Menu

What countertop material should we consider?

Our kitchen needs updating. The counters are light gray/blue laminate. DH priced granite countertops at Home Depot and found an average price of $50/sq. ft.. He didn't like the look of the cheaper ones at $35/sq. ft.

There are many other types. The first one that comes to mind is Corian. What are some good choices to consider that wouldn't run as high cost as the granite?

Our kitchen is a country style to match the house. We have no desire to change the cabinets so we believe anything too modern would look really out of place.

We want to also replace the countertops in the bathrooms. They currently have the same laminate as the kitchen.

We put in Corian last year (my husband jokes about updating the house all the way to 1992), and I really like it. Granted, we were replacing 30-year-old yellow laminate with unidentifiable and intractable stains, so a roll of brown paper would have been an improvement, but I'm still really pleased.

I would look at silestone or corian as well. Our new home came with granite. I like it, but it water marks something terrible. I find myself constantly polishing it. If you do go with natural stone I'd avoid darker shades. I think that's part of my problem here.

watch Craigslist. Occasionally you can find distributors post incredible prices. That is where we got ours. We have an immense kitchen with lots of counter space with a giant center island and separate buffet area in the dining room. We did granite, installation, and new high end kitchen sink for $2000.

absolutely, under NO circumstances consider doing granite from home depot or any other big box store. talk about price inflation . . . .

look at stone yards (call around, prices vary greatly), look at pre-formed granite pieces where you tailor/assemble for your layout. tile for less (or similar where you are) has 18" x 24" slabs of granite tile, so yu can have an "almost" slab for ALOT less.

I'd also suggest regular type tile for the backsplash - much cheaper, and offers a nice esthetic contrast.

absolutely, under NO circumstances consider doing granite from home depot or any other big box store. talk about price inflation . . . .

look at stone yards (call around, prices vary greatly), look at pre-formed granite pieces where you tailor/assemble for your layout. tile for less (or similar where you are) has 18" x 24" slabs of granite tile, so yu can have an "almost" slab for ALOT less.

I'd also suggest regular type tile for the backsplash - much cheaper, and offers a nice esthetic contrast.

Agreed. Homedepot was twice the price of the local place. And the local place didn't try to upsell us. In fact, they talked my husband OUT of doing a granite backsplash...for the look we were going for the tile will look better and be cheaper.

There is a place not too far that I know sells granite. They have a large slab of something in the front where they write messages. Once they wrote, 'The 80's called. They want their laminate back.' :tongue_smilie: I'll check them out.

We did check at Home Depot. The granite color we liked was $39/sq ft installed. The Silestone color I liked was $42/sq ft installed. The backsplash would be additional $ per linear square foot. I don't know if i like the idea of a tile backsplash. I'm used to the backsplash matching the countertop.

I don't know if i like the idea of a tile backsplash. I'm used to the backsplash matching the countertop.

In my kitchen I have travertine tile going to the bottom of the cupboards - the wall is very easy to clean and has a smooth finish. there are so many options, and most people aren't doing slab granite backsplashes these days - they are going for really nice tile for contrast.