Menu

S/O Cincy Convention - Where are you staying?

Where are you staying?  

1. 1. Where are you staying?

• Across the street - Millenium
    • Hotel within 3 blocks
    • Hotel within 6 blocks
    • Hotel within 1 mile
    • Bed & Breakfast
    • Private Rental (house, condo, etc.)
    • Camping!
    • Other (please let us know)!

We're staying at the Millennium. I love staying within walking distance. There's no way that I want to deal with parking each day. We stayed at the Millennium 2 years ago, in the North tower. The room was really small, but I assume it's because it's a really old building and we're not used to staying in hotels that old. Last year we stayed at the Hilton. The room was a little bit bigger, so we liked that, but I didn't like walking farther. I like to be able to go back to my room quickly if I want to, without missing a session. We used the skywalk a lot at both hotels, but the one going to the Hyatt and the Hilton is an outdoor skywalk for part of the way. That wouldn't work well in bad weather. 2 years ago it was very cold and windy, so the enclosed skywalk from the Millennium was very handy.

This year we're trying the Millennium again, but the South tower this time.

I stay at the Millennium for the same reasons as Gardening Momma. The rooms are tight (we're in it very little), there's no pool (who has the time?), and it does cost more. However, I go to the convention by myself w/the kids and the convenience aspect is worth every penny. Last year, I could send my dc back to the hotel room to pick something up, or I left them there for a bit during the WTM hook-up. I could never do that if they were even an iota further away. My dh convinced me the first year we stayed there that even if the rooms were a bit on the shabby side, that for safety/convenience reasons it was well worth it.

Gardening Momma, when you made your reservation did you specifically request the south side and why?

Laura

I stay at the Millennium for the same reasons as Gardening Momma. The rooms are tight (we're in it very little), there's no pool (who has the time?), and it does cost more. However, I go to the convention by myself w/the kids and the convenience aspect is worth every penny. Last year, I could send my dc back to the hotel room to pick something up, or I left them there for a bit during the WTM hook-up. I could never do that if they were even an iota further away. My dh convinced me the first year we stayed there that even if the rooms were a bit on the shabby side, that for safety/convenience reasons it was well worth it.

Gardening Momma, when you made your reservation did you specifically request the south side and why?

Laura

When you select your room the room description says if the room is in the North or South tower. Looking at the hotel's website, it looks like the "Superior" rooms are in the North Tower, and the "Standard" rooms are in the South Tower (at least for the 1 King bed rooms).

We picked the South Tower this year just to see if the rooms are different. We were in the North Tower 2 years ago, and thought the rooms were really small. Just want to see if there's a difference. I think we'll stay with the Millennium in future years anyway, because of the proximity to the convention center.

Oh, wait--I just looked up my email confirmation, and this year we got a room with 2 double beds instead of 1 king. We figured the room would HAVE to be bigger to fit 2 doubles. 2 beds would NOT have fit in the 1 king room we had in the North Tower. We're used to sleeping in a king, but can manage for a couple of nights in a double (or spread out in 2 beds!).

When you select your room the room description says if the room is in the North or South tower. Looking at the hotel's website, it looks like the "Superior" rooms are in the North Tower, and the "Standard" rooms are in the South Tower (at least for the 1 King bed rooms).

We picked the South Tower this year just to see if the rooms are different. We were in the North Tower 2 years ago, and thought the rooms were really small. Just want to see if there's a difference. I think we'll stay with the Millennium in future years anyway, because of the proximity to the convention center.

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure if one of the towers had more updated rooms. I remember reading some poor reviews a couple of years on one of the travel sites about the Millennium, but experienced clean, but small, plain rooms.

I, too, could stay about 45 mins. away at my mom's house, (she's in Wilmington--any where near you GM?), but the convenience factor when the day starts early and ends late is huge.

Laura

I stayed at the LivInn last year, Sharonville area. It was nice and we got a great price through Hotwire!

I always debate paying more for the convenience of staying downtown vs. saving money (more $$ to spend on books!) and driving/parking. I have reservations at the Hilton, now I'm trying to decide if I really want to pay the extra $$ or just stay at the LivInn again.

I, too, could stay about 45 mins. away at my mom's house, (she's in Wilmington--any where near you GM?), but the convenience factor when the day starts early and ends late is huge.

It is a long day, and I stayed downtown last year with a friend, but my MIL and SIL are going this year (and maybe my sister and her husband), so that drive time becomes a good time for narrations ... divide and conquer :) Way better than driving by oneself!

Also, the convenience and cost savings of having nutritious food in the van for breakfast and lunch is extremely important to us. Tailgating is fun :)

They will have 5$ parking vouchers for the nearby lots.

Thanks! So you park in a nearby parking garage (I assume a garage) and then while your're at the convention you will get a voucher so you only have to pay $5 when you leave?

Thanks! So you park in a nearby parking garage (I assume a garage) and then while your're at the convention you will get a voucher so you only have to pay $5 when you leave?

In the past, they have put the vouchers up on their stie and emailed them out. So you just print the voucher out and present it when you leave the garage.

Parking is really easy in my opinion, and I'm usually a valet-loving person. :D

In the past, they have put the vouchers up on their stie and emailed them out. So you just print the voucher out and present it when you leave the garage.

Parking is really easy in my opinion, and I'm usually a valet-loving person. :D

The vouchers are for city parking garages and the specific locations are listed on the voucher. Any parking options not listed will not take the voucher.

The vouchers are for city parking garages and the specific locations are listed on the voucher. Any parking options not listed will not take the voucher.

Yes, there is usually a list on the voucher. The parking lot right across the street takes it, and that's where we always go, because you can walk across the bridge.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure where I'm staying yet. Probably some place further out, since I can't afford a $100+ room. Any suggestions? This will be my first time in Cincinnati.

I did a quick search on travelocity...the nearest hotel that I found under $100 is in northern Kentucky--the Travelodge Newport/Cincinnati Riverfront for $49/night. I have not stayed there, and I don't know how much time you need for travel & parking.

It's #16 on this map:

post-4611-1353508655202_thumb.jpg

post-4611-1353508655202_thumb.jpg