Menu

Re: United Baggage Charges, Anyone want to join me..?

in a suggestion that they edit their new policy? I just called and told them that I felt that it unfairly penalized people like parents and the handicapped. Here is their new policy.

a $15 service fee will apply, each way, to check your first piece of baggage.

I'm not normally so "uppity" but if you are like me you don't carry any more than other people, but you just have your hands full... like with a wiggly four year-old. My suggestion is to just charge for x-number of bags over a limit, checked or unchecked, or just charge a nominal fee for all bags. What does it matter where on the plane they are? (I had heard these fees were because of the increase in fuel costs.) :rant:

If you are interested in contacting them, here is their customer relations info.

1-877-228-1327

Available 8a.m. - 7p.m. CST Mon-Fri

Email Customer Relations

I'm sure the other airlines could use a heads-up as well.

in a suggestion that they edit their new policy?

I have no problem with the new policy. I would rather people pay who use the services provided. I think they should charge by the pound for luggage.

Incidently, I usually do check a bag.

I don't understand why they don't just tack it onto the ticket price. It seems absurd. As if anyone travels with nothing.

Because a lot of people travel with only carry on. I can do it easily- I usually travel with on carry-on size rolling suitcase. I just usually choose to check it.

Business travelers generally travel with only carry-on.

I think people should budget $15-$25 above the ticket price for their luggage. I look at it as an increase in ticket price that applies to people with luggage. JMO

I don't understand why they don't just tack it onto the ticket price. It seems absurd. As if anyone travels with nothing.

Well, yes, dh travels frequently and rarely checks items.

When my family of four travels, we usually check 1 (maybe 2) bags, not 4. I'd rather pay $15 than $60.

in a suggestion that they edit their new policy? I just called and told them that I felt that it unfairly penalized people like parents and the handicapped. Here is their new policy.

I'm not normally so "uppity" but if you are like me you don't carry any more than other people, but you just have your hands full... like with a wiggly four year-old. My suggestion is to just charge for x-number of bags over a limit, checked or unchecked, or just charge a nominal fee for all bags. What does it matter where on the plane they are? (I had heard these fees were because of the increase in fuel costs.) :rant:

If you are interested in contacting them, here is their customer relations info.

1-877-228-1327

Available 8a.m. - 7p.m. CST Mon-Fri

Email Customer Relations

I hate to say it, but I disagree. Gas prices affect everyone including the airlines. The greater the weight, the more energy and gasoline the plane requires. Bags that need to be checked should cost extra--until cost of oil decreases. That being said, perhaps the airlines need to charge extra for people who weigh more because it's the same thing (theoretically). American Airlines is charging $15 or $25 per bag also. Might be time to travel light.

I guess I don't quite understand how people are disagreeing with me, unless I was just plain unclear... which is quite likely.

I have no problem with the need to charge more because of fuel prices, I get that. I just don't understand why the cost gets passed only on to people who check in bags. I agree with whoever said maybe we should go by total weight. I can't stand it when I see people who don't check their bags shove all their stuff on...(yes I have actually seen golf clubs as carry-ons) but according to this policy they still won't get charged even if they have more than me! I started checking my bags when I had a child so that I could actually use the bathroom in the airport while trying to handle my two year-old without lugging a cart into the stall with me. God-forbid I should ever have another child, what will I do then?

They have got to draw a line somewhere, and this is their line. I think it's fair to charge for extra bags. The carry-on rule is just one way to give people an incentive to bring just one bag.

I have traveled to Europe three times with little ones (once with an infant, once with a toddler and little girl, once with a 5yo and 9yo). The time I went with an infant I did NOT have dh along to help. I have traveled many times domestically in this time as well, sometimes with dh to help and often not.

I have learned the beauty of traveling extremely light. I also have learned the beauty of making the kids take charge of their own suitcases. When my ds was just 3yo he was quite handy about it. When he was much younger, able to walk, I made him carry his own diaper supplies in a tiny backpack--it worked well. I think it is entirely possible to manage at an airport with little ones and minimal luggage.

I hate to say it, but I disagree. Gas prices affect everyone including the airlines. The greater the weight, the more energy and gasoline the plane requires. Bags that need to be checked should cost extra--until cost of oil decreases. That being said, perhaps the airlines need to charge extra for people who weigh more because it's the same thing (theoretically). American Airlines is charging $15 or $25 per bag also. Might be time to travel light.

Funny, the last time DH's stepmom flew, they charged a $100 fuel surcharge. I thought that made sense to compensate for rising fuel costs, but not that AND baggage fees tacked on.

Suddenly, driving is looking less unreasonable again for our trip to Texas in the fall. Anyone know if Southwest Airlines is doing these extra fees?

I don't see how this policy is penalizing parents and the handicapped??? I've flown several times - just me and my, then, toddler son. He had a small toddler backpack that held his diapers, wet wipes, and sippy cups. I had a small carry-on.

I suspect that since the airline will be able to now charge for the checked baggage, that we may see them becoming more strict about the carry-ons.

I don't see how this policy is penalizing parents and the handicapped??? I've flown several times - just me and my, then, toddler son. He had a small toddler backpack that held his diapers, wet wipes, and sippy cups. I had a small carry-on.

If I traveled just me and one toddler, I could probably just do carry ons, too. But when we've flown, it's been me and my husband and 3 kids under 7. So we have the two older kids carry their own bags with books, stuffed animals, and snacks (and you DON'T want to be a passenger on a plane with us if we don't have this stuff). One of us carries the baby in a backpack carrier, the other one carries the carseat (I won't check carseats anywhere except at the gate, after one hellish experience with it getting lost when we were about to drive 3 hours in a rental car), and then we also carry the bag with the laptop/dvd player and a diaper bag. That leaves us each with exactly one hand free to corral loose children or hold the little one's hand when he's tired of the backpack and insists on walking. We check two big suitcases with clothes. It's a totally different situation than if we had 3 older kids who could each be responsible for one carry on size bag of clothes, no need for carseats, kids could look after themselves, no one needed to be carried. I hadn't thought of it before, but I totally see what the OP is saying; we don't bring any more total weight than 5 adult passengers (in luggage, but also not in people, since the kids pay full price but weigh much less than adults), and we actually bring far fewer total bags than we'd be allowed as carry-ons. We could certainly fit all our clothes and then some into our allotted number of carry-ons, but we couldn't physically get them through the airport to the plane, so we have to do fewer but bigger bags.

At any rate, we decided to avoid the whole thing and take the train for our trip up to visit family this summer. :tongue_smilie:

The costs involved in checked baggage really aren't just about fuel. It takes longer to check in a passenger with checked bags. It takes manpower to move the bags off and on the aircraft. It takes more staff to track bags that miss connections and must be driven to passengers at their destinations.

And while it might be possible for a passenger to put 50 lbs into carry on, most won't, so in the long run there may be a reduction in the amount of cargo carried. But even if there isn't there will be savings in the other areas.

And while I have seen people carry on outrageously large items in the past, I'm willing to bet that this will be cracked down on now too.

If I traveled just me and one toddler, I could probably just do carry ons, too. But when we've flown, it's been me and my husband and 3 kids under 7. So we have the two older kids carry their own bags with books, stuffed animals, and snacks (and you DON'T want to be a passenger on a plane with us if we don't have this stuff). One of us carries the baby in a backpack carrier, the other one carries the carseat (I won't check carseats anywhere except at the gate, after one hellish experience with it getting lost when we were about to drive 3 hours in a rental car), and then we also carry the bag with the laptop/dvd player and a diaper bag. That leaves us each with exactly one hand free to corral loose children or hold the little one's hand when he's tired of the backpack and insists on walking. We check two big suitcases with clothes. It's a totally different situation than if we had 3 older kids who could each be responsible for one carry on size bag of clothes, no need for carseats, kids could look after themselves, no one needed to be carried. I hadn't thought of it before, but I totally see what the OP is saying; we don't bring any more total weight than 5 adult passengers (in luggage, but also not in people, since the kids pay full price but weigh much less than adults), and we actually bring far fewer total bags than we'd be allowed as carry-ons. We could certainly fit all our clothes and then some into our allotted number of carry-ons, but we couldn't physically get them through the airport to the plane, so we have to do fewer but bigger bags.

At any rate, we decided to avoid the whole thing and take the train for our trip up to visit family this summer. :tongue_smilie:

Personally, this where I've always found a stroller to be very helpful. The baby or babies sit in the stroller, and I can usually hook the car seat and one or more carryons to the handles. In fact, I think when the twins were little I had the diaper bag and both car seats attached to the stroller. I need a wide path, but in airports it works.

At least in the past, you could gate check the stroller and it didn't count against your luggage allotment.

And while it might be possible for a passenger to put 50 lbs into carry on, most won't, so in the long run there may be a reduction in the amount of cargo carried.

And while I have seen people carry on outrageously large items in the past, I'm willing to bet that this will be cracked down on now too.

Your post made me think of my MIL. She always brings her own clothes iron and cooking pots b/c she doesn't like to use anyone else's (including family). Not to mention she packs THREE huge bags and a carry on. This is for a five day trip. She, honestly, is the type of person airlines are trying to penalize. Everyone else gets thrown into the rules and regs.

I guess I don't quite understand how people are disagreeing with me...

Hm, no I think you were clear. And I can understand the argument about handicapped people needing to be able to check luggage -- in fact, I would support a one-bag exemption for them...

But, no, I don't understand how it penalizes parents with children. In fact, I think it's a far more forgiving policy than attaching that fee to all tickets. This way, if my children and I can share a bag, we're charged only once for all of us, rather than once each.

One carry on and one checked bag? Any extra bags should have the additional charge. I haven't read the rule yet, but someone can actually pack a weeks worth of clothes for a family of 4 into one of those small carry on suitcases? They look pretty small to me.

One carry on and one checked bag? Any extra bags should have the additional charge. I haven't read the rule yet, but someone can actually pack a weeks worth of clothes for a family of 4 into one of those small carry on suitcases? They look pretty small to me.

A family of four could carry on up to four suitcases (of standard carry-on dimensions) and four personal bags (like a purse or child's backpack) for no additional charge. Or they could choose to check one or more bags for the price of $15 per bag. Yes, my family of four can easily go for a week with one checked bag, and that works out to a luggage fee of $3.75 per person.

Some are suggesting the $15 fee be added to the ticket price. But this way, we only pay for what we use. Rather than paying $60 extra in tickets for my family of four, we could check one bag for $15 or two for $30...

I was surprised to hear about the airlines cutting back on their number of flights. If they were having such a hard time of keeping costs down, why weren't they charging these fees in the first place.

I am surprised that even one airline is even going to charge for the bag you carry on and $2 for a soda.

Because the prices the airlines are charging today are getting extreme, I am wondering if airline travel will become a way of transportation only for the more affluent. I remember getting on a plane several years ago and noticing that my fellow passengers were similar to those that I had seen when I had ridden the Greyhound bus. Yes, those were the good old days.

The airlines were foolishly biting the bullet serveral years ago just to make flying affordable. Well, maybe the airlines weren't charging enough back in the good old days. With the cost of providing airport security, maintaining their airplanes, and paying for jet fuel, I guesss it is about time they wised up and figured out how to run a business.

Unfortunately, we, as the traveler, are being slapped with fees and charges left and right. I don't blame you for being upset about this...If an increase in the price of the ticket had been implemented slowly over time, maybe we travelers wouldn't be feeling so short changed. Once the airlines have figured things out with this new system, I believe they will be reducing or dropping some of these fees and charges..

In the meantime, you might want to take your own pretzels and cans of soda on your next flight to offset the extra charges.

Claire in NM

Hm, no I think you were clear. And I can understand the argument about handicapped people needing to be able to check luggage -- in fact, I would support a one-bag exemption for them...

But, no, I don't understand how it penalizes parents with children. In fact, I think it's a far more forgiving policy than attaching that fee to all tickets. This way, if my children and I can share a bag, we're charged only once for all of us, rather than once each.

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes then. I am not talking about how many bags people take on. It is just a question of penalizing those who choose to check their bags as opposed to carrying them on. I mentioned parents but I suppose I should have been more specific, parents with small children, who just have no more hands left. If you read an earlier post I mentioned going to the bathroom with a small child. Those are the situations for parents (and I'm sure the handicapped) that make checking on luggage so much more wise. I don't think it's more forgiving of a policy, if the cost is spread via the total weight of your bags or the number of bags then that is fair, but I don't think it is fair to just charge those who, in my argument at least, have a good reason for checking their bags.

And yes, if you and your children can share a bag then my idea benefits you as well and you can check it or not.

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes then. I am not talking about how many bags people take on. It is just a question of penalizing those who choose to check their bags as opposed to carrying them on. I mentioned parents but I suppose I should have been more specific, parents with small children, who just have no more hands left. If you read an earlier post I mentioned going to the bathroom with a small child. Those are the situations for parents (and I'm sure the handicapped) that make checking on luggage so much more wise. I don't think it's more forgiving of a policy, if the cost is spread via the total weight of your bags or the number of bags then that is fair, but I don't think it is fair to just charge those who, in my argument at least, have a good reason for checking their bags.

And yes, if you and your children can share a bag then my idea benefits you as well and you can check it or not.

Well, your plan would again increase the price and wait time overall by forcing *everyone* to wait in line and check in at a gate (at a time when airlines are trying to automate as much as possible). It's not possible to weigh all checked and carry-on luggage and asses fees accordingly without major changes, more waits, and more personnel on the part of the airlines.

And while, as I said, I do understand how this could be more difficult for someone with impaired mobility, I still don't get your argument about how this particularly penalizes parents. Yes, I've flown frequently with toddlers and preschoolers (though I'll admit it's easier now that my youngest is six, lol), and I still don't understand. It sounds like I have had an easier time of traveling with kids than you have experienced?

There are all sorts of reasons why people might want to check rather than carry bags on the plane. It's not restricted to parents... I don't think we should be privileged just for having kids.

The change is indeed something of a shock to our systems, I'll give ya that. ;) It's hard to accept change, especially when it hits our pocketbooks. But I think Claire made excellent points in that regard.

Well, your plan would again increase the price and wait time overall by forcing *everyone* to wait in line and check in at a gate (at a time when airlines are trying to automate as much as possible). It's not possible to weigh all checked and carry-on luggage and asses fees accordingly without major changes, more waits, and more personnel on the part of the airlines.

And while, as I said, I do understand how this could be more difficult for someone with impaired mobility, I still don't get your argument about how this particularly penalizes parents. Yes, I've flown frequently with toddlers and preschoolers (though I'll admit it's easier now that my youngest is six, lol), and I still don't understand. It sounds like I have had an easier time of traveling with kids than you have experienced?

There are all sorts of reasons why people might want to check rather than carry bags on the plane. It's not restricted to parents... I don't think we should be privileged just for having kids.

The change is indeed something of a shock to our systems, I'll give ya that. ;) It's hard to accept change, especially when it hits our pocketbooks. But I think Claire made excellent points in that regard.

I'm sorry I confused you. (You were answering ideas from other people so I was just working with those- I should have clarified.) My idea wouldn't have any of the terrible ramifications that you listed quite accurately. I just want them to charge for the bags they feel are in excess of whatever limit they choose, but not to charge you for where you decide to put them. In terms of fuel costs, which is what I have heard this is all about, it all costs the same regardless of where my bag is.

Ironically, although as you said, change usually does shock, this didn't bother me at all that they needed to offset their costs. I just would like to see it more equitably done.

I'm sorry I confused you. (You were answering ideas from other people so I was just working with those- I should have clarified.) My idea wouldn't have any of the terrible ramifications that you listed quite accurately. I just want them to charge for the bags they feel are in excess of whatever limit they choose, but not to charge you for where you decide to put them. In terms of fuel costs, which is what I have heard this is all about, it all costs the same regardless of where my bag is.

Ironically, although as you said, change usually does shock, this didn't bother me at all that they needed to offset their costs. I just would like to see it more equitably done.

No, you didn't confuse me. Doing what you suggest, whether by weight or number of bags would require every passenger to check in (rather than just those with checked baggage) and be assessed a fee. That in itself would require more personnel, more waits, more cost.

Suddenly, driving is looking less unreasonable again for our trip to Texas in the fall. Anyone know if Southwest Airlines is doing these extra fees?

Nope. Southwest is having a delightful time creating ads that blast the other guys for nickel and diming you. ;) Southwest is able to do this because they bought their gas (in the form of futures) a long time ago.

I guess I don't understand why you think that. Everyone checks in, either on-line or in person. If you check in on-line and they ask how many bags you have, etc., they would assess your over-limit fee per your answers. That would still be automated just like everything else. Those checking in bags would experience no difference. Their bags are scanned like normal and a simple fee is assessed.

Airline pilots/personnel are having a very scary time of it right now. Our companies are facing terrible times and our wages are so low (husband's salary is as low as 1993). With our company CEO's and boards taking ridiculous wages and bonuses, they are running the companies into the ground.

I am thankful that they are finally charging fares that come closer to covering our costs. If something doesn't change radically and soon, you will be seeing fewer companies on which you may choose to fly. The good old days with SouthWest and JetBlue have run traditional companies with different cost structures into difficult times. I pray this will spare my husband's company.

Management doesn't seem to think that flying 300 passengers around and being responsible for all that they are responsible for is worth much, evidently. My niece who is 25 has a job running a bulldozer. She has no college degree, no person's life is in her hands. She makes only $40k less than my husband. My husband is college educated, 12 years as a fighter pilot in the Marine Corps and 11 years as a pilot for a major carrier!!!

anyway, sore subject, sorry!

Airline pilots/personnel are having a very scary time of it right now. Our companies are facing terrible times and our wages are so low (husband's salary is as low as 1993). With our company CEO's and boards taking ridiculous wages and bonuses, they are running the companies into the ground.

I am thankful that they are finally charging fares that come closer to covering our costs. If something doesn't change radically and soon, you will be seeing fewer companies on which you may choose to fly. The good old days with SouthWest and JetBlue have run traditional companies with different cost structures into difficult times. I pray this will spare my husband's company.

Management doesn't seem to think that flying 300 passengers around and being responsible for all that they are responsible for is worth much, evidently. My niece who is 25 has a job running a bulldozer. She has no college degree, no person's life is in her hands. She makes only $40k less than my husband. My husband is college educated, 12 years as a fighter pilot in the Marine Corps and 11 years as a pilot for a major carrier!!!

anyway, sore subject, sorry!

From one pilot's wife to another...:grouphug:

Aviation is not for the faint hearted, is it? I wish you guys (and your company) well. I'm so thankful that my dh is flying for a smaller, private company these days. Much less stress--for the moment.

The other thing that makes being a pilot odd is that if you change companies you go to the bottom of the list for seniority. It's a little like being married to a company. It's not at all easy to jump from job to job.

We also need to carry 2 carseats through the airport. Before, the girls and I would have shared a backpack to carry-on and checked EVERYTHING else.

Now, we would be penalized for doing that.

The way to avoid the penalty is for 4 people to carry 2 carseats (for use in the plane) 4 personal items and 4 carry ons. Plus, keep a 5 year old and a 3 year old with us. Even having the umbrella stroller to gate-check would be only minor help. It might carry one of the carseats.

It's the same total amount of luggage. It has just increased how much we try to lug around the airport.

ETA: They have to make a profit, I just wished they counted the total amount of baggage you were bringing onboard and let you choose to check it or carry-on.

Because the prices the airlines are charging today are getting extreme, I am wondering if airline travel will become a way of transportation only for the more affluent. I remember getting on a plane several years ago and noticing that my fellow passengers were similar to those that I had seen when I had ridden the Greyhound bus. Yes, those were the good old days.

Yes, I've watched several financial analysts who are predicting that air travel will become something only for the well-off, kind of like it was back in the 1960s. They have to in order to quit losing money. They have to raise their prices to cover their increasing costs, and that is going to mean that more people get priced out of the market.

Southwest hedged their fuel prices. In other words, they made a contract sometime in the past to fuel in the future at the past low price ($60 per barrel). They bet that fuel prices would increase, and they won the bet. Other airlines didn't do that because they thought prices would go down. Because of that, Southwest's finances are comfortable compared to the other airlines--at least for the next couple of years, when the futures contracts expire.

I guess I wouldn't have a problem with this if there weren't so many new restrictions on what could go in carry-on bags. Before the 3 oz. liquid restriction I always went carry-on and I always pack light - one bag per person. Even when we went on a 2 week trip to France with a 3 year-old. Unfortunately, things like insect repellent and sunscreen don't come in a 3 oz. size and that wouldn't be enough even if it did. I also frequently need to bring grocery items like rice milk due to a dairy allergy since they are not readily available in some of the places we travel. I'd much rather see a 1 bag free policy with the option to check or not.