Menu

I don't want to do history anymore...

:crying::crying:

We have been doing Columbus, Jamestown, Colonial Times, Lewis and Clark all year and I am soooo tired of it. Here is the problem: we have about 6 weeks (3 days a week) of work left, I've already printed out and organized all of the projects (Time Travelers), started the books to go along with the time period, and dd LOVES learning about this time period. I have been trying for weeks, since our spring break, to psych myself up to just dig in and get it done, but everytime I think of doing it I want to crawl in a hole.

The thing is, I love the Time Travelers program and have been looking forward all year long to doing this with her. I don't know why I'm now wishing I'd never started it. I think maybe it's that I'm just tired of history taking center stage in our academics, tired of feeling these undone projects looming over my head, and feeling guilty that we didn't get to xyz becuase this or that history project took longer than we expected.

I've already planned to dial history back next year to two hours per week with only 1 or 2 big ongoing projects per month. The projects will be done on off school time hours or not done at all. In other words, if dd and ds are interested enough in the project to do it in their spare time then great, if they aren't then it just won't get done. It's gravy anyway.

So, I'm rambling now instead of going in and getting started on the next project I've planned for history. Actually we have to finish a woven blanket we were making on a miniature loom (which isn't so bad and actually kind of neat), then we are supposed to use different plants and spices to dye fabric and yarn. Meh, I think the dyeing project is going to have to be skipped, which means then we move onto coloring all the separate layers of clothes a colonial person would wear and then "dress" the little paper dolls with them. I was then going to have her put on that many layers of her own clothes to see how comfortable\uncomfortable it is.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if I could just hand her the notebook I've arranged everything in and tell her that after we've done math, latin, writing and literature she can have fun doing all the projects on her own. I mean everything is printed out...informational sheet, instructions, actual projects, and I've already placed cardstock behind each section for her to attach the finished project to. Would that work? Would I be horrible for just handing that off to her and not doing it with her?

Well, I've rambled enough. If you don't mind telling me what you think I'd appreciate it. Should I suck it up and finish these 6 weeks that I've planned, should I drop it all together so that we could actually get done for the year in about 3 or 4 weeks, or hand it off to her?

:crying::crying:

We have been doing Columbus, Jamestown, Colonial Times, Lewis and Clark all year and I am soooo tired of it. Here is the problem: we have about 6 weeks (3 days a week) of work left, I've already printed out and organized all of the projects (Time Travelers), started the books to go along with the time period, and dd LOVES learning about this time period. I have been trying for weeks, since our spring break, to psych myself up to just dig in and get it done, but everytime I think of doing it I want to crawl in a hole.

The thing is, I love the Time Travelers program and have been looking forward all year long to doing this with her. I don't know why I'm now wishing I'd never started it. I think maybe it's that I'm just tired of history taking center stage in our academics, tired of feeling these undone projects looming over my head, and feeling guilty that we didn't get to xyz becuase this or that history project took longer than we expected.

I've already planned to dial history back next year to two hours per week with only 1 or 2 big ongoing projects per month. The projects will be done on off school time hours or not done at all. In other words, if dd and ds are interested enough in the project to do it in their spare time then great, if they aren't then it just won't get done. It's gravy anyway.

So, I'm rambling now instead of going in and getting started on the next project I've planned for history. Actually we have to finish a woven blanket we were making on a miniature loom (which isn't so bad and actually kind of neat), then we are supposed to use different plants and spices to dye fabric and yarn. Meh, I think the dyeing project is going to have to be skipped, which means then we move onto coloring all the separate layers of clothes a colonial person would wear and then "dress" the little paper dolls with them. I was then going to have her put on that many layers of her own clothes to see how comfortable\uncomfortable it is.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if I could just hand her the notebook I've arranged everything in and tell her that after we've done math, latin, writing and literature she can have fun doing all the projects on her own. I mean everything is printed out...informational sheet, instructions, actual projects, and I've already placed cardstock behind each section for her to attach the finished project to. Would that work? Would I be horrible for just handing that off to her and not doing it with her?

Well, I've rambled enough. If you don't mind telling me what you think I'd appreciate it. Should I suck it up and finish these 6 weeks that I've planned, should I drop it all together so that we could actually get done for the year in about 3 or 4 weeks, or hand it off to her?

I'd hand the projects off to her without a second thought. Keep reading the books (it sounds like that's not the issue) with her.

Reading about the weaving project made me want to cry, BTW.

It sounds like it's not the history, but the projects. If you're burned out on projects, I'd just read through history and call it good.

:iagree:I almost feel bad for not planning projects at all. My plan was just reading, narrating, timeline/book of centuries and then doing projects if/when my child is pursuing the idea (within reason - I shot down the idea of replicating Nebuchadnezzar's hanging garden on our roof).

Are you doing the projects while she watches?

I think it's better to finish since she likes it so much. It seems strange to dump it.

Well, typically I read the information (the lesson) that tells about the specific topic, then we start on the project, which sometimes requires me to help her. Such as the dyeing project would require me to help her crush the items we would be using to make the dye, and then boiling them and helping her dye the fabric and yarn. There are quite a few that she couldn't do on her own. Other projects are simply cut, paste and color and she could do those alone, but I've gotten into the habit\routine of just sitting with her while she does it to keep her focused and on track.

I agree it seems strange to dump it since I've put so much work into printing and organizing it all, and because she enjoys it, but my lack of enthusiasm is causing me to want to rush through it just to get done and that's not fair to her. I'm trying to think of a way for her to still get to enjoy it without me feeling trapped.

I wanted to note that this isn't about her learning anything new or acquiring skills. She already knows about most of the topics we will cover in the Time Travelers program. We've read about this time period A LOT. This was just meant to be a fun way to finish out our year of studying this time period.

I think I'd stick with it too...you're soooooo close. Maybe really take a look at what you have left and see what you can simplify to make it more enjoyable. Can you swap out some of the projects?

I understand, though, I start getting antsy when we get close to the end of a curricula.

We did those same Time Travelers last year! I ended up feeling the same kind of burnout (especially about the projects). The difference was that my kids didn't want to do them anymore, either. :tongue_smilie:

I learned that projects can be fun, but too many can be overkill (it was just too much), and certain types just don't appeal to my crew. And part of this is because my oldest was transitioning---he was becoming too old for the crafty stuff (he's since decided he HATES paper and glue crafts, for instance). Next year, I plan to focus more on notebooking (something he's discovered he likes), with occasional projects, emphasis on creating valuable experiences and practical end-results (things they will truly want to keep/use, as opposed to filling a portfolio).

I second handing the projects off to her to do independently, that way she can pursue those things that truly interest her.

It sounds like it's not the history, but the projects. If you're burned out on projects, I'd just read through history and call it good.

I'd hand the projects off to her without a second thought. Keep reading the books (it sounds like that's not the issue) with her.

Wow I'm tired reading all that. How many projects a week are you doing? I'd say scale back and read.

I don't mind the reading at all. The projects are just so, extremely time consuming (3 days a week) and I don't feel they are adding anything to our skill development.

Maybe really take a look at what you have left and see what you can simplify to make it more enjoyable. Can you swap out some of the projects?

I can simplify to the point that she can finish out the year doing the projects on her own. I will, however, help her with a couple recipes and the quilling project is something I did want to try.

We did those same Time Travelers last year! I ended up feeling the same kind of burnout (especially about the projects). The difference was that my kids didn't want to do them anymore, either. :tongue_smilie:Glad to know I'm not the only one who got overwhelmed. If mine didn't want to do the projects I wouldn't be here whining to all of you!:tongue_smilie:

I learned that projects can be fun, but too many can be overkill (it was just too much), I should really have been more realistic when I was planning it. I should have only picked one project per week and left the others for another year.and certain types just don't appeal to my crew. And part of this is because my oldest was transitioning---he was becoming too old for the crafty stuff (he's since decided he HATES paper and glue crafts, for instance). Next year, I plan to focus more on notebooking (something he's discovered he likes), with occasional projects, emphasis on creating valuable experiences and practical end-results (things they will truly want to keep/use, as opposed to filling a portfolio). I like this idea. I think the weaving project and having her cross stitch a sampler appeal to me more because they are actual things being produced and are teaching a handicraft.

I second handing the projects off to her to do independently, that way she can pursue those things that truly interest her.

Do you school year round or take a break over the summer? Maybe some of the projects could be a fun summer time activity for her.

Yes, I'm thinking the cross stitch would definitely be a good hot summer afternoon project.

Thanks everyone for helping me think through this!

How about you finish up and let her pick which 1-3 (you decide) projects she wants to do with you. Let her know she can do the remaining paper projects on her own and she can do a little presentation for the family. Handing off responsibility towards the end of the year could be to help her be more independent for next year :D My kids love projects and I really love the feeling of not "having" to do any certain project.

I think it is important to allow yourself to cut from any prescheduled (from curriculum or your own) plans! Never be a slave to your own or someone else's schedule. It sucks the joy out of homeschooling :) I'm "Type A" but this year I have really worked on not thinking "I have" to do something that isn't really, truly necessary. Not that we don't do extra stuff - but feeling like you have to sucks out the joy.