Menu

Can banks do this?

I closed a Key Bank account I'd had for 15 years. I changed all the auto pay settings, and had confirmed I was covered. My telephone people Century Link told me all was taken care of. They sent an auto pay bill anyway (they said oh, sorry, but nothing we can do about it). Key bank REOPENED my closed account, paid it (claiming they do this to "keep my credit good"), and then charged me over 30 bucks for an overdraft.

Banks can re-open accounts? (BTW, I left them because their nick name at work is FEE Bank.)

How can I kill this hydra and sear its neck shut?

Did you get a written confirmation that the account was closed? When you are closing an account, they are typically supposed to give you a small receipt as a confirmation that the account was closed, which you have to sign. Do you have something like that?

No, I don't have one. They gave me a cashier's check for the total amount, and we made it clear we were permanently closing the account.

I think your beef should be with the company that sent the auto pay bill to the wrong bank. They should have to pay for the fee, since it was their fault.

Century Link's way of coping is to simply not answer a question, and after apologizing once, not replying to emails. Then there is terminal hold waiting for a supervisor. Then there is "that is the way we do it". I asked for a confirmation number for the last payment, but they don't have c.n. for payments. I didn't record the conversation. There word, my word. Unless I want to go to dial up, or triple my bill, they are the ONLY internet provider in my area. Monopoly.

No, I don't have one. They gave me a cashier's check for the total amount, and we made it clear we were permanently closing the account.

For the total amount of what? The cost of closing an account? Is it somehow specified on that check that you payed for the permanent closure of the account?

You are "supposed" (not really supposed because the banks' policies differ, but that is what I am familiar with) to have two receipts - one, a confirmation that you payed a certain fee to close the account, and two, a statement that you were permanently closing an account and that they paid you, after having substracted that fee, the rest of the money that was on the account(typically specified). Perhaps the two coexist on the same confirmation, but still, there is some kind of an explicit formulation about the (permanent) closure of the account.

If anything like that is specified on that check, they cannot do it, they cannot do a "this is how we operate" and they must take upon themselves the cost of whatever was the mistake (most likely) that had your account opened.

If you do not have any kind of a written comfirmation that you closed the account and if it was only orally (i.e. "informally", since not registered in writing) agreed upon that you were closing an account I have no idea how things work in that case.

I would send a copy of the bank statement or the notice of the fee with a letter asking them to reimburse you send it to Century Link's main office. Put ATTN: Customer Service or something like that. It is always better to put it in writing. If you don't hear from them in 10 business days, then another letter ATTN: President or CEO

I would send a copy of the bank statement or the notice of the fee with a letter asking them to reimburse you send it to Century Link's main office. Put ATTN: Customer Service or something like that. It is always better to put it in writing. If you don't hear from them in 10 business days, then another letter ATTN: President or CEO

This is what I would do too. Send the copy of whatever you have and see what they are going to reply.

Key bank REOPENED my closed account, paid it (claiming they do this to "keep my credit good"), and then charged me over 30 bucks for an overdraft.

Was this on a statement/bill? If so, you don't need a receipt showing that it was closed because they acknowledged that fact by stating that they REOPENED the account.

You might have to read your initial contract and all those letters they sent you over the years telling you about changes to your account in microscopic print to see if you actually agreed to this.

Be sure to send it certified and get a signature.

Was this on a statement/bill? If so, you don't need a receipt showing that it was closed because they acknowledged that fact by stating that they REOPENED the account.

No, this is what the bank people told my husband. I don't know the language they used. The branch manager is "trying" to get this dropped via some mucky muck, but I'm betting the answer is no.

Are branches different in culture?

We never had a lick of trouble with my old branch. Recently, hubby asked our local branch if he could move his (free) safety deposit box down to this bank. They said it would be no problem. The problem was it voided all the little things I'd grandfathered in with over the last 2 decades, including the free box. When I found this out, I decided to close the account, and the lady was shocked, said it was a great account, that all those grandfathered things were "going away anyway" (hadn't for 20 years), they had great advisers at this branch, etc. At the end she said, "I hope you don't believe we were untruthful to your husband about this, because this is a great account. We honestly wanted what was best for him." I almost laughed because it is the "same" account I had at the last branch, but with all the little perks I'd had for opening the account so long ago. Well, honestly, there was "no trouble" transferring the branch, as in hassle, but there was "trouble" in loss of services.

When I closed some accounts at Fifth Third Bank, the person working with me made a point to tell me to change/cancel any automatic payments etc because if they came through, they would reopen the accounts and charge fees. There must be some way they can do it.

Well, what a happy little perk for them. Not one bounce, not one drop below 25K in the account in 20 years, I've been the quietest little customer they've ever had, and then they got me in the rear on my way out the door.

When I closed some accounts at Fifth Third Bank, the person working with me made a point to tell me to change/cancel any automatic payments etc because if they came through, they would reopen the accounts and charge fees. There must be some way they can do it.

Logistically, they can do it, but perhaps they should not do it if it was specified that the account was permanently closed (unless specified differently in the initial contract and that they have a policy of reopening accounts for auto pay going wrong - like you were explicitly told).

Logistically, they can do it, but perhaps they should not do it

But if they legally can, what a great way to slurp in charges. If it is legal, they would be foolish NOT to, in a business sense.

And now I hear my ING has been bought out by a bank with a horrible reputation for whacks to the knees. UGH.

I've had really good luck when stuff like this happens to me by contacting my local news channel. They have investigative people who will make the calls for you.

A couple years ago, we had a HUGE tree fall on the power lines in our back yard. There were sparks coming from the wires! No storm. No nothing. The 75 year old tree just split. Our electric company hadn't shown up in over 12 hours. (They are the ones who cut the tree off live wires.) I kept calling and got nowhere. So, I called the local news people. Funny. Our electric company was here in an hour!!!!

Good luck. We're debating moving our ING money too.

I don't know! I am looking though! Do you have thoughts?

I moved to a credit union that is hooked up to the nationwide network of ATMs. That is competitive with ING, and if the new people start trotting out the fees, it will be a better deal than ING.

I've been eyeballing mybanktracker.com/bank-deals for ideas.

This happened to me, but I don't remember which bank. The original account was with BankBoston, and then IIRC there were two subsequent takeovers and I can't quite recall the ultimate name. Anyway, it was the same scenario: closed account, company wrongly tried to bill me, and they covered it and charged me an overdraft. I resolved the issue by going down to the local branch and throwing a very dignified, perfectly civil fit that nonethelsss included the phrases "over my dead body" and "class action." As if by magic, suddenly the bill could be forgiven, purely as a gesture of goodwill with no admission of liability on their part, of course. I then asked point blank how I might go about completely and totally terminating my relationship with their bank for all eternity and they gave me a form. Which I signed, and then I got a receipt and left.

Good luck.

We closed an account, moved all the money, and changed our address to our new address to receive the final closing statement. I then left town andbdrove six hours with a nearly two year old, pregnant! DH came two days later. In the meantime, I purchased birthday decorations and gifts...I had failed to cut up the debit card from the closed account and grabbed it put of habit instead of the card to the good account...rather than denying the charge....it went through! I received an over draft note 3weeks later because they had not changed the address, it had to be forwarded. They charged $8 per day for the negative balance.

It took a few days, but I worked it out to send a check fothe original charge, then they removed the charges. It was a frustrating mess!

I would call them up and rip them a new one. Chances are they will reverse the charge.

My husband and I do good cop bad cop. I can be cuttingly fierce (I even look like a Viking), and hubby is so soft spoken with gentle blue eyes. I rip on the phone, he goes in person with a winning smile and asks for help to get me off his back. :lol: It worked again.

If a heart to heart (or the wife) doesn't sway folks, sometimes dropping the name of Mr./Miss Attorney General works wonders :001_smile:

And I LOVE www.checkingfinder.com If you're willing to make a few debits per month and do your banking mostly online, you can get more interest in a checking account than CD/savings. Also, go to www.bankrate.com to see how the bank is rated.