Menu

Feeling shaky during *that* time of the month?

(Sorry if this is TMI) Ever since the birth of my youngest, my periods have been quite a bit heavier than ever before. For the first 2 days of each period, I soak through a super absorbency tampon in an hour and a half. I have to set my alarm clock for every 2 hours at night so I can get up and change it. I also feel shaky and tired. I do have an appt scheduled with my GYN, but of course it takes awhile to get in. :glare: So I'm curious: Is this an abnormally heavy period? Is there any reason to be concerned for anemia? Or does it just seem like a lot to me because I'm not used to it?

Not sure if that's normal, but I was the same way after #3 was born. That's when I bought a diva cup because I couldn't leave the house without soaking through both a super tampon and a super pad.

As to the shaky feeling, I get that every month and it's been 4.5 years since I last had a child. I've had my iron levels checked every year and they've always come back above 12, so for me it's due to something else.

All kinds of problems and diseases are made worse by hormonal cycles. So while it could be anemia, it could be something else too. I don't know how old you are or if you are done having kids. I do know that many women get heavier periods in peri-menopause and for me, Novasure was a huge relief. ( I had a very serious medical concern about too heavy periods due to my having to be on coumadin).

For me, when my periods get that heavy, it's low progesterone. I usually end up getting anemic even though my iron levels show up normal. My iron STORES - or ferritin- drop dramatically! I use some progesterone the second half of my cycle and it's a lot better now.

Sounds quite heavy to me. I have issues with this too. I would definitely get your iron levels tested. I just had mine done and they were scary low. Anemia does make you feel shaky/tired and I do feel worse when it's "that time"- though of course it doesn't mean that's what it is for you. Still, I would see if they can get you in for a blood test sooner if your appt. isn't coming up soon.

My periods have changed as I've gotten older. At around 35 is when the changes started. I would be fine one minute and then all the sudden it felt like I was being stabbed in the belly with a knife, and I'd double over in pain. For me the pain stopped after I stopped wearing tampons. That doesn't even make sense to me but it's true. My periods have gotten really heavy for the first two days too. I get sudden floods, the flow is horrible and often defies gravity. Nothing can absorb a flood like that. I just try and stay home the first two days.

For me it was low iron and vitamin D, which supplements really helped with both.

Wanted to make another "plug" (haha...) for using a cup. I use Lunette. It was definitely a bit weird during the first cycle getting used to it, but I haven't had a single nighttime leak since I switched about a year ago. It's been well worth the initial adjustment!

(Sorry if this is TMI) Ever since the birth of my youngest, my periods have been quite a bit heavier than ever before. For the first 2 days of each period, I soak through a super absorbency tampon in an hour and a half. I have to set my alarm clock for every 2 hours at night so I can get up and change it. I also feel shaky and tired. I do have an appt scheduled with my GYN, but of course it takes awhile to get in. :glare: So I'm curious: Is this an abnormally heavy period? Is there any reason to be concerned for anemia? Or does it just seem like a lot to me because I'm not used to it?

I go through a tampon every 15-30 minutes on the second day. I get very light headed and try really really hard to not leave the house. But I only have my period for 2 days. It use to be way lighter and go for a week ( before having tubes tied).

I think heavy for 2 days works out better.