Menu

UGH--on the Do Not Call registry but getting a ton of calls!

We have been registered with the Do Not Call registry for years. During the past two weeks, we have been getting several calls EVERY DAY from telemarketers. Most often they are from "Cardmember Services" wanting to "help" you lower your interest rate. These people constantly change their phone number so you never know who it might be. We have our own business and get calls from other area codes so I don't want to just ignore the phone.

Yesterday we got a call from someone wanting to buy our timeshare. Huh? We have never even owned a timeshare. Today it was a recording of someone offering dental insurance.

Is there ANY WAY to stop these people??? I did check to make sure we are still registered, and we are.

Many years ago the "Do Not Call" registry lasted only a year or two. Then, you had to register again and this last time is 5-10 years OR permanent, I don't remember.

Some organizations are exempt from the rules of D NOT C - political calls are an example of this.

When you talk with a telemarketer I would kindly remind them that they are subject to a fine if they call you or anyone when that person is on the DNC registry. At that point they are breaking the law. I've had to do this a few times and we do not get these types of calls.

Political yes - this year, but no others. YEA!

Many years ago the "Do Not Call" registry lasted only a year or two. Then, you had to register again and this last time is 5-10 years OR permanent, I don't remember.

Some organizations are exempt from the rules of D NOT C - political calls are an example of this.

When you talk with a telemarketer I would kindly remind them that they are subject to a fine if they call you or anyone when that person is on the DNC registry. At that point they are breaking the law. I've had to do this a few times and we do not get these types of calls.

Political yes - this year, but no others. YEA!

I checked on the web site and it is now permanent; your number remains on the Do Not Call registry unless you remove it. These were not political calls. I have tried to ask Cardmember Services to put me on their DNC list but each time, they immediately hang up the phone. They keep calling from different phone numbers. I did register an online complaint but who knows if that will do any good?

The same thing happens here, with "Cardmember Services", even though our phone is up to date with both national and state do-not-call lists, and it is a robocall, which is also illegal. Been getting them for years. The only consolation is that any legitimate business would obey the DNC list, so you know right away they are a scam.

The same thing happens here, with "Cardmember Services", even though our phone is up to date with both national and state do-not-call lists, and it is a robocall, which is also illegal. Been getting them for years. The only consolation is that any legitimate business would obey the DNC list, so you know right away they are a scam.

Robocalls are illegal?? I get them all. the. time! One that I was getting almost everyday was asking for my nephew. I finally took down the number and called and yelled at them to STOP. CALLING. ME.

I kept getting calls from "Card Services" as well. I finally "pressed 1" and waited to speak to someone on the other end. She answered and I asked if they would please put me on their "do not call list". She responded by saying, "Would you please not answer your g*& d#$% phone, b*&^%?" :glare: Yeah, I filed a complaint. I still get the calls.

I kept getting calls from "Card Services" as well. I finally "pressed 1" and waited to speak to someone on the other end. She answered and I asked if they would please put me on their "do not call list". She responded by saying, "Would you please not answer your g*& d#$% phone, b*&^%?" :glare: Yeah, I filed a complaint. I still get the calls.

Ooh, nice. Very professional of her.

Ooo, "Cardmember Services" spit spit phooey. They have the habit of calling here earlier than I arise, too :tongue_smilie:.

My understanding of this, though, is that it's legal for them to call because "they're not selling anything" and "offering a service" which is legal under the do not call laws.

Is that a misapprehension?

I checked on the web site and it is now permanent; your number remains on the Do Not Call registry unless you remove it. These were not political calls. I have tried to ask Cardmember Services to put me on their DNC list but each time, they immediately hang up the phone. They keep calling from different phone numbers. I did register an online complaint but who knows if that will do any good?

It takes up to a month for it to work. Give it time. :)

After a month or so, you can start filing complaints about the calls you're receiving.

FWIW, the Do-Not-Call-Registry is used by legitimate businesses, so it won't do much to stop illegitimate businesses and scammers from calling you.

Also, be sure that you replied to your confirmation emails after registering your phone number.

ETA: I just noticed that you have been registered for years. Consider reregistering your numbers. At one point it was temporary, and it's possible your numbers were taken off the registry. Now it's permanent, so there's no harm in registering again.

Edited by Abigail4476

I had a similar experience except I was told to f**k off.

I haven't received calls from them lately (knock wood) but I have considered getting to a person and simply screaming... or just leaving the phone off the hook...

Yeah... I'm bitter.

YES! I had someone from card services tell me to do something that I would be embarrassed to repeat. I do not have any credit cards, but answered so I could politely ask to be removed. And that is when he described what I could do. I have heard that they went to lawsuit and now have to give an opt out option. I doubt it will stop it though.:glare:

We have been registered with the Do Not Call registry for years. During the past two weeks, we have been getting several calls EVERY DAY from telemarketers. Most often they are from "Cardmember Services" wanting to "help" you lower your interest rate. These people constantly change their phone number so you never know who it might be. We have our own business and get calls from other area codes so I don't want to just ignore the phone.

Yesterday we got a call from someone wanting to buy our timeshare. Huh? We have never even owned a timeshare. Today it was a recording of someone offering dental insurance.

Is there ANY WAY to stop these people??? I did check to make sure we are still registered, and we are.

Anyone who is related to any company with which you ever even thought about doing business is exempt from the DNC list. I attach my fax machine when they just won't stop.

They go away after a couple of tries there. I've also changed my listing name in the phone book. I no longer pay for unlisted (landline), but when they call asking for John Smith (not our name), then I say, quite honestly, that there is no one here by that name and please remove us from their calling list. Failure to do so gets my fax.

WE have been here since late last July. Apparently a deadbeat had our phone number that we were assigned. So we are always getting calls from creditors and law firms. IF we are home, we don't pick up anything from 800 numbers or 877 or anything like that. But we get endless phone messages from these idiots. I did get a few of them to stop. WE had a lull and here we have more again. Also we have been getting the dopey cardmember services calls and we are on the do not call list. I relisted us again because those stupid cardmember services people keep calling. No, I do not do business with them. I have also received calls from rival insurance companies and calls from banks and mortgage companies that I am not associated with. I am waiting three more weeks and then I start taking names and numbers and notifying FTC.

The attorney general in your state is usually the person to prosecute and fine companies that violate the DNC list. Write a letter or email with details. If you can get the phone number and/or name of the company and document that you tried to tell them to put you on their do not call list and they continued to call you, then they can prosecute or fine them. You can also complain to the AG about robo calls and calls after a certain time at night. The robocalls and the time may vary from state to state.

Just FYI, there are national DNC lists and state DNC lists and it helps to get on both. Also it helps never to fill out those sweepstakes for little prizes, give your phone number to stores that ask when you buy something or other opportunities for someone to get your number.

Does DNC list apply to charities asking for donations? I get those calls all the time. Of course we get telemarketers too, but I am just wondering about those calls asking for money.

No, the DNC list does not apply to charities. Honestly, I don't get that many of those. I used to occasionally get a call from the Fraternal Order of Police. I had heard that they give very little of the $$ collected to the actual charity. When I asked specifically about this, the man admitted that in the past they had not been very good about that, but now they were "up to 23%". Good grief.

No, the DNC list does not apply to charities. Honestly, I don't get that many of those. I used to occasionally get a call from the Fraternal Order of Police. I had heard that they give very little of the $$ collected to the actual charity. When I asked specifically about this, the man admitted that in the past they had not been very good about that, but now they were "up to 23%". Good grief.

Yes, and you have to be sure about those, too. We've gotten calls selling tickets for the "firemen's ball" fundraiser. My fireman husband had no knowledge of a ball.

We have turned off the ringers on our home phone, but the answering machine kicks on at least 6 times while we're in the kitchen every evening. All robo calls, almost never one that could legitimately ignore the DNC list (even during election season, though there is one state politician who calls multiple times and fills our mailbox with several pieces of campaign ads each day... If I didn't already dislike him, the invasion of my personal space would definitely get him knocked off the voting list.)

Does DNC list apply to charities asking for donations? I get those calls all the time. Of course we get telemarketers too, but I am just wondering about those calls asking for money.

No, the DNC does not apply to charities.

Next time they call tell them that you are so overrun with phone calls (when I started this I was getting 1 every 10-15 min) that you will no longer give to any group who phones. Word gets out. It doesn't eliminate it but it does slow it down.