Menu

Not safe to tan, so how to avoid pasty white face??

Using makeup to self-tan never seems to turn out well, but I'm TOO pale and I think it makes me look older and unhealthy! I don't have flawless skin even though I'm very happy with the products I do use and it's much better than it used to be.

Self-tanner for the face? Throw caution to the wind and get a *little* sun? (Safely? Is that even possible?)

What do you do to get a little color?

I am not one who believes the sun gives us cancer so FWIW, I sit out with as much skin showing as possible in sunny weather for a few minutes at a time. I slowly build up until I can sit our for about 20-30 minutes. I am really, really white and this works for me. I get a nice glow but never get burned.

Throw caution to the wind and get a *little* sun? (Safely? Is that even possible?)

Of course it's possible. That's how people make vitamin D. The mid-day sun (in certain months of the year, depending on latitude) hits our skin and converts cholesterol into vitamin D. Just don't get burned. Once you start turning a little pink, vitamin D production is done for the day. Also, don't bathe right after, or the vitamin D won't have enough time to be fully absorbed.

If there were no such thing as getting a little sun safely, the human population would've probably died off long ago of skin cancer.

Edited by HoppyTheToad

I should also note that on various health boards, I've seen reports that after people changed their diets, they were able to stay out in the sun much longer without burning. For example, they went from burning in 15-20 minutes all their life to being able to be out for an hour or two without burning.

Other important points:

-Shade and clouds reduce the amount of UV, resulting in less vitamin D made

-UVB doesn't go through glass, so you can't make vitamin D inside

-Correctly applied sunscreen also stops vitamin D production

-Darker skin may need up to ten times more time in the sun to make the same amount of vitamin D as lighter skin

-The vitamin D council's website says that at noon in Miami, a person can make as much vitamin D as a person in Boston would make in an hour in the summer. The person in Boston wouldn't make any vitamin D in winter.

-Expose at least 40% of your skin. The face and hands make little or no vitamin D. The arms and legs make some, and the torso makes the most. (Vitamin D council)

-Those under 20 and over 60 make vitamin D more slowly.

I've never really worried about being in the sun, it is how we make vitamin D after all. But that doesn't mean I go out and stay out so long that I burn...this time of the year, I'll head out for five-ten minutes at a time and work on getting a good base going, as the season progresses, I'll stay out longer and usually can go a couple of hours by July without burning - but I am cautious during the hours of 10-3, I'll stay more in the shade, wear a hat or cover up more to avoid burning. The only time I actually put on some sunscreen is if I can't avoid the sun during it's peak in the mid-day and need to be out for more than an hour in direct sun....but even then, with sunscreen, I don't pretend it's okay to stay out forever!

Other important points:

-Shade and clouds reduce the amount of UV, resulting in less vitamin D made

-UVB doesn't go through glass, so you can't make vitamin D inside

-Correctly applied sunscreen also stops vitamin D production

-Darker skin may need up to ten times more time in the sun to make the same amount of vitamin D as lighter skin

-The vitamin D council's website says that at noon in Miami, a person can make as much vitamin D as a person in Boston would make in an hour in the summer. The person in Boston wouldn't make any vitamin D in winter.

-Expose at least 40% of your skin. The face and hands make little or no vitamin D. The arms and legs make some, and the torso makes the most. (Vitamin D council)

-Those under 20 and over 60 make vitamin D more slowly.

I read somewhere too that sunglasses also inhibit vitamin D production, apparently our retinas need some exposure to the UV light too.

I am not one who believes the sun gives us cancer so FWIW, I sit out with as much skin showing as possible in sunny weather for a few minutes at a time. I slowly build up until I can sit our for about 20-30 minutes. I am really, really white and this works for me. I get a nice glow but never get burned.

I've had skin cancer a couple times and have the scars to prove it. Good luck with your theory. Damage to the skin from sunburn does increase the risk of skin cancer, and very pale people are at greater risk of burning.

For the record, what exactly is wrong with the skin color white people are born with? I'm very pale and I'm not interested in changing my skin color because it is considered unfashionable! 'Pasty white'! How insulting and derogatory to people of my race!

How many people of color would react positively if they were told they should bleach THEIR skin to look more fashionable? Not many, I would think. Nor do I think they would appreciate being told their natural color was 'dingy' any more than I appreciate being told my natural color is 'pasty'. If you are dissatisfied with your own color, fine, but don't insult an entire race of people.

If you think having pale skin makes you look old, imagine how old you'll look as a dried up piece of leather which is what you'll look like by the time you are forty if you spend a lot of time in the sun despite not having the proper skin for it. White skin is an adaptation designed for the wearer to extract the maximum vitamin D amount in a climate that is the opposite of sunny and tropical, it isn't meant for spending long hours in the sun. 'Weathered' is the word to describe the unfortunate result of trying to be something you are not, I believe.

Edited by Rainefox

I feel I look a bit pale/tired in the winter... I've had a bit of luck with a product for the last few years by Benefit. It's called "Dallas" and I use it for blush and just a stroke on my nose, chin and above the eyebrows.. and it gives me just the right amount of color.. without using self-tanner or pinching my cheeks, lol.

I've had skin cancer a couple times and have the scars to prove it. Good luck with your theory. Damage to the skin from sunburn does increase the risk of skin cancer, and very pale people are at greater risk of burning.

For the record, what exactly is wrong with the skin color white people are born with? I'm very pale and I'm not interested in changing my skin color because it is considered unfashionable! 'Pasty white'! How insulting and derogatory to people of my race!

How many people of color would react positively if they were told they should bleach THEIR skin to look more fashionable? Not many, I would think. Nor do I think they would appreciate being told their natural color was 'dingy' any more than I appreciate being told my natural color is 'pasty'. If you are dissatisfied with your own color, fine, but don't insult an entire race of people.

If you think having pale skin makes you look old, imagine how old you'll look as a dried up piece of leather which is what you'll look like by the time you are forty if you spend a lot of time in the sun despite not having the proper skin for it. White skin is an adaptation designed for the wearer to extract the maximum vitamin D amount in a climate that is the opposite of sunny and tropical, it isn't meant for spending long hours in the sun. 'Weathered' is the word to describe the unfortunate result of trying to be something you are not, I believe.

I don't see anyone here advocating spending lots of time in the sun. Actually, I see the opposite. I've seen weathered, tan skin. Trust me, that's not the look I'm going for.

A tan, even the base tan I always see people referring to, is a sign of skin damage. Cells release melanin in an attempt to shield their DNA from ultraviolet exposure because UV rays are damaging to DNA. I do not recommend tanning.

Pale skin can be pretty, too. Just make sure you are moisturized and not flaky or dry. Use make-up in cool tones that is flattering to pale skin. Take care of the tender eye area.

I believe that over exposure to the sun can contribute to skin cancer, but I also believe (based on conversations with dh's oncologists) that avoiding sun exposure will contribute to much worse cancers. You can lop off a skin cancer from over exposure, you can't lop off leukemia or lymphoma. (So say the above referenced oncologists.)

I pretty much do what you do... I try to get sun exposure at mid-day for 15-20 minutes. Not enough to burn, but enough to have a healthy glow.

ETA- I do actually like the look of "pasty white skin" on a healthy person.

there are lots of new tanning products that just give a very little tan. The one I'm thinking of is part of a moisturizer.

Also if you do decide to actually sun tan - don't do it in the middle of the day and don't use the drugstore sun block. Google for about tanning lotions/sun block and some new study. I can't remember the ingredient, but there was some study that indicated these commercial sun block might actually cause skin cancer. I can't remember if it was slight risk or if the studies were still preliminary, but it was enough for us to change to a sun block listed that didn't have the ingredient and are sold places like Whole Foods.

Edited by OrganicAnn

I believe that over exposure to the sun can contribute to skin cancer, but I also believe (based on conversations with dh's oncologists) that avoiding sun exposure will contribute to much worse cancers. You can lop off a skin cancer from over exposure,

IF you get to it quick enough, which most people don't do. The melanoma death rate is high and it's often a very quick progression from diagnosis to death.

I can't believe that anyone would question the link between sun and skin cancer actually. Yes, it comes from over exposure and getting crispy, rather than from sensible exposure (as others have said ESSENTIAL for health) but the connection is there.

Personally I'm equally wary about sunscreen, and the chemicals it contains. So I refuse to slather myself or my kids in it unless absolutely necessary. My solution is to not use it, stay out of the sun at peak UV times (in Aussie this is a big deal, the UV is really strong here!) and use sunscreen when we will have to be in the sun for long periods. I always wear SPF 15 moisturiser on my face, to prevent aging but I generally get a bit of a tan due to gradual sun exposure.

So in your situation, I'd allow yourself to get some sun, but not too much and embrace your paleness, because it IS beautiful.

I should also note that on various health boards, I've seen reports that after people changed their diets, they were able to stay out in the sun much longer without burning. For example, they went from burning in 15-20 minutes all their life to being able to be out for an hour or two without burning.

Bueberries, and basically increase raw fruits and veggies are what I've read.