Menu

Khan Academy ~ How to Best Implement?

I'm an extremely structured and organized type.

Any tips as to how to best implement the lessons in Khan Academy?

How do you use it with your dc?

Do you go by one lesson per day?

How do you choose which subjects?

The huge selection is quite overwhelming.

Any tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I am somewhat overwhelmed by Khan Academy, and that has kept me from using it until recently. I have started to use it to supplement Lial's Algebra for Ds. I don't have a schedule laid out, though I wish I did. I use the search box and type in keywords from the lesson. Then I have been able to decide which video/s match his lesson. We've been using it for one math lesson per day. So far, so good. I'd love to hear how others are using it. :bigear:

1 way to use Khan Academy, is to go to the Practice Section and just start at the top of the Suggested Exercises.

The 1st topic is Addition 1. Do the problems until it tells you are ready to move on. It will take you back to the Practice section - just choose the next one on the list of Suggested Exercies.

Back on the problem screen, in the upper left corner will be some "Related Videos". Watch all the related vidoes (sometimes there are none, one, are several), then work the problems. (There are no videos listed for Addition 1).

Just keep working your way down the list

Try it yourself - the first ones will be easy for you and will go really fast.

KA will log each user's progress if they sign in with a gmail account or face book. If you sign yourself up as a coach and your children add you as their coach, you can track their activity and progress.

I am using KA for reviewing math for myself so I don't have a coach.

Best wishes

1 way to use Khan Academy, is to go to the Practice Section and just start at the top of the Suggested Exercises.

The 1st topic is Addition 1. Do the problems until it tells you are ready to move on. It will take you back to the Practice section - just choose the next one on the list of Suggested Exercies.

Back on the problem screen, in the upper left corner will be some "Related Videos". Watch all the related vidoes (sometimes there are none, one, are several), then work the problems. (There are no videos listed for Addition 1).

KA will log each user's progress if they sign in with a gmail account or face book. If you sign yourself up as a coach and your children add you as their coach, you can track their activity and progress.

Best wishes

This is how we use it as well.

My dd and I are using it for Physical Science and Chemistry. I go by the A Beka book Science of the Physical Creation and jot down the topics in each chapter. Then I find the corresponding pages in Usborne Science Encyclopedia and we read those as an intro. Then we watch a Khan Academy lecture on the topic. Then we read the text. So by the time we get to the text, she is already pretty familiar with the topic.

I would also suggest starting from the beginning of the learning map. It's quick to get through the earlier lessons. My girls just watch the videos if they find themselves missing too many in a row. Ten problems correct in a row is a "streak" and you are considered proficient and can move on.

Now we just use Khan Academy as a supplement on our co-op day. But when my girls left public school this was their only math for the first 3 months. 60ish minutes a day starting from the beginning. The next suggested lesson(s) will be marked in green. The system will also have lessons marked in orange for review. If you get the first review question right you move on. If you miss it, you get one more chance before you have to get a streak of 10 again. This is great for reinforcement and review.

We love Khan Academy.

I would also suggest starting from the beginning of the learning map. It's quick to get through the earlier lessons. My girls just watch the videos if they find themselves missing too many in a row. Ten problems correct in a row is a "streak" and you are considered proficient and can move on.

Now we just use Khan Academy as a supplement on our co-op day. But when my girls left public school this was their only math for the first 3 months. 60ish minutes a day starting from the beginning. The next suggested lesson(s) will be marked in green. The system will also have lessons marked in orange for review. If you get the first review question right you move on. If you miss it, you get one more chance before you have to get a streak of 10 again. This is great for reinforcement and review.

We love Khan Academy.

This is how we are using it too -- currently for afterschooling.

I have an account, as do each of my sons. Through their accounts, I have added myself as a coach. We log in through their gmail accounts. I had set them up years ago on gmail -- they may be technically my accounts since they use my email as a backup, but having accounts in their actual names will be useful for jobseeking later.

Anyway, we try to do some each day. Since we've gotten beyond the lessons that are easy for them, they prefer me to be nearby since that helps with frustration. We might watch the associated video together if it is helpful. What I love about Khan is it keeps track of their progress and suggests review problems - like a portable workbook that always knows your place an suggests review. If we're having a day where we don't want to tackle a new issue, we'll (they'll) do review problems. Otherwise we'll usually do one of the new topics -- as described above, the "next" thing is often suggested for you, or you can follow on the knowledge map.

I also really like the badges and points. They aren't supermotivating but help a bit.

I also encourage them to watch the videos on other topics and be logged in so we have a record of what they've viewed. Those other lectures are more engaging for my 13 year old than my 9 year old.

We've also been trying to use freerice similarly, with the log in and coach, though Khan gets more use.

It seems particularly suited for homeschooling, since the wave of the future is the "flipped" classroom, where you get your lecture at home via something like Khan and your in-class time is spent with your teacher tutoring you. I saw Bill Gates lecture on this recently and he mentioned Khan. If that's the future of the classroom -- trying to individually tutor, rather than inspiring lectures -- it seems remarkably like one-on-one tutoring at home. Especially for math.

I use it for math. I watch the lesson. As I teach SM, I also show his method if it is a little different. I use the same words, too. If kiddo has no issue with the topic, I move on. If he does, I have him watch the vid a couple of times, once with me and we can stop if he has questions.

If I'm coming to a whole new topic, I sometimes have him watch it a couple of times while I'm at work. Perhaps it is the magic of the screen, but he seems to pay more attention to Mr. Khan than me. ;)

We've started using the Khan math videos here as standardized test prep & review. They're pretty quick and don't add much time to the lessons. I don't like to spend a lot of time prepping, but brain fog is going around here.

There is so much offered; I have a feeling we'll use it more as we become more familiar with the site. My thoughts are to use them next year to introduce new subjects or reinforce more difficult ones.

DS is using it extensively for algebra. He spends about 1 hour & 20 minutes per day. Currently he watches the video lessons until the practice section is offered. Then he does the practice questions and goes back to watching videos until nEw practice section comes up. Repeat. He is watching the algebra videos in the order listed on the site.

He has also started from the very beginning of the web and worked up through much of the knowledge web. He is continuing through that review also but designates more time for the new algebra content. Sometimes we use Lial's or AoPS for extra explanations or reviews.

We are considering going to AoPS full time-- in fact we plan to try it out this week. When he first tried AoPS it was far too challenging for him. Khan has helped him build up many of the per slgebra skills.

Having the computer instantly correct the problem and set back your progress when the problem is incorrect has helped DS be much more careful with his work. When he was doing Lial's he made many sign errors. With khan he realllly keeps track if the negative signs.

A part if me feels as though he should have a written math component, hence our retryin AoPS.

Aside from math, he enjoys the economics videos and he watches those in his free time.

He signs in with a google email.

Best wishes

I have a coach account set up and each kid signs in through a google account that I set up for them. I use it more as a supplement, but I have a friend that uses it as her math curriculum and she basically has her kiddos go from lesson to lesson in order. Then, she goes in as a coach and looks at the results from the practice problem and looks at their time, etc.

I also use it as a resource when I need to teach the kids something that I know intuitively but am having a hard time trying to explain.

DS is using it extensively for algebra. He spends about 1 hour & 20 minutes per day. Currently he watches the video lessons until the practice section is offered. Then he does the practice questions and goes back to watching videos until nEw practice section comes up. Repeat. He is watching the algebra videos in the order listed on the site.

He has also started from the very beginning of the web and worked up through much of the knowledge web. He is continuing through that review also but designates more time for the new algebra content. Sometimes we use Lial's or AoPS for extra explanations or reviews.

We are considering going to AoPS full time-- in fact we plan to try it out this week. When he first tried AoPS it was far too challenging for him. Khan has helped him build up many of the per slgebra skills.

Having the computer instantly correct the problem and set back your progress when the problem is incorrect has helped DS be much more careful with his work. When he was doing Lial's he made many sign errors. With khan he realllly keeps track if the negative signs.

A part if me feels as though he should have a written math component, hence our retryin AoPS.

Aside from math, he enjoys the economics videos and he watches those in his free time.

He signs in with a google email.

We've been working on the "web" portion, but I'd love to have my two older ones go through the Algebra videos. There are so many. I find it confusing. Where did you start? How do you find the practice problems? Are they part of the videos?

Thanks!

We love Khan Academy.

Best wishes

WOW! You guys are so helpful! I, too, have been totally overwhelmed bt this site. I really wanted to use it, but wasn't sure whrer to start. I'm headed over there now to check it out better. THANK YOU!!!

Also watch this video to explain how the "system" works. This was the ah-ha moment for me.

http://www.khanacademy.org/talks-and-interviews/v/khan-academy-exercise-software

Here is another one that I haven't watched but might also shed some light on "using" the system as the coach.

http://www.khanacademy.org/talks-and-interviews/v/khan-academy-exercises-and-reports-overview