Menu

What's it like in Seattle, WA? Homechooling and otherwise

DH asked me last night how I feel about Seattle. He found a job that he wants to apply for. I'm trying to be the supportive spouse and told him to send in his resume. I also said that we could go buy milk form Colleen and Hans. (Colleen may not be anywhere near Seattle, but isn't she in WA state?)

Homeschooling - easy? Hard? Lots of people or only a few? how much for music lessons? Co-ops?

Area - house prices for what size? weather? how much snow? How hot is average for the summer? how much for gas? Milk? Recreation - dh bikes in the woods (I hesitate to say mountain biking b/c there are no mountains here.), I run, kids play soccer and basketball through a church league. Good suburbs? commute (how is traffic at rush hour)?

I'm putting all these questions b/c when people want to know about Raleigh, NC I don't know if I'm putting enough info or too little. These are things I'd be interested in knowing.

Thanks!

We're also thinking of moving to Seattle. I picked up the Newcomer's Handbook for Moving to and Living in Seattle and it's been good. There is lots of helpful information in it about almost everything you can think of.

Housing is turning out to be the biggest problem for us. We've never had such a difficult time finding affordable, safe, and quiet housing in a location that works for us, and we've moved a lot. I also keep hearing that the traffic is truly awful. And it appears that homeschooling is more regulated than we're used to, but I've only homeschooled in states/countries with absolutely no requirements. I am looking foward to the weather and the recreation.

Anyway, not very helpful, so I hope someone else contributes here!

I don't know much about homeschooling in Seattle but I can tell you that it is a wonderful city! You're close to the ocean, mountains, and Canada. The restaurants are excellent (especially if you like seafood) and there are a lot of fun things to do there. On the downside, traffic is bad and housing is very expensive. All in all, it is a great place to live!

Homeschooling in Washington is pretty easy with regard to restrictions, compared to other places, I think. This is a link to one of our state groups.http://www.washhomeschool.org/whoAboutHomeschooling.html In Washington we are required to do a few things, turn in your letter of intent to the Office of the Superintendent of the school district you live in by Sept. 15, or two weeks from the start of a semester after age 8, annual standardized testing or assessment. This goes in your own records not to anyone else, also done after age 8. Keep a copy of immunization. School for 180 days, but that is considered flexible due to the "experimental" nature of homeschooling.

We are a big recreational place in the Seattle area, you will find just about anything you like to do here. Lot's of homeschoolers here as well as co-ops.

Housing tends to run high especially the closer you live to the metropolitan areas. Rain and clouds in the Fall-Spring. Usually summers are pretty mild. Mid 70's. Snow is a news event here, that's as often as it happens. Two inches and schools could close, and the city shuts down.;) Great neighbor hoods.

Commutes depend on which direction and what time you are headed. Anything in the Seattle-Tacoma corridor is not fun in rush hour. However mass transit is pretty good. Gas has been around 4.25 or so.

I have lived in the Northwest all my life and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.:D

HTH and doesn't scare you off!

These are the three main Washington homeschool organizations. WHO (Washington Homeschool Orginization)http://www.washhomeschool.org/index.html , WATCH (Washington Association of Teaching Christian Homes) http://www.watchhome.org/site/ , Christian Heritage Home Educators of Washington http://www.christianheritageonline.org/. There are also the local groups, depending were you live.

I live across the Puget Sound, West of Seattle. Seattle is very expensive housing-wise. But, if you lived here, you'd have the commute across the Sound by ferry which adds expense and time. But actually, it's an hour ferry ride from here to Seattle, a time you can use for whatever you feel would better yourself--catching up on e-mails if you have a laptop, catching up on work, sleeping, eating and reading the paper....whatever "floats your boat!" ;)

I LOVE it here! For those who like sun and sunbathing and hot weather, this would not be a good place. But it's gorgeous! It's the "Little Switzerland" of the US, and has the only US fjords! Even from where we are, west of Seattle, it's about a 2-3 hour drive to the ocean. From where we live, we can see mountains all around us, and trees, and hear birds singing....it's just gorgeous, and healthier than in the city living!

Prices over here are cheaper than Seattle, but they're much higher than they were even 5 years ago! Washington has no income tax, but it does have a higher sales tax, and gasoline tax.

Homeschooling is EASY here! You need to take a test yearly (which is easy) and fill out a Intent to Homeschool form, and go 180 days. I never worry about the amount of days, cuz we get that many in with no problem. The Intent to Homeschool, at least where I live, is this: Fill out your childrens' names and grad, sign the form. That's it.

I have to go, I'm sure others will write more, and have the EXACT hsing laws...

If your husband enjoys mountain biking, perhaps he'd enjoy biking to work? When you're looking for homes, it would be worthwhile to consider bike and bus routes. Some buses have room for a couple of bikes on a bike rack, so if you live in Seattle, but your husband works on the Eastside, he could put his bike on the bus to get across the Lake (Washington).

My husband commutes to work by biking when it isn't pouring rain, then taking the bus otherwise. Many companies have shower facilities in their building or negotiations with local gyms.

So far it sounds wonderful for dh. I can just wear more clothes. He is very warm natured and hates our summers. Every year he says he wants to move.

I have to share this: It was last night that he brought this up while we had friends over for dinner. After I said dh should send in his resume, the female half of the couple said "I think we'd have to cut down our visits to once a year." :tongue_smilie: We try to get together once a month.

If we had the opportunity to move there, and could afford to do so, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

:iagree:

I've never lived out there, but dh & I have have visited quite a few times (when he's been on business trips). We love it there & have spent quite a bit of time driving around all the different areas, dreaming about moving there, we even have done a little bit of house-hunting, etc.... There are many lovely areas, I love the 'vibe' of the area (happy, relaxed, smart). You have the water & the mountains (and unbeatable combo, imo). I love it for the trees (I would miss tress if I ever had to move to an area where there are not trees), the humidity (I'm from the southeastern US & dry climates are really hard on me), and the proximity of both the mountains & the water.

My dh relishes the weather. I could adjust just fine, even though I'm used to hotter climates. Our dc would probably flourish in that climate, as they're both more like dh & less able to stand the heat where we live.

The biggest factor for us is cost (home pricing, mainly, though overall prices seem higher out there than here -- 'here' being the southeastern US).

But, it's definitely our dream to get out there. We actually talk about it fairly often.

So, no practical advice, but I think you wouldn't be disappointed there. The few people I've ever known who have lived there love it, and it's really just a wonderful area.

Can you guys manage to take a trip out there? I bet you'd fall in love with it! :001_smile:

we were in Redmond(east suburb of Seattle) for almost 4 years. I begged to come back to NC(family is here) when pregnant with #2 and it all worked out for that to happen. Of course the longer version explains why we are in VA now.

But anyhow, we loved Seattle. And would go back if we could sell our home now...

Housing: having lived in Raleigh on 3 different occassions I know what you have in Cary and well, Seattle will shock you. Even out in the suburbs it can be so expensive. I was shocked at all the split level homes being built!!!! And many have no air. You don't need it but a few days every summer but having been raised in the south I believe in having air conditioning! But the prices are much higher and the attitude there just expects to pay a lot and all our friends were paying 50% of the income to housing and not the '35%' I was raised to think.

We had younger kids when we lived there so I have no clue on the homeschooling.

Oh and traffic. there is a lot of traffic. I actually used the bus system when living there!

It's a wonderful place and now I wish we had stayed. And it's cheaper from Charlotte to Seattle to fly than it is these days to drive with gas prices, LOL. my family would kill us to move back but we would :-)

Don't forget the weather.... Just ask Patricia in WA. I hear it takes some getting used to. I know my dh who would love all the mountains (he's a climber) would be on light therapy due to the lack of sun. He is no sunbather but just the lack of overall sunlight would kill him. :sad:

I've lived here all my life and I'm really beginning to feel like "this is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here"!

I live in Seattle...not a suburb. Houses are expensive. Many growing families that I know are adding onto their homes rather than trying to find a bigger place.

If you wanted to commute into Seattle from the East Side (across Lake Washington) you need to keep in mind that one of the bridges (the "520") needs to be replaced and there's talk of using tolls to help pay for it.

Last night our local news reported that the police are investigating a sexual assault at one of our middle schools...the attacker used a toy gun in the attack in a school bathroom. I pray daily that I can homeschool my dc all through school because I don't think a private school would take them and I would be afraid for their safety in a public school given their vulnerablities.

I've lived in our current neighborhood for almost 16 years, and problems like grafitti, drug houses, etc. have definitely increased and there was a gang-related shooting at the nearby mall in the last year.

Yes, there are many good things to do and see around here, both natural and cultural. Homeschooling: the school part is easy! But you want to make sure that you can find and afford the kind of home in an area you want to live in. And be sure to consider how much time your dh is willing to spend in rush hour traffic. You could take a look at this real estate website (http://www.windermere.com) to see what's available in and around the city.

And FWIW, I just paid $3.99 for a half-gallon of Organic Valley milk...can't say whether or not it came from one of Colleen's cows, though!

well I liked it. :-) I hate summer. I hate sweating in the humidity.

I loved the overcast days. I didn't mind the sprinkling rain.

I will say we are outdoorsy people though and skied all winter and rode bikes/rollerbladed/walked in the summer. Dh rode his bike to work year round.

So yes, the darkness at 4pm in winter can be weird but sunlight at 9:30pm in summer ROCKS!!! Just know summer starts after July 4th and the rain come in by October :-)

In Seattle (within the city limits) there aren't a lot of homeschoolers. But the percentage of kids for a city of this size is very low, so it's no surprise that fewer kids = fewer homeschoolers. We have an active homeschool group of 100+ familes. If you live in the suburbs, you'll find more kids and more homeschooling families, and co-ops. I don't know of any co-ops in the city.

Houses in the city are costly. Older two-bedroom houses, maybe 1200 square feet, for $500,000+ are not uncommon, though costs depend on neighborhoods. Newer townhouses go for $350,000+ and many have 3 bedrooms. I don't know the housing situation for the suburbs, or for surrounding cities.

Typical summers are 70's with some days in the 80's and some in the 60's. It can rain anytime but not as often in July-September. Winters are cool and rainy, with a little snow most years. We are far enough north that summer days are long, and so are winter nights. It's rarely hot for a long enough stretch that you'd need an air conditioner for your home, but some newer houses might have them.

Gas is around $4.35 for the cheapest grade, diesel is $4.99, and organic milk is $5-6.50 a gallon.

Music lessons -- depending on traditional or Suzuki and the demand for the particular teacher, many people I know pay $30-75 for a half hour lesson.

Commutes can be long. From downtown Seattle to in-city neighborhoods on the express bus at rush hour, can easily take 45 minutes. Driving from Seattle to suburban work sites can take a lot longer.

There are a lot of great recreation opportunities. The city has indoor pools that have lessons and public swim sessions year round. There are sports leagues for soccer, baseball, etc. We have a lot of parks, some with trails, and the city is located on Puget Sound so loads of beaches too. Kind of cold to swim in the Sound though! There are loads of places to run here. Most of the city has sidewalks and many major streets have bike lanes. Plenty of folks bicycle to work.

"Real" hiking will involve a drive, perhaps an hour + from most parts of the city.

My husband commuted by bus to downtown when he worked downtown. There is a lot more to the Seattle Area than just Seattle itself. Could you come visit the area and see if it is something you like. We love living here, we have an acre out East of Seattle and it is peaceful and we have a lot of wonderful homeschooling friends. It is very green, we have beautiful mountains and hikes, lots of different lakes and rivers. I remember one point where we were considering moving to Bend Oregon and we realized that we aren't High Desert people, we want the green plants and gardens etc. that are on the western side. If you are city people, I cannot really help. I like to go into the city but I wouldn't want to live there. When we moved back up to the Seattle area we looked all over before settling in our new home. We feel like the people here where we live are very down home great people. The housing market is down right now. There are houses in my area that have been sitting for a year. I'm not sure what your price category is. You can look on Zillow since they did adjust their prices to be more realistic.:auto:

Commutes can be long. From downtown Seattle to in-city neighborhoods on the express bus at rush hour, can easily take 45 minutes. Driving from Seattle to suburban work sites can take a lot longer.

This website has lots of commuter information, real-time traffic cameras, etc. (http://www.wsdot.wa.gov) Also, when my dh and I have looked at houses in the suburbs we always try to find someone walking a dog, washing a car, or something and ask about how the commute into the city is because obviously the real estate agent is going to paint a rosier picture!

And FWIW, I just paid $3.99 for a half-gallon of Organic Valley milk...can't say whether or not it came from one of Colleen's cows, though!

A lot of the half gallons right now have a (really bad) sketch of us on the side, along with our story.:) Thanks for buying Organic Valley!

DH asked me last night how I feel about Seattle. He found a job that he wants to apply for. I'm trying to be the supportive spouse and told him to send in his resume. I also said that we could go buy milk form Colleen and Hans. (Colleen may not be anywhere near Seattle, but isn't she in WA state?)

Well, yeah, if that isn't reason to move across the country, what is?:D I'm a couple of hours north of Seattle, btw, right up on the WA-Canada border.

Others have done a pretty thorough job of answering you, and I concur with much of what's been said. Homeschooling in WA is very easy. Weather is mild. Cost of living is painful and traffic anywhere along the I-5 corridor is a nightmare. Seattle's changed a lot since I was growing up. It used to be much funkier, more unique. Western WA in general has lost a lot of its character. Of course, you wouldn't feel that way because the Seattle of 2008 would be your only reality.:)

Don't get me wrong. This is a wonderful corner of the world. I just wish it weren't so overrun now. I'm so glad I live up north here, but this area's filling up, too, as Canadians build here. And believe it or not, some people even commute the two hours from here down to Seattle.

The outdoor playground is definitely a paradise. Have you ever looked at my photo blog, Ski to Sea? http://www.colleen365.blogspot.com None of the recent pics (like, um, the German ashtray, LOL) are particularly interesting, but if you scan through there you can get a taste of the beauty that is the Western WA, especially from last summer's pics. Very few places in the world offer the opportunity we have to drive a bit in one direction and ski on a volcanic mountain ~ or a bit in the other direction and kayak the waters where those Cascade foothills meet the sea.

Well, yeah, if that isn't reason to move across the country, what is?:D I'm a couple of hours north of Seattle, btw, right up on the WA-Canada border.

Others have done a pretty thorough job of answering you, and I concur with much of what's been said. Homeschooling in WA is very easy. Weather is mild. Cost of living is painful and traffic anywhere along the I-5 corridor is a nightmare. Seattle's changed a lot since I was growing up. It used to be much funkier, more unique. Western WA in general has lost a lot of its character. Of course, you wouldn't feel that way because the Seattle of 2008 would be your only reality.:)

Don't get me wrong. This is a wonderful corner of the world. I just wish it weren't so overrun now. I'm so glad I live up north here, but this area's filling up, too, as Canadians build here. And believe it or not, some people even commute the two hours from here down to Seattle.

The outdoor playground is definitely a paradise. Have you ever looked at my photo blog, Ski to Sea? http://www.colleen365.blogspot.com None of the recent pics (like, um, the German ashtray, LOL) are particularly interesting, but if you scan through there you can get a taste of the beauty that is the Western WA, especially from last summer's pics. Very few places in the world offer the opportunity we have to drive a bit in one direction and ski on a volcanic mountain ~ or a bit in the other direction and kayak the waters where those Cascade foothills meet the sea.

My dear grandmother was born on Whidbey Island. My grandparent's lived in Ferndale on the beach (called Cherry Point, near a closed refinery) in their later years. Your pictures of Bellingham, Mt. Baker and Lumi Island brought back some great memories. My brother lives in Snohomish and my sister lives in Renton. I'm the only easterner. My other grandma was born and still lives in Sedro-Woolley. If I ever get out there again, I'd love to tour your place. Thanks for sharing the photos!!

K

We live on an island near Seattle. Homeschooling in WA is easy. At least on our community, there are good homeschool groups.

It's true that it rains or is cloudy and misty a lot in Seattle. It snows a few times a year and when it does the place grinds to a halt because they aren't prepared for snow. Housing prices have been going up over several years but aren't as bad as they are in California (or have they gone down in CA?). Summer is usually mild with some REALLY hot days thrown in. The traffic can be very bad.

We pay $30/hour for violin lessons with a professional violinist.

If you move here and have lots of choices regarding housing, I would look for a house with a good fireplace or wood stove. It really helps with the lack of radiant heat in the winter. Also, remember that you will be spending more time indoors because of all the rain and extra space indoors is great (bonus room or playroom).

This is totally rambling but I hope something here helps.

My dear grandmother was born on Whidbey Island. My grandparent's lived in Ferndale on the beach (called Cherry Point' date=' near a closed refinery) in their later years. Your pictures of Bellingham, Mt. Baker and Lumi Island brought back some great memories. My brother lives in Snohomish and my sister lives in Renton. I'm the only easterner. My other grandma was born and still lives in Sedro-Woolley. If I ever get out there again, I'd love to tour your place. Thanks for sharing the photos!![/quote']

You're welcome ~ thanks for checking out my blog.:) Yes, let me know if you come this way for a visit!