Menu

"John Adams" miniseries from HBO...

but the book by David McCollough is not to be missed. Really, almost anything written by him is fantastic. I've read 1776, and my husband has read Mornings on Horseback, about Teddy Roosevelt.

I also heard David McCollough speak the other day on C-SPAN's Book TV to a convention of history teachers. He's a tremendous speaker as well!

ok, I just finished watching it a week or so ago, so here's what I can remember. Very graphic tarring and feathering. The frontal nudity is sort of "far away", but still visible. There is an amputation scene that is pretty gruesome. They actually show the sawing/blood etc. (not like the amputation in Master in Commander where they don't actually show the cutting part). There is the scene with John and Abigail when they are reunited after a long absence, and get right to it (necking, beginning of undressing each other). There is a scene where John barges in on Ben Franklin who is sitting in the bathtub with his mistress playing chess. No actual nudity here, but suggestive none the less. And then the "b***st scene with Adam's daughter, which is quite a lingering camera shot, not just a brief glance. I'll just say that my dd who is almost 17 was rather unnerved by the tar/feather scene and grabbed the couch pillow as fast as she could. Having fair warning after this, she kept it handy for the rest of the movie. I further unnerved her (heh heh) by saying "well honey, if you've seen one "hmmmm" you've seen them all" LOL! I say the rating is right on, and I do get annoyed by superfluous graphidity however (like my new word?). The tarring and feathering, imo, wasn't superfluous - it very strongly brought home how awful this practice actually was, but the amputation, some of the "bedroom" stuff (granted they were married, so I don't fault it in that respect), and certainly the "b**k" shot were purely for titillation value. That said, however, I enjoyed it for the most part. It did get boring a few times, and there were certain aspects of his personality that shine out more in the book that didn't as much in the miniseries, but overall it captured the book fairly well. I think the miniseries focused quite a bit on the more grating aspects of his personality, without balancing the picture as much as the book does. After reading the book, I came away with a great respect and appreciation of this most interesting man. I came away from the movie not liking him as much. This is understandable, though. The brusque side of Adams inherently provides more of the kind of tension and conflict that make a movie interesting. So, to sum up, enjoy the miniseries, it is well done. Be aware of the reasons for the rating so you can wisely consider who should watch it. Read the book....it gives a bit more balanced picture. I'm done.

Well, not that we have HBO, but thanks for the heads-up. I'll stick with the book which has only deepend my respect for Adams. Too bad HBO didn't capture the true beauty of the marriage between John and Abigail Adams expressed in their letters a la Ken Burns.

Blessings,

Lisa

I loved it and thought it was wonderfully done. I cried in the last episodes- the sacrifices many made were amazing. Don't miss it- I think it is a must own!

I let my 14 year old watch it minus the tar and feathering and the fully clothed loved scene and we are strict about PG 13 and never allow R movies in the home. We are huge history people here and New Englander's, so John Adams is a part of the landscape at our home. We did American History but were way past John Adams, by the time it aired- but I insisted, and she insisted on watching it. Since I dvr'd it, I could edit before hand.

Actually, they did quite well at capturing the essence of their marriage. The particular scene I mentioned was actually very well done, and authentic.......not overdone in any way, meaning they were acting like married people who are very in love with each other. My only caution was that you might want to consider what aspects of happily married life you wish your children to know about at what age. They certainly did not go "all the way" (LOL) in the scene.....just a little warmed up :o). Which is why we married folks teach our children to knock when our bedroom door is closed :o). Seriously, though, the miniseries was very well done, and I personally enjoyed it (and bought it......they have a 3cd version with really great extras). If you are reading, or have already read the book, I *highly* recommend watching the series, with the above cautions for children.

Kayleen

I'll add for clarification that when I thought some scenes were superfluous I only meant that although they were authentic they could have been left out without any loss of quality to the movie. So I think the movie captured the beautiful relationship between John and Abigail enough that they *could* have left that one scene out and not ruined anything.

. Too bad HBO didn't capture the true beauty of the marriage between John and Abigail Adams expressed in their letters a la Ken Burns.

QUOTE]

Not to worry, the movie DOES capture their love. I was blown away. And I've only seen parts 1 & 2. The rest is coming this week from Netflix :)

The letters between John and Abigail Adams are probably what struck me most in the book. My boys all watched The Patriot, even at younger elementary because we could delete the hatchet and suicide scenes. I'll have to put the series on my (just subscribed) Netflix list.

Thanks ladies,

Lisa

Actually, they did quite well at capturing the essence of their marriage. The particular scene I mentioned was actually very well done, and authentic.......

It's a very realistic portrayal of what marriage to someone who's gone a lot (for a very good reason) is like. At least, I thought so, as a former military wife.

Their frank and affection conversations...her hurt when he stopped writing...and the "Cue the Barry White Music" scene...all very possible, and a full picture of that kind of relationship, I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking that someone could do a great history curriculum using a good American history textbook plus other great books to read. All of David McCollough's books so far have something to do with American history and would make fantastic supplements, as well as the Albert Marrin books.

My husband and I watched this on HBO with my then 13yo dd. My 11/12 yo dd was invited, but not really interested, especially after the tarring and feathering scene. That scene was rather graphic, but true to history. I found the whole thing well-done, although a bit mumbly at times. Their marriage was fantastic and the clothed love scene to me was a testament to the physical side of their affection. Plus, he was frequently away and that scene was a part of the strain it played on the marriage, IMO. I also thought the surgery scene was well-done. br**st cancer is so prevalent now and I was surprised to think that it even occurred in the 1700-1800's, yet this was the only means of dealing with it. The whole series was filled with strange camera shots, so I just thought this was one more 'angle'.

I'm not trying to argue anyone's opinion of the movie. We all have varying degrees of our comfort zones and I really just wanted to add another vote for the movie. My dd wouldn't have read the book, but I'm glad she watched the movie with us.

My Dearest Friend is a collection of the letters between Abigail and John and it's wonderful! Yes, a lot of these are available online, but this book puts them in chronological order and it gives a beautiful picture of their relationship and so much insight into the events of the times, both here and abroad. Their letters are so romantic and witty; I love how John loved Abigail as a trusted friend and advisor and didn't expect her to keep quiet on matters of state!

I was thinking that someone could do a great history curriculum using a good American history textbook plus other great books to read. All of David McCollough's books so far have something to do with American history and would make fantastic supplements, as well as the Albert Marrin books.

Great suggestions, Michelle. That is my current plan for US History in a couple years. I have so much to learn before then!

6pack, I'll check that link out. Thanks!!

Just got Parts 1 & 2 from Netflix. Its wonderful!

Has anyone incorporated the book and/or movie into high school US History?

Thanks!

I haven't planned it myself, but dd16 has the book for assigned summer reading prior to AP US History in the fall. I think we'll get the netflix, too.

I'm thinking about using this with TOG Year 2, in the 2nd semester for dd13.

:iagree: I've got both of those authors on my list! Now, just to make time for it all.

Thanks for the tip regarding the John Adams HBO series available through Netflix! My hubby recently signed up with Netflix.

I definetly will include my family when viewing this terrific DVD series. Next year my children will be studying the birth of our nation and will probably assign McCullough books (John Adams and 1776). They are astounding biographies!

• 1 year later...
but the book by David McCollough is not to be missed. Really, almost anything written by him is fantastic. I've read 1776, and my husband has read Mornings on Horseback, about Teddy Roosevelt.

I also heard David McCollough speak the other day on C-SPAN's Book TV to a convention of history teachers. He's a tremendous speaker as well!

I wonder if he'd come to a homeschool conference...

I wonder if he'd come to a homeschool conference...

That is a GREAT idea! :thumbup1:

This is a very old thread (which I am NOT guilty of bumping up, btw :D ) but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless. We're fans of this movie, as well as the book. We've watched the movie twice and read parts of the book as I was looking more information about certain scenes and events. Because I found a few disconnects between the movie and book (not a lot, but a few), I was curious about some things, particularly their religion and how that played a role in the founding of our country. So I did an internet search and found a few interesting links that y'all might be interested in:

http://www.adherents.com/people/pa/John_Adams.html

http://www25-temp.uua.org/uuhs/duub/articles/johnadams.html

http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/pres/trivia.htm

Also, for those who've NOT yet watched the movie, there's one more scene that hasn't been mentioned which grossed me out. At one point when John is away, Abigail has herself and the children vaccinated for Smallpox. This is back when they did it the old-fashioned way -- transfer the actual sore material from an infected person to a non-infected person. The girls and I had to turn away during this scene. :001_unsure: I think dh watched. :lol:

Also, for those who've NOT yet watched the movie, there's one more scene that hasn't been mentioned which grossed me out. At one point when John is away, Abigail has herself and the children vaccinated for Smallpox. This is back when they did it the old-fashioned way -- transfer the actual sore material from an infected person to a non-infected person. The girls and I had to turn away during this scene. :001_unsure: I think dh watched. :lol:

We watched that episode last night. Yep. I turned away. My exact words that I said last night: "I would be a terrible colonial mom." :)