Menu

Concise, accurate book about Charlotte Mason?

Halcyon

Her series is the best way to learn about her method, but concise isn't a good word to describe it! LoL

I like several of Sonya Shafer's books. They aren't based solely on her interpretation of CM methods, rather a compilation of what CM had to say about certain things. So, her "Hearing, Reading, Telling and Writing" book has tons of quotations from the CM Homeschooling series. The "Laying Down the Rails" has all of Cm 's thoughts on habit forming.

Another good one to help you go through the series is Penny Gardner's study guide.

Karen Andreola's book is great, but there is a lot of Karen's own opinions and it doesn't necessarily give the truest view of what a CM education is.

I 2nd the Levison suggestion as a good explanation. However, you really do need to read CM's writings in order to really understand her ideas. Ambleside has a Volumes 1-6 online that've been "translated" into modern English and are a bit easier to read than tthe originals.

I've read many modern interpretations and my best advice is go to the source. Books with quotes as opposed to interpretations are a good start if you are unsure you want to invest time in the originals.

If you want a clear picture of her ideas, I would go to the originals. I would start with 1, 3 or 6 depending on the level of the child. These deal mainly with education at three levels--Preschool/elementary, middle school, high school. Don't feel you must read all six volumes to get an idea of what she recommends. If you think you must read all six, you may never start. Once you read one or two, you may never stop. ;) Or you might decide it's not an approach that you are drawn to. That's OK too. :001_smile:

I have issues with the idea that the language needs modernized. Some of the ideas, perhaps, which Charlotte acknowledges in the book, but the words? I don't understand that.

It also concerns me that those modern "translations" have bias/interpretations in them--which is hard to avoid.

We expect our children to be able to read the Great Books without modernizing them. Yet, we can't read books from relatively recently? I think reading the originals, discussing them and trying to draw out what she meant is beneficial. Reading someone's else rewording seems rather opposite of CM.

The books others having written about her works are just that--books others have written about her works. I have been stunned many times now that I'm reading the originals again. I see such a different Charlotte than some people see. I see someone I sometimes disagree with, sometimes doubt, but none-the-less respect highly and consider a mentor and guide.

If you just want to learn about short lessons, living books, handicrafts, narration, dictation, etc then many of the books available will work. To see the bigger picture there is no substitute for reading the originals.

Edited by Hilltop Academy

It will be easier to take what works for you and dump the rest if you read the original series. The individual volumes are not very long.

The "modern translation" on Ambleside can give you an idea of what someone else understands her writings to mean. They also include some relevant historical notes.

The free e-books on Simply Charlotte Mason can give you an overview of how someone sees CM with relevant modern examples.

All of this you can do before you spend a dime and it should give you an idea of whether it would be worth spending money to see how others have applied her philosophy.

HTH-

Mandy

The book When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today is the best I have seen to move from philosophy to practical. It has and it continues to help me enormously.

BTW, Child Light USA is holding a Charlotte Mason conference in June this year in Boiling Springs, NC.

I've read many modern interpretations and my best advice is go to the source. Books with quotes as opposed to interpretations are a good start if you are unsure you want to invest time in the originals.

:iagree:

I have issues with the idea that the language needs modernized. Some of the ideas, perhaps, which Charlotte acknowledges in the book, but the words? I don't understand that.

Me neither :confused:

We expect our children to be able to read the Great Books without modernizing them. Yet, we can't read books from relatively recently? I think reading the originals, discussing them and trying to draw out what she meant is beneficial. Reading someone's else rewording seems rather opposite of CM.

The books others having written about her works are just that--books others have written about her works. I have been stunned many times now that I'm reading the originals again. I see such a different Charlotte than some people see. I see someone I sometimes disagree with, sometimes doubt, but none-the-less respect highly and consider a mentor and guide.

:iagree: You have hit the nail on the head!

If you just want to learn about short lessons, living books, handicrafts, narration, dictation, etc then many of the books available will work. To see the bigger picture there is no substitute for reading the originals.

It will be easier to take what works for you and dump the rest if you read the original series. The individual volumes are not very long.

That said, reading When Children Love to Learn gives the best overview, IMHO, and motivation, to study CM's own series. Her actual works are quoted in there by page when you see the sample schedules and lessons. The OP did say "concise" in her title ;)

That said, reading When Children Love to Learn gives the best overview, IMHO, and motivation, to study CM's own series. Her actual works are quoted in there by page when you see the sample schedules and lessons. The OP did say "concise" in her title ;)

Interesting. I haven't read that one. It sounds like a good place to start.

I didn't find Susan Schaeffer Macaulay's book very helpful, although the first chapter renewed my vigor for CM! I love the Simply Charlotte Mason stuff. My favorite is When Children Love to Learn. It gives you a lot of information about each subject. I also love Education in the Heart of the Home. This was the book that made me realize that I was going to be CM homeschooler. I am now in the process of reading her originals. I do have to admit that the Education in the Heart of the Home book is written by a Catholic author. There is a little bit of info about Catholic books, but it is still a great book for non Catholics. There is also a wonderful chapter on burnout!

You only really need to read a few of CM's books; you can skip, for example, the one about parenting.

I am not a fan of Levison's book-- it's extremely short and she recommends resources she has not herself used, much less actually seen (!). She also discusses things like how to hide nudity in art (personally, I think it's dumb to stick a post it over the organ in question; better to focus on art without nudity, in my opinion).

I like For the Children's Sake and When Children love to learn.

I also love Education in the Heart of the Home. This was the book that made me realize that I was going to be CM homeschooler. I am now in the process of reading her originals. I do have to admit that the Education in the Heart of the Home book is written by a Catholic author. There is a little bit of info about Catholic books, but it is still a great book for non Catholics. There is also a wonderful chapter on burnout!

Hmm.. I may have to read this one, I'm a curious Catholic using materials mostly secularly ;)

Simply Charlotte Mason website is awesome and I enjoy reading many of her free ebooks. I have read some of the original books, but I struggle with them. SCM quotes the originals a lot! And I have some of her DVDs and she does a great job of saying which ideas are CM and which ideas are CM influenced. Lots of free e-books on the website too! IF you can handle the originals, pick one up and read it!