Menu

Please help with science experiments!

Night Elf

My dd10 wants more experiments. She's using Calvert 4th grade and while she doesn't mind the textbook, she is bummed that the experiments to date have been uninspiring. I'm the first to admit I don't like experiments. I didn't like them as a child and I don't like them now. I'll also admit that I don't go out of my way to get all the materials. I have a big box of science stuff but we often get stumped on the dumb household materials assumed to be in my house! Yesterday I needed 2 cups of white glue and 3 teaspoons of borax powder. I don't have that much glue and I don't use powder detergent. She was nearly in tears so today I have to make a special trip to the grocery store to purchase white glue and borax powder!

Are there science kits for her age besides the Nutshell kits? I hated the Nutshell kits. I have owned 2 Science and still own 1 Math one and I just don't feel they give enough instruction or explanation. We were left with 'why' questions that I couldn't answer because I'm not a science-type person. I've purchased the kits available at a bookstore and those are boring. So what does my daughter want that I'm not providing??

Maybe I should just buy her some more Nutshell kits. :confused:

We are doing Calvert 3 and 6 now and rarely, if ever, do the experiments they recommend. Like you, I just never have what we needed! We have also used NOEO science and they have the The Young Scientists Club - Experiment Kits that have everything packaged up for you. You could check that out.

-Deborah

Enjoying our homeschooling journey.

Along for the ride:

dd (11)

dd (8 in Aug)

ds (5 in Aug)

ds (1)

Have you looked at Robert Krampf's site? Most of his experiments use very common things (and not large amounts - lol - like 2 cups of glue!). I've been a member of his email list for a number of years now, and have always thought he comes up with some neat things. He's also got some videos, too.

http://www.krampf.com/

I've mentioned Sonlight's Discover and Do science dvds in the past... They have up through 4th grade now, and if you buy both the "non consumable" kit and the 4th grade kit, it will include nearly everything you will ever need to reproduce the experiments on the dvd. I love that my kids can do all the experiments without coming to me and asking for some "common household item" that I don't have (like an empty spool or a particular sort of paper clip, etc, etc)... My kids love the dvds and *I* love that they have an enthusiastic young tutor to demonstrate the experiments and a box with everything they need...

Well, I use Rainbow Science, which is a Christian curriculum, but I think anyone could easily adapt it for their use. I met the author at a convention and he sold me when he showed me the kit of supplies that comes with it. It is expensive, but, oh, how I love having everything I need right at the time I need it. My children have both liked the experiments. I actually found them interesting as well. The text is written in a humorous, tongue-in-cheek, kind of style, as well, which my children found engaging. Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

What about VanCleave books? We have one for chemistry to use this year.

I am terrible about gathering supplies as well and my ds love science. One thing I working on this summer (should have been done by now) is having ds help me gather all of the supplies. I keep all the non food items in a box in the classroom.

I love this book, it came out in Jan 2008 but it's sort of unknown although I don't know why.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/501-Science-Experiments/Hinkler-Books/e/9781741811858/

It's for ages 4-12, covering Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Geology/Geography, Physics and Weather all separated with handy tabs. This book is friendly to both a homeschool and classroom environment and I've been looking for an organized experiment book like this for a while. Easy to do experiments most of them are with everyday materials.

This is a hardcover binder type book with the inside pages wire bound, each section has a page to track the experiments done which is very handy.

Another I like but it's not formatted for a child is The Everyday Science Sourcebook by Lowery

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=512608&kw=512608&en=froogle&p=1013824

These are the best ones I have for multi-topic science experiments.

We are finishing Calvert 4 and 3rd. We have never once been inspired by any of their science experiments. ACtually we have never been inspired by any of their science in any of the grades. Its so dry and boring that I can feel my own eyes glaze over.

Anyways my daughters really enjoy the Sonlight Discover and Do DVD's . They are much more enjoyable to use and you can get the stuff needed from Sonlight too.

You might try looking at the ones at this site:

http://www.academyofscienceforkids.com/

Right now there is a chemistry, physics, seeds, and rocks kit. They are for elementary age ranges and everything you need is included. I wrote more about it on my blog.

Don't know if those topics are helpful right now, but there will be more released soon. We've done 4 of the rock activities so far and dd has really enjoyed them. I am having to do some of the recording for her because the log book lines are smaller than she can manage, but would probably be just right for upper elementary. I actually got all of the kits at convention (since they were discounted there) so if you have questions about any of them I can try to help out. I also have a homeschool discount code from a convention flyer.

Wow, that 501 Science Experiments looks fantastic! I also really like Nature Crafts for kids here and Science Smart, here. I own both. I like the meaningful projects, such as making a sun dial, wormery, time zone maps and a hot air balloon. The explanations are science lessons in themselves and are well written. Nature Crafts for Kids (or Nature Smart, a volume more than double the experiments in Nature Crafts) encompasses astronomy, weather, plants and animals. Science Smart encompasses earth science, geology and geography. Some projects include:

I love this book, it came out in Jan 2008 but it's sort of unknown although I don't know why.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/501-Science-Experiments/Hinkler-Books/e/9781741811858/

This looks awesome. I was planning on getting a few VanCleave books but wasn't sure they'd get the use I'd like for the investment. This would be perfect if: it's easy for children to use on their own and it explains why the experiments work. Does it do these things?

I like the Adventures in Science kits from Rainbow Resources ($10). I think they have good "why" explanations, but they aren't long and drawn out. It depends on your goals. If your dd is reading a textbook, most of the concepts should be covered in there, and the experiments will serve to spark interest and have process experience.

Good luck!

I've mentioned Sonlight's Discover and Do science dvds in the past... They have up through 4th grade now, and if you buy both the "non consumable" kit and the 4th grade kit, it will include nearly everything you will ever need to reproduce the experiments on the dvd. I love that my kids can do all the experiments without coming to me and asking for some "common household item" that I don't have (like an empty spool or a particular sort of paper clip, etc, etc)... My kids love the dvds and *I* love that they have an enthusiastic young tutor to demonstrate the experiments and a box with everything they need...

My dc love these videos, too. I have the Usborne books as well, and they can often do these experiments without my help. They have spent many Saturday mornings working on experiments out of these book. We often watch the video in the van on trips.

It has a great variety of experiments that use simple supplies. We've also used the van Cleave books. I tend not to buy kits because I always feel I paid too much just to have those simple supplies put together in a box for me.

I'm thinking about the TOPS books for next year (SWB has listed some of them in her recommended resources) but I haven't used them yet so can't really recommend them, although they look great! Website is at http://topscience.org/

Nikita