Menu

The Second Generation Homeschooling Movement. UGH! Not Again!

Hunter

I have the bad habit of getting used to using certain phrases and signatures, and before I know it, somebody comes along and publishes a book or something, using the phrase. I feel like I have to stop using it, then.

It's kind of cool to see someone else validating that I was on a valid path, and going viral with something I believe, but...

Here we go again. I really did come up with the term 1st generation homeschooler on my own. You were all here to see it develop in one of my Sunday prompts, awhile back.

Now I feel like I need to stop using the phrase. Sigh! Or maybe I need to get over my pride of not wanting to look like a copy cat or a wannabe or...I'm not sure what.

Anyway, here is a link :-0 http://www.homeschoolalumni.org/articles/articles_view.php?id=17

I guess it's time to come up with a new original idea to discuss. But...that's what Sunday Prompts are for :-)

But before Sunday, does anyone want to talk about second generation homeschooling?

I think he makes a LOT of assumptions about homeschoolers and Christian homeschoolers in particular in the article.

"A return to patriarchy?" huh? :001_huh: The word implies so many negative things that those of us who do have a home where Dad leads, mom stays home with the kids, and we raise our children in the Word end up being fearful of being lumped with a movement. It's just what we have chosen because it is right, not because we want a "patriarchal household." :tongue_smilie:

I could really go through and pick at this article but I don't have time right now. Even so, I will be watching this thread. :lurk5:

Yet another article claiming that homeschooling and courtship is the magic formula to great marriages and obedient kids. I dislike the way Vision Forum, Bill Gothard, and other patriarchal people (like this author) think God promises to fix all our problems if only we keep our kids away from all those evil public schoolers. And don't forget our "Christian" duty to work towards a theocracy.

It is weird to me that he reference a speaker who said homeschooling and church splits went together. I've been part of two horrible church upsets (at 2 different churches) and neither church had homeschooling families. And my kids were pre-school age at the time.

I didn't read the article, but I do believe that as time passes such phrases would just be instinctual terms to use. As the homeshooling movement continues to move forward, I think it's a natural term for those involved to use to distinguish generational changes. I think we will see more and more as the homeschool movement changes and becomes more wide spread and less stereotyped as unusual.

I have the bad habit of getting used to using certain phrases and signatures, and before I know it, somebody comes along and publishes a book or something, using the phrase. I feel like I have to stop using it, then.

It's kind of cool to see someone else validating that I was on a valid path, and going viral with something I believe, but...

Here we go again. I really did come up with the term 1st generation homeschooler on my own. You were all here to see it develop in one of my Sunday prompts, awhile back.

Now I feel like I need to stop using the phrase. Sigh! Or maybe I need to get over my pride of not wanting to look like a copy cat or a wannabe or...I'm not sure what.

Anyway, here is a link :-0 http://www.homeschoolalumni.org/articles/articles_view.php?id=17

I guess it's time to come up with a new original idea to discuss. But...that's what Sunday Prompts are for :-)

But before Sunday, does anyone want to talk about second generation homeschooling?

I don't see what is original about the phrase "first generation homeschooler". After all, we are talking about "first generation immigrants", "first generation college students" etc. It is a very logical term for describing... well, first generation homeschoolers. What else would one call them if the focus is on this particular aspect, a parent homeschooling who herself has attended a brick&mortar school?

ETA: I briefly looked through the article... there are so many things about it that irritate me that I do not even want to comment. Conservative Christians do not have the monopoly on homeschooling, and not all second generation homeschoolers fall into that category, and it is entirely possible to have a family culture even if one chooses not to homeschool. Arg.

Edited by regentrude

I think a lot of phrases are instinctual and others are quotes that have been around for millennia, but when someone starts using a phrase or quote to base a book or "movement" on, people start to associate a lot connected to that phrase. If I have been using the phrase a LOT or had the quote as part of my signature, I often feel like I need to change how I am using the phrase or quote, because I don't want to be connected so strongly with that "movement" philosophy or whatever.

I can't be the only one that this has been happening to. Certain things have become known as TJE and they are things people have been saying instinctually for a LONG time, but I'll bet there are people here, who have modified their phrasing to avoid being associated with TJE.

And just want to make clear that I don't have any strong opinions about the article writer's personal interpretation of 2nd generation homeschoolers. I was just bringing up that someone is now making a profit off this phrase. And that this is a topic that we have discussed here in relationship to classical homeschooling, before any of us became aware of the sale of discussion about this "movement".

And I'm talking in circles and don't even really know what I'm saying, if I'm honest with myself. Sometimes I post mish mash, cause...I'm one of those people that learns best with the "write to learn" approach. I figure out stuff by attempting to turn my mish mash into text. So don't take anything I'm saying all that seriously, because I'm not :-0

I don't see what is original about the phrase "first generation homeschooler". After all, we are talking about "first generation immigrants", "first generation college students" etc. It is a very logical term for describing... well, first generation homeschoolers. What else would one call them if the focus is on this particular aspect, a parent homeschooling who herself has attended a brick&mortar school?

I agree. I've been calling myself a second generation homeschooler since we made the decision to homeschool about ten years ago, as did others in the same shoes. The first generation homeschoolers in my circle described themselves as such when the topic came up. This was long before I knew TWTM forum existed.

I didn't finish the article, though. There are better things to spend my morning coffee break on. :tongue_smilie:

I think he makes a LOT of assumptions about homeschoolers and Christian homeschoolers in particular in the article.

"A return to patriarchy?" huh? :001_huh: The word implies so many negative things that those of us who do have a home where Dad leads, mom stays home with the kids, and we raise our children in the Word end up being fearful of being lumped with a movement. It's just what we have chosen because it is right, not because we want a "patriarchal household." :tongue_smilie:

I could really go through and pick at this article but I don't have time right now. Even so, I will be watching this thread. :lurk5:

:iagree:

Yet another article claiming that homeschooling and courtship is the magic formula to great marriages and obedient kids. I dislike the way Vision Forum, Bill Gothard, and other patriarchal people (like this author) think God promises to fix all our problems if only we keep our kids away from all those evil public schoolers. And don't forget our "Christian" duty to work towards a theocracy.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I really hope "Second Generation Homeschooler" doesn't become a phrase that means more than it literally means (like "well-trained mind" or "Thomas Jefferson education") because I AM a second generation homeschooler and I do not agree with a thing on that website. Also, I think my dad would be amused and disturbed if someone thought that because he's a first generation homeschooler he's a biblical reconstructionist. Now I need to go Google to check and see if "biblical reconstructionist" means something besides "person who attempts to reconstruct the world according to the Bible".

I am a second-generation homeschooler. I actually went to hear this author speak (with his mother) at a conference many years ago with my parents. And now one of my best friends is married to his brother-in-law (so I spent some time with his family at the wedding)! Weird. Anyway, I just glanced through the article so I wouldn't get too upset. ;) I can relate to the "knee-jerk reaction" part, because I totally struggle with that. I was brought up in a patriarchal, courtship-or-nothing, conservative (dress like Laura Ingalls Wilder) Christian home. I have been tempted many times to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and just reject *everything* I grew up with. But I truly believe in homeschooling, just not the way my parents did it.

Anyway, anything with the word patriarchy in it makes me want to be sick, and I don't like being associated with the kind of homeschoolers which Mr. Wayne is talking about. We are Christian, but don't subscribe to the idea that public schools are all evil, or that courtship is the way to a great marriage, etc, etc.

Laura

Maybe that author thinks he's a "second generation homeschooler," but I think he's really just the second generation *in his vertical family line* to homeschool his kids. Sure, there was a sweep of conservative/Christian/patriarchal homeschoolers in the late 70s/early 80s (my mother took us to a church full of them - as the only single Mom, who also had teenagers as opposed to just little kids like the rest of the families had, she was the oddball and she knew it), but they are definitely not the second generation ever to homeschool. There were many before them. I used to read about these 60s/70s homeschoolers, in my book-search for a homeschooling road that resonated with me.

That article struck me as quite arrogant.

I just also wanted to say that my OP was about the PATTERN I am noticing in my reactions, not so much about THIS phrase, if you know what I mean. I keep finding myself feeling like I need to CHANGE what I am doing, because of what someone else is doing, and even if it's crazy, I end out feeling resentful :-0 I need to keep doing what I was already doing and not care what others think, or switch up a little more gracefully. I still have a LOT of work to do on myself. Sigh! But...this is where I am at in reality.

But, I would hate to see "first generation" and "second generation" terms be so heavily linked to this "movement" that anyone using them is assumed to be meaning what is in that article. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the article, just that it is a narrow view, that doesn't speak of the wider group that I have been using those terms for.

I sincerely doubt my homeschooling family has much, if anything in common with this dude. Return to patriarchy? Hardly. Homeschooling is not about religion or a certain brand of Christianity and it sure as heck is not about sexism. It's about what is best for a child's education and for many people that may have zip zilch nada to do religion. And even less to do with how a family divides up the labor needed to run a home.

This is a silly thing to get bothered about. It is a common term that logically springs to mind & tongue when you are homeschooling, after having been homeschooled yourself.

Perhaps you mean it in a different way, or had a long post about your thoughts on 2nd gen homeschooling, but it's not your term.

:grouphug: I don't like feeling like a fish floating down stream with the others too. While I've never really used the term First Generation Homeschooler much, I've always referred to my kids as 2nd Generation {or Second Gen.} homeschoolers. They know why, and it was funny the day they presumed their father & grandparents were simply homeschooled too. So we had to set the record straight. Made for a good laugh for us. ;)

This is a silly thing to get bothered about. It is a common term that logically springs to mind & tongue when you are homeschooling, after having been homeschooled yourself.

Perhaps you mean it in a different way, or had a long post about your thoughts on 2nd gen homeschooling, but it's not your term.

I agree. It's not my term. But I was using it a LOT in a way very DIFFERENT from the way it is being used by this fairly well known speaker.

I don't transition all that well. I don't like being rerouted. It's something I need to work on.

And as I said, it's not about this PHRASE, that made me knee-jerk today. It was the realization of a PATTERN that I first saw today, that made me yell, "Not again!" It was just the little tiny straw that broke the camel's back. I self-professing silly, shallow camel, that knows she is wrong.

I just am tired of feeling rerouted in my use of phrases, as they get adopted narrowly by someone making money off of them.

Okay, I know I am silly and shallow, but I don't believe I am the ONLY person here to EVER stop using a phrase or quote after it became the theme of a book or lecture series or whatever. And to feel something negative about that change in behavior.

Or maybe I am way more silly and shallow than I thought, and arrogant enough to think other sometimes feel this way :-) If I am, someone please pray for me!

:grouphug: I don't like feeling like a fish floating down stream with the others too. While I've never really used the term First Generation Homeschooler much, I've always referred to my kids as 2nd Generation {or Second Gen.} homeschoolers. They know why, and it was funny the day they presumed their father & grandparents were simply homeschooled too. So we had to set the record straight. Made for a good laugh for us. ;)

Oh, that is TOO cute. I love it! :-)