Menu

Recall on some major brands of pet food (salmonella)

Thank you! Ours is a recalled bag! My DH is running down to buy new food for our new adopted kitty!

Yikes! Glad posting it has helped. (Hope your kitty doesn't/didn't get sick if it had some of the recalled food & that none of you are affected from handling it.)

Enjoy your new furry family addition. :001_smile:

Yikes! Glad posting it has helped. (Hope your kitty doesn't/didn't get sick if it had some of the recalled food & that none of you are affected from handling it.)

Enjoy your new furry family addition. :001_smile:

No one is showing symptoms. I'm a bit worried about my 20 month old who likes to put the food in the water bowl. I always wash his hands while telling him not to do it. He's so little and its new having fun dishes where he can reach! I might call the Pediatrician in the morning just to be safe.

We love our new kitty! He isn't showing any signs of illness. Very playful today.

We aren't returning ours, even though it is on the list. We even got a call from Costco about it, but they also said that it is a voluntary recall and that NONE of their bags tested positive. It isn't worth it to us. We are just using a scoop with a handle so that we don't touch it, and washing our hands afterwards, but ours probably is fine.

Dawn

Ours was on the list. We actually did have a problem with our food. My poor dog had diarrhea and we couldn't figure out why. It was awful. By chance I remembered that we just had bought a new bag of food (same brand, just a new bag). We called the company and they said there was nothing wrong with the food (this was at the end of April). We took her to the vet and he had us not feed her for 24 hours and then feed her boiled chicken for a few days and when she seemed normal again start slowly introducing her dog food again. We did and she was fine until we introduced the food. So we switched food completely to a different brand and she was fine. Then on Saturday we saw the recall and for some reason we never threw the bag out so we checked the numbers and it is on the list. We aren't very happy!

How do you make your own? I'd love to know.

We fed our dog dry food for only a few weeks before we suspected allergy issues. Her ears were really stinky and she was scratching herself- a lot! So we put her on a very basic diet to rule out allergies. Her food consists of ground turkey, potatoes, and green beans. I add in ground egg shells (farm fresh:)) for a calcium supplement, and some salmon oil that I order online. She is a 45 lb. dog and I make the food in bulk. I make one large bag of potatoes, about 6 bags of green beans, and 12 lbs. of ground turkey. This lasts her about a month. Now that she is doing alright with that we are slowly reintroducing other meats and vegetables- I think we will steer clear of grains for a while!

Edited by edeemarie

My dog also has stinky ears and is always scratching, so maybe this is worth a try. Could I do this with chicken? Turkey makes him vomit. How do you prepare and keep it?

We fed our dog dry food for only a few weeks before we suspected allergy issues. Her ears were really stinky and she was scratching herself- a lot! So we put her on a very basic diet to rule out allergies. Her food consists of ground turkey, potatoes, and green beans. I add in ground egg shells (farm fresh:)) for a calcium supplement, and some salmon oil that I order online. She is a 45 lb. dog and I make the food in bulk. I make one large bag of potatoes, about 6 bags of green beans, and 12 lbs. of ground turkey. This lasts her about a month. Now that she is doing alright with that we are slowly reintroducing other meats and vegetables- I think we will steer clear of grains for a while!

My dog also has stinky ears and is always scratching, so maybe this is worth a try. Could I do this with chicken? Turkey makes him vomit. How do you prepare and keep it?

You have to make sure the meal is balanced.

http://www.dogforums.com/dog-food-forum/15085-feeding-raw-where-start.html

One recipe I found for homemade (sub turkey):

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/2537558/2

for homemade/raw you would make it and portion it out for daily feedings and then freeze the extra.

You could definitely sub chicken, or really any other type of protein. I make the food in a very large stock pot. I boil the potatoes, remove from pan, cook the veggies while I peel and mash potatoes, remove veggies and add to potatoes, then I cook the meat. When the meat is cooked I mix it all together and add in ground up egg shell for calcium (i believe the ratio is 1 tsp. per pound of meat). I try to keep the ratio of 40% protein to 60% other (veggie/ starch/ grain mix). I freeze the food in old cottage cheese containers - otherwise it takes a long time to thaw out. Here is another website with recipes.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=homemade%20dog%20food%20recipe&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CJEBEBYwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dog-obedience-training-review.com%2Fhomemade-dog-food-recipes.html&ei=6uuwT4S2CLCI6AHA8PDGCQ&usg=AFQjCNH5orU-X6hF07zV1HeLDB06ev9qRg&sig2=FxB-1l7e1PtXSlBrnY8Lng

Here is another recipe for making dog food in bulk. I based what I make on this, but went really basic to rule out any allergies.

http://www.wisebread.com/homemade-dog-food-recipe-and-cost

I forgot to add, my mom thought our dog may have had a yeast overgrowth, so I also added in a few tablespoons of plain yogurt into her food. Not sure if it helped, but something worked - no more stinky ears:) Just be cautious with the yogurt and start with a small amount because some dogs don't handle dairy very well.

Edited by edeemarie