Menu

Do you purchase books for beginning readers?

alisoncooks

Or do you rely on the library until your children are out of the new reader stage?

Most books for beginning readers are just so....LACKING in value and content (other than reading for practice & fluency). I do *love* almost everything by Arnold Lobel (so I've bought ALL of his books), and I have the Nature Readers from CLP, as well as the Harriet Taylor Treadwell readers. We also have some very basic phonics readers (Fun Tales, which I think Sonlight uses, as well as the CLP phonics readers).

But for the most part, I feel like boycotting *purchasing* any more beginning readers. They just feel like too much fluff and clutter.

Anyone else simply rely on the library until your kiddos start reading "the good stuff"?

We relied on the library, for sure. Now I have a better collection because my friend goes thrift shopping for me and finds all kinds of good books (including many on the Sonlight lists). But I still use my library. We go on the same day every week, and we keep our library books in a wicker basket. Since we go regularly, I don't usually have late fees. I also utilize the hold system for those days when I don't think my toddler will be helpful. ;)

Both--I buy most of my children's "picture books" used---consignment, garage sale, library sales etc.

We do have a large collection of Dr Seuss (I use those for my beginner readers, moving them into the larger storybooks---Horton Hears A Who etc.) And we have a collection of Little Bear and Frog and Toad and Henry and Mudge. Those beloved series are so special to read together. I read them to my oldest, and then the next kid and now I'm reading them to the baby. It's nice to see my oldest read them aloud to his little sister. I think those books become cherished friends as the kids grow (especially Little Bear---my kids never get enough of those books).

As far as reading series such as the Step Into Reading, Ready To Read---I may buy one used if it looks interesting and fun for the kids, but honestly we never use them for reading instruction. The only exception is The Apple tree Farm books by Usbourne---my kids really like them.

I much prefer to start them with real children's literature.

I use the library and the ILL system for a lot of other books. Either way children need the experience of regular visits to a library imo.

Edited by Walking-Iris

My library has a book sale room, and children's paperbacks are 25 cents. I check in there every week and buy every early reader they have. Well, I do admit that I left Chipwrecked on the shelf! I would like to have a handy library that DD, and my other two kids when they're older, can pull from. And since the books are $5 each new and are read quickly and probably only once, I can't see buying very many new!

I have bought some, because my DD is eager to read "real books" and she values book ownership very highly.

I think we have 8 little first-level Step-Into-Reading books. I got them all from Amazon, new, but using the 4-for-3 deal they each cost $3. Our library has some, but with two more coming up (and them being in the destroyer stage currently), I figured it was worth the investment.

I also have all of the Little Bear stories, and I'll get Frog and Toad, the Frances books, and maybe a few Amelia Bedelia when she's ready for those. (Soon! Yikes!)

As far as reading series such as the Step Into Reading, Ready To Read---I may buy one used if it looks interesting and fun for the kids, but honestly we never use them for reading instruction. The only exception is The Apple tree Farm books by Usbourne---my kids really like them.

(see bolded above) Those are the type I'm talking about. I just can't bring myself to buy them. I have a good collection of Dr. Seuss, Little Bear, Frog & Toad (and other Lobel books)...and I will look into the Usbourne Farm books you mentioned. But other than that, I will have to rely on the library (which -- incidentally -- is having their spring book sale tomorrow. :D Great timing!)

(see bolded above) Those are the type I'm talking about. I just can't bring myself to buy them. I have a good collection of Dr. Seuss, Little Bear, Frog & Toad (and other Lobel books)...and I will look into the Usbourne Farm books you mentioned. But other than that, I will have to rely on the library (which -- incidentally -- is having their spring book sale tomorrow. :D Great timing!)

I get those at goodwill or some other such sale. We have Dr Suess, Frog and Toad, and a few Henry and Mudge so we use those. Our library doesn't have a very good selection of beginning readers.

the only books I will actually buy new or sort of new are reference books or books I will be keeping forever.

We mainly utilize the library. If there is one book that gets renewed more than 3 or 4 times I realize its's probably a keeper and will try and hunt one down for purchase. And when I do--- GOODWILL!!! You can get like new early readers for 50 cents. I picked up a nice new hardcover Jumanji book for $2.

I buy lots of early reader books! Any time I can find them cheap (25 cents - $1), I'll pick up a ton. And I'll sometimes let DD pick up a new one from Target or Barnes & Noble as a treat. I love the idea of her picking out books that _she'll_ read, I love her excitement at a new book. It doesn't bother me that they aren't "literature" -- anything that hits her at her level and helps her progress is just right by me.

We love: Nora Gaydos readers, Pathway Readers, and Christian Light Publication readers.

We also use the library, but really enjoy having these on the shelves to progress at our own pace and enjoy over and over again with each child.

We also buy grade levels ahead as read alouds for them (for Pathway and CLP).

I buy books all the time. I also get some from paperbackswap. We use our library a ton (we just checked out 40 children's books a few days ago), but I also like to just have books they enjoy on the shelves here at home. We have a good balance of "fluff" and other books though.

For the most part, I buy them. With four kids going through the beginning-to-read stage, one kid right after another, it's worth it to have our own collection. Our books end up looking well loved. :)

I've bought the Nora Gaydos early, early readers. I have Frog and Toad books - the kids love them. I plan to buy Cynthia Rylant books soon, because I think they look delightful (although they might be considered fluff). I have a handful of Step Into Reading books.

The only exception is The Apple tree Farm books by Usbourne---my kids really like them.

Thank you for this suggestion! Adding to my wish list...

Well, those little readers are essential to building fluency and confidence, IMO. DD's pretty much never met a book she didn't like, so she usually gets a kick out of the silly little stories in her phonics and sight word readers. Not sure how one would write a non-fluffy story when one is limited to certain words and sounds. I think what's important is that kids like to read what they're reading at that level. Fluency is built by reading below level, so if I didn't have a good stock of those little readers at home, there would be nothing for DD to pick up and read on her own.

IMO those kinds of books aren't terribly necessary. So I wouldn't spend too much money on them. My oldest read a few books like that when he was learning to read---a Blue's Clues book, some based on movies like Nemo. And we do have a collection of Nora Gaydos and some Fisher Price phonics books. I picked up for 50 cents a stack of Clifford phonics books for my 4 year old. I keep them around since I have a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old.

But honestly they do pass those levels really quick. I have a few non-fiction Step Into Reading chapter books---dinosaurs, tigers, bugs or something. I thought my older ds would enjoy them---nope.

I find a big solid collection of Beginner Books by Seuss and other authors to be wonderful at this age.

And as a pp said---I would not ever consider Cynthia Rylant to be fluff. Henry and Mudge and Mr. Putter and Tabby are delightful---and wonderful as read alouds to the toddler/prekinder set. She's also written some books for young adults.

Edited by Walking-Iris

Hi all,

I am currently at a place where I couldn't find English books so could I get these online free on my laptop.

My Literary Selections:

Box car children

Runaway Ralph

Velveteen Rabbit

The mouse and the motorcycle

The trumpet of the swan

Mr.Popper's Penguin

The little's

Romana stories

Rabbit Hill

Courage of Sarah Noble

Stuart Little

Charlotte's Web

Pippi Longstockings

The cricket in Time Square

Little house in the Prairie

Heidi

Pollyana

The lion,the witch and the wardrobe

Peter Pan

The Railway Children

Aesop for Children

Little House in the Big Woods

Are these available on kindlefire for free and could I get them free on blackberry playbook?

Places for buying these used in Canada?

pls. reply anyone.................

I have three boys who were fairly early readers and read a lot. I find that in-between stage to be the hardest to find quality books at the library. They may be there, but they are hard to find. I've bought a HUGE collection of leveled readers that are either non-fiction or charming fiction. That collection has been read, re-read, and read again (and again) by all three of my boys. And now I have a daughter who will enjoy them in a few years. Having our own collection has been a huge benefit for us. I just posted a long list of titles on my blog if anyone is interested.

Hi all,

I am currently at a place where I couldn't find English books so could I get these online free on my laptop.

My Literary Selections:

Box car children

Runaway Ralph

The mouse and the motorcycle

The trumpet of the swan

Mr.Popper's Penguin

Romana stories

Rabbit Hill

Courage of Sarah Noble

Stuart Little

Charlotte's Web

The cricket in Time Square

Little house in the Prairie

The lion,the witch and the wardrobe

The Railway Children

Little House in the Big Woods

I am pretty sure all the books listed above are not online for free. They are still under copywrite.

Here is Aesop http://diyhomeschooler.com/milo-winters-aesop-fables-free-ebook/

I don't have a Kindle, but I know I can go to the shopping section and my Nook and find books that are free.