Menu

Something to share with your 13+ daughters (re: Facebookl, Foursquare, etc. privacy)

I'm not trying to be alarmist, and I'm not paranoid about online stalkers or men in general. Just getting that out of the way up front. :001_smile:

This article about an app called "Girls Around Me?" is a good reminder to check and recheck your privacy settings: This Creepy App Isn’t Just Stalking Women Without Their Knowledge, It’s A Wake-Up Call About Facebook Privacy

ETA: I don't know FB and Foursquare rules about minor users, but I do know that it's not uncommon for teens to lie about their age to get unrestricted accounts.

Edited by nmoira
spelling in title

Creepy. :eek:

This is actually an app that parents of teens might want to download, just to see if their own kids' locations and info are included.

Life is becoming easier than ever for crazies and stalkers. :glare:

Thank you for sharing the link and the article.

Edited by Catwoman

even though it's called "girls around me" you can also use it track boys. So we probably shouldn't limit this talk about online safetly to just the daughters around us, but the sons too!
True. I only have daughters, so I tend to be daughter focused.

Facebook apps give me the creeps. Two days ago one posted a "message" from my daughter to her Facebook friends -- a message she didn't authorize, at a time when she wasn't even on the computer. (She was sitting in the car next to me at the time it posted.) She keeps insisting that her profile is very private, but there's been a general creeping of more and more kids into her friends list whom I know she's never met. We had hoped Facebook would be a nice little way she could communicate with her school friends -- we didn't realize that the whole social scene resolves around Facebook. It's just mammoth.