Menu

Politics Here

I happen to agree with Halcyon on the political issue of the day but honestly folks, all this political discussion is going to do is get the board shut down temporarily and/or threads locked and/or moderators angry.

We need to either take stuff to FB or private groups or whatever but it's a loooooooooong road to November and beyond.

So celebrate your victories and bemoan your defeats but not here. Here is just going to make trouble.

And honestly? No one is going to change their minds here. We're homeschoolers. We know what we're doing! None of the conservatives are going to wake up one day from reading the liberals here and think, "Hey! I'm pagan now! Woohoo gay rights!" And the same is true for the other side. I'm never going to wake up and think the bible is the truth or the way of light or whatever Xtians are calling it now. :lol::lol::lol:

So let's share about our crazy neighbors or rabid dogs or whatever.

I happen to agree with Halcyon on the political issue of the day but honestly folks, all this political discussion is going to do is get the board shut down temporarily and/or threads locked and/or moderators angry.

We need to either take stuff to FB or private groups or whatever but it's a loooooooooong road to November and beyond.

So celebrate your victories and bemoan your defeats but not here. Here is just going to make trouble.

And honestly? No one is going to change their minds here. We're homeschoolers. We know what we're doing! None of the conservatives are going to wake up one day from reading the liberals here and think, "Hey! I'm pagan now! Woohoo gay rights!" And the same is true for the other side. I'm never going to wake up and think the bible is the truth or the way of light or whatever Xtians are calling it now. :lol::lol::lol:

So let's share about our crazy neighbors or rabid dogs or whatever.

:iagree: with all of the above. I tried to talk about something else. There was a snake that I almost picked up while I was weeding, but that just wasn't interesting enough. :lol:

:iagree: with all of the above. I tried to talk about something else. There was a snake that I almost picked up while I was weeding, but that just wasn't interesting enough. :lol:

I did that yesterday too! I thought it was just a big earthworm but it was a baby garter snake. Was yours big?

:iagree:

Although, there are several issues that are considered political footballs that my opinion has been shaped and changed because my thinking was challenged on a message board. Hopefully once the other thread is deleted we can all get back to normal for the remainder of the election season! :001_smile:

No, that snake was pretty . . . interesting. Makes me very thankful I don't live around anything bigger than a Garter Snake. If I had seen that I wouldn't weed my garden again, ever.:001_huh:

:iagree:

And honestly? No one is going to change their minds here.

This, I'm not so sure about. I have definitely changed my thinking about a number of issues because of discussions on this board. I don't think I've done a 180 on anything, but there have certainly been conversations that have really challenged my ideas. I love that about this board.

However, when there is name-calling and hostility, it's hard to have any good discussion.

I did that yesterday too! I thought it was just a big earthworm but it was a baby garter snake. Was yours big?

YES!! I don't know how to upload a big picture, but it's in a thumbnail here. Looks better on Facebook. I was just happily singing along, pulling trumpet vines off my house in the cool evening when I saw him!!! :svengo:

Of course a five inch snake would seem like an Anaconda to me. :lol:

Well, I something out of it; my ignore button was rusty. It is all freshened up now. And if you pm to ask if I am ignoring you and you don't get an answer? The answer is yes. You cannot send someone a PM if you are on their ignore list; they won't receive it.

FWIW, my mind on several key issues has changed in the years I have been here:

gay marriage

feminism

"entitlement programs and the people on them"

universal healthcare

the evils of public school

the evils of any school

gaming

Christianity

FWIW, my mind on several key issues has changed in the years I have been here:

gay marriage

feminism

"entitlement programs and the people on them"

universal healthcare

the evils of public school

the evils of any school

gaming

Christianity

So people posting here changed your mind on all these issues?

I know I'm set in my ways pretty firmly but this is the internet. I think my mind is changed much more by IRL discussions than anything I've ever read here.

It's probable actually that reading some of the posts by Xtians here has made me even more entrenched in atheism. So no mind change, but a deeper belief in well... nothing. :)

YES!! I don't know how to upload a big picture, but it's in a thumbnail here. Looks better on Facebook. I was just happily singing along, pulling trumpet vines off my house in the cool evening when I saw him!!! :svengo:

Of course a five inch snake would seem like an Anaconda to me. :lol:

This is why I do not garden. Except that for me, it's spiders. :eek:

I saw a HUGE snake crawl out of our flower bed just after DH put down mulch. It crawled across our lawn as smooth as you please. I stood at the window, saying over and over, "Look at the snake! You were just there! That snake is HUGE!" DH did not appreciate my comments. He took care of it.

So people posting here changed your mind on all these issues?

I know I'm set in my ways pretty firmly but this is the internet. I think my mind is changed much more by IRL discussions than anything I've ever read here.

It's probable actually that reading some of the posts by Xtians here has made me even more entrenched in atheism.

Not exclusively, no. For most of that list, real life experience changed my perspective. When I found myself in a life situation that challenged previous opinions, I revised.

The thought process behind those revisions was, in part, influenced by some thinkers here.

Not exclusively, no. For most of that list, real life experience changed my perspective. When I found myself in a life situation that challenged previous opinions, I revised.

The thought process behind those revisions was, in part, influenced by some thinkers here.

But that's my point. It was more "real life" that you can attribute to mind changes than postings here. Postings here aren't the game changer - LIFE is.

Political postings here are simply trouble. Even if I vehemently AGREE and want to be on record agreeing, it's still trouble.

People used to think it was ok to enslave Africans, to kill gay people, to burn 'witches', to stone 'whores', to behead women for being raped (we're still a little behind there). These atrocities are no longer accepted by the gerneral population of the US, or other nations.

Is that because moral people said nothing?

Like it or not, those who oppose gay marraige, or think being gay is a 'choice', will have to take a back seat. You'll live. Just as you lived when Clinton was president, and when your grandparents lived when they learned that water fountains had to be shared. Think about South Africa. In my lifetime, a friend of mine (white ) but with curly hair, was pushed to the back of the train. That was barely more than 20 years ago. Today, he can sit wherever he likes. Tomorrow, a gay couple will be sitting by you at soccer practice, handing their kid organic carrot sticks in the same way you hand your kid filtered water. You'll deal.

Edited by LibraryLover

I'd like to think that I have become more gracious about differing beliefs, styles of homeschooling [or not], and parenting. Heck, I have changed a few things I do because of things I have learned here from people who are so very different from me.

I very much disagree that people are not changed by discussion, or even easy banter, of important issues.

My mind is always processing new info, and I am costantly re-thinking and clarifying.

I agree, but it cannot be done here without me wanting to kick someone. There are too many people who don't know the line between debating and being an a$$clown. So, I best stay out of it.:tongue_smilie:

Edited to fix the typos, accursed tiny phone keyboard.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

But that's my point. It was more "real life" that you can attribute to mind changes than postings here. Postings here aren't the game changer - LIFE is.

Political postings here are simply trouble. Even if I vehemently AGREE and want to be on record agreeing, it's still trouble.

Ok. I disagree with you, but ok.

I think that intelligent discourse is necessary and productive.

I agree, but it cannot be done here without me wanting to kick someone. There are too many people who don't knos the line between debatin and being an a$$clown. So, I best stay out of it.:tongue_smilie:

I learned a new word tonight.... a$$clown. :D

I agree, but it cannot be done here without me wanting to kick someone. There are too many people who don't knos the line between debatin and being an a$$clown. So, I best stay out of it.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: And I do think that civil discourse is dying in our country and I think that's terrible. Right here on this board tonight someone either called someone retarded or intimated retardation or mental slowness or whatever. This is why we cannot debate politics here. You would think a group of mostly classical educating mothers could have a reasoned discussion of how our country is run but we simply can't.

Meh. Move on and talk about snakes and MILs and crazy dinner companions and give the moderators a rest. I know it's hard. I couldn't resist either but meh. :lol:

Okay, I have a stupid question, and really it is only because I'm still a newbie on this board - but what is a kilt?? what does it mean to bring out the kilts? I think that I understand it in general terms, but I was hoping someone could explain it to me more specifically.

FWIW - we had a garter snake in our yard and it was.... pretty.

Okay, I have a stupid question, and really it is only because I'm still a newbie on this board - but what is a kilt?? what does it mean to bring out the kilts? I think that I understand it in general terms, but I was hoping someone could explain it to me more specifically.

On most Internet boards when things get very contentious to the point of the absurd, the forumites rebel and start post LOLCats or pictures of Beeker or cupcakes in order to declare the topic dead and the beginning of a wild rumpus of silliness. On this board that signal is handsome men wearing kilts.

I agree, but it cannot be done here without me wanting to kick someone. There are too many people who don't know the line between debating and being an a$$clown. So, I best stay out of it.:tongue_smilie:

Edited to fix the typos, accursed tiny phone keyboard.

:) I hear that.

I do believe each and every discussion matters. One does not know what might touch someone for the better.

Ok. I disagree with you, but ok.

I think that intelligent discourse is necessary and productive.

Actually, I don't think we do disagree. I agree that intelligent discourse is necessary and productive too.

But I do think in order to have that, you have to be well... intelligent. And as "not nice" as it is to say it or think it, I've seen posters here who I am firmly convinced are NOT intelligent. So that's a strike against intelligent discourse.

And it is very hard to have discourse as human beings in a format without tone, eye contact, and body language. It is hard to have empathy with emoticons and e-ink. It just is. That's why it's so much easier to say, "F U!" to a FB page than a little old lady holding a sign.

But I do think in order to have that, you have to be well... intelligent. And as "not nice" as it is to say it or think it, I've seen posters here who I am firmly convinced are NOT intelligent. So that's a strike against intelligent discourse.

QUOTE]

But deciding what one thinks is ignorance or intelligence is an important part of the discussion.

Further, does anyone think one party/one side is *always* right? I know I don't. Politicians are human, and humans are flawed. Who doesn't get that?

While I agree some discussions can go down hill, I do not believe that all political discussions here are without merit. In no way do I believe that. I have often left the boards seriously pondering. I don't think I am the only one, either.

Edited by LibraryLover

On most Internet boards when things get very contentious to the point of the absurd, the forumites rebel and start post LOLCats or pictures of Beeker or cupcakes in order to declare the topic dead and the beginning of a wild rumpus of silliness. On this board that signal is handsome men wearing kilts.

Oooooooohhhhhhhhh. Not what I thought AT ALL. Thank you.

Well, let's hope everyone retains their sense of humour.

QUOTE]

But deciding what one thinks is ignorance or intelligence is an important part of the discussion.

Further, does anyone think one party/one side is *always* right? I know I don't. Politicians are human, and humans are flawed. Who doesn't get that?

While I agree some discussions can go down hill, I do not believe that all political discussions here are without merit. In no way do I believe that. I have often left the boards seriously pondering. I don't think I am the only one, either.

The problem is, for every one discussion that may leave people wondering and pondering... there are 40 discussions throwing around words like, "retard."

I don't think the moderators decided to ban political discussions because they have anything against intelligent discourse. They banned political discussions because well, we slip up and call each other retards.

The problem is, for every one discussion that may leave people wondering and pondering... there are 40 discussions throwing around words like, "retard."

I don't think the moderators decided to ban political discussions because they have anything against intelligent discourse. They banned political discussions because well, we slip up and call each other retards.

:iagree: They get very inappropriate fast.

And, as I said, it's good to know who those folks are. It's good to know who deserves respect and who does not. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

None of the conservatives are going to wake up one day from reading the liberals here and think, "Hey! I'm pagan now! Woohoo gay rights!" And the same is true for the other side. I'm never going to wake up and think the bible is the truth or the way of light or whatever Xtians are calling it now.

And none of us liberal Christians are going to wake up and think, "Hey! I am a pagan now. I think I'll be more politically conservative" ;)

Which really kind of ruins the impression of us all as straight-laced conservatives (not in the political sense). :lol::lol::lol:

:iagree: this is why we can't have nice things.

And, as I said, it's good to know who those folks are. It's good to know who deserves respect and who does not.

This is one of the reasons I wish they would not delete so many of the locked threads. It is hard to tell if someone is having a bad day or is habitually rude if all the evidence of past behavior is erased.

TBH I am glad that political subjects are not allowed to take over the discourse as my primary reason for coming to this board is education related. I think there are many threads that are political in nature and left alone by the mods because they are either respectful, relevant to homeschooling, or not blatantly partisan in nature, and these are good. I cannot imagine how tiring it would get every political season if threads like the other were the norm.

Nice things don't matter to me as much as truth does. Seriously. I would rather know if a snake is sitting on my comfortable sofa.

Out them all.

But the problem is, even though I totally agree with you on most things political (because I think I do!) the "other side" is thinking and saying the same thing about us. And when you have two sides who HATE each other screaming at each other over an internet message board... well, intelligent discourse dies there too.