Menu

Spiral-math that complements Singapore

sweetpea3829

My DD (6) struggles tremendously with math. She just.doesn't.get it. She doesn't understand number concept, she struggles with 1:1 correspondence, she struggles with understanding the relationship between numbers and the relationship between numbers and quantity.

She does not master math concepts, not without a tremendous amount of practice and revisiting the same concept over and over again.

Currently we have Singapore and are working through K-A. She FINALLY understands how to order numbers. But I know that two weeks from now, if I don't revisit this concept again, she'll forget the concept.

Can anybody recommend a good spiral-math program that would complement Singapore?

It cannot be internet-based. Though if there are any good math software programs (that work with XP on a very old computer) that you could recommend, that would be great. Math games, etc.

Thanks for any help!

Workbook reinforcement: Horizons math is a great spiral program with tons of review, almost too much for kids who get it.

Or you could go with reinforcement through games. In that case I would get just the Rightstart Math games book (yellow book) and the card package that goes with it. You can play those games over and over again and they are a fun way to reinforce.

We currently use Horizons as our spine and play Rightstart games on Fridays. It's working great for my two children who learn completely different from eachother.

Workbook reinforcement: Horizons math is a great spiral program with tons of review, almost too much for kids who get it.

Or you could go with reinforcement through games. In that case I would get just the Rightstart Math games book (yellow book) and the card package that goes with it. You can play those games over and over again and they are a fun way to reinforce.

We currently use Horizons as our spine and play Rightstart games on Fridays. It's working great for my two children who learn completely different from eachother.

I have to be honest...lol, I actually have NO idea how to use an abacus. It's one of the reasons I've never given much thought to Rightstart. We never used an abacus when I was in school.

How tightly does Horizons spiral? How often does it revisit a concept?

I am using Horizons K with Singapore 1 and finding that it works well. I am waiting for Horizons 1 to arrive and will see how that goes though I have heard that there is a lot of repetition from Horizons K to 1. They seem to revisit the concept every day for a good few days and then every few days and then again later on (though this is just my impression - I haven't gone to look at this too closely) My daughter does well with the spiral approach but I also like that Singapore gives a lot of different methods of approaching a problem.

I have to be honest...lol, I actually have NO idea how to use an abacus. It's one of the reasons I've never given much thought to Rightstart. We never used an abacus when I was in school.
The Right Start alabacus is a teaching and visualization tool, not a traditional abacus. Give it a look.

:001_smile:

I can't remember the exact formula in Horizon's and the cat is settled on my lap. I think they introduce and work a bit each day for a week, then every other day for maybe 2 weeks, then the concept goes away for a couple of weeks and then comes back to be practiced again. If you can find a sample online of a teacher's manual it should have it or I'll come back and update at another time.

My dd is currently finishing Singapore math track with NEM 4. We have enjoyed some of it more than other parts but she really wants to complete it all. During the beganning years you can get a,supplement called challenging math problems--and they are! But really good story problems, we worked one year behind our Singapore main text and did 1 page a day(two or three problems). We also used a Beka math. In the lower grades I just bought the workbooks no answer books. The kids liked them because they were colorful and they could write in them. New concepts are clearly introduced and there are always review problems. I hope this helps:)

They review daily for a week or 2 (depending on the concept) then will review once a week for a couple weeks then every few days for a couple weeks. It works great for my kids!! We love it!

I was intimidated by the alabacus before we started as well. It wasn't that hard at all to figure out though only took about 10 min of me playing around with it before I figured out what she was teaching the kids with it. My son loves working with it... but is not dependent upon it either as we don't use it except for games. He never was able to visualize it in his head as the author of rightstart states. It has been a great manipulative for us though.

Horizons revisits a concept almost every day. It is very repetitive and works well for children who need the constant review. For my son in 3rd grade Horizons we have actually started crossing out problems he doesn't need the review in sometimes we even skip whole sections. Many people use it for supplementing Singapore. Although if your child doesn't like doing worksheets the rightstart games would be a better choice in my opinion.

We did Rightstart A and B this year as our spine and supplemented with Singapore 1a/b. This was an excellent combination for us. I plan to use this combination with all my children. I have no "grass is greener" envy of any other curriculum. That was THE perfect math start for my ds. Next year we will go to Singapore as our spine, knowing we have such a great foundation built in RS.

They teach you in RS how to use an abacus in detail - it's actually very easy! Do not let that keep you from using RS.