Menu

Anyone else addicted to....

alisoncooks

I have heard it mentioned on here before plenty of times..... and each time I think- hey I should do that. I haven't got around to it yet though. I'm almost afraid to start. :glare:

Do you have your own spiral kit or do you take it to a kinkos sort of place? If you take it somewhere to have it done for you do you mind giving me a ball park figure. What would something like OPGTR cost?

I just had a bunch of our workbooks and TMs done at Kinkos. They charged me $4.95 to remove the binding and add a spiral. I only do it with our more pricey books and heavily used workbooks, so it's well worth it to me. I've been thinking about buying this Proclick, but I would still have to take them to Kinkos to have the original bindings removed (I think that is around $1 on it's own). I think you can only cut a few sheets at a time, so for some of the thicker books that seems really time consuming. I go back and forth between being cheap and saving time ;)

I have heard it mentioned on here before plenty of times..... and each time I think- hey I should do that. I haven't got around to it yet though. I'm almost afraid to start. :glare:

Do you have your own spiral kit or do you take it to a kinkos sort of place? If you take it somewhere to have it done for you do you mind giving me a ball park figure. What would something like OPGTR cost?

I had OPGTR spiral bound for less than $5. I LOVE it.

.... removing the book binding from teacher manuals & workbooks and having them spiral bound?

I can't stop! :drool:

It started with our BSGFAA student pages.....

and then OPGTR got the royal treatment....

and then WWE1....and...and....and....

So, anyone else do this?

YES!!! The first one I ever did was a used book I bought. Then all the used books I bought. THEN came my BIG order for next year and my brand new books. The lady saw me coming when I got my big order in (nearly 2,000) and all my books that were not spiral bound (ummm, that was most of them) and she gave me a :blink: I needed my kids to help me carry them in! I also get the covers laminated though when I do it! Some of the bigger books I just have her cut the binding off and have her 3 hole punch them and I put them in a binder. I CAN'T STOP :lol:

I took Phonics Pathways in with a group of l5 books and it cost me like $18. That included having the covers laminated. But- this is a small local place. We don't have any big chain stores around here.

lol. I was doing it to ALL of my stuff, until I realized that I then was looking at a bookshelf full of spirals. I couldn't find anything without looking through a million spiral-bound books! :lol:

I started going to Office Max, but after they ruined one of my books and had very poor customer service, I found a Fedex Kinkos where the staff is much friendlier.

lol. I was doing it to ALL of my stuff, until I realized that I then was looking at a bookshelf full of spirals. I couldn't find anything without looking through a million spiral-bound books! :lol:

:lol::lol:

Good point. I keep my subjects in individual upright magazine holders, so I only have a handful for each subject/box that I have to sort through.

(And we've been going to Office Max. :001_unsure: I'm a stickler for doing things perfectly, so now I'll be watching them like a hawk! :D Maybe I'll just have DH take the books in for me, save me the stress!)

I am addicted to "unbinding" books as well. I hate when they won't lay flat and some books/curriculum are really difficult to deal with when they are particularly thick. Some books you can take apart yourself fairly easily and just hole punch them, etc., but I have taken a few to my local office store to have spiral bound. I want one of those spiral binding machines so bad...I seriously might have to put it into my homeschool budget this year.

My newest project is I decided to take a couple of math textbooks (luckily the pages are already perforated) and tear the pages out and hole punch the pages and put them into a 3 ring notebook. This works great for 3 reasons: we don't have to carry a heavy textbook around (just grab the pages we want to use), can photocopy pages if necessary, and the pages are easier to manipulate in a notebook.

I also love to buy used curriculum that someone has already taken apart and put into a notebook, saves me the time! I bought Spelling Power that was 3 hole punched and in a notebook and it makes it so much easier to flip through.

Yup! Me!!! :D I bind ALL of our stuff and even make custom books for the kids. It's terribly addicting! My hubby's office has a binding machine so I just purchase all the supplies and then sweet talk him into binding my stuff for me. He's amazing..........:001_wub:

:lol::lol:

Good point. I keep my subjects in individual upright magazine holders, so I only have a handful for each subject/box that I have to sort through.

(And we've been going to Office Max. :001_unsure: I'm a stickler for doing things perfectly, so now I'll be watching them like a hawk! :D Maybe I'll just have DH take the books in for me, save me the stress!)

You can always comb bind them like I do.....and then put pretty stickers on the comb binding.........just sayin'.........not that I know from experience or anything:lol:

Is that justification for a label maker?

I'd love to do this to all three volumes of BFSU so that I could put all the physics, bio, chem etc lessons together in level arch folders. I've come to BFSU late, so I need to integrate the first two books into the lessons in the 3rd volume. I'm just not brave enough (or maybe I'm just too cheap!)

D

Hello, my name is Megan and I'm a spiral binding addict. The desire started before we bought OPGTR. We spent a year borrowing it from the library and every single time I thought to myself, "Self, you need to buy this gosh darn thing so you can chop the end off and have it spiral bound." AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Do you have any idea how annoying it is to try and use that big honkin' thing with only one hand so you can point with the other?

Then I got BFSU, Galloping the Globe, two books for our religious curriculum, WWE, AAS. I probably would have done MUS, but that sucker is hard cover and just too pretty to cut up. I wasn't tremendously worried about resale value. I'm pretty sure having it done increases the value of books ;) The ad would look something like: "This book is already spiral bound for you. Trust me, this is a plus. If you ignore this warning and buy one that isn't spiral bound, you will be smacking yourself for being such a turd."

You can always comb bind them like I do.....and then put pretty stickers on the comb binding.........just sayin'.........not that I know from experience or anything:lol:

Is that justification for a label maker?

Oooo, I so totally want a label maker now. I've been tempted ever since reading all the organizing threads on the general board.

I started going to Office Max, but after they ruined one of my books and had very poor customer service, I found a Fedex Kinkos where the staff is much friendlier.

Eeeekk..I was going to take some things to get bound this weekend at Office Max. Maybe I should try Kinkos instead.

What is BFSU?

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

Oh and I take my stuff to Office Depot. Office Max once did shoddy work on some books and one of the local copy places ruined some of my index cards on the laminating machine. I wished I had noticed in the store. I don't think I should have paid for the opportunity for them to ruin my possessions.

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

Oh and I take my stuff to Office Depot. Office Max once did shoddy work on some books and one of the local copy places ruined some of my index cards on the laminating machine. I wished I had noticed in the store. I don't think I should have paid for the opportunity for them to ruin my possessions.

How much are they? It was $2.50 for binding at Carol's Copies, IIRC. I'm thinking about printing out my MEP and having it bound.

How much are they? It was $2.50 for binding at Carol's Copies, IIRC. I'm thinking about printing out my MEP and having it bound.

Bah! I can't be bothered with details. My ADD brain can't handle that much information. If you held a gun to my head, I would say about $3. Give or take $5 :tongue_smilie: (but seriously, I think about $3)

I've had our stuff bound at Kinko's and Office Depot. The Kinko's people always seemed to take extra time to make sure things were done right. There was one incident where the guy cut it a little too closely (it was still useable, but a little too close for comfort) and after that he made sure he was careful with all of the other cuts. Just make sure you are very explicit with where you want it cut (I usually mark it with a Sharpie so there is no confusion :001_smile:). Our Kinko's is in a really busy area so it's open 24 hours a day so I tend to go at weird times when I know I will be the only one there. I'm probably a little over the top, but when I'm handing over hundreds of dollars of curriculum, I want it done right!

I've had our stuff bound at Kinko's and Office Depot. The Kinko's people always seemed to take extra time to make sure things were done right. There was one incident where the guy cut it a little too closely (it was still useable, but a little too close for comfort) and after that he made sure he was careful with all of the other cuts. Just make sure you are very explicit with where you want it cut (I usually mark it with a Sharpie so there is no confusion :001_smile:). Our Kinko's is in a really busy area so it's open 24 hours a day so I tend to go at weird times when I know I will be the only one there. I'm probably a little over the top, but when I'm handing over hundreds of dollars of curriculum, I want it done right!

This info is very helpful...I had one book done (OPGTR)...I took it to Staples and they sort of jacked up my book - translation: they cut it on a slant and now it is weird looking...I have been afraid to get another book done although I have been wanting to have a few done...I am glad to hear others have had better luck than me...Maybe I should try the sharpie thing...

.... removing the book binding from teacher manuals & workbooks and having them spiral bound?

I can't stop! :drool:

It started with our BSGFAA student pages.....

and then OPGTR got the royal treatment....

and then WWE1....and...and....and....

So, anyone else do this?

Absolutely!!!!

I've done it to the WWE books, because the lines are so big we can't use them and half of the books are wasted space. I had Levels 1 and 2 bound together, and 3 and 4 together, so I now have two books that take up much less space than the original four, and are much easier to use. Oh, for 3 and 4, I cut the binding myself and put the pages in order, since we needed to keep the student pages that had the readings on them and those are interspersed with the pages whose lines were sized with giants in mind. ;)

I also did this with one of my own textbooks this quarter, and my classmates were jealous. :D