Menu

Hands-on Equations?

TKDmom

Can you tell me abot this program? What ages do you use it for? What would you buy if you were just starting out with their materials? They look like fun, but I can't tell what's essential. I don't really want to buy (or watch) DVDs if I can avoid it.

Used it. Loved it. DS loved it, and gained much confidence from it.

It's been a long time ago now, so I may not be remembering everything correctly; but my memory is that we bought the homeschool kit. The video is short, and not at all the main thrust of the program. (It's like 10, 5 minute lessons.) I was glad to have it, myself.

The main thing we found useful was the workbook full of word problems. I can't remember the name of it now. My memory is that we did one single problem a day throughout the third grade and part of the fourth until we finished the entire book. The problems are redundant (in that once you master a type, it's easy for the child to get the whole set of problems), yet they are fun to work out. And it is so impressive to show Grandma how brilliant your kid is!

Highly recommend the program.

ETA: Just remembered -- that workbook was called something like "Verbal Equations." It was excellent.

We used it and loved it also. We've used it with 2nd to 7th graders. We got the most use out of the word problems book also, but everyone preferred the practice pages from the original lessons.

There are three levels: positive X problems, negative X (opposite of X), and negative numbers (with -x). I only taught my then-2nd grader Level 1 and it was very easy for him. He's a 3rd/4th grader now and can handle Level 2 problems. My 5th grader can get through all 3 levels, but I wouldn't expect any of my younger children to get through the Level 3 word problems.

My children have both been using it. My son started level 1 a couple of years ago. I had him do the level 1 lessons and then we spent the school year doing all the level one verbal equation problems at the rate of one or two a day. Sometimes I would do a section with him if they were difficult and then I'd have him go back and do them on his own again after we'd finished the section. He's just getting ready to start the 3rd level.

I did buy the dvd. I've heard people say it's not necessary and very easy to teach without the dvd, so I'm sure you don't need it.

The most important part of the program is actually the verbal equations book. That's where all the word problems are. The lessons to prepare for being able to do the word problems are short and sweet. We generally finish the ones for each level in about a week and then spend the rest of the year working on the word problems.

Lisa

Can you tell me abot this program? What ages do you use it for? What would you buy if you were just starting out with their materials? They look like fun, but I can't tell what's essential. I don't really want to buy (or watch) DVDs if I can avoid it.

We are in the middle of Hand on Equations Level 1. My son just turned seven. He recently finished Singapore Math 2B. Some problems of Singapore Math Challenging Word Problems 2 were not easy to do without setting up an equation, and we have decided that this is a good time for an introduction to algebra. We bought The Hands on Equations Learning System (a set containing lesson booklets and class sheets for all three levels and the recommended manipulatives) and Hand on Equations Verbal Problems Introductory Workbook, which can be used as soon as level 1 is completed (Level 1 is only 7 lessons, roughly one week worth of work.) We are planning to complete the Introductory Workbook before returning to our everyday curriculum (SM/Miquon mix.) I don't think you need the DVD.

Thanks for the input everyone!

We are in the middle of Hand on Equations Level 1. My son just turned seven. He recently finished Singapore Math 2B. Some problems of Singapore Math Challenging Word Problems 2 were not easy to do without setting up an equation, and we have decided that this is a good time for an introduction to algebra. We bought The Hands on Equations Learning System (a set containing lesson booklets and class sheets for all three levels and the recommended manipulatives) and Hand on Equations Verbal Problems Introductory Workbook, which can be used as soon as level 1 is completed (Level 1 is only 7 lessons, roughly one week worth of work.) We are planning to complete the Introductory Workbook before returning to our everyday curriculum (SM/Miquon mix.) I don't think you need the DVD.

This is what I've been thinking too. My dd is no longer using Singapore, but she is working through CWP 4 and she would rather start learning algebra than to keep muddling through with bar diagrams.

my kids ages 9 zone out on the man and the kids.

I just use the workbooks and lead them.

Teacher intensive for me. Definitely was not independent work for us like some other kids.

My kids require a LOT of hand holding.

They need me to talk through the problems and explain it etc.

Other kids can just watch the videos and just do it.

It depends on your kids.

Thanks for the input everyone!

This is what I've been thinking too. My dd is no longer using Singapore, but she is working through CWP 4 and she would rather start learning algebra than to keep muddling through with bar diagrams.

This is where we are too. DH spent about an hour today doing multivariable algebra with DS9 in order to solve some CWP4 problem....and I can't say it went well :tongue_smilie: Granted, the bar model was a challenge for this particular problem, so we thought that using algebra would be better, but I can't say it was. It was a _hard_ problem.

So maybe it's time to introduce HOE? Does HOE bring in multi-variable equations? DS can do single variable equations, even quite challenging ones, without too much difficulty. Thanks!

I got HOE mostly for the same reason-my DD really struggled to draw bar diagrams for problems because she could reason mathematically more accurately than she could draw. HOE gave her the bridge. I didn't use the video, just worked through the manuals with her and started the VP book when she got to the point that she could use it.

At this point, she's in SM 4B and is doing almost all her problems algebraically, and rarely uses the actual pawns anymore. She is DYING to start "Real algebra", so HOE has obviously done it's job of introducing the concepts in a way that made sense and was fun for her.

Does HOE bring in multi-variable equations? DS can do single variable equations, even quite challenging ones, without too much difficulty. Thanks!

No. Hands on Equations only has one variable; everything is solve for X.

You know, one thing you could do -- is just get the Verbal Equations workbook. I'm pretty sure the answers are in the book. If your son can solve the problems with what he knows already, just proceed slowly through the book. (The problems get very complex.)

If he needs to know the system that Hands on Equation uses in order to solve the equations, then you can go back and purchase the lessons.