Menu

Cardio or cardio + weights for weight-loss

What says the Hive? I just started working out last week (1st time in 8 yrs), and joined WW this week. Honestly, I have about 80 lbs. to lose and need advice about my workout routine. I have Googled it and read many articles, but they all seem to contradict each other...

My question is: should I concentrate on cardio only (currently walking 3 mi/day, 5 days/wk - working up to 4 mi) until I am at a better BMI (currently 34, I believe), or should I add in weights now? Personally, I'd love to really concentrate on cardio until my BMI is at least 30, but am willing to do whatever it takes.

Thanks!

If you are interested only in the scale numbers, then skip the muscle training.

If you are interested in looking your best, being healthy, faster results, etc, then add it in asap.

Muscle burns fat. The more you have, the more you burn. However, depending on how much weight training you do, you may not really have 80 pounds to lose (and yet will seem smaller). For example, a woman of 156 pounds (5'6" tall) could be a size 10-12 or she could be a size 6. The difference would be the shape of that. Since muscle weighs more than fat, your scale may read "heavy," while your body screams a nice tiny number :)

Anyway, if you decide to do the weights, please take pictures and measurements. You'll be able to see obvious differences in those while the scale will move more slowly.

Everything that I have read says that muscle burns more calories. Muscle is the key. Muscle, muscle, muscle....

But, that's not really what I did. ;)

I started out in the obese category for BMI. I counted calories (using lots of WW ideas, like higher fiber foods will keep you fuller longer) and I walked. And walked and walked and walked. I walked hills. I walked fast on flat. I just needed to get exercise done every (most) days. I built up to a pretty good pace and mileage. If I was on the treadmill, I did a bit of light arm work with small weights. I was going 3-4 miles on most days, at a 3.8-4.4 mph pace, with some 6 mile long days.

I am down to the very top of the "average" bmi category and we joined a gym. I've added in weights as a serious part of my exercise component. With all of my walking, my legs are doing well and my arms/core started out weak. But, because my weight is down, I'm able to pick almost any class and do it without joint problems. Getting 50+ pounds off of my ankles and knees means that they don't give me problems. My back quit hurting, before I even started my core work. I've started working with a personal trainer, with a focus on upper body and core. Getting in Cardio AND weights AND yoga (which I love and am unwilling to give up and is good for the flexibility component) is time consuming. I don't do them all every day, but am trying to do the yoga on my "rest" days for active recovery. That method seems to work.

AND I am also finding it VERY, VERY, VERY hard to lose the last 10 pounds. The day after I do weights, my weight is likely to shoot up 2 pounds. I know it's normal. I know I'm adding muscle. I know cells retain water in recovery. I know it's good, long term. Weights are KEY to keeping the weight off. BUT.....it would have been very frustrating to me if it happened at the beginning of my weight loss. If you are doing WW....the focus IS on the scale. That's ok. It's one marker. Not the only, or even most important, but being realistic....It's a huge mental thing for most of us. My big goal was to get to normal BMI, also. But, losing inches and having the scale stay the same is still a HUGE mental block for me. People always throw a qualifier in...I know I've lost inches....BUT....... When you have 50+ pounds to lose, you have to look at any and everything that is going to work/prevent the long term goal.

So, if you have only a limited amount of exercise time.... I would walk. Do a few general toning exercises to strengthen weak muscles. Arms are good, and easy, to balance out the leg muscles you build with walking. I think it's always good to strengthen the core muscles and to work weak muscles to prevent injury. And really watch the diet. But, I wouldn't focus on weights, yet.

There's my non-traditional advice and what worked for me. YMMV Hey, I made a pun....mileage.... tee-hee.:)

Edited by snickelfritz

You don't necessarily have to do weights for strength. From January to March I ran, and ran a lot. I did couch to 5K, and even managed to do a half! (not sure how that happened.) Last month, I laid off the running some, more than I would like, but started going to the pool for deep water aerobics and aqua zumba. I think my body has changed more from that than the running alone. I LOVE it! The "downside" is that my numbers haven't been falling as rapidly, but the inches have. I need to start running again, to get the weightloss going again, but I feel fantastic, I'm in the smallest size I've seen since college, and can't believe the change I've made in my life. I highly recommend the couch to 5K program if you're looking for extra cardio.

You don't necessarily have to do weights for strength. From January to March I ran, and ran a lot. I did couch to 5K, and even managed to do a half! (not sure how that happened.) Last month, I laid off the running some, more than I would like, but started going to the pool for deep water aerobics and aqua zumba. I think my body has changed more from that than the running alone. I LOVE it! The "downside" is that my numbers haven't been falling as rapidly, but the inches have. I need to start running again, to get the weightloss going again, but I feel fantastic, I'm in the smallest size I've seen since college, and can't believe the change I've made in my life. I highly recommend the couch to 5K program if you're looking for extra cardio.

I am going to, tentatively, disagree with this. Actually, I strongly disagree, but it's ok to have different opinions.;)

When you have a lot of weight to lose (the OP said 80+), the force that running puts on those ankle and knee joints is tremendous. I tried couch to 5K at 3 different points in my weight loss, each time, it ended up stopping my exercise completely for several weeks due to joint pain. I mentioned this to my personal trainer and she said it is a HUGE problem with the mindset of the program. That anyone can run and that all you need to do is run/walk and you can work up your mileage. Her opinion is that you NEED to be doing cross-training and weights to build up all the ligaments/joints/etc... to prevent injury.

Now, I am (crazily, maybe) considering doing the couch to 5K progam again. I think the idea of slow progression is spot-on. But, I am going to be doing lots of cross-training and weights and STILL take the running progression very slowly.

I am going to, tentatively, disagree with this. Actually, I strongly disagree, but it's ok to have different opinions.;)

When you have a lot of weight to lose (the OP said 80+), the force that running puts on those ankle and knee joints is tremendous. I tried couch to 5K at 3 different points in my weight loss, each time, it ended up stopping my exercise completely for several weeks due to joint pain. I mentioned this to my personal trainer and she said it is a HUGE problem with the mindset of the program. That anyone can run and that all you need to do is run/walk and you can work up your mileage. Her opinion is that you NEED to be doing cross-training and weights to build up all the ligaments/joints/etc... to prevent injury.

Now, I am (crazily, maybe) considering doing the couch to 5K progam again. I think the idea of slow progression is spot-on. But, I am going to be doing lots of cross-training and weights and STILL take the running progression very slowly.

I understand this too. I tried the program last year and had to stop due to foot pain. This year, I bought a new pair of shoes, a different kind of shoe, and have had NO pain at all. I know that has made a HUGE difference for me. (probably should have mentioned that before.) I too have a lot to lose. I've currently dropped 25 and could probably do with another 30-40, so I was up there too. The other thing that our "coach" stressed was that running didn't need to be sprinting. It was YOUR "running" speed. I'm not fast by any means, but I am running now and couldn't be more surprised with myself. I'm running more now than when I played soccer in high school!:tongue_smilie: (I had incredible foot pain then too.)

Good luck! I hope you can get through it pain free, and enjoy the running.

Weights+cardio! Adding muscle mass helps you burn more calories all day long. So if you do strength training, you will burn more calories when you do your cardio AND when you are just doing your daily stuff.

Now . . . I should DO some exercise!

What says the Hive? I just started working out last week (1st time in 8 yrs), and joined WW this week. Honestly, I have about 80 lbs. to lose and need advice about my workout routine. I have Googled it and read many articles, but they all seem to contradict each other...

My question is: should I concentrate on cardio only (currently walking 3 mi/day, 5 days/wk - working up to 4 mi) until I am at a better BMI (currently 34, I believe), or should I add in weights now? Personally, I'd love to really concentrate on cardio until my BMI is at least 30, but am willing to do whatever it takes.

Thanks!

Here's the thing - weight loss is 80% what you EAT and only 20% of the exercise/activity you do. Many people actually find they gain weight or maintain weight when they start working out b/c they get hungrier and don't account for the extra calories they're eating (this is also why you see marathon runners who are doing 40-60 miles per week yet are overweight).

I believe that weight training/resistance training (doesn't have to use weights, can use your own body as resistance like in pilates or yoga) is important for muscle strength and bone health and some toning. But neither cardo or weight training is the main piece of the puzzle when it comes to weight loss - it's more of a minor player :).

http://www.marksdailyapple.com has more info on this sort of thing. I will say that I know a lot of people who get GREAT results from doing CrossFit style workouts b/c the variety and short duration does a lot in a small amount of time.

TY all so much! When I worked out before I really enjoyed free weights, so I will make time to do that as well if that is what it takes. I was never overweight / out of shape until after I had children and I want that feeling back. I don't know what hit me last week and inspired me to jump on the exercise/healthy eating bandwagon, but this time I know that it is for real. I am going to do this!

I am definitely interested in being as healthy and fit as possible. Numbers on the scale never meant a thing to me when I used to work out. Only my body fat percentage. However, until I at least get into the high end of normal for me (which is about -60 lbs - yikes), I will probably focus heavily on what I weigh.

Last week I tried two Boot Camp classes and really, really hurt my quads. Four days later I was still going up and down stairs two feet on each step! I am simply not ready for that level of exercise right now, and am just going to walk on the treadmill for now. I am walking 3 miles in 50 minutes and would like to get to 4 in 60 minutes in the next two weeks. I hope that once I lose about 25 lbs. I will give the Boot Camp class a go again - it was really fun! I would also love to do a Couch to 5K, but will need to wait a bit for that as well.

Thanks again for the help & responses!

What I would recommend in your situation is an exercise routine designed to maximize results while minimizing the risk of injury. Something like Slow Burn, for example, twice a week, with some walking on other days.

At the risk of giving some unpopular advice, I would advocate NOT running or doing anything else high-impact until you have strengthened your muscles/ligaments/tendons enough to protect your joints, and lost some of the weight. Slow Burn is a great way to do the former, but your diet will be the main cause of the latter. (And personally, I recommend carb counting rather than calorie counting, though I realize you didn't ask about that so I'll shut up now :D )

What I would recommend in your situation is an exercise routine designed to maximize results while minimizing the risk of injury....(And personally, I recommend carb counting rather than calorie counting, though I realize you didn't ask about that so I'll shut up now :D )

Thanks! I am with you on holding off on the high-impact stuff! After the Boot Camp class, I realized quickly that I am not 25 any more! I also agree with you on the carb counting. Fortunately WW now puts an emphasis on fiber and protein. Like for breakfast almost each morning I sauté green pepper and red onion in a little olive oil. I then add in 1-2 eggs and 1 oz. feta cheese. Sooooo delicious, and keeps me full until lunch. Lunch is usually a spinach salad with garbanzo beans and tuna. And dinner is usually a protein, veggie, and 1/2 of the starch I used to eat. So far it seems to be working, as I have lost 7 lbs!!!

And speaking of food, it's dinner time and I am off to make whole wheat crust mini-pizzas!

When I needed to start losing 60 lbs late last summer, I concentrated on diet and walkies, plus wii exercises, to simply loose weight and get started. I lost about 7 lbs per month for four months - then added in strength training. Now I have only 12 lbs left to go - but am giving myself plenty of time to do so, as I KNOW muscle weighs more than fat. BUT - even as the scale has slowed down in showing numbers reducing, I am still reducing, as evident by the fact that I have had to buy smaller pants and shirts every couple months. :-) I have gone from needed to get a size 16 in my fav. jeans to being almost into a size 4.

Am using http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1336757588&sr=8-3

and am starting level 4 on Monday. I do it at home, with stuff bought either from the local used sporting goods store or with my points from my Amazon card (and free Prime shipping!).

I wish to point out that the above book has great info on how to eat to lose fat and grow muscle, etc. and how it will NOT make a woman look all muscular to do so, etc. It has to do with upping your protein and NOT letting yourself feel hungry more than typical "diet" eating (or not eating ;-)

The same authors have a book for older middle-aged folks to use, too, now - I am reading it from the library to see if I wish to switch to the old-folks program (nah!)

Edited by JFSinIL

Thanks!

I say more intensity in whatever you are doing. If you do weights, you are going to get heavy, dense so if you start, don't freak at the scale. Purely cardiovascular training can make you a smaller size of whatever you are and you ARE using and building muscle with cardio training. Down the road, you might want to change the shape of your body and you will need weights for that.

If you have 80lbs to lose .... you are gonna change your tactics and nutrition over time anyway. There will be a point where you will doing mostly cardio, then perhaps, you will add in some weights, maybe you will change to more weights and less cardio, and along the way you will switch up your nutrition.

So whatever you decided, stick it out for several to many weeks. I did a weight routine and I didn't see any happy results until 11-12 weeks into the program. YMMV

Here's the thing - weight loss is 80% what you EAT and only 20% of the exercise/activity you do. Many people actually find they gain weight or maintain weight when they start working out b/c they get hungrier and don't account for the extra calories they're eating (this is also why you see marathon runners who are doing 40-60 miles per week yet are overweight).

I believe that weight training/resistance training (doesn't have to use weights, can use your own body as resistance like in pilates or yoga) is important for muscle strength and bone health and some toning. But neither cardo or weight training is the main piece of the puzzle when it comes to weight loss - it's more of a minor player :).

www.marksdailyapple.com has more info on this sort of thing. I will say that I know a lot of people who get GREAT results from doing CrossFit style workouts b/c the variety and short duration does a lot in a small amount of time.

I agree with this. I'm currently losing weight pretty successfully without additional exercise. I do carry 60lbs of toddler around the house and chase 3 little kids around, plus we walk most places, so I get exercise, but no more than I have for the past year or so. I've tried exercise only for weight loss and it didn't work at all - I just ate more. I do think there are a million good reasons to exercise, but if you're trying to lose weight, I'd look to diet first.

Don't put off weight training. It will change your body and your life. It is one of the most wonderful things I ever did for myself. I've been at it for about 7 months now and I am almost daily amazed at the shape of my body, my energy, and my ability to just perform daily tasks. Plus it makes my bones stronger, helps with balance and will keep me from being so prone to falls and fractures as I get older.

Go for it. You will NOT regret it.:grouphug:

Thanks! I am with you on holding off on the high-impact stuff! After the Boot Camp class, I realized quickly that I am not 25 any more! I also agree with you on the carb counting. Fortunately WW now puts an emphasis on fiber and protein. Like for breakfast almost each morning I sauté green pepper and red onion in a little olive oil. I then add in 1-2 eggs and 1 oz. feta cheese. Sooooo delicious, and keeps me full until lunch. Lunch is usually a spinach salad with garbanzo beans and tuna. And dinner is usually a protein, veggie, and 1/2 of the starch I used to eat. So far it seems to be working, as I have lost 7 lbs!!!

Oh, that's great, I didn't realize that WW encourages protein and limits the carbs. Very cool! Congratulations on your success so far! That is fantastic! :001_smile:

Cardio plus weights has worked for me! I started way overweight and am down 50lbs in 8 months. I still have about 40lbs to go. I am so pleased with the pounds falling off and all the strength I have!

Again, ty for all of the advice!

Just to be clear (or as much as I think I understand), I don't believe that WW is actually pushing "low carb". But they do emphasize higher fiber foods. Fruits and veggies are "free", and the more processed an item is, the more Points it seems to have. I think WW is encouraging healthier eating over simply trying to get in the most food possible within one's Points allowance.

Am using http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1336757588&sr=8-3

I wish to point out that the above book has great info on how to eat to lose fat and grow muscle, etc. and how it will NOT make a woman look all muscular to do so, etc. It has to do with upping your protein and NOT letting yourself feel hungry more than typical "diet" eating (or not eating ;-)

I bought this book last night. Their calorie suggestions seem really high. I know they say that they will seem high, compared to typical dieting. But it has me starting out close to 2000 calories?!?!?!

Did you find that eating that many calories worked for you?

The rule of thumb is that you need a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a lb. That takes into account your daily activity level so, the more active you are, the higher the intake is, even creating a deficit. (The deficit would be spread out over a week, so if you're eating a 2500 calorie diet normally, 2000 would be about right)

As far as cardio or weights, my answer is always "yes". They both do different things: cardio burns more calories while you're working out, resistance training keeps your metabolism higher longer after a workout.

You also want to switch it up all the time. Muscles catch on and get efficient at doing one thing pretty quickly, so your progress will fall off too, if you're doing the same cardio and same resistance training all the time. Bodybuilding.com has some good goal-defined workouts that switch things up on you, using different exercises to work the same muscles, lifting heavy (low reps) one day a week, light (high reps) others, etc.

On bootcamp (and other classes) (and all things fitness, really): Fitness is a moving target. You should never have a workout that you can complete all the activities, reps, etc. If you can, it's time to up the ante (more weight, more reps, more complex moves).

You should feel it afterward. Sore muscles that loosen up when you work out again is appropriate, screaming pain is not. (warning: do not do heavy squats and deadlifts the same day, or you may find yourself pondering the need for an emergency cord in the bathroom at work because you have found yourself a bit stuck on the toilet. Ask me how I know. :D) I teach strength training 3-4 times a week, but when I take somebody else's class, I feel it. One of my colleagues who has taught aerobics for 30 years says the same thing. You just feel it when you ask a muscle to do something new. I regularly squat more than my body weight - 200lb cage squat is my limit without a belt - but I subbed step and cardio fusion (dance, step, cardio kickbox) this week, and my quads are ANGRY. It's certainly not because they're unprepared for work. They just did work in a different way than they're accustomed.

So, keep taking classes. Ask for modifications if the level of an exercise is too much for you (eg, knee push-ups instead of standard). Any instructor should be able to give you multiple levels of any move. You don't have to complete every rep, either. And check yourself. Bootcamp is one of those classes where it's easy to get caught up in the rush of the class and overwork yourself.

Finally, you may want to take complete measurements - weight, circumference of waist, hips, biceps, thighs, calves, fat caliper measurements, etc - so you can see positive changes in multiple areas when one flat-lines on you. Because it will. And it's frustrating. But when your weight hasn't changed, it is very gratifying to see that your other measurements have. ;)