Menu

Paleo Diet, is anyone doing this?

My ds & family came over last night and we chatted about our diabetic challenges. She's doing the whole Mayo Clinic Diabetic thingy. When I told her that I was doing no carbs she said, "Oh the Paleo Diet!"

I had to google it because I'd never heard of it. WOW! Tons of recipes. I'm psyched.

6 days into this no carb and I've lost 5 pounds. That's the most I've ever lost. I'm hoping for a 10 pound weigh loss for my 2-week check up so I can impress the doctor even if my numbers are falling into line. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by CalicoKat
added link

ME!!!!

I read Primal Blueprint (same as paleo) and was stunned by his insulin sensitive information! That is so ME!!!

Fast forward: I started eating according to Primal last Thursday -- I've lost 8 pounds -- i've effortlessly stayed under 50 carbs a day and have practically had to force myself to eat. I am NOT hungry.

Good luck!!!!!:D

I purchased the book (Primal Blueprint) and the cookbook last week. I haven't read all of it but have tried a couple of recipes. So far, so good, BUT, I have to watch the heavy veggies suggestions because I have IBS issues. I made some cabbage soup for a filler, but I found I can't have much of it or I have terribly bloating, gas, and severe pain. :glare:

That does limit what I can do.

I purchased the book (Primal Blueprint) and the cookbook last week. I haven't read all of it but have tried a couple of recipes. So far, so good, BUT, I have to watch the heavy veggies suggestions because I have IBS issues. I made some cabbage soup for a filler, but I found I can't have much of it or I have terribly bloating, gas, and severe pain. :glare:

That does limit what I can do.

I try to do one salad a day -- just a bowl of greens -- raw veggies or even steamed will bloat me and believe it or not, I must be the only person on the planet who gains weight on a raw diet. :glare:

Sometimes my greens are no more than some stalks of celery.

Good to know. I haven't lost on a raw diet either :glare: I felt better physically but no weight loss.

I can handle a decent size salad once a day, but a couple of cups of cabbage or broccoli or cauliflower and you really just need to leave me alone! :D

I try to do one salad a day -- just a bowl of greens -- raw veggies or even steamed will bloat me and believe it or not, I must be the only person on the planet who gains weight on a raw diet. :glare:

Can you tell me the difference between Primal and Paleo? I'm just learning about these/

Thanks!

I do primal, not paleo, too. It seems to me that primal is a bit less strict/more flexible ... for instance, I never quit dairy because I don't react badly to it, and that's fine on primal. Also, now that I've met my goal weight (and then some), I eat rice or potatoes a few times a week, and don't totally avoid sugar (I'm still gluten-free, though). A certain amount of "cheating" is okay with primal. Mark Sisson calls it the 80/20 rule. http://www.marksdailyapple.com is the best place to learn about Primal Blueprint.

I eat LC, but use a lot of Paleo and Primal principles. I'd say 90% of what I do overlaps with paleo/primal. I do use some dairy.

I've eaten this way for most of the last 8 years. I have PCOS and insulin resistance issues as a result. I am not overweight so it was not weight-loss focused, but I feel far better eating this way. I also went on to have two naturally conceived pregnancies after going through infertility treatments to have my oldest child. (regulating insulin often regulates other hormones for women with PCOS).

I can't overdo the fruit, dates, etc. at all because I'm too sensitive to the impact of all of that sugar. I do fine with small servings of berries, half an apple, etc. Bananas, dates, etc. are too high in sugar for me and I can feel the after effects.

I do some LC baking using erythritol and stevia along with almond flour. The erythritol is not paleo/primal but works better for me than sweetening baked goods with things like dates. I feel much less impact on my blood sugar.

...I had to google it because I'd never heard of it. WOW! Tons of recipes. I'm psyched.

:

Thanks for that great web sight! I had the Primal book already but started reading it while we were traveling to SC. The caveman stuff is rather silly, and I certainly hope that Ken Ham doesn't catch me reading it :lol:, but I know this type of eating will help me get my carb cravings under control. I started this morning, with the 'almost oatmeal' recipe from that site. Yum! I also bought the Kindle version of Eat Like a Dinosaur, and it is cute as a bug.

Edited by Blueridge

Thanks for that great web sight! I had the Primal book already but started reading it while we were traveling to SC. The caveman stuff is rather silly, and I certainly hope that Ken Ham doesn't catch me reading it :lol:, but I know this type of eating will help me get my carb cravings under control. I started this morning, with the 'almost oatmeal' recipe from that site. Yum! I also bought the Kindle version of Eat Like a Dinosaur, and it is cute as a bug.

You're welcome! How was the oatmeal.

The pancakes have me excited. I haven't had pancakes in years because of the diabetes but made with the nut flours sounds delicious!

The oatmeal was surprisingly tasty. :) Crunchy almond butter seems a little like the texture of oats. I was full all morning. Had some tuna salad for lunch, no crackers or bread, and tonight we're having grilled chicken breasts and broccoli. I am making some note cards with recipes from that site to plan some weekly meals. So far so good.

My ds & family came over last night and we chatted about our diabetic challenges. She's doing the whole Mayo Clinic Diabetic thingy. When I told her that I was doing no carbs she said, "Oh the Paleo Diet!"

I had to google it because I'd never heard of it. WOW! Tons of recipes. I'm psyched.

6 days into this no carb and I've lost 5 pounds. That's the most I've ever lost. I'm hoping for a 10 pound weigh loss for my 2-week check up so I can impress the doctor even if my numbers are falling into line. :tongue_smilie:

Dh started 3 weeks ago....lost 16 lbs!!! and his sugars have been under 99 for the last week!!!

I am going to try as well. I don't have as much weight to lose, but...I have lots of health issues that may be resolved this way.

Thanks for the recipe links....

Faithe

I eat LC, but use a lot of Paleo and Primal principles. I'd say 90% of what I do overlaps with paleo/primal. I do use some dairy.

:iagree: This is how I am too.

I have a strong family history of diabetes and heart disease and I put on weight rapidly if I eat many carbs. LC/paleo/primal keeps me at a good weight, helps keep my bloodwork numbers good and keeps my energy level up. :D

Dh started 3 weeks ago....lost 16 lbs!!! and his sugars have been under 99 for the last week!!!

I am going to try as well. I don't have as much weight to lose, but...I have lots of health issues that may be resolved this way.

Thanks for the recipe links....

Faithe

WOW, what great results!

How many days did it take for his numbers to get down. I've been doing this for 7 days and I've lost at least five pounds.

But my sugars are staying way too high still. I don't understand why when I'm eating less than 50 grams of carbs a day these numbers are staying high. I keep thinking that tomorrow I'll see better numbers....

I'm doing something paleo/primalish. I've been very happy with it! I feel good, I get plenty to eat, I'm never hungry, and I'm losing weight. My cravings for bread products are gone, though I still have some cravings for sweets. I've been doing it for about a month and have lost 13lbs, including a stall last week because I was traveling and eating relatively poorly.

The oatmeal was surprisingly tasty. :) Crunchy almond butter seems a little like the texture of oats. I was full all morning. Had some tuna salad for lunch, no crackers or bread, and tonight we're having grilled chicken breasts and broccoli. I am making some note cards with recipes from that site to plan some weekly meals. So far so good.

The No Potato Salad was delicious! I made it this weekend.

I didn't like the Avocado Devil's Eggs though. They turned really dark after being refrigerated despite the lemon juice. Tasted fine though. Just looked i n t e r e s t i n g.

p.s. I've lost 10 lbs! I've never had my weight loss equal my effort. :))

p.s. I've lost 10 lbs! I've never had my weight loss equal my effort. :))

:party: I have lost 4 1/2...but I cheated on Saturday. ;) I found this site and bought the discounted ebook and weekly meal plan this weekend. It has helped me a lot already. It's on sale today.

http://www.paleoplan.com/resources/quickstart-guide-and-paleo-challenge/

I am doing South Beach, which I believe is in the family of low carb diets. I have stayed very strictly on plan for one week and lost 5.5 lbs. Basically I've cut out all whites & sugar. Basic day goes like this: Breakfast = a protein + 1/2c veggie (V-8 counts); Lunch = protein + 2c veggies; Dinner = protein + 2c veggies; Snack = a protein or a veggie.

Best part for me, and helps me not be hungry: beans!! I add them to my salads, and have some at dinner. They count toward veggies and the keep me filled.

Dairy is also allowed, 2c a day, which I usually get via yogurt.

I am doing it for weight loss and for other health issues.

~coffee~

I don't have that problem on low carb with copious veggies. But, I'm a believer that a person *can*. I GAINED on a whole foods based, compliant weight watchers.