Menu

S/O Circe/Classical Ed: Deliberate Literature Studies....

Another Lynn

I'm thinking specifically about some of the studies that 8FilltheHeart has described.... her Anne of Green Gables study, a year of C.S. Lewis, Inception, etc.... Can we brain storm some ideas for Literature studies like these.... where a particular topic or work of literature leads you to other works of literature and discussion of related ideas? And feel free to say what general age/grade level you think it would work well for.

I'm thinking specifically about some of the studies that 8FilltheHeart has described.... her Anne of Green Gables study, a year of C.S. Lewis, Inception, etc.... Can we brain storm some ideas for Literature studies like these.... where a particular topic or work of literature leads you to other works of literature and discussion of related ideas? And feel free to say what general age/grade level you think it would work well for.

One place to start is w/annotated editions like these:

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/book-template.aspx?ser=The+Annotated+Books&currentpage=1&lastpage=4

This is definitely not a complete list by any stretch (but is more discriminating than this search at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=annotated+children%27s+literature&x=10&y=17#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=annotated+children%27s+classics&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Aannotated+children%27s+classics

Anyway, it is an easy way to go about it to find your "feet."

Do you read, for instance, a chapter, and then do the extra reading/discussion/activities whatever rabbit trails related to that chapter ? Or you try to limit the rabbit trails so that they don't distract you from the 'main book' ? How do you balance the two ?

Do you think it's appropriate to start doing fairy tales w/ a 10 yo boy and 8 yo girl ? They already know quite a lot because I made them read vintage readers, and those readers are full of folk stories and fairy tales.

Thanks.

Do you read, for instance, a chapter, and then do the extra reading/discussion/activities whatever rabbit trails related to that chapter ? Or you try to limit the rabbit trails so that they don't distract you from the 'main book' ? How do you balance the two ?

Do you think it's appropriate to start doing fairy tales w/ a 10 yo boy and 8 yo girl ? They already know quite a lot because I made them read vintage readers, and those readers are full of folk stories and fairy tales.

Thanks.

I'm starting with the fairy tales (yellow book) even with my 12 yo.

Thank you! I'm wanting to put together a study on Anne of Green Gables that incorporates Canadian history/culture. My dd11 is wanting to learn more about Canada. I think we'll start with The Annotated AGG.

I love the idea of the annotated classics- LOVE!

Here is my question- oldest DS will read ANYTHING I leave laying around. He is also a very independent learner- though I keep "making" him learn from me, too.

What do I do about this? (And I am not being cheeky- I promise).

Would it be OK for him to read the annotated versions on his own in addition to our going through them together? I feel like I would both be gaining and losing something at the same time.

Thoughts, please.

I love the idea of the annotated classics- LOVE!

Here is my question- oldest DS will read ANYTHING I leave laying around. He is also a very independent learner- though I keep "making" him learn from me, too.

What do I do about this? (And I am not being cheeky- I promise).

Would it be OK for him to read the annotated versions on his own in addition to our going through them together? I feel like I would both be gaining and losing something at the same time.

Thoughts, please.

How old is he? Would he be receptive to you sharing a read aloud with him? It might be easier to discuss casually/naturally if you're reading it aloud together.

He is 11. He loves for me to read aloud (thankfully) and he enjoys deep conversations. But, if I bring a book into the house, he wants to read it! He respects me when I tell him not to, but I do not know if it makes sense to tell him not to read an annotated version. Does that make sense?

I was just talking about this on another thread....but, we had an awesome 2 years reading books that became Disney movies....and comparing/contrasting, studying the places and historical context of the stories, laughing and loving Mary Poppins, who was SO mean, etc.

These books are all classics that WD took, rewrote and made for screen, but the original stories are there for us to enjoy.

Faithe

eTA...some of these are definitely for more mature audiences, such as The Once & Future King (King Arthur).

I was just talking about this on another thread....but, we had an awesome 2 years reading books that became Disney movies....and comparing/contrasting, studying the places and historical context of the stories, laughing and loving Mary Poppins, who was SO mean, etc.

These books are all classics that WD took, rewrote and made for screen, but the original stories are there for us to enjoy.

Faithe

eTA...some of these are definitely for more mature audiences, such as The Once & Future King (King Arthur).

We've been doing this. Here I thought I had an original idea.:tongue_smilie: We've just been doing it for " fun" and not technically school. We have done the Fairytales-Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid. We read several versions and sometimes different cultural takes. Then we talked about how the Disney film changed it. Not on a high literary plane but why and was it better or worse. We're almost done with The Jungle Book now. I've got Bambi, Pinnochio and Alice in the wings. Maybe I should take this more seriously and really develop it.

We've been doing this. Here I thought I had an original idea.:tongue_smilie: We've just been doing it for " fun" and not technically school. We have done the Fairytales-Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid. We read several versions and sometimes different cultural takes. Then we talked about how the Disney film changed it. Not on a high literary plane but why and was it better or worse. We're almost done with The Jungle Book now. I've got Bambi, Pinnochio and Alice in the wings. Maybe I should take this more seriously and really develop it.

My kids LOVED Mary Poppins and there is a series of those. she was deliciously mean:D

Faithe

Thanks for these links. I didn't even know that these existed until now.

I did think of an intriguing way to approach a lit study (though, ironically, the books themselves are not "great" books. My ds actually developed his love for reading via the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica http://www.heretherebedragons.net/ The books are written in allusions to the great books and their authors.

Thanks! These look interesting!

Ok, I just got a *bunch* of these annotated volumes from the library. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with them! :tongue_smilie:

Do you pre-read the annotations, and then just toss them in casually as you are reading with your dc? Do you read them "during" the chapter? Before? After? Skip them unless they bring up interesting discussion points?

I feel like there is something . . . just . . . at the tip . . . of my fingers, but I'm not *quite* grasping it. :confused:

Ok, I just got a *bunch* of these annotated volumes from the library. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with them! :tongue_smilie:

Do you pre-read the annotations, and then just toss them in casually as you are reading with your dc? Do you read them "during" the chapter? Before? After? Skip them unless they bring up interesting discussion points?

I feel like there is something . . . just . . . at the tip . . . of my fingers, but I'm not *quite* grasping it. :confused:

:bigear:

The way I do it is I go through the annotations and look specifically for allusions to other literature. For example, the annotated Anne has notes on all the poetry, plays, speeches, novels, etc that Anne alludes to. Then I sift through those and decide which ones we want to include in full and which we might want to cover brief selections. (for example, in the chapter dd is cover this week there is an allusion to Alexander Pope and his Essay on Criticism. We are not going to read the Essay in full, however, we will read a significant portion as well as The Rape of the Lock. ETA: I forgot that we read Maidenhood by Longfellow on Monday b/c of the allusion to Where the brook and river meet. Also, we are finishing Marmion tomorrow. Dd told me today that she wants to keep reading poetry like Lady of the Lake and Marmion all summer b/c she loves it so much.) B/c of the approach we are taking (spending so much time on all the other lit, only 1 chapter of Anne is actually read/wk. (dd had already read Anne, so this is actually a re-read for her and she is getting so much more out of it now that she understands "Anne speak."

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I see, so you are mostly using the annotated volumes to help bring in other literary material to enrich the literature study, and lead you down other interesting literary paths? Not so much to add background to the current story?

Perhaps part of my problem is that I've been reading the Annotated Alice, and that is a quirky, weird book to start with! So I wasn't sure how many of the annotation's "rabbit holes" (hee hee) would actually help us with the story. So far there was a long discussion of the physics of freefalling, and Carroll's prediliction for the company of little girls. I was having trouble figuring out how either of those would fit into our lit discussion. ;)

Hmmm. I will go look at some of the other volumes and see if it becomes more clear.

I have the Annotated Anne and Anne's Anthology, so I've been looking thru them, thinking I want to start this Mon with dd. But I have a question or two about other ppl have done it. Do you read a chapter of AGG first, and then explore the poetry? When you chase down trails like poems, do you just read the poems and move on, or do do more research/studying/analyzing of the poems? Do you reread the chapter of AGG after chasing down the trails so then they get the allusions? Do you kust do the trails first and then read the chapter?

I'm just looking at the first chapter, noting things that could be possibilities to study, and I have Evelyn Hope, The Brook (and Maidenhood), geography, orphans/orphanages, fishing industry. Which seems like a lot....

And do you really read the whole thing of Marmion?? I think I might skip that one, at least the first time around, lol.