Menu

Dd's have discovered...

show tunes! Well, not "discovered" - they've always liked musicals. But now they've started *learning all the words* and *belting them out constantly* *while I'm trying to drive!!!*

The youngest (10) had a friend stay over last night, and now they've indoctrinated her as well. We picked up two of the elder's friends to drive to a GS event this morning, and they spent the ride watching this spectacle in stunned silence.

So whatever your kids are doing to drive you crazy, give thanks that at least they're not singing "Part of Your World" for the 1000th time, or "Do re mi" again.

:blink:

Now that just warms the cockles of my heart.

I love musicals and I can carry on whole conversations in lines from show tunes. My friend Pam and I really do things like that. In front of others. It's a good way to get our husbands to leave the room anyway.

So yeah, encourage that. If you're sick of those songs teach them some new ones. My girls love Annie and Once Upon a Mattress. Oh, and our most recent one is Wicked. There are so many great ones. Okay, I'll stop now. I'm gonna start singing.

My husband Pretends that he doesn't like it when I belt those tunes....but I know better....he starts to worry if I don't do it often enough. he thinks I'm unhappy.

I'm training my kids too. They know lots of songs. We sing loud in the car. :D

But, we tone it down when Daddy is with us.....or when one of us isn't in the mood.:glare:

Yeah we tone it down for Daddy too.

And oldest ds tries to act like he shares Dad's feelings, but he really doesn't. He can play "Name that show tune" as well as any of my kids, or better. Heh heh heh, it's subtle, isn't it? :lol:

I'm raising a couple of theatre geeks. Between the two of them, they've been in 11 shows in the past two and a half years, and we all end up learning the soundtrack to every one of them.

Currently, my daughter is playing Aladdin over and over and over in preparation for a production she'll be in later this summer. (She actually starts rehearsals for another show tomorrow, but it's not a musical.)

When we had the graduation party for our daughter last summer, pretty much all of the music she requested we play came from soundtrack albums. She and her friends then spent the whole evening singing (and dancing) along. In fact, her "speech" was an a capella rendition of "Good Morning, Baltimore" from Hairspray.

And, yes, "Name That Showtune" is a hotly contested passtime here, too.

When we had the graduation party for our daughter last summer, pretty much all of the music she requested we play came from soundtrack albums. She and her friends then spent the whole evening singing (and dancing) along. In fact, her "speech" was an a capella rendition of "Good Morning, Baltimore" from Hairspray.

And, yes, "Name That Showtune" is a hotly contested passtime here, too.

Not to hijack the thread, but am I reading your sig line correctly? Is your dd really 13 and a sophomore in college? Wow.

show tunes! Well, not "discovered" - they've always liked musicals. But now they've started *learning all the words* and *belting them out constantly* *while I'm trying to drive!!!*

The youngest (10) had a friend stay over last night, and now they've indoctrinated her as well. We picked up two of the elder's friends to drive to a GS event this morning, and they spent the ride watching this spectacle in stunned silence.

So whatever your kids are doing to drive you crazy, give thanks that at least they're not singing "Part of Your World" for the 1000th time, or "Do re mi" again.

Midnight confession here...I sing showtunes in the car. My latest fav is:

Trouble, oh we got trouble,

Right here in River City!

With a capital "T"

That rhymes with "P"

And that stands for Pool,

That stands for pool.

We've surely got trouble!

Right here in River City,

Right here!

Gotta figger out a way

To keep the young ones moral after school!

Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble...

I'm good. You should hear me.;)

South Pacific, West Side Story, The Music Man, The Sound of Music.

Oh, Camelot was a huge favorite, the King and I, my Mom loved show tunes and we were raised hearing them alway. She adored "You'll Never Walk Alone"

My Fair Lady was good, oh there are so many good ones! Get them some of the classics to play with, you will get sick of Disney pretty fast. :)

Oliver Twist, Newsies, Annie.......

Good times!

hahahaaa! Resistance is futile! :lol:

And so if I understand correctly, what you're saying is THIS IS NOT A PHASE!!!??? They won't grow out of it? It's just going to progress?

Well, if ya can't beat 'em... The phan-------------tom-of-the-o-per-a-is-there inside your mind (yeah, tell me about it.):001_smile:

& begged their mom to let them put on a musical at the house. Well, that was the start of their non profit theater company called "Broadway on the Driveway". They did it every summer at their house until one year the police were called & they were told they needed to get a bigger venue.:001_smile: They have been doing this over 10 years now & are using a college auditorium. They have a live volunteer orchestra as well. They have even written & produced their own musical about Norman Rockwell & the Four Freedoms. (My dh helped write some of the music & led the orchestra). They are writing yet another one. This year they are producing Little Women. During the rest of the year the 2 sisters raise money by going to different venues singing show tunes & Big Band numbers, and teach tap dance at local coops.

Lol... My kids sing the most awesome duet of "What is this feeling? (Loathing!)" from Wicked! We go through phases... Into the Woods, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Wicked...

But when Daddy's in the car with us and they begin to shout, "Play Wicked! Track 4!", I have to remind them, "Daddy doesn't really enjoy listening to that stuff... We'll listen when he's not with us" lol... Poor Daddy. ;) As dd says, he "just doesn't get it!"

lol, I am enjoying this thread.

I don't know many musicals, but I have to say that many mornings find me singing "little girls' from Annie...

...not a morning person here...

Newsies, now that was great...going to go have to rent it for my kids...

My mother about killed me with show tunes. I think by ten, I knew the lyrics to the Fantastics, A Little Night Music, Man of La Mancha, Three Penny Opera, etc.

I took a lot of therapy and sometime before I could enjoy this art form again.

Given what you said about your mother sharing (er, tormenting you with) her musicals, you might enjoy the following book:

What Would Barbra Do?: How Musicals Changed My Life by Emma Brockes. See here http://www.amazon.com/What-Would-Barbra-Do-Musicals/dp/0061254614

for details.

Regards,

Kareni

& begged their mom to let them put on a musical at the house. Well, that was the start of their non profit theater company called "Broadway on the Driveway". They did it every summer at their house until one year the police were called & they were told they needed to get a bigger venue.:001_smile: They have been doing this over 10 years now & are using a college auditorium. They have a live volunteer orchestra as well. They have even written & produced their own musical about Norman Rockwell & the Four Freedoms. (My dh helped write some of the music & led the orchestra). They are writing yet another one. This year they are producing Little Women. During the rest of the year the 2 sisters raise money by going to different venues singing show tunes & Big Band numbers, and teach tap dance at local coops.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! Is this them?

Reminds me of Surviving the Applewhites! (Well, in that there are homeschoolers and there is a musical staged...)

Given what you said about your mother sharing (er, tormenting you with) her musicals, you might enjoy the following book:

What Would Barbra Do?: How Musicals Changed My Life by Emma Brockes. See here http://www.amazon.com/What-Would-Barbra-Do-Musicals/dp/0061254614

for details.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks! On my wish list. I think my mom might enjoy reading this as well. She still loves her musicals!