Menu

What's your favorite red potato recipe?

Meijer has them on sale $1 for a 3lb bag next week, so I'm gonna pick some up. I never buy them.

What's your favorite way to prepare them? :001_smile:

Edited by bethanyniez
Um, just 'cause I *call* it 'Meijers' doesn't mean thats *actually* how to spell it :)

Loaded baked potato soup-it calls for yukon golds, but I use little reds all the time.

crash hot potatoes

dirty mashed potatoes-I add garlic.

grated potato cakes-you can add grated zucchini, yellow squash and/or carrots to these too. Make sure you squeeze out as much liquid as you can.

roasted garlic potatoes

home fries

I also put them in with my roast, but I don't really do anything to them in that case.

I just cube them, toss them in oil, and sprinkle with fresh rosemary then roast 'em.

They freeze really well, so in your case I'd make a bunch and freeze in side-dish proportions to use in later weeks! But I'm lazy in the kitchen, and would rather do that than to think of several different ways to prepare them LOL.

I like to roast them:

Heat oven to 425. Cut potatoes into wedges. Toss in olive oil. (Optional: Also toss in some fresh rosemary and/or minced garlic.) Place on a baking sheet, with a cut side down, and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cover the baking sheet with foil and roast for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and roast for about 15 more minutes, until the pan-side of the potato is brown and crusty. Using a spatula, carefully turn the potatoes so that the other peeled edge is touching the pan and roast for another 10 minutes or so until that edge is also brown, and the skins have started to wrinkle a little. (I don't always turn the potatoes; sometimes, I just leave them unturned and roast for an extra 5 minutes or so.) Using a spatula to remove them from the roasting sheet so that the yummy crusty edge doesn't stick to the pan.

I also like to peel and cube them, toss in olive oil, and roast until soft (about 20-30 minutes at 425), then put them in quiche or in scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

I just cube them, toss them in oil, and sprinkle with fresh rosemary then roast 'em.

They freeze really well, so in your case I'd make a bunch and freeze in side-dish proportions to use in later weeks! But I'm lazy in the kitchen, and would rather do that than to think of several different ways to prepare them LOL.

Um, you're not allowed to call yourself lazy if you'd freeze a bunch ahead for side dishes! :D

No recipes--just jealousy, lol. We never have a deal like that here.

I was just telling dh that we could never stick to our grocery budget if it weren't for Meijer. I think I do quite well with couponing and being thrify while balancing that with nutrition, and Meijer is hands down the best place to grocery shop in our area for that.

Meijer has them on sale $1 for a 3lb bag next week, so I'm gonna pick some up. I never buy them.

What's your favorite way to prepare them? :001_smile:

I usually roast them skins on, but my family LOVES these little pancakes:

Boil them till tender

Pull off the skins

Cool

Rough mash by hand (lumps don't matter)

Mix in salt, pepper, feta, lots of dill and an egg

Chill

Make little balls, flatten slightly, dredge in flour, and fry in olive oil til warm and golden

I didn't include amounts because it's versatile and to taste. My family likes lots of feta and dill.

you never buy potatoes or you never buy red potatoes?

I prefer reds to russets, I think they just taste better.

I like to roast the potatoes- 2tbsp olive oil with koser salt and fresh cracked pepper 375 degrees for 40-50min then served with aioli (a garlic mayo, just google simple aioli) YUMMY!!!!

a side note.... I really miss Meijer. LOVE THEM!!!

Oh, I probably should read all the replies but I am late hopping into the shower and will be late to church.

I just made this recipe for the first time two nights ago and it was a hit.

Throw in the crockpot:

Enough chicken breasts for your family (boneless, skinless)

A bag of sauerkraut (found near pickles and lunch meat)

A bunch of clean and quartered red potatoes

Salt and pepper

Top with a can of beer.

And then add water to cover the ingredients.

Cook high for 1 hour and low for 7 hours.

Or cook high for 5 hours.

Yummy.

you never buy potatoes or you never buy red potatoes?

I prefer reds to russets, I think they just taste better.

I like to roast the potatoes- 2tbsp olive oil with koser salt and fresh cracked pepper 375 degrees for 40-50min then served with aioli (a garlic mayo, just google simple aioli) YUMMY!!!!

a side note.... I really miss Meijer. LOVE THEM!!!

I do buy potatoes, but almost always russets, because Zee can tell the difference if I buy any other (like yellow flesh or white, for example), and doesn't like them. :tongue_smilie: He can tell the difference in taste and texture if I make mashed potatoes out of whites instead of russets, for example. I don't know if he likes red potatoes, but we'll see. :001_smile:

Great ideas, ladies. I'm pretty sure they're the big red ones, so I can't try Pioneer Woman's crash hot potatoes. But I thing we'll roast them...

I was going to suggest crash potatoes as well. I think the large ones would work if you cut them and put them peel side down on the pan.

Red potatoes also make good potato salad.

My mom only uses red for mashed potatoes, great consistency...milk, butter, bit of sour cream or cream cheese..

I love them for german hot potato salad!