Menu

Has anyone who is politically conservative successfully used the later Hakim books?

Opens up a lot of discussion with your kids. :)

Kim

Well yes but with her being the oldest (8th grade) and my having two youngers not using Hakim, I can't be on top of every detail in 5 volumes of books. If they have liberal leanings, fine that can be handled. What I'm wondreing is if they get so liberal that those who are conservative would find themselves battling at every turn.

Heather

I couldn't have used them before, but I could now (if I liked them to begin with... but I think they are too textbook-y.) Before I knew enough to know what was her interpretation and what was fact, I wouldn't have been able to use them. I would probably be okay now, as I have done a few years of studying American History. But I won't use a book I don't trust unless I know enough to know what is wrong with it.

And I definitely wouldn't use them if I wasn't going to be able to discuss everything.

I think they are fabulous! Her books aren't very different than mainstream media, which is kind of hard to avoid. I am very conservative/liberatarian in my political views, and I still like the books. Our oldest used them for history, but we talk about politics so much that he gets his grounding there and can "hear" the liberal slant and brush it off. I think they are great to read as an adult so this would naturally spur great discussions.

ug. This concerns me also. I was hoping to use Sonlight core 100 but when I discovered that they use these books I hesitated. I've been told that the notes and discussion questions will help me to balance this out. I wonder though, how helpful other conservatives have found these to be. I'm quite sure these will spark some interesting discussions in our house as my hubby knows history and politics quite well.... I on the other hand do not... that's why I'd like to know how helpful these notes from Sl will be.

...because I don't know how 'politically conservative' I am, all around (I do hold some beliefs that would be considered 'conservative', but I hold some that would be labeled 'liberal', too), but I did have some hesitation about using these books because of things I'd heard about their accuracy.

I borrowed the ones we used from the library, my kids liked them, and I believe that even if there were some inaccuracies*...ingesting lots of history from a variety of sources will remedy that, to an extent. (Most engagingly written history has an element of bias in it, I believe. My then-12-and-13yos did enjoy the books...and I did, too.)

Not that it isn't something to investigate, or think about seriously, but as I said...my concern ended up being mitigated by the fact that they're not our only source. I didn't buy them, and I won't, for younger kids, until I've been satisifed that any errors are bias-related or minor and small in number, but history is a big subject, and if I have resources on hand that give accounts of the same events and people, I'll likely own them at some point. I thought they were fun and useful.

*I'm not saying that I would recognize each and every blunder, and I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable person in the world about American history...but I do know a fair amount of general facts. I was tickled that I picked up on an inaccuracy in the John Adams series, lol! (There's more than one, but I only caught one of them).

I consider myself pretty conservative, but I've used them, too. We never read from one author alone, and discuss discrepencies that we find amongst the different authors we read. I would never recommend a book written as a text for schools as a stand-alone program. Textbooks are notoriously rife with error. I did want my son to understand that people look at history from very different perspectives.

Wow, if you think these are bad, you should take a look at the Howard Zinn books that tons of high school kids use for AP American History studies now. My son is reading one this summer in preparation for next year and just the little bits and pieces I've gotten of it are KILLING me. I'm going to have to read the darn thing, myself, in order to be able to discuss with him how much I dislike it and precisely why....

I am using them for our modern times study this year, and I love Ms Hakim's books! Honestly, I don't see what all of the hullaballoo is about. I love the profuse illustrations and fresh writing style. Her writing style just sucks me in every time.

We are Jesus freaks here, but don't plan on depending on any textbook writer, Christian or secular, to form a Christian world view in our child. No, I don't feel Ms Hakim is hostile to a Christian worldview in any way. Her bias seems to be more politically liberal than our family, and we see it as a chance to discuss other points of view.

I almost missed out on this series because of the naysayers, and I'm so glad I got a copy of one of her books and looked at it myself. I'd recommend you check your library and read one of her books for yourself.

Also, we are using TruthQyest AHYS III, and the book choices we will supplement with will mostly reflect a Christian Worldview. The TQ guide has good commentary to lend a helpful hand in teaching Christian worldview issues for those that desire that.

I almost missed out on this series because of the naysayers, and I'm so glad I got a copy of one of her books and looked at it myself. I'd recommend you check your library and read one of her books for yourself.

That was my experience, also. I kept hearing so much bad about the series that I could not understand why SL would use them at all. I consider myself to be politically conservation (mostly). I found that our local library has them, so I checked several volumes out just to see what the deal was with them. I loved the first one I read and I've loved all the other volumes that I've read. I actually just purchased Vol. 1 and plan to continue purchasing them until we have them all.

I'm glad I just read them myself. I really like them and am looking forward to using them with the children.

Like many have said in posts above, the key is to read from more than one text. Look for the two ends to make a whole. That's why they call it...

his - story

It's always from the view point of the author. I have everything from Zinn to Paul Johnson and points in between, and now it's my & dd's job to wade through it and find the story that hopefully is the closest to the truth.