Menu

What to do about C.A.T. test for son?

I recently decided to do C.A.T. test with James to see how well he does. He seems to get things more when I read them out loud to him versus when he just reads them to himself. I think he rushes and just picks the first thing that strikes his fancy. He's getting better but still misses alot unless I'm guiding him. Soooo..... What to do with C.A.T.? Do I just let him take it and sink or swim. Or work with him since I know his weaknesses and read the questions out loud to him. The directions say not to. Do they allow for accommodations? He did the comprehension portion today and missed half. So I'm thinking. What do you guys do?

I would ask the place you got the test from, if you can do any accomodating. I would think, tho, that being able to read the test is part of the test--so maybe that tells you he needs something? (Seems to me you already know that.)

I feel it's a little like a friend of mine, who thought the spelling was unfair, so she taught her kid to spell all the words on the spelling portion, and then gave him the test...:glare:

Well, I think a reading comprehension test is about how well he can read and comprehend. It isn't a listening comprehension test. So no, I wouldn't read it outloud to him. I would start figuring out what is going on though, and figure out if he needs more work on reading, or has some other issue going on. If there is a real disability there you will want it documented before he goes to college. What I mean is, in college he will have a lot of reading to do, and if he can't comprehend there is a chance he could get a reader to read to him, but would need documentation. If it isn't a disability and just a preference he needs to work on it.

I recently decided to do C.A.T. test with James to see how well he does. He seems to get things more when I read them out loud to him versus when he just reads them to himself. I think he rushes and just picks the first thing that strikes his fancy. He's getting better but still misses alot unless I'm guiding him. Soooo..... What to do with C.A.T.? Do I just let him take it and sink or swim. Or work with him since I know his weaknesses and read the questions out loud to him. The directions say not to. Do they allow for accommodations? He did the comprehension portion today and missed half. So I'm thinking. What do you guys do?

He is 12? Unless he has a documented disability, he needs to be able to read it himself.

I would have him take the test according to the proctor directions.

:iagree:

If you help him with the test, your results won't have meaning. You need to know what he can do and where he needs help. It might be an eye opener- you might even be surprised that he does better than you think he will.

He is 12? Unless he has a documented disability, he needs to be able to read it himself.

and yes unless there are documented accommodation you can't do it. It is standardized so that means everyone does it the same.

And I do think that he should be able to do it himself and let the chips fall.

Once I started sharing with my youngest about how his scores were on the test he started caring about how he was doing on it. Before then it was just get it done.

He would probably benifit from doing the Specturm test prep books, look for the ones that don't have color but just test questions.

Have him work through those. teaching him HOW TO take the test. there is a skill to doing test too.

I work with kids afterschool the program we use works on teaching the kids to "rule out 2".

But if you are doing it now then he should just take it.

You may also look for someone who does testing to get a more accurate measurement of his level. There is a test called Woodcock-Johnson that is a one on one test.

Maybe some will think I'm harsh but my then 7 yr old took her first CAT last year and yes, Ellie, it was sink or swim. :) She sunk in the reading comprehension part. I consoled her afterwards, but no way was I going to interfere with the process while happening. (I also did a second reading comprehension test with her a week later as a "rematch" and she did better).

Unless your 12 year old has identified issues, I would think you would want to know where he stands so you can adjust your schooling to fortify his weak points. I came away from proctoring that first exam with a 1/2 page of typed notes on how to refine our schooling for the next year.

:grouphug:

Thanks. You all are absolutely right. We have been and are working on his comprehension skills. Hubby looked through the test last night and I got an earful about all the bad grammar and the use of advertisements and flyers and making the kids do advertisement analysis. Just going to let all his answers fly as. Made hubby realize what we are teaching James is so much better than what it looks like they are teaching in public school. Made my case for continuing to home school. :thumbup1:

and yes unless there are documented accommodation you can't do it. It is standardized so that means everyone does it the same.

:iagree:

It was a hard fight to get places to allow homeschoolers to give these tests to their own dc. They are trusting us to follow the directions.

As far as the content, I don't know any actual schools that give the CAT, so I wouldn't judge schools by that. Around here, they all give the Stanford, the ITBS, and the state tests.

I agree about letting him sink or swim and seeing what he needs to work on.

It was a hard fight to get places to allow homeschoolers to give these tests to their own dc. They are trusting us to follow the directions.

That is an interesting point.

ETA: My 10yo dd flew through her second standardized test. She made careless errors left and right. I pointed out the numerous errors to her at the time, and then reminded her of them when her score was lower than it had been on the first test! It was a good "teachable moment".

Edited by Julianna