Menu

TMI question about monthly cycles *ladies only*

Okay folks, what can make someone skip a period when there is absolutely zero chance of pregnancy. I have been celibate for 5 years so there is no chance of that. But I have skipped a period. I have never been late or missed one other than while pregnant ever since starting my period back at age 11. Even while breastfeeding a newborn it was right back on schedule right away. Every 28 days like clockwork. Last month I went and bought new supplies because it was coming due, I was having PMS symptoms etc. And then it simply never started. That was almost a full month ago and still nothing. Had it been on time then I would be coming up due right away for this month.

I have noticed in recent months the flow was changing. Previously I had always been a heavy flow girl. After dd4 I was more medium. For the last 6 months before this it was only lasting 3 days of light flow. Not sure if that is connected or not but I would assume so.

SO what would cause cycles to reduce in flow for a period of months and then ust not appear at all?

Yeah, I used to think 34 wouldn't have been old enough for perimenopause, but it is.

I'm 38, and my pattern of flow has been changing for a few years. For a while I was having really long menses (>10 days). Some cycles my flow has a stop-and-start pattern that drives me bonkers: three days flow, then nothing for 24 hours, then flow restarts. More recently, my cycles have been about 24 days instead of my usual 28 days. (I was surprised to note that for me, the shortening is caused by earlier ovulation rather than shorter luteal phase.)

Yeah, I used to think 34 wouldn't have been old enough for perimenopause, but it is.

I'm 38, and my pattern of flow has been changing for a few years. For a while I was having really long menses (~10 days). Some cycles my flow has a stop-and-start pattern that drives me bonkers: three days flow, then nothing for 24 hours, then flow restarts. More recently, my cycles have been about 24 days instead of my usual 28 days. (I was surprised to note that for me, the shortening is caused by earlier ovulation rather than shorter luteal phase.)

This is EXACTLY what mine did for a good 6 months before going to 3 days only.

I never thought of it being perimenopause, I thought I was too young. Ugh! That sucks if it is.

Perimenopause. I am 32 and started perimenopause in late 20's. My mom was totally finished with menopause by 45, so my doc thinks I will also finish early.

Also, as we get older, our cycles sometimes just change. Perhaps your body is gearing up to shift your cycle around.

Okay so when is considered early? My mom is 52 and was done with menopause before her 50th birthday I believe.

Yes, when I hit 35 my periods went haywire. All over the map. All kinds of unprecedented (for me) things started happening. My ob/gyn said that was normal for the age.

(Do check with your doctor--it's always good to let them know when things change dramatically--but it may just be your new "normal.")

Yes, when I hit 35 my periods went haywire. All over the map. All kinds of unprecedented (for me) things started happening. My ob/gyn said that was normal for the age.

(Do check with your doctor--it's always good to let them know when things change dramatically--but it may just be your new "normal.")

You know what is so funny about it that it is pathetic? MY cycle was the 1 and only really consistent thing in my life. No matter how chaotic everything else got it was always predictable kwim. I don't want a new normal, I want my old normal lol

As for the Dr, yipee. My GP retired almost 2 years ago. He was the Dr that did my mom's prenatal care and delivered me, then did my prenatal care etc. I do have a new one from the same clinic that took on my file (all of my old Dr's patients were given the names of 3 of the dr's in the clinic willing to take on old dr's patients). I met her once for a meet and greet type appt but have not actually seen her for anything. This will be fun, drive 2 hours to tell a stranger my period took a vacation without me :lol:

Yeah, fun. I will admit to being bad in that my last pap was when I found out I was pg with with dd4. I never even went back for the 6 week check up. I know they are going to want to do one when I go for an appt for this. Having my 4 kids in the room while I do that does not thrill me. That is why I have not been since back then. They can't be left in the waiting room.

Stress will delay my period.

I have heard extreme diet and exercising can delay or stop periods.

No extreme diet or exercising. I have been eating healthie rbut no actual dietin and no exericse beyond a short walk each day.

Stress, yeah there is always lots of that. But there has always been lots of stress, I guess I thought it would have impacted before if it was going to, but maybe you are right.

I would rather it be due to stress than due to perimenopause

I am 34

Stress will delay my period.

I have heard extreme diet and exercising can delay or stop periods.

:iagree: in addition to the perimenopause, low body fat can change things.

ALSO - hypothyroid can cause cycles to go all whacky. Usually there are other symptoms too.

I thought I was peri - but it was my thyroid.

You know what is so funny about it that it is pathetic? MY cycle was the 1 and only really consistent thing in my life. No matter how chaotic everything else got it was always predictable kwim. I don't want a new normal, I want my old normal lol

As for the Dr, yipee. My GP retired almost 2 years ago. He was the Dr that did my mom's prenatal care and delivered me, then did my prenatal care etc. I do have a new one from the same clinic that took on my file (all of my old Dr's patients were given the names of 3 of the dr's in the clinic willing to take on old dr's patients). I met her once for a meet and greet type appt but have not actually seen her for anything. This will be fun, drive 2 hours to tell a stranger my period took a vacation without me :lol:

Yeah, fun. I will admit to being bad in that my last pap was when I found out I was pg with with dd4. I never even went back for the 6 week check up. I know they are going to want to do one when I go for an appt for this. Having my 4 kids in the room while I do that does not thrill me. That is why I have not been since back then. They can't be left in the waiting room.

I'm sorry! :grouphug: I know what you mean. It is upsetting when your cycles don't do what you expect, I don't know why it should be, but it is.

It sounds like doctor visits are rather difficult for you, but you really need to make them happen. It only becomes more important with time. :grouphug:

No extreme diet or exercising. I have been eating healthie rbut no actual dietin and no exericse beyond a short walk each day.

Stress, yeah there is always lots of that. But there has always been lots of stress, I guess I thought it would have impacted before if it was going to, but maybe you are right.

I would rather it be due to stress than due to perimenopause

It is probably just normal changes as you age I would say, but it might be worth it to go for an exam if you haven't had one recently.

Perimenopause can last a while - I think it is probably better to think of it as just a period in life where things are changing more, rather than the beginning of the end.:tongue_smilie:

Your DD, has she started her period? You may be synching up with her, because she is going to start or has recently started.

One of my friends now has TWO daughters who have both started with in the last 12 months. She synched with the first and then the second started two weeks into the cycle... she had another period. She and I laughed that she may have periods every two weeks to help both girls. I told her if that is the case, she needs to take a vacation for a month or two, come back when the daughters are synched to each other!

My first thought was perimenopaus, but you'd need to chart a few cycles to see. My periods have been a hot mess since a year after I had my tubal ligation. (Turning 35 this year) My cycles are much more frequent and unpredictable. I was diagnosed perimenopause and offered the pill to regulate. I was told this could go on for YEARS. I go back and forth on whether to go this route. It would make my life so much easier so its something I'm seriously considering. On the other hand, I hate to take drugs for something that I can learn to live with. In my case I have to factor in how my DH feels about it. He loves me for better or worse, but it does cause some tension between us because I can take something to help fix it and haven't.

Edited by NotAVampireLvr

Isn't that synching stuff wild???! I always do that when I am around a girl friend a lot! Whacky.

Being finished with Menopause by the time you are 50 is considered pretty early...but not too terribly so. You should probably visit your gyno and make sure everything is okay (thyroid, uterus, pap). If it is, though, then really this is pretty common. I have been whacky since my late 20's and I finally had the mirena put in to stop the craziness. It is still crazy, but not as bad as it once was.

Yeah, at your age I would agree that a trip to the doc is in order. It could be a myriad of things. Exercise, diet, weight, stress, all can change periods. And yes, you can start peri-menopause early, but usually only if your Mom started early. I have had symptoms since about 36ish like sweats the two nights before I start, wicked nightmares, a bit of dizziness, but no change in flow or anything. According to Christiane Northrup's menopause book symptoms can start up to 10 years before the actual change happens.

As far as kids in the room with you, make them stand at your head. I had to bring my kids when they were toddlers, now I make it a day when Daddy is working from home. lol I hear ya though! But it must be done, just in case it is something else that is more serious. You would rather be healthy for them and have them in there one day than not here for them later because you ignored some symptoms. JMO