I just couldn't see a reason to spend so much on a spelling program in her case. She is doing fine with SWO, and it hasn't been too much writing so far. We started it when she was 5.5. I do think that AAS probably works better for kids who need more instruction in spelling. If my ds falls into that category, I will probably switch to AAS for him.

Well, I knew I would be in the minority :001_smile:, but we actually like SWO. I researched and debated between it and AAS for quite a while, and the deciding factor for me was that my dd seems to be a natural speller. I just couldn't see a reason to spend so much on a spelling program in her case. She is doing fine with SWO, and it hasn't been too much writing so far. We started it when she was 5.5. I do think that AAS probably works better for kids who need more instruction in spelling. If my ds falls into that category, I will probably switch to AAS for him.

I use SWR, which is a cousin to AAS. It cost me about $100 for everything I would need for K-12 reading and spelling for two kids. That is cheaper than AAS but very little more than SWO if you use it for the long haul.

I use both. Two of my three kids are natural spellers, one used SWO from level A all the way to the end and did well. The other one just finished level B and will start C next year.

The other kid is not a natural speller, and for him SWO was a disaster. He switched to AAS and has made great improvements.

So I'd say it depends on the child ;)

So I'd say it depends on the child ;)

My experience backs this up as well. My oldest did fine with and loved SWO. She is a natural speller and probably would have gone bonkers with AAS--she simply didn't need all of the rules and repetition.

My middle however, does. He has done well with AAS. My youngest could probably go either way, but I am using AAS with him because I have it. It's a very complete program.

SWO is for the kid who likes workbooks and could probably figure out spelling regardless of the program used. AAS is for the kid who needs rules, hand-holding, and tiny baby steps. SWO is a lot cheaper, so if your child is young and you are in doubt as to which program is right for him/her, start with SWO and if it works stick with it. If it is a disaster, try AAS or something else. Sometimes you just have to give something a whirl before you know what will work--one of the beauties of homeschooling.:001_smile:

We use both with my dd8. She loves AAS too much to not do it, she thinks it is "fun" and doesn't feel like school. We are still doing SWO, she is currently in C but we don't do them on the same day. Right now, since are ahead in SWO, we put it on hold until we finish AAS 2. For me, I like the thoroughness of AAS but enjoy that I don't have to be involved as much on SWO days!

Thanks for all the input. I kind of wanted Spelling workout b/c I know it wouldn't involve me as much as AAS. This year I'll have a 1st grader, prek, toddler and a newborn in Sep. So I am trying to make it easier on myself. But I would rather him learn all the rules of spelling and everything with AAS. Ugh. Why does choosing curriculum have to be so hard????

Thanks for all the input. I kind of wanted Spelling workout b/c I know it wouldn't involve me as much as AAS. This year I'll have a 1st grader, prek, toddler and a newborn in Sep. So I am trying to make it easier on myself. But I would rather him learn all the rules of spelling and everything with AAS. Ugh. Why does choosing curriculum have to be so hard????

Two things--first of all, if he's a strong reader and relatively independent, SWO may be just fine for him. It does have rules, they just aren't as tedious or as reinforced as the AAS rules.

Second, if you do decide to go with AAS, know that while it is teacher-intensive, it is not long. 15 minutes a day for a spelling lesson is plenty.

Try not to get overwhelmed--you'll figure it out!

Spelling workout is useless for a child that doesn't know how to spell. The whole point of spelling is to teach them how to spell. All About Spelling does that. I will never turn away from all about spelling now.

Spelling workout and any other word list is like sitting down and copying something in Hebrew. You can do it with the words right in front of you, but you won't remember later on. Go with All About Spelling. You won't regret it.

AAS doesn't take much time. We usually do 15 minutes 2-3 times a week. For my oldest, we did it at naptime. The trick was keeping the littles from getting into the tiles. I put them on the fridge just out of everyone's reach. And this location was convenient, because I'd usually be making myself a cup of coffee during the lesson...

• 2 months later...
I have both AAS and SWO for my 1st grader. Initially I got AAS because of the good reviews and because she hated to write. She still doesn't love writing, but SWO is not torture for her. She was making progress with AAS but was driving me crazy because I'd call out a word, she'd hem and haw and roll around on the floor :) you know, and finally spell the word, correctly or incorrectly, and then we could move on. It was very frustrating for both of us. With SWO, I can hand it over and she does it without much fuss, and so far seems to retain. I do want her to learn rules. She's a very strong reader, so that aspect is not a problem for her. She seems to like the variety of activities with SWO, all the different little activities to use the words. Any feedback on my thoughts? I haven't given up on either one yet, unsure as to what to do.

My oldest did SWO, all the way through book F or G or something like that. She liked it, she learned from it, we used it. She's 16 now and a great speller. She would have hated AAS. If SWO is working, keep at it and forget about AAS, which is a great program but not needed by every kid (in my experience).

I have used in the past...Spelling Workout -boring and too much writing, Public school spelling program lists, Sequential Spelling, Wise Guide to Spelling with Spell to Write and read, Phonics Pathways, Spelling City, Spelling Power....need I say more????

AAS is the way! I wish it existed for my now 18yrs old son, and my 15 and 14yrs old daughters. Where has it been all these years? It is visual, it kinesthetic, it is oral, it is auditory....What more can you ask? I have had to switch all my kids over to this program eventually.

I am so so happy that it is here for my 10yrs old twins, 8yrs old daughter and in the future for my 3 yrs old and newborn kids!!!

AAS, because the student never sees an incorrectly spelled word. This is more consistent with the classical approach of copywork -- imitating a perfect model.

Learning correct spelling in AAS is unlike Spelling Werkowt, in witch the stoodint must correckt miss-spelld werds. :tongue_smilie:

http://www.christianbook.com/spelling-workout-level-c-student-edition/9780765224828/pd/224828?event=CF

Click on the sample and go on until you come to the horrible, appalling section called "Proofreading."

• The hummingbird is the berd with the smallest eeg.
  • a duck has feet shaped like paddles so it can swim in the watter.
  • Penguins canot fly, but they can swim faste.
  • An eagle lives in the african rain forrest.

THIS IS A WRONG-HEADED APPROACH TO SPELLING! I used to tutor students messed up by this approach. They only end up learning mannie, menny, many ways to go rong. Grrrr......

AAS is superior in every way. :party:

We did SWO and my daughter retained nothing. If she was a natural speller, I think it would have been totally fine.

We just started using AAS and it is SO MUCH BETTER now. My new 1st grader has asked to change our schedule so she can start her school day with Spelling because it's her favorite thing to do. Way different from my first experiences with teaching 1st grade spelling. No more tears, hurray!