Menu

Which Shakespeare play to take the kids to?

We're doing a summer study on Medieval history and I'm planning to read through Shakespeare for Children and to watch a few plays on video. A nearby city has summer productions of:

Two Gentleman of Verona

Tempest

Cymbeline

Othello

I've seen The Tempest and that's my current top choice.

If I plan on one, we're more likely to make it than we are if I try for all four and the city is far enough away that making all four is unlikely.

Which one would be the best for a 9 and (almost) 7? I'm thinking appropriate, in terms of entertaining, for their age. I'm not worried about fighting or innuendo.

We're doing a summer study on Medieval history and I'm planning to read through Shakespeare for Children and to watch a few plays on video. A nearby city has summer productions of:

Two Gentleman of Verona

Tempest

Cymbeline

Othello

I've seen The Tempest and that's my current top choice.

If I plan on one, we're more likely to make it than we are if I try for all four and the city is far enough away that making all four is unlikely.

Which one would be the best for a 9 and (almost) 7? I'm thinking appropriate, in terms of entertaining, for their age. I'm not worried about fighting or innuendo.

Othello could be very tough for younger kids. It's dark and features an onstage murder. My kids saw it when they were roughly your kids' ages, but it wasn't their first Shakespearean play.

Two Gentlemen can be fun. It's a comedy and is pretty light. I can't, off the top of my head, think of anything problematic for younger kids.

The Tempest is one of my personal favorites. I can't remember there being much that would be inappropriate (except possibly Caliban, depending on how they play him).

I've never seen Cymbeline live, just read it in college. It wouldn't top my list.

(It's a tiny point, by the way, but Shakespeare is Renaissance, not medieval.)

Two Gentleman of Verona

Tempest

Cymbeline

Othello

I've never seen or read Cymbeline. Othello gets dark. If I remember right, Othello kills his wife because he suspects adultery. Personal killing, not killing time of war. I enjoyed Tempest and Two Gentlemen of Verona. But for a 9 and 7 yo, my recommendation would be Two Gentlemen of Verona.

Othello strangles his wife onstage, which can be upsetting. Some versions are bloodier than others. We recently saw a student version, which was tamer (and there was a lot less blood) than the nighttime showings.

Likewise, Cymbeline has a lot of killing and scenes dealing with sex and rape. It is similar in theme to Othello.

I don't think I would take younger kids to either of those plays.

My kids are about the same age. Last year they enjoyed "Midsummer Night's Dream" and "As You Like it". My older son has also seen "Romeo and Juliet" and "MacBeth".

This summer they will both see "Taming of the Shrew" and "Romeo and Juliet"

MacBeth would have been a bit much for the younger.

My kids are about the same age. Last year they enjoyed "Midsummer Night's Dream" and "As You Like it".

Midsummer is my personal pick for a first exposure to live Shakespeare. As I think I've said before on these boards, the film version with Kevin Kline was my kids' favorite movie for a year or so when they were preschool ages. My son, who was barely talking then, used to call Bottom "Donkey Boy."

Part of the problem with Shakespeare for younger kids, of course, is that every single play is steeped in either sex or violence (or both). We've never been especially worried about the bawdy stuff, meaning comedies are fairly "safe."

The Tempest. But it depends a bit on the production. Read a review first and see how it's staged. I've seen some Shakespeare staged so radically differently - some interpretations are better for kids than others regardless of the play.

It's really too bad that "Midsummer Night's Dream" isn't on your list because it would be perfect for children that age and came to my mind first. Out of those on your list, I think "Two Gentlemen from Verona" would be amusing and light (although may possibly be boring to some kids), but "The Tempest" would be full of adventure and magic that might capture their imagination.

Have a fun time!

Blessings,

Lucinda

The closest Midsummer performance this summer is over 3 hours away. We could make a weekend of it, but that's iffy. Especially since it's an outdoor performance, so the weather could ruin the whole weekend.

So, Two Gentleman or Tempest seem like the best choices.

Next question....

Which movie versions of which plays to make sure and watch? I'm not really concerned with hitting the different types of plays. I want them (and me) to enjoy this.

Midsummer Nights w/ Kevin Kline

??????

Movie version of Much Ado about Nothing with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson is hilarious!

Agreed, but be aware there is some nudity.

There's a fun film version of Twelfth Night, but I don't remember details off the top of my head.

The Mel Gibson Hamlet isn't bad.

I like the 1960s Zefferelli version of Romeo and Juliet.

I remember liking the Taming of the Shrew with Elizabeth Taylor when I was a kid, but I saw it again as an adult and really disliked it.

The closest Midsummer performance this summer is over 3 hours away. We could make a weekend of it, but that's iffy. Especially since it's an outdoor performance, so the weather could ruin the whole weekend.

My reply was going to be "whatever play is being done on the green". There is nothing like the experience of seeing a Shakespeare play done outside, sitting on the lawn on blankets, enjoying cheese and crackers.

I don't know that I'd make a long drive to see a play on the green, but definitely put it on your radar. It's totally worth it.

Another vote for Tempest. I remember seeing a production of it when I was pretty young, and while I didn't follow all the dialogue, the staging and costuming were magnificent. I still recall how they created waves by having two people ripple a huge piece of blue fabric between them.