Menu

Creating an email account for a teenager...what are your suggestions?

We have decided to let dd14 have her own email acct. We would of course have full access. I am not impressed with all the ads that come up on Yahoo, but was wondering what you have chosen for your dc and why? Gmail? Hotmail? Something else? Thanks for your thoughts.

Free email=ads. Our son (9 in June) has gmail and we have been happy because the ads are smaller and usually don't have any pictures. Also gmail allows you to block certain advertisers. Gmail also filters out spam emails (which can been more obnoxious than ads) better than yahoo or hotmail.

You can also add an email to your internet access account (many home accounts let you have 3-10 emails, most people just use 1 or 2.) Then you could view the email via Outlook, which renders it ad free except for spam which you can route to a spam folder.

I would assume that a 14 year old would be pretty savvy at figuring out when something shouldn't be opened but if it is their first email, educate them. No opening attachments from unknown places etc.

I have gmail and am very impressed with what the spam filter strains out. I don't have ads in my email window.

My 11 y.o. has an email address that's a sub-address of mine. I have her stuff go to a folder, so it's not in my inbox but we can see when she has a message.

My family uses gmail. I just asked dd14 if she gets much spam in her inbox but she said no. She sees her spam file has lots of messages but she never goes into it to even see what it's catching. If you're worried about inappropriate spam messages, you could tell your teen not to ever open that file and you could go in daily to empty it. My dd14 has only shared her email addy with a few friends and family. She knows not to enter it into any page online.

My ds15 only checks his email when I send him something specific and tell him to go check his inbox. No one but family has his email addy.

One suggestion -- have your child pick a name that will wear well with time. Think college applications and avoid hipchick@ or princetonwannabe@ [especially if she ends up applying to Harvard!].

Regards,

Kareni

<nodding> Yes, please. Some of the email addresses provided on employment applications are enough to make you cringe.