Menu

Self-ed report on me...

You people will fully appreciate this. I am excited to report that, just a few minutes ago, I FINISHED STUDYING R&S GRAMMAR LEVEL 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I plan to continue with Books 9/10, which mostly have review and a few new concepts. But I am so excited to have finally learned and practiced (what seems to me to be) most English grammar concepts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(now, to put this into practice in my writing...don't hold my quickly-written posts against me! :D)

Congratulations, Colleen! Brava! Have you or are you planning to read Strunk & White's Elements of Style, as well? That's on my list too, as it seems to have excellent reviews.

Your post has inspired me. I have completely fallen off track with my Greek and Latin studies, not to mention trying to improve my French.:tongue_smilie: I have found Goodreads and have joined a couple of excellent groups there, so for literature, I'm doing alright ...... need to get back to the language studies though ....... :001_huh:

Did you just start with 7 or did you start lower? I flipped through 5th and feel like I may need to start there for a good review! I have forgotten so much since high school and college:tongue_smilie:

Congratulations, Colleen! Brava! Have you or are you planning to read Strunk & White's Elements of Style, as well? That's on my list too, as it seems to have excellent reviews.

Your post has inspired me. I have completely fallen off track with my Greek and Latin studies, not to mention trying to improve my French.:tongue_smilie: I have found Goodreads and have joined a couple of excellent groups there, so for literature, I'm doing alright ...... need to get back to the language studies though ....... :001_huh:

We had to buy a copy of Elements of Style for my master's program. It is a VERY helpful little book! It has a whole section with commonly misused words: accept/except, lay/lie, and more!

Aw, thanks, all you fellow WTM-board friends! I knew you'd understand my excitement! I still can't believe I did it, and that I finally have a basic understanding of English grammar. It seems so small in the face of all the other skills I am learning more slowly or want to learn, but it's huge to this girl.

Congratulations, Colleen! Brava! Have you or are you planning to read Strunk & White's Elements of Style, as well?

I will read it sometime - it's on my shelf - I think that one will be a breathe of fresh air of review, after doing R&S 8.

Did you just start with 7 or did you start lower? I flipped through 5th and feel like I may need to start there for a good review!

:lol: I know how you feel! A few years ago, I was going to start at Level 7, but I got about five lessons in and realized I was waaaayyyy over my head. So I jumped back to six, and then settled at five, where my son was at the time. And actually, I started learning new things in book four when he was in that one!! So, I then moved forward in five with him. And then six, and then seven, all with him. This year, while he is in eight, I fell behind. It got so I just couldn't keep up with him each day, with me reading the lesson while he read it. He was just much faster than I about absorbing the concepts and then orally going through the exercises - I fell to just following in the TM while he told me the answers (he does diagrams on his own). I finally got frustrated enough a few months ago, that I started up book 7 again. Then I figured, I'm going to try eight, on my own, for full understanding. And I plowed through that thing. Having been through five to seven with ds made eight a lot easier. It tried my brain, but I finally won last night. :D

Suffice it to say, yes, five is not an unreasonable place to begin. :D

I regard you as one of the WTM classicists. I know you apply yourself 100% to your job.

:blushing: Oh, er, coming from people I regard highly, this is a valuable compliment to me. Thank you.