Menu

Has Anyone Been to the Creation Museum? What ages would most benefit? m..

Haven't been there but have read reviews - your 9 and 7 year olds would probably get the most out of it. The others would probably find it over their heads but the 6 year old might still enjoy it (just as s/he would enjoy any science museum that might be over her/his head but still like to look at things). The 3 and 1 year olds would probably just like having an outing. For me, it would depend on how expensive it was. It is really expensive I would wait until you could get your 'money's worth' (in terms of them understanding it).

My apologies Jennifer, I'm no evangelical or creationist as the vast majority here are. I'm Unitarian Universalist.

Still your post reminds me of a friend of a man at my other intenet forum went there, toured thw whole museum, took a ton of photos and posted snarky comments that I just found irresitably funny but are surely quite offensive to creationists and may be in bad taste.

Aside from the link Volty posted, unless you really are a VERY conservative, 7 day literal young earth (they only believe in 2,000 years IIRC) bible believing Christian, it will be way too much.

I'd almost recommend coming to the Holy Land theme park in Orlando over this. And even then, that's too much.

The museum, though very well done (former Disney Imagineers and movie techs), it is a bit over the top, even for the extreme conservative side. You really would be better off spending your money elsewhere, because with kids that age all they are going to see is "COOL DINOSAURS!!" and that's it. This place literally believes Adam and Eve not only lived with, but fed and cared for the worst of the dinosaurs(the link, snark aside, shows pictures of this), as well as the general population of the people raising and caring for dinosaurs (velociraptors at that!)...

Unless you believe like this, unless you truly believe in all of that, you and your kids will not enjoy it. Like I said, the kids will only see the dinosaurs and the younger ones likely could be scared by them (as they are very realistically done) and they'd miss whatever "message" you want them to get.

Spend your money on a good Science/History Museum instead and then treat them to a McD's lunch.

Of course I'm biased because the Creation Museum is my favorite man-made destination in the world! :D Kids under 5 are free. My only concern would be, are your girls o.k. with dinosaurs or would they be scared? The room with most of the dinosaurs opened after we were there for the ribbon-cutting ceremony but there are animatronic dinosaurs throughout the museum. The other thing is that they will be adding more interactive features for kids so you can consider if you want to wait for more of that to be completed. The gardens outside are fun too - there's lots of space to wander. I don't know where you'd be coming from, but Cincinnatti is not far from the museum and there are things to do there. :)

being only an hour away from it, many of our church folk have been, including very good friends of ours. Here's what I know. The older kids would be ok with the 6yo being hit or miss depending on attention span. It might be a long day with the littles. (The friends of ours have a 12, 7 and 6 yo). YOU may not get to see all you want to see and read with the kids along but the kids would enjoy it. My friends also say not to go on a weekend if you can help it. Being homeschoolers they've been both on weekdays and weekends and the weekend was packed. They all love it and have been numerous times already.

HTH

Angel

By the way, Toni were you talking from experience, as in already having visited or going off of something you've read or seen? Just curious

We have been and it is absolutely wonderful. Ds 12 and dd 7 both enjoyed it; ds would probably live there if we let him :D Dd 7 liked it, but we stayed a little bit too long for her. I wanted to read and soak and just learn all I could, but that made for a long day for her.

It was fabulous!

We made it a two day trip--one day there and another day at the Newport Aquarium.

We spent a long weekend up there (we are in Ga.)

My dc are 14,12,9,5,3, 22mos.

The older three really enjoyed it, the 5 and 3 y.o. were just happy to be on a trip and tent camping.

The 22 month old did his best to run away every chance he got because that's what he does no matter where we are.

The grounds are beautiful and dh and I took turns out there with the younger ones when they'd had enough of being inside.

There are some cool bridges, and the landscaping is gorgeous.

My older dc enjoyed taking their time looking at everything, watching the movies and of course shopping in the bookstore.

Since yours are on the younger side it might get frustrating.

To get the most out of it, you have to be able to read lots and lots of material. Personally I thought it was wonderful and I really enjoyed it. My non-reading 6 yr old thought it was boring...even the dinosaurs weren't enough to change his mind. (But he did like the Men in White show.) The grounds are astoundingly beautiful.

If and when you go, be sure to take in the planeterioum (sp???). That is a breath-taking display of the wonder and majesty of space.

By the way, Toni were you talking from experience, as in already having visited or going off of something you've read or seen? Just curious

Online, in the news, everywhere BUT there and I stand by what I said. If you are inclined to believe that way, of course you are going to enjoy it. I followed it's building when I still believed and I still thought it way over the top. And I do go to the website frequently enough to know that it is just way too much for anyone who isn't a believer (and I can't honestly say it would make someone a believer, it's that over the top) and if you are, well, of course you will like it.

I've also been to the Holy Land in Orlando and I stand by what I said with that as well. Which is why I asked her if she was the type of believer they are or if she's just a believer--there is a difference.

Ken Ham, aside from being a tax evader, is a literal 7 day young earth dinos walked with man creationist. If you don't believe like that, what you see (and what is shown in Volty's link) is entirely accurate. Not only do I refuse to patronize his business with his fraud charges, the fact remains that what's on Volty's link IS accurate, if a lot snarky. The photographs, the slide shows--it is accurate.

How do I know this having never been? I've got a very good friend, a bible believing Christian woman, who went and she took lots of photos. I compared them. I'm not some uneducated sod atheist who doesn't know what she's talking about. I may spout off the hip at times ;) but I'm not about this.

If nothing else, go to Volty's link for just the pictures. Ignore the comments. Then go to the site. Make your own judgement. The one thing I heard repeatedly was that the dinosaurs were the only "cool" thing there--and this was from Christians.

Treading gingerly here but it's Kent Hovind (not Ken Ham) who is the "creationist" who was indicted and I believe is serving time for tax evasion and other charges. I got the following quote from a religious news blog:

"In the indictment unsealed Thursday, a grand jury alleges that Kent Hovind failed to pay $473,818 in federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes on employees at his Creation Science Evangelism/Ministry between March 31, 2001, and Jan. 31, 2004." He is in no way associated with Answers in Genesis or the Creation Museum.

Treading gingerly here but it's Kent Hovind (not Ken Ham) who is the "creationist" who was indicted and I believe is serving time for tax evasion and other charges. I got the following quote from a religious news blog:

"In the indictment unsealed Thursday, a grand jury alleges that Kent Hovind failed to pay $473,818 in federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes on employees at his Creation Science Evangelism/Ministry between March 31, 2001, and Jan. 31, 2004." He is in no way associated with Answers in Genesis or the Creation Museum.

This will teach me to type right as I walk in the door from work. :) You are correct, it is Hovind and I apologize about that.

I am sorry for saying it was Ham. I retract that statement. Everything else stands though.

I respectfully disagree with most of the comments here as we went last year and my dc were at the time 3.5 and 4 and they absolutely "got it" and of course some things we could revisit and go into deeper as they grow older but they understood.

The museum is very well done and can be as hands-on or as hands-off as you want your experience to be and the dinosaurs weren't scary but then again my kids love dinosaurs. My kids enjoyed themselves and still remember their visit.

I think you need to decide as a family in terms of your beliefs and where you think this visit would fit into your belief system. The musuem workers are not pushy if you had concerns about being overly evangelized. It is not far from Cincy which has some other attractions. In the end, I think it is well worth a visit.

Thanks so much for the input, believers and otherwise. Obviously, I'm one of those weird 6-day creationists, or I wouldn't even consider going.

But six children (including 18-month twin girls) going 8 hours in a 12-passenger van (read gas-guzzler) for something that might not be very fun for them. Hmmm. Sometimes it sounds like fun, and sometimes it makes me nervous even thinking about it.

We may end up doing CityPass for Atlanta, instead.

I thought you didn't live close to the museum and was curious if you had visited it yourself. I meant nothing more by the statement than what it said, had you read/heard about it or visited. I certainly was NOT implying anything at all!

Angel

Angel--it's fine. :)

WhichJennifer--I don't think I ever implied that they or you were weird (and who am *I* to judge weird?) for believing that way, in fact, I did compliment the museum. I just tried to leave nothing out as I knew it because there are a LOT of people, some Christian, who did not know they believed that way and were just flabbergasted at the over the top-ness.

Again, I'm as weird as they come, so I can't just that. :) I just wanted to make sure you and anyone else who might ask, knew what you were up against. That is all.

Creation Museum is down the road from the Glen Rose dinosaur park (can't remember name). Although I've never been there, it's a small building and nothing in the vacinity(other than the dinosaur footprints at park) to warrant a vacation, IMHO. I'd find another location to visit.

They're talking about a different one ... In Kentucky, I think.

Glen Rose dinosaur park, however, is a fun destination :)

Gothic Gyrl, I know you weren't implying I was weird, but lots of people would say I was because of my beliefs. And I'm glad you posted. If I only wanted to hear good things about the museum, I would check their website for comments. I was looking for, if not nasty or snarky, at least honestly negative or neutral comments about the museum. Your saying that I would have to believe man and dinosaurs lived together does not change my mind about the museum, because I do believe that. Your saying that people come away and say "Cool dinosaurs" makes me think twice, because I would hear that after spending a lot of money getting my six kids to Cincinnati. We are now thinking of taking the kids to Fernbank in Atlanta, telling them that we believe the dates they give to be wrong, and maybe we'll even go all out and take them to Red Lobster rather than McDonald's on the way home. :)

Gothic Gyrl, I know you weren't implying I was weird, but lots of people would say I was because of my beliefs. And I'm glad you posted. If I only wanted to hear good things about the museum, I would check their website for comments. I was looking for, if not nasty or snarky, at least honestly negative or neutral comments about the museum. Your saying that I would have to believe man and dinosaurs lived together does not change my mind about the museum, because I do believe that. Your saying that people come away and say "Cool dinosaurs" makes me think twice, because I would hear that after spending a lot of money getting my six kids to Cincinnati. We are now thinking of taking the kids to Fernbank in Atlanta, telling them that we believe the dates they give to be wrong, and maybe we'll even go all out and take them to Red Lobster rather than McDonald's on the way home. :)

Have you ever been to the Holy Land Experience in Orlando? It's much like what I say about this place--people walk away with a sense of awe at the buildings, the actors, etc... and totally ignore the "point" of the place.

I don't have kids who are easily scared, so this wouldn't apply to me at all, but the one thing I do remember being spoken about the CM is that the dinosaurs were very realistic. Now, my 11DD would love this as she's a dino freak. But someone else's kid who might get scared easily.. no. Likewise, because my DD is such a dino freak, she'd miss everything else in favor of looking at the dinos.

Plus, I just revisited their website. Again, for me and my kids, this wouldn't be a problem. But for others it might--they have a "walk or wall of shame" that is basically a giant brick wall with very bright bold grafitti on it about gays being evil, this being bad, that being bad, etc. Whether you can avoid this, I'm not sure, but in looking at the pictures, it is very in your face (as in you can't ignore it being there).

And take me to Red Lobster, will ya? :)

Just a thought....Even if some of the museum is over the kid's head, every little thing reinforces what you are teaching them and they won't forget the experience.

When my 9 yodd were 7, I took them to the King Tut exhibit with 8 other families. One of my dd was bored to tears so badly that another mom who was also bored took her outside and played with her while the other one who was so taken with it that we were the last ones out, stayed inside for another 2 hours. While one still hates museums and the other loves them, they both have stored up info about Egypt. It helped them remember.

If you go, and it's a family vacation, you'll still have fun. It's hard to please everybody in a family your family's size. They'll be learning a lot more than creaton history.