Menu

cat claw covers...need advice

More trouble than they're worth. Go get a good nail clipper (from the pet store, not a human one - they'll tell you which kind if you ask), and clip their claws. Doesn't hurt them any more than clipping your own fingernails - same rule applies, don't cut into anything pink.

End of problem, happy kitty, happy furniture.

More trouble than they're worth. Go get a good nail clipper (from the pet store, not a human one - they'll tell you which kind if you ask), and clip their claws. Doesn't hurt them any more than clipping your own fingernails - same rule applies, don't cut into anything pink.

I'd try clipping the claws, too, although I just use a regular nail clippers (just turn them sideways so the cat's claw is flat along the blade, and not the curved edges). A squirt bottle might help train her not to claw the furniture - just make sure you have several other acceptable options.

Yup!

yes, clip the nails and then squirt bottles locate around the home with apple cider vinegar added (enough to make it smell a bit). Must be consistent with them. She will eventually quit. Oh and a couple of scratching posts/boards rubbed with catnip to entice. Show her how to use them (take her over, scratch her paws against them gently).

Imagine yourself holding your cat, who may not be too thrilled at the prospect of having her nails messed with. So, cat in one hand. With the other, you're trying to squeeze superglue into tiny, little plastic sleeves. Then you have to insert each claw into a sleeve and hold it there for a few seconds while it bonds. I don't know your cat, but the experience drove my normally even-tempered Russian Blue to biting and squirming wildly. So to recap: squirming, p'd off cat + superglue + you. Even with an assistant, I wound up glued to the animal. More than once.

Plus, in my experience, claw caps fall off far sooner than the company claims.

Clippers are the way to go, I'd say.

Our kitty wears Kitty Caps. I do not use the glue that comes with the caps. That glue didn't seem to work. I buy super glue and use that instead. We got her in July and have been using the caps since then. She usually loses 1-3 every week or two so I just quickly replace them. My sister tried them for her cat and it didn't work. Her cat would not leave the caps alone and chewed them off. I think it really depends on your cat's personality on whether they will work for you or not.

My kitten lets us put claw covers on him. I wait until he's sleepy and then wrap him in a blanket. I've done it myself and with DH holding him and it is definitely easier with a partner. My kitty doesn't mind so much if I'm fast. Despite his cooperation, I usually end up glued to the glue bottle with several fingers stuck together before it is over. I keep superglue remover handy for that. We also clip his claws. The claw caps are much more effective than just clipping the nails. Ours only last about 2 weeks; probably because he likes to splash. I don't replace them right away. I usually wait until he has lost at least half of his claw covers. I am sure my adult cat would not be so cooperative but we've been putting the covers on my new cat since he was tiny so he's used to it.

Mine wore them until he was old enough to be declawed. I had young children in the house at the time and it was claw covers or rehoming as he had a scratching the toddlers problem. He was rescued from my MIL's backyard and came to us after a failed placement (their kid had SNs and almost killed kitty while playing). So we weren't really looking for a cat, but felt we could give him a loving home. He just had to lose his clawing ability.

I would never declaw. Mine wore them for about a year and then suddenly started pulling them off. Now i clip nails once a week and it seems to keep everything in check. I have 5 cats in the house, btw, along with leather furniture...and clipping nails regularly works for us.

When we were using the soft claws, I got it down to an art and was able to get them on in a quick amount of time without getting any glue on myself. It does get easier if you choose to go the route. I am just not going to pay $20 for 40 caps with 5 cats who chew them right back off the minute you get them on there. Doesn't matter how long I let the glue bond, etc. My cats also got used to getting them put on and would sit very nicely in my lap until I finished. :)

Edited by Tree House Academy

Imagine yourself holding your cat, who may not be too thrilled at the prospect of having her nails messed with. So, cat in one hand. With the other, you're trying to squeeze superglue into tiny, little plastic sleeves. Then you have to insert each claw into a sleeve and hold it there for a few seconds while it bonds. I don't know your cat, but the experience drove my normally even-tempered Russian Blue to biting and squirming wildly. So to recap: squirming, p'd off cat + superglue + you. Even with an assistant, I wound up glued to the animal. More than once.

Plus, in my experience, claw caps fall off far sooner than the company claims.

Clippers are the way to go, I'd say.

:lol::lol::lol: